• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

CONFIRMED Official Lollipop 5.1 for Moto X 2013 [UPDATED 06-19-2015]

Search This thread

md07

Jun 26, 2010
Thanks for that! A few more questions to clarify and avoid a brick:

1. Do I have to redo the GSM unlock even if the phone is currently carrier unlocked?
2. I do the GSM unlock AFTER doing the update 5.1, right?
3. Is there a way to do the unlock on a Mac? I have no Windows/PC.
4. Will the phone remain rooted and unlocked bootloader?
5. If I go back to the US in a few months, will I be able to later flash a Sprint version to get it on Sprint LTE again?

Just to make sure ... currently I'm on:

Code:
Andoid 4.4.4

baseband
MSM8960PRO_BP_2323.038.123.00R

Kernel 3.4.42-gcac35be
[email protected] #1

HW version
P30

System version
212.44.28.ghost_sprint.Sprint.en.US

Build number
KXA21.12-L1.28

So is this the correct xt1053 to flash:
"TMO_RETAIL_XT1053_4.4.4_213.44.1_MR4_CFC.xml.zip"
?

Thanks!

You must unlock gsm network again when you flashed 4.4.4 xt1053 if you want to use 4.4.4. Or you can do that once after you updated ota ( use Wi-Fi update). Because ota process will lock gsm again.
You can go back sprint when sprint release 5.1 full flash firmware. You can't downgrade from higher firmware to lower

Reactions: Roroow

ese002

Jun 24, 2015
I did that, but TWRP ends up just failing saying "Error flashing zip". It must be failing somewhere else down the line. I'm on 4.4.4 KXA21.12-L1.29.1/2 but somehow it thinks that i'm on 4.4 13.11.1Q2.X-69-3/51 so I can't flash normally. I used TMO_RETAIL_XT1053_4.4.4_213.44.1.ghost_row.Retail.en.US_MR4_CFC.tgz when going back to stock so I don't know what's going on.

Did you find a solution yet? I'm seeing the same problem:

Package expects build fingerprint of motorola/ghost_retail/ghost:4.4.4/KXA21.12-L1.29.1/2:user/release-keys or motorola/ghost_retail/ghost:5.1/LPA23.12-15/15:user/release-keys; this device has motorola/ghost_retail/ghost:4.4/13.11.1Q2.X-69-3/51:user/release-keys.

And I'm definitely on 4.4.4

I tried editing the first two lines of updater-script to remove the version check but it just fails at the next check:
"/system/app/3c_main.apk has unexpected contents";

Arak-Nafein

Sep 9, 2010
Hello people,

Could anyone with 5.1 confirm that there is no more Wave to Wake function ? :( This is so frustrating that might not even want to upgrade to lolipop. If so is it planned to be implemented in near future ? :/

Thanks

There is no wave to wake. I don't see them implementing it ever, because it wasn't a feature to begin with. It was an unintended bug. The real "wave to wake" on the 2014 Moto X is triggered by IR sensors on the face that the 2013 Moto X does not have.

The reason wave to wake ever worked on the 2013 Moto X is because, of what I'm guessing is, an overly sensitive proximity sensor. The proximity sensor is to detect when the phone is removed form the pocket (and other things, like dimming the screen when you hold the phone to your ear) Wave to wake was only introduced in 4.4.4, it never existed before that and Motorola never mentioned adding any "wave to wake" feature.

sunnycheeba

Dec 4, 2012
.... Motorola never mentioned adding any "wave to wake" feature.

Moto X (1st Gen.) - Android™ 5.1 Lollipop - Release Notes
Moto Display and Ambient Display While your phone’s display is off, Moto Display will continue to surface relevant notifications to you using the low-power Contextual Computing Processor. It will also intelligently react when you use the Approach gesture under Moto Actions.

this is what the Lolipoop release notes read for the 2013 Moto X. @ https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/prod_answer_detail/a_id/105221

Motorola has subsequently rewritten the release notes to now read.
While your phone’s display is off, Moto Display will continue to surface relevant notifications to you using the low-power Contextual Computing Processor.

Android Lollipop now includes a similar feature, called Ambient Display, that displays notifications like those shown on the lockscreen. If you prefer to try the new Ambient Display feature, you can uncheck the Moto Display setting in the Moto app. Note: Ambient Display does not use Motorola’s low-power core and will turn on more of the display, so battery life may be impacted. The Moto Actions Approach gesture will not wake Ambient Display.

I think Motorola is backtracking.

What do you think they meant by "will also intelligently react when you use the Approach gesture"?

no fanbois comments please

Last edited:

jcrahul

Feb 19, 2013
Mumbai
this is what the Lolipoop release notes read for the 2013 Moto X. @ https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/prod_answer_detail/a_id/105221

Motorola has subsequently rewritten the release notes to now read.

I think Motorola is backtracking.

What do you think they meant by "will also intelligently react when you use the Approach gesture"?

no fanbois comments please

ya but that was written for "AMBIENT DISPLAY" not moto display :eek:

sunnycheeba

Dec 4, 2012

It very clearly reads in the original release notes:

Moto X (1st Gen.) - Android™ 5.1 Lollipop - Release Notes
Moto Display and Ambient Display While your phone’s display is off, Moto Display will continue to surface relevant notifications to you using the low-power Contextual Computing Processor. It will also intelligently react when you use the Approach gesture under Moto Actions.

aledex

Oct 28, 2010
Veneto
Previously asked for cell standby issue. any answers?

Now after full charge one of the app which I am not using (after full charge) is consuming battery. Any help on this?
Nope. Unplugged yesterday night. 6% of battery in 7 hours, which is great.
But this morning it has lost more than 30% in less than 2 hours, with 22% of battery standby and 1 hour of screen time (wifi on, sync off).
I tried to factory reset the phone without any result.
I eventually bought a power bank, because otherwise I can't arrive to 3pm.

samrudh.kumar

Dec 26, 2014
Nope. Unplugged yesterday night. 6% of battery in 7 hours, which is great.
But this morning it has lost more than 30% in less than 2 hours, with 22% of battery standby and 1 hour of screen time (wifi on, sync off).
I tried to factory reset the phone without any result.
I eventually bought a power bank, because otherwise I can't arrive to 3pm.

This happens only when you enable mobile data. To prevent this from happening turn off the mobile data restart your phone and use only wifi it seems to help.
But once you enable mobile data this problem starts up. But disabling and restarting has helped me. It has something to do with the mobile wifi handoff for seamless VoIP conversations.

Emiliano55

Aug 13, 2012

It's pretty clear. Motorola said wave to wake will not work by using it with ambient display, giving for granted it will eventually WORK with Moto Display, as it states before that.

Motorola is contradicting about this feature not being implemented. When the soak test was released I read that they will add the wake to wave feature under the gesture settings in 'Moto' options. However, the final release still only have the camera gesture.

Anyway, the feature (or bug, whatever you call it) its not there anymore and I doubt it will ever be. But I'm pretty sure Motorola had the intention to implement it, and for some reason it didn't make it.

rupterr

Dec 3, 2013
The "wave to wake" feature was nice to have but I personally did not use it that much. I mean your hand is right by the phone anyway, so I didn't see a big deal in just nudging the phone slightly for the display to become active.

After 3 days of usage I'm getting used to lollipop and it's features. I like how you can search for apps in the app tray rather than scrolling thru and finding them. You just swipe down and the search comes right up. Battery life is about the same for me, around 18hrs of battery life with 3 or so hours of SOT. I stream Pandora for 6hrs a day, text and email , surf the web a little, and make maybe an hour or so of phone calls. It's off the charger at 6am and back on around 11 pm with maybe 10% left on the battery.

Reactions: stealtheye

KidJoe

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Aug 23, 2008
Thorndale/Romansville, PA
Anyone know when will.be available the full images? In my case for xt1058

Sent from my Moto X using XDA Free mobile app
Moto will post the XT1053 and XT1060 images on their web site since those are the GSM and CDMA Dev Editions. We could only guess at their time table. I'll go out on a limb and suggest it will be posted when they finally get around to it. Likely after 5.1 push has been completed.

As for the others like XT1052, XT1056, XT1058, XT1049, etc... and the carrier versions like ATT, Rogers, Republic, etc.. Moto never posts those. We wait for LEAKS.. i.e. someone with the ability to grab them from inside Moto (likely risking their job since they are moto property and moto doesn't make them freely available).. So we can NEVER count on them being available, or even know a time frame.

Reactions: gabo_10

Litoven

Jan 14, 2008
Anyone has the issue that it shows updating apps everytime it is turned on? Have two 1053 with correct OTA and they run perfect but they do this every single time you turn them on.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

AleyKsi

Dec 31, 2011
Strasbourg
Is there any way to speed up the voice feedback when we get a message or a notification ?

I tried to modify the settings in the "input" tab of the system, but it's not affecting the moto app.

looby

Dec 14, 2007
wave to wake

The wave to wake feature is bit of a 'deal breaker' for me. I have installed the Google Now Launcher for the time being which gives a taste of Lollipop. Hope the feature returns in a future update.....:mad

jcrahul

Feb 19, 2013
Mumbai
It's pretty clear. Motorola said wave to wake will not work by using it with ambient display, giving for granted it will eventually WORK with Moto Display, as it states before that.

Motorola is contradicting about this feature not being implemented. When the soak test was released I read that they will add the wake to wave feature under the gesture settings in 'Moto' options. However, the final release still only have the camera gesture.

Anyway, the feature (or bug, whatever you call it) its not there anymore and I doubt it will ever be. But I'm pretty sure Motorola had the intention to implement it, and for some reason it didn't make it.

I dont think this was a bug.... as the 2014 has 4 sensors on 4 corners..... and as soon as you approach the phone the display lights up.... where as on the moto x 2013 if you hover your hand over the phone the display lights up.... probably they might be having issues running it, as the proximity sensor is always on (in 5.1 had observed this when i had flashed the xt1058 first soak build) which should not happen in the case if the wave to wake is disabled.

ONE MORE THING FOR THE CURRENT 5.1 users.. please tell us if the proximity sensor is on or not when the phone is in standby mode..... if it is on that means the wave to wake should work and the only reason it is not working is because it not working is a bug......

Last edited:

superkeest

Mar 28, 2010
is it really that difficult to press the button, if your waiving at it your hand is literally 3 inches from the button. Are you people really that lazy?

stealtheye

Jan 14, 2015
On 5.1 GB with correct OTA. After OTA I wiped clean and started fresh. I've noticed that I can't long hold on the notification try setting shortcuts to access the full settings in the settings app for that specific thing I'm long holding on. For e.g. I can't long hold on location to go to the locations settings. Was this a CM feature?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Sweet. Can't wait to rock this in 2017!
    Source: David Schuster - https://plus.google.com/+DavidSchuster/posts/cV4vDyyMmw2

LATEST UPDATE [06-19-2015]

Full deployment has started for US Retail, Brazil Retail and Rogers in Canada.

Source: David Schuster - https://plus.google.com/+DavidSchuster/posts/bEVD4De32Uo

UPDATE [06-09-2015]

"I wanted to give a quick update on where we are with the Lollipop upgrades for the 2013 Moto X (1st Gen) devices.

We have started full soak testing in France and Germany retail this week with the expectation of full deployment next week if all goes well.

In addition, we have addressed an issue we found in a previous soak test and should start full soak testing in the US and Brazil for retail later this week. If all goes well, full deployment can happen the following week.

There were some questions about support for Lollipop upgrades from our carrier channels. We are in a number of the carrier labs now so we don't anticipate issues in getting the upgrades deployed. As you guys know.... the carrier channels typically take longer.

UPDATE: If all goes well with the soak testing this week we expect to start deployment for 2013 Moto X (1st gen) in India next week."

Source: David Schuster - https://plus.google.com/+DavidSchuster/posts/ETpoNrkmmrA

UPDATE [04-22-2015]

Due to the "leaks" about 5.1 "updates rolling out" in Brazil, here's some trusted words in regard to 5.1 current state:

"We're still in testing. We'll post something in the parked comments when it moves to the Soak stage and then again when full deployment happens. Don't always believe what you read online."

Source: Motorola Forums Manager (Mark).
    Here is twrp backup of 5.1 . I upload it that you don't mess your boot loader and modem.
    Works perfect with my xt1052

Use TWRP 2.8.5.0 and restore system and boot
    Erase data cache and dalvik cache

https://mega.co.nz/#!zMZ2mCLQ!tOcVdbj4uaIEKvhVR320RXRyr3HklXS4Cq3NtbrMFkM

Enjoy!
    For anyone who doesn't want to edit the updater-script or is not comfortable with flashing an update, I've made a TWRP backup.

222.21.15_ghost_US
    XT1053 Developer Edition OTA (4.4.4 to 5.1)
    https://goo.gl/BHVIdj