Confirmed S4 Proximity Sensor Bug

Search This thread

hernanmcarg

May 23, 2009
Hello everyone, a few days ago i posted a question regarding the proximity sensor staying on all the time, even with every gesture option turned off. After trying several stock ROMs and a couple of different S4, all of them have the same issue. I have to note tho that with every ROM previous to MG5, the sensor stays on all the time, and when using the MG5 India ROM the sensor is off, except while using the stock browser, when it turns on after a few minutes, or after making a phonecall the sensor stays on and it only turns off restarting the phone.
This is seriously very weird. I have had many phones, and i've never seen anything like this. Just in case, i want to remark that every single gesture option, auto screen brightness and eye scroll and all those functions were disabled. Every single one. I even thought it could be i had a faulty phone, but i tried two more and they do exactly the same. Has anyone noticed this using a custom ROM? It's easier to see using another's phone camera.

samomamo

Jul 17, 2010
Hello everyone, a few days ago i posted a question regarding the proximity sensor staying on all the time, even with every gesture option turned off. After trying several stock ROMs and a couple of different S4, all of them have the same issue. I have to note tho that with every ROM previous to MG5, the sensor stays on all the time, and when using the MG5 India ROM the sensor is off, except while using the stock browser, when it turns on after a few minutes, or after making a phonecall the sensor stays on and it only turns off restarting the phone.
This is seriously very weird. I have had many phones, and i've never seen anything like this. Just in case, i want to remark that every single gesture option, auto screen brightness and eye scroll and all those functions were disabled. Every single one. I even thought it could be i had a faulty phone, but i tried two more and they do exactly the same. Has anyone noticed this using a custom ROM? It's easier to see using another's phone camera.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2402121

Sent from my LG-E980 using xda premium

Reactions: hernanmcarg

hernanmcarg

May 23, 2009

Samomamo thanks a lot for your reply, but if you read what i said and what says in that post, we're talking about completely different things. In that post the guy had a problem with the sensor not working. I never said it didn't work, it works perfectly, it just stays on (aka, you can see a dim red light coming from it) but it works without any problems. Besides, he ended up having a defective phone, and like I said above, i tried 3 phones, from different companies, one of them brand new, and all of them had the same behaviour so I think i can safely discard a hardware problem (unless all three phones were defective, which is unlikely to happen).
Still, thanks for your reply!!:good:

plasmastate

Sep 5, 2012
Hello everyone, a few days ago i posted a question regarding the proximity sensor staying on all the time, even with every gesture option turned off. After trying several stock ROMs and a couple of different S4, all of them have the same issue. I have to note tho that with every ROM previous to ......

This is very strange, I also have stock browser as my primary browser running mg5 but I don't see the proximity sensor light going up (even in darkness). I do web browsing and reading for hours. Is this how you see your proximity sensor light showing slight red? I am still figuring out what you said and will confirm my own findings later today. Will update.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using xda premium

---------- Post added at 12:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:45 AM ----------
First of all, you are right. The proximity sensor does light up when everything is turned off. Literally Smart feature and even smart pause is turned off. So the proximity sensor shouldn't be turned on in the first place. Now that this is clear, Here is what I've found so far.

Bug present in stock browser, not in chrome. The way it turns on the proximity sensor is that as soon as you type any URL in the address bar and press enter, the sensor gets turned on and stays like that unless and until:

-You pull down the notification bar

OR

-Press home button and run the browser again (notice that the browser is still in RAM so we aren't restarting the app).

Then (assuming you have the website already open). You can browse all you want within the website pressing links and what not. But as soon as you use the address bar again, the sensor wakes up again. This is seriously strange and definitely a bug from the software end and not the hardware end.

LAMESUNG is prolly too busy releasing note3 and Galaxy Godzilla 20". So we don't know when will we see the fix for this. Let's hope on the 4.3 update after a couple months.

@ Everyone trying custom Roms and kernals.
Please confirm this if you experience this same issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: hernanmcarg

hernanmcarg

May 23, 2009
Plasmastate thank you for testing it. My phone does exactly the same thing you described. One more thing. Look at the sensor through a digital camera or another's phone camera and you'll see it's always on although you can't see it with your bare eyes. The most weird thing is my brother has an iphone 5 and it has the same issue after recent software updates. This is well catalogued in apple forums. Strange huh?

im4eversmart

Jun 13, 2013
Beirut
This is very strange, I also have stock browser as my primary browser running mg5 but I don't see the proximity sensor light going up (even in darkness). I do web browsing and reading for hours. Is this how you see your proximity sensor light showing slight red? I am still figuring out what you said and will confirm my own findings later today. Will update.

---------- Post added at 12:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:45 AM ----------
First of all, you are right. The proximity sensor does light up when everything is turned off. Literally Smart feature and even smart pause is turned off. So the proximity sensor shouldn't be turned on in the first place. Now that this is clear, Here is what I've found so far.

Bug present in stock browser, not in chrome. The way it turns on the proximity sensor is that as soon as you type any URL in the address bar and press enter, the sensor gets turned on and stays like that unless and until:

OR

-Press home button and run the browser again (notice that the browser is still in RAM so we aren't restarting the app).

Then (assuming you have the website already open). You can browse all you want within the website pressing links and what not. But as soon as you use the address bar again, the sensor wakes up again. This is seriously strange and definitely a bug from the software end and not the hardware end.

LAMESUNG is prolly too busy releasing note3 and Galaxy Godzilla 20". So we don't know when will we see the fix for this. Let's hope on the 4.3 update after a couple months.

i have none of those issues you guys mentioned.

hernanmcarg

May 23, 2009
I just noticed you guys have custom kernels/roms, so obviously this is a stock rom bug. I should also add that the phone works flawlessly. There's no excessive battery consumption or lag or anything and the sensor works fine.

Last edited:

greeny2010

Dec 21, 2010
BPJ
Are the sensors working when you have a third-party launcher? I use Apex launcher and none of the sensors is working. Even when using the stock TW, some of the sensors are not working also.

Using the factory test mode, all sensors are working.

hernanmcarg

May 23, 2009
All sensor work fine. I tested another S4, it has the sensor on all the time aswell. This is seriously very weird

Cesconeto

Apr 29, 2011
The problem seems to be dirt. I used one of those "webcam microscopes" to take some pictures of the sensors and frant facing camnera. It appears that some units have a sealing problem on these components and they may get pretty dirty.

2013-10-17_11-04-55-.jpg
2013-10-17_11-05-01-.jpg
2013-10-17_11-04-08-.jpg
The front facing camera can get pretty disgusting.
2013-10-17_11-02-58-.jpg

I didnt have time to open it up and clean yet, but I will post the results as soon as I do.

Lou1337

Jun 14, 2013
I confirm that the problem comes from dust. Some people has said that it can be solved using a can of compressed air in the earphone in order to blow dust away.

Last edited:
Reactions: israelnobrega

rpboronat

Nov 8, 2012
I have done the solution of the can of compressed air two months ago and I have solve it. I haven't that problem since that time.

Enviado desde mi GT-I9505 mediante Tapatalk

Reactions: israelnobrega

NDELEON

Dec 21, 2012
Lagos
I am on 4.3, Russian Update. Today, after installing Cm 11 the proximity bug was no more there. So I don't think compressed can air will do any good. Have tried all means possible to reports this to Samsung but it seems Samsung bluntly does not want to hear any of it customers complaints as they are busy with Galaxy s5. below is a screen of the proximity bug before I flashed cm11

Attachments

• 30112013516-002.jpg
    30112013516-002.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2402121

Sent from my LG-E980 using xda premium
    Hello everyone, a few days ago i posted a question regarding the proximity sensor staying on all the time, even with every gesture option turned off. After trying several stock ROMs and a couple of different S4, all of them have the same issue. I have to note tho that with every ROM previous to ......

OR

I confirm that the problem comes from dust. Some people has said that it can be solved using a can of compressed air in the earphone in order to blow dust away.
    I have done the solution of the can of compressed air two months ago and I have solve it. I haven't that problem since that time.

Enviado desde mi GT-I9505 mediante Tapatalk
    My experience with the proximity sensor. Compressed air from outside did not help. I opened the device and removed the ear piece/ proximity sensor unit. This is quite easy. Just watch the appropriate youtube video and get the right screw driver. There was a lot of dirt on the ear piece which came through the grill of the ear speaker. After cleaning it up everything works fine. :good: