Confirming what is possible w/ a sm-g9601U

xdainnadiplace

Jan 21, 2021
Been trying to follow up on the latest with this particular model and just want to verify my understanding:
  • I CANNOT flash a recovery or custom rom to this phone as the US bootloaders are locked (there may be some ways but it still doesn't yield full flashing/capabilities)
  • I CAN still root this phone
  • I CAN still de-google & debloat the phone through root access

I realize these are not all model particular and more root basics so the first is the most important question and the rest I am validating my understanding as it's been a while since I've daily drove any rooted device let alone one custom flashed. I think the s2 was my last w/ Cyanogen lol

Thanks to all!

ShaDisNX255

Apr 3, 2014
Matamoros
Been trying to follow up on the latest with this particular model and just want to verify my understanding:
  • I CANNOT flash a recovery or custom rom to this phone as the US bootloaders are locked (there may be some ways but it still doesn't yield full flashing/capabilities)
  • I CAN still root this phone
  • I CAN still de-google & debloat the phone through root access

I realize these are not all model particular and more root basics so the first is the most important question and the rest I am validating my understanding as it's been a while since I've daily drove any rooted device let alone one custom flashed. I think the s2 was my last w/ Cyanogen lol

Thanks to all!
You cannot flash a custom recovery but you can flash a GSI (which sort of counts as a ROM), the other two are correct. And yes, flashing a GSI will have tons of bugs so be aware of that.