• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Confusion between Camera Sensors?

Search This thread

Dhruv_Agarwal

Dec 31, 2016
Moradabad
Hello, I have purchased Redmi Note 4 (sd 625) India via Flipkart. The same phone is also purchased by my friend via Flipkart.
But I notice variation between my and his camera and when I dig out the problem I come to the result that both phone has different camera modules.
I've a Sony imx258 back camera but he has a Samsung S5k3l8 back camera. So, I contacted some more Redmi Note 4 users and some of them have Samsung Sensor while some have sony.
So my question is while flashing any custom ROM will my camera work or not? As I think the camera blobs for both devices are different.

Note:- To view your camera sensor just go to Settings>About Phone>tap kernel version 5 times>version information.

Attachments

• IMG_20171001_133537.jpg
    IMG_20171001_133537.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 1,560
  • IMG_20171001_133314.jpg
    IMG_20171001_133314.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 1,556
Last edited:

tbiwalkar

Mar 4, 2014
Kalyan
OnePlus 7
OnePlus 9 Pro
Hello, I have purchased Redmi Note 4 (sd 625) India via Flipkart. The same phone is also purchased by my friend via Flipkart.
But I notice variation between my and his camera and when I dig out the problem I come to the result that both phone has different camera modules.
I've a Sony imx258 back camera but he has a Samsung S5k3l8 back camera. So, I contacted some more Redmi Note 4 users and some of them have Samsung Sensor while some have sony.
So my question is while flashing any custom ROM will my camera work or not? As I think the camera blobs for both devices are different.
Note:- To view your camera sensor just go to Settings>About Phone>tap kernel version 5 times>version information.

Camera works fine for both sensors . However, the slow motion and other feature enabling tricks work only on Sony sensor.

Reactions: Dhruv_Agarwal

Stuart0610

Feb 20, 2016
You got lucky. Xiaomi changed the camera sensor from first Sony to Samsung and then to Omnivision. Sony is the best, Samsung is fine and Omnivision is the worst out of this three sensors.

You shouldn't get any difference if installing a custom ROM

Reactions: Dhruv_Agarwal

Aman Singh

Nov 24, 2015
Hyderabad
My friend broke his RN4 display and he's selling the phone and when I asked him, He is willing to exchange the camera sensor(He has the sony sensor whereas I've the samsung) Can I just pop out his camera sensor and plug it in into my device or things are different on the software level too?

yohyah

Sep 10, 2011
Canada
My friend broke his RN4 display and he's selling the phone and when I asked him, He is willing to exchange the camera sensor(He has the sony sensor whereas I've the samsung) Can I just pop out his camera sensor and plug it in into my device or things are different on the software level too?

Technically it should work because the drivers for the 3 different modules are already installed within the ROM.

What is the product number of you and your friend's device? It should be on the box (2016101 or 2016102). And would you be able to take a picture of your friend's Sony module? A lot of people on a different thread are trying to replace their Samusng/Omnivision modules with about 50% success because we don't know the exact numbers of module code of the IMX258

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: Aman Singh

Aman Singh

Nov 24, 2015
Hyderabad
Technically it should work because the drivers for the 3 different modules are already installed within the ROM.

What is the product number of you and your friend's device? It should be on the box (2016101 or 2016102). And would you be able to take a picture of your friend's Sony module? A lot of people on a different thread are trying to replace their Samusng/Omnivision modules with about 50% success because we don't know the exact numbers of module code of the IMX258

Thanks in advance!
Mine is 2016100 IDK his, I'll need to check. Well I'm on a Custom ROM so hope that can support it, I'll try, if it works or will revert back if that can be done :p
Thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Camera works fine for both sensors . However, the slow motion and other feature enabling tricks work only on Sony sensor.
    You got lucky. Xiaomi changed the camera sensor from first Sony to Samsung and then to Omnivision. Sony is the best, Samsung is fine and Omnivision is the worst out of this three sensors.

You shouldn't get any difference if installing a custom ROM

Thanks in advance!