• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Conspiracy] Xposed for Lollipop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Punchieo

Oct 2, 2014
Manasquan
Well guys, looks like Xposed for 5.0 won't ever happen.

REVISION: This edit was added on 2.13.14
The above statement was purely a joke when Xposed for LP was merely a dream. To clarify, as of now there is no ETA for Xposed. Ever. Don't ask. Stop. Don't think of it. If you ask, you shall be banned as of the words of the moderator.

I know it may be hard to read sometimes, so I started a new paragraph. If you are confused, look up. ETAs don't exist on this developer website. Thank you.

Xposed is IN THE WORKS and no, there is no beta version. If you beg to differ, post a comment. Don't flame me or anybody.

=D have a WONDERFUL, hate free day.

Last edited:

ahecht

Oct 23, 2010
The full comment posted at https://github.com/rovo89/Xposed/issues/18 is:

Thanks guys. Actually, there is no need to worry about alternative approaches. It's not easy to "hack" ART in a similar way as Dalvik, but it's generally working.

What most people forget:

a) ART isn't the only new thing in Lollipop. SELinux requires a lot of extra code and even more thoughts to work around the restrictions. And 64 bit breaks the assumption that everything starts in a single process, as there are two Zygote processes now. I think it's important to consider this right from the start.

b) The actual (net) time required to write code is far away from the time that passes. It's not like I work on Xposed every evening. There are weeks when I don't look at the code at all. Yes, I do have other things in my life, and some have a higher priority. So even if something would take just a few evenings to code, it might take me a couple of weeks to actually do it. And once I publish something, you probably wouldn't like it if I took off for a few weeks.

If it was just about coding, pushing the source could be helpful. But that works best if there's already a clear concept of what is needed and an idea how this can be split up into work packages. Often it takes hours to come up with a concept that can be coded in 20 lines. Remember how many people are using Xposed meanwhile. We don't want to have some quick code that works by accident, so it's vital to think everything through carefully, and that takes time.

So yeah. It will take more time, I still don't give any ETA, but I'm quite confident that we'll have something nice some day.

tonyp

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 3, 2011
No new "work in progress" sources = no help from other contributors. That's it.
You can probably count the people who really understand Xposed and how it works at one hand (and you'll basically have to start from scratch for lollipop).
It's not like there were hundreds of contributors in the past, so what you're trying to say here is invalid.

Yes, there would probably be some people who could help out, but keep in mind that every minute rovo is helping others to better understand what's going on isn't available for him to do some actual development (which includes research and drafting ideas).

I'm sure that any top tier dev who feels confident to actually bring xposed for lollipop forward can contact rovo anytime and get his wip code, but so far no one has spoken out.

The sad truth is that 95% of the xda users are people without any real technical knowledge - and the only thing they do is to offer to "test" something to gain access to something before it's release.
Unfortunately those testers are rarely ever needed, at least not within the core development phase, here it takes way more time to explain people what is needed than to just test it yourself.
When you're rolling something out to production and want to make sure that the last little bugs within different usage cases and configurations are squashed, sure you'll need testers, but not before.
But for now that's not the case, so it might be better to keep the unhelpful comments to oneself

Last edited:

Punchieo

Oct 2, 2014
Manasquan
Liar :rolleyes:
If you can't offer something better then be patient.

Just like the op stated.... Its a JOKE
He had 666 Followers and I thought it was funny and would lighten up a few peoples stress filled days. The only reason I saw this was because I was going through his posts and READING all of them to get an update as to where we stand.

(To all you downers out there, its called a joke. Laugh about it. Next thread.)

I found it for you ^ since sometimes I know its REALLY hard to understand the concept of a joke.

Primokorn

Nov 17, 2012
Just like the op stated.... Its a JOKE
He had 666 Followers and I thought it was funny and would lighten up a few peoples stress filled days. The only reason I saw this was because I was going through his posts and READING all of them to get an update as to where we stand.

I found it for you ^ since sometimes I know its REALLY hard to understand the concept of a joke.
Yep sorry I misread your post. I feel a little bit stressed with all this story lol
Anyways, 666 is the patience and Rovo the angel :D

mr.pavlov

Dec 30, 2012
Madrid
Hi guys! Yeah, I'm part of those 95% (I'm a lawyer), but I'm very grateful to rovo for his work. I have Nexus 5, but I'm still on Android 4.4.4 because of Xposed, and I'm not going to update to 5.0 until the new version of Xposed is done. You can see how important it is for me. @rovo89, I'm pretty sure that many people would pay you to complete your work. I understand that you have higher priorities and you are doing all of this for fun, but have you thought that you have almost 3 millions of downloads? If you create your team of software engineers and sell Xposed at 2$ (2€), you work on it every day for several months, and we assume that most of the current users buy your product, you will have enough money to pay your team and dedicate all of your time at what you want. It's just a suggestion of one of these 3 millions of users, that would pay more than 2$ and appreciate your work so much! ;) Best regards from Spain! ;)

kingvortex

Mar 25, 2010
rovo has said on multiple occasions that he won't take money for working on Xposed as he does not want it to become a job where he feels obligated to work on it full time.
He's working on it already. Offers of monetary gain won't make that work go any faster. Everyone will just have to be patient. :)

Sent from my C6603

pyler

Jan 13, 2013
We don't know if he is really doing on it (I hope yes but..) since we have no proofs (only claims) and no documentable code progress since August 2014. Plus, rovo89 was active here last year till August or so. Then he left.

If there are people who want work on it and have enough skills to port it, they should fork it and not wait. I saw some guys on github who want to work on ART port.

kingvortex

Mar 25, 2010
He flat out stated he would not post progress publicly either on GitHub or here and to wait until he had something worth publishing (that real contributors could help with) without bothering him. Comments on issues on GitHub do show he is/was working on it.

The real problem is that people are impatient and feel entitled to updates on progress, even though rovo explicitly stated that he wouldn't be doing that.

As for others *wanting* to work on it; nobody is stopping them forking the project and doing so. If they get it working then that would be fantastic and I'm sure everyone including rovo would be happy and grateful. That's the great thing about open source. :)

Sent from my C6603

HippoMan

May 5, 2009
Hippoland
1. Work hard to create something really, really useful.
2. Make it (and all the resources for re-creating it) available for free.
3. Millions of people use it.
4. Decide not to work so hard on it.
5. Get hounded day in and day out for months by thousands of people.

This is a classic example of "No good deed goes unpunished".

Rovo is a saint. In his shoes, I would have told all of the "hounders" to f**k off a long time ago.

In other words, people, learn how to be grateful, get off of Rovo's case, and move on.
.​

Last edited:

Rix70

Jun 18, 2009
Catania
i'm a user and for me is normally this long time...the system of cache is completaly changed....and see it immediately in the booting process and the loading apps process.
Be patient!

nasempire

Dec 23, 2013
I hope you are wrong

Well guys, looks like Xposed for 5.0 won't ever happen.

(To all you downers out there, its called a joke. Laugh about it. Next thread.)
It is already 2015 and there is still no support for lollipop. It was working fine with jelly bean. I just installed a custom lollipop rom and I wanted to user xposed with greenify. It seems I have to wait and your saying will just be a conspiracy. You should really stop creating this kind of threads. Value people's creativity. That fact that, there is a delay doors not mean it will not be made. If for anything at all, give them some morale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Soon... :) Working very well already.
    No new "work in progress" sources = no help from other contributors. That's it.
    You can probably count the people who really understand Xposed and how it works at one hand (and you'll basically have to start from scratch for lollipop).
    It's not like there were hundreds of contributors in the past, so what you're trying to say here is invalid.

Yes, there would probably be some people who could help out, but keep in mind that every minute rovo is helping others to better understand what's going on isn't available for him to do some actual development (which includes research and drafting ideas).

I'm sure that any top tier dev who feels confident to actually bring xposed for lollipop forward can contact rovo anytime and get his wip code, but so far no one has spoken out.

The sad truth is that 95% of the xda users are people without any real technical knowledge - and the only thing they do is to offer to "test" something to gain access to something before it's release.
    Unfortunately those testers are rarely ever needed, at least not within the core development phase, here it takes way more time to explain people what is needed than to just test it yourself.
    When you're rolling something out to production and want to make sure that the last little bugs within different usage cases and configurations are squashed, sure you'll need testers, but not before.
    But for now that's not the case, so it might be better to keep the unhelpful comments to oneself
    Not everything in life is about money. Some people do things just for the enjoyment of creating something.

rovo said he isn't accepting donations because it would make it feel like a job that he was obligated to work on full time.

Sent from my C6603
    On the other hand, I so much enjoyed his work that I feel bad not having some way to be more grateful than hitting the thanks button and filling his thank-o-meter.

Doesn't have to be money- I would consider something respectful like sending him and wife to dinner at some fancy restaurant, nothing asked in return. Just appreciation for what he did for me.

I'm sure many feel the same, but Rovo refuses and I respect him. I actually don't know the man, but I have a lot of respect for him.
    Wow seems some just dont have any idea. Well let me let you in on something. I only warn once and then you end up banned.

Now all the childish name calling and arguing stops. The next insult issued will get you banned from the site for good.

I dont care if you like xposed or not. If you like it then use it and shut up. If not then dont use it and shut up. Either way stop the school yard antic. This is a developers site. Not a rom site and not a user site.

Now it has been awhile since I have had to repost this but it seems that a point needs to be made again.

Bottom line is people just cant talk to anyone any damn way they feel. This is not a site to make people popular. Hell I dont give a **** how many people use the kernel, rom, mod, or hack. Act like a fool and you deserve to be banned for good. The rules are here for a reason. Either follow them or leave, your chose.

Now I have had to hold my tounge on this for a while but no longer.
    XDA is a developers site
    XDA is a free forum you are ALLOWED to use. We could make it invite only
    XDA is and always will be about the developers. And before you say without the users there would be no XDA, Bull****, who do you think used the stuff before normal people even knew what a smartphone was......wait for it.........other developers. People that could give good feedback with relavent info. Like Logcats and crash messages. Not just "dahhh this is broken, please fix". And even Maybe help fix what is broken.

XDA is not a place to come and make your phone cool.
    XDA is not the cool place for idiots to hang out.
    XDA is not your friends house
    XDA is not a democracy
    XDA is not a place to make Money.

XDA IS a place to come to learn and share your knowledge. If you are not here for those reasons then you are here for the wrong ones.

I have watched XDA become a place where every dumbass in the world has a smartphone and comes here thinking they have the right to anything. Well guess what? You dont have the right to ****. We share it because we want to and we dont if we dont feel like it. Are the Developers or the Mods required to make you happy? Nope not in the least. Wanna leave. Go ahead. I beg you, please do. The less people that are asking dumb question cause they dont know what they are doing (this is understood when your new, but at least look) or are too lazy to look for it the better.
    I read all the stuff here. Some questions I have to ask from every one who don't like Xposed Framwork, including @Kryten2k35

Ok guys, you're right that every GOOD developer should be able to bring anything useful to his rom when his rom users ask.

But what about NOT wasting time of developer over these codes? Instead of hours of work for Nav Bar customization options, he can work for other things that no Xposed Module can bring. Like the one @JustArchi did on JustArchi's ArchiDroid Optimizations - Increases performance up to 6x

Now imagine if @JustArchi worked over 200 hours to make every byte of his rom customizable without Xposed Modules. What was the real benefit?

Regards. :)

The first rule of making any software - don't reinvent the wheel. The second rule - don't repeat yourself.

There is xposed, and people like it. I even included it in my ROMs, so people can tick during flashing if they want xposed, or not. If they do, it even comes preactivated, so users don't need to do anything apart from installing some useful modules.

I see that some of you bring ArchiDroid example as "unique" ROM, actually, I'm really happy to see that. AD is developed by me, to suit my needs. It has many unique features, mostly because nobody invented something I use/want in the the way I want. One time I had to test some C/C++ code, and asked myself "why I don't have gcc in my android", and this is how AD's pocket debian was born. Another time "god, I hate these adds, and applying MoAB adds 5 seconds delay, why I can't have my own DNS server on my droid?", bah, AD's adblock was born. List goes on...

Xposed offers great power, but that great power comes with great responsibility. I'm not a big fan of customizing droid to the limits. I'm not a fan of eye-candy features that I don't use, unlimited customizability, which I don't need, and 1928 clock icons to choose from. I'm minimalist, that's why I prefer to focus on low-level stuff which benefits all users (such as optimizations, adblock, pocket debian, haveged, archikernel), and leave high-level framework stuff to either CM team, or Xposed.

So, yeah. I'm happy that xposed is coming, even considering the fact that I don't use it, because I don't need it.

Does xposed kills development? No. It does not. If somebody prefers to spend time to add all missing features to stock ROMs, by decompiling apps and rewriting the smali, instead of using xposed and writing one-time module that does the same thing in universal way, then he violates both rules, he reinvents the wheel, and repeats himself with each update.

Developing ROM is an art. Some people put minimal to none work on their ROMs, they just compile from sources, and that's fine. Other people do the same with stock ROMs, all they do is mixing apps, putting aroma, implementing mods, and "magical build.prop tweaks", they're not special as well. In the meantime, the real developers are working on CM sources, improving device support, or they're simply implementing totally new things to improve ROM's experience. I'm not sure if any ROM here includes independent operating system inside operating system, this is AD's unique feature, and I'm proud of that.

The thing is, we're all here working on our hobbies, not lifetime job. AD is my hobby project, which I'm even using in my engineering thesis next year, because it's innovative and brings features some people could not even imagine. But NOTHING would exist if all of us did not cooperate. AD includes many third-party utilities, including xposed, and thanks to the synergy of them all, plus my unique features, ROM is that good.

However, there is always space for improving something.