constant "Bluetooth keeps stopping"

Search This thread

iwestfall7062

Jan 15, 2020
Ask to speak to someone higher up, they gave me that crap but eventually I got someone who was willing to put a warranty claim through. But by then the warranty was expired >.>

smapdi

Mar 22, 2008
to make it worse, Google told me the phone still has an extended warranty but I'm not the original owner and have no way to contact that individual. But you need that person's email address for it to work. So it was purchased but because of this technicality it's null and void. I get the security of it but it's still garbage

I have the extended warranty that I paid for when I bought the phones in October 2018 but Google told me to contact Assurant in order to take advantage of it. They wanted me to pay a $129 deductible for what is clearly an internal fault (software or otherwise) and not due to use. I may have to rethink purchasing any more Pixel phones in the future after this experience.

Reactions: nay_

sn4rf

Jun 5, 2020
Just to tag onto this post.
I have been having the exact issue that the OP describes with my Pixel 3XL for months at this point. Constant rebooting is the only temporary fix that I have found.

OP in this thread is way more knowledgeable than I am. I have tried clearing cache and storage, resetting network settings, turning off Bluetooth scanning, etc. Did an OTA sideload. Did a factory reset. None of it stops the issue. One series of reboot loops appeared to corrupt my settings in some way, causing wallpaper to reset to default and basically all settings to default, as well as home button to stop working.

Factory reset fixed the settings issue, but the Bluetooth problem persists.

I have noticed that the Google Play Sysyem version has almost always reverted back one revision when the problem occurs (I cannot confirm that it always happens, but every time I have checked it has happened). Right now, current Play System date is May, 2020. When the problem happens, it shows March 2020. Prior to May 2020 update, it would should the January date when the issue occurs. In January, it would be the December date (or September? I don't remember exactly). Resetting to a stable wi-fi condition and then updating the Google Play System seems to buy the most time between the problem occuring, but doesn't fix it.

I have also noticed a correlation between Google Play Music downloading something in background and the issue occuring. Same thing with Verizon AVS Foreground Services running in the background and the issue occuring. I may just be paranoid though. All three of these things - Google Play Music, Verizon AVS Foreground, and the Bluetooth problem are frequent enough that it could just be coincidence.

So, no answers here, just solidarity that this is a problem I guess.

nay_

Jun 6, 2020
California
In the google support thread someone posted a log. From that snippet I interweb searched

hal_bluetooth_default:s0

The most interesting google results concern selinux

Stackoverflow question 58549258, How to fix these SE Linux policy changes?, might be a good launching point. I would link to it but cannot.

(I completed 7 recaptchas in 27 clicks to post this. FUn)

Warelan

Dec 7, 2014
I have been having the exact issue that the OP describes with my Pixel 3XL for months at this point. Constant rebooting is the only temporary fix that I have found.

OP in this thread is way more knowledgeable than I am. I have tried clearing cache and storage, resetting network settings, turning off Bluetooth scanning, etc. Did an OTA sideload. Did a factory reset. None of it stops the issue. One series of reboot loops appeared to corrupt my settings in some way, causing wallpaper to reset to default and basically all settings to default, as well as home button to stop working.

I have noticed that the Google Play Sysyem version has almost always reverted back one revision when the problem occurs (I cannot confirm that it always happens, but every time I have checked it has happened). Right now, current Play System date is May, 2020. When the problem happens, it shows March 2020. Prior to May 2020 update, it would should the January date when the issue occurs. In January, it would be the December date (or September? I don't remember exactly). Resetting to a stable wi-fi condition and then updating the Google Play System seems to buy the most time between the problem occuring, but doesn't fix it.

I have also noticed a correlation between Google Play Music downloading something in background and the issue occuring. Same thing with Verizon AVS Foreground Services running in the background and the issue occuring. I may just be paranoid though. All three of these things - Google Play Music, Verizon AVS Foreground, and the Bluetooth problem are frequent enough that it could just be coincidence.

So, no answers here, just solidarity that this is a problem I guess.

Same problem here - I don't know yet how to completely roll back to a 2018 build or even android 9 but the problem is getting worse. I just spent the last 30 minutes trying to get my device to boot up and remain booted. Finally got it booted into safe mode, I haven't tried turning on the wireless. No bluetooth devices connected, this started with a android update and google also told me sorry outside of warranty it would be ~400 to repair.

bilatche

Dec 7, 2010
hi there,
same here with motorola one (android 10, 1st may security update)
BT keeps stopping.

after a factory reset via recovery, BT was working fine (I was playing music on my BT speaker)
But after few minutes (and google services updated in back ground), BT crashes in loop again...

and same effect here, google play music tries to check something when I tun off BT.

SO THIS IS A SOFTWARE ONLY ISSUE BETWEEN GOOGLE SYSTEM AND BT.

Last edited:

bilatche

Dec 7, 2010
UPDATE:
I dont know why and how, but I fixed the (BT keeps stopping" issue a few minutes ago on my motorola one (android 10 stock, last security update)....

I decided to install Youtube vanced (only order to avoid ads on youtube...) with micro G for login....

and now, My BT is working fine....

awesome....

Pedro2NR

Sep 14, 2007
Los Angeles
I have the same issue. I give up.
I had tried a few band-aids and now they have stopped working.

The band-aids I have tried was restarting into safe mode.
Restarting into safe mode and knocking on the lower side of the phone.

My wife's Pixel 3XL and my Pixel 3 both have this issue. She moved on to another phone.
There are manufacturing or design issues and they both started after the warranty time-frame.

bond17_007

Dec 27, 2009
I had opted in for Android 11 beta. Bluetooth keeps crashing became worse. Now both WiFi and Bluetooth won’t turn on. I tried going back to old firmware no luck. I think it bricked the hardware

imirsay

Oct 17, 2019
Im having this same exact issue. Android 9 was always super smooth. It all started with the Android 10 update. I was having all kinds of Radio related (wifi/bluetooth/data) issues ever since. I noticed sometime in Nov/Dec that google released some kind of radio system app update and things got a little better. But I still have the Bluetooth problem (like today, which prompted me to find this thread) or every once in a while ill lose all data connectivity and have to reboot my phone for everything to come back. I LOVE the dark theme, but this has to be the worst Android update from a stability standpoint ive ever experienced.

Just want you to know it isnt just you. Its something to do with some phones on Android 10

yes u have xiaomi mi a3 and I have this problem.
In Android 9, I could not use Wi-Fi and Bluetooth at the same time.
And in Android 10, Bluetooth does not work at all

bilatche

Dec 7, 2010
Only software issue from Android services
BT looped after a hard reset
I fixed it by chance by installing YouTube vanced with microG.
After this, BT worked fine....

boqcasts

Oct 9, 2020
I've been plagued with this issue for about 9 months now. Its been driving me insane. Tried custom roms, android beta, full wipes, cache wipes, erasing network settings, safe mode and about a billion reboots. I even recently tried to fully discharge the battery. Still no dice.

Yesterday I decided to pull the sim card and reboot after having no wifi or bluetooth for nearly 2 weeks. Voila, that fixed it. Since then, I have been able to fix the issue every single time by pulling the sim card and rebooting. I don't want to say that this is the smoking gun but it seems like there is an issue with the sim slot or handing off from wifi to mobile. I've noticed this used to mostly happen when leaving the house but if i was home for a while, it would be fine. Now it seems to happen sporadically but it more frequently occurs when leaving the house.

I'm debating picking up a new sim card from my provider and seeing if that helps but I have a feeling that won't make a difference. Hopefully google can track this down.... its getting pretty old.

yeremy18

Nov 21, 2013
I just started receiving the error "Bluetooth keeps stopping" on my Pixel 3 XL a week ago. It comes and goes seemingly completely at random, sometimes clicking close app will work and other times it will just keep coming back over and over until I restart my phone. It's a huge problem because it takes my wifi and sometimes I think even my mobile data down with it. I've read a bunch of posts and it seems like many people have been having this issue.

I've tried turning off Wi-fi and Bluetooth scanning.

updating Google Play system update.

Clearing cache and storage of Bluetooth.

resetting every bluetooth device I own

Factory Reset

sideloading an OTA image

Flashing a factory image

I'm all out of ideas. The only thing I can come up with is it's a hardware issue, but generally hardware issues I run into are not so sporadic and random. Usually it's either broke, or not broke. It doesn't seem to correlate to how hot the phone gets. I feel like Google broke something with an Android update. I've tried to warranty it through Google but I purchased it new on Ebay and they want the original purchasers name, email and order number. Anyone know of a way around that for Google's warranty?

As a last ditch effort I just flashed the Sep 18th Android 9 factory image, crossing my fingers that for some reason that does something.

My only other idea is google has driver binaries posted for pixel devices. Do these binaries get written over/rolled back when the factory image is flashed? Or are they isolated and not touched when flashing a factory image? Could flashing new driver binaries fix the problem? If so, does anyone have a guide on how to flash the driver binaries, google gives documentation for sideloading the OTA or flashing factory images, but nothing for how to install the driver binaries.
Good friend, I still have the same problem, could you solve it?

yeremy18

Nov 21, 2013

También he notado una correlación entre la descarga de Google Play Music en segundo plano y el problema que ocurre. Lo mismo ocurre con los servicios de primer plano de Verizon AVS ejecutándose en segundo plano y el problema que se produce. Aunque puede que esté paranoico. Las tres cosas: Google Play Music, Verizon AVS Foreground y el problema de Bluetooth son lo suficientemente frecuentes como para que solo sea una coincidencia.

Entonces, no hay respuestas aquí, solo solidaridad de que este es un problema, supongo.
[/CITAR]
Si amigo yo igual detuve Google play músic y ya cada ves son menos los problemas con el Bluetooth y wifi

iwestfall7062

Jan 15, 2020
Unfortunately I never fixed it my friend. I ended up buying a Pixel 4XL off ebay for $600. Now that Google has stated that they won't always be using flagship Snapdragons in upcoming phones I'll be making my move to Samsung after this phone. It seems Samsung is really going to be the only place where you can get a flagship Snapdragon, great camera, and an Otterbox Defender case anymore.

Pedro2NR

Sep 14, 2007
Los Angeles
It appears it is a hardware issue. I came across this video which shoes the hardware repair. Unfortunately, it doesn't give any explanation.

kos25k

Nov 15, 2012
hello everyone.i have this issue on my Tox1 TV box.This happens both with stock and custom rom.Did anyone find the solution for this?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I can't tell you for sure, but i would think the latest firmware should work. There have been a number of Bluetooth fixes since the original firmware, which it appears you're on now. That, and lots of security fixes.

Yeah, I mean I would much prefer being on Android 10 and having the latest updates, I normally update as soon as they come out. But, given that I flashed the Jan 2020 image and bluetooth was still broken, and then flashed the Sep 2018 which seems to have fixed it, I'm hesitant to go back to the Jan 2020 updates. Kind of tending towards the if it isn't broken, don't fix it philosophy right now. If I had time to monkey around with my phone all the time I wouldn't mind, but the semester just started and I use my phone for everything at school so I don't really have time for it to be not working. >.< Such an odd issue and odd fix.
    There is no fix. I made an official Android Issue Tracker thread.

https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/151033055

and a Google Pixel Phone Help thread.

https://support.google.com/pixelphone/thread/32828289?hl=en

Google's being ****ty about it. I eventually just bought a new Pixel 4 XL. I needed a functional phone for school and work, and as much as I hate to spend money on another Google product after this mess, they do make the most powerful pure android phones with the best camera. Ebay FTW, $600, never giving them another penny directly.

If you still have warranty, get it warrantied immediately, and don't take no for an answer. I dawdled around thinking it would get fixed and even though I reported that I was having issues with it directly to Google's phone support BEFORE the warranty expired, by the time I called a second time and pushed a manager to see if they could warranty it, my warranty had expired so they told me to go jump in a lake.
    to make it worse, Google told me the phone still has an extended warranty but I'm not the original owner and have no way to contact that individual. But you need that person's email address for it to work. So it was purchased but because of this technicality it's null and void. I get the security of it but it's still garbage

I have the extended warranty that I paid for when I bought the phones in October 2018 but Google told me to contact Assurant in order to take advantage of it. They wanted me to pay a $129 deductible for what is clearly an internal fault (software or otherwise) and not due to use. I may have to rethink purchasing any more Pixel phones in the future after this experience.