• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Constant freezing and restarting

Search This thread

Bad Bimr

Dec 29, 2010
One week on 12 with Magisk root and all was fine until yesterday. Phone boots for about 1 1/2 minuets, and freezes. The touchscreen does not respond to input and buttons do not work as well. The phone restart in about a minuet or so. but it's goes straight to the Google bypassing a the bootloader in unlocked,press to pause screen. Restarting the phone in safe mode the phone works fine. I assume it's a rouge app but I don;t know which one.
Anyone else have this issue? Anyway to locate what app is crashing the phone. I did a Malwarebytes scan that took forever because of the rebooting and it did find and remove a "threat" however that did not fix things.
I don;'t want to reset this phone again unless it is the only solution.
Thanks in advance.
BB

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
If you already found malware... there may be more.
Reload and be careful what you install and download.

I've gone for over a year with Malwarebytes not finding anything... that should be a red flag for you. Clean your act up.
Mind you I do go to some nasty sites... but I'm very careful what I install and download. I'm running a N10+/Pie variant.

Bad Bimr

Dec 29, 2010
If you already found malware... there may be more.
Reload and be careful what you install and download.

I've gone for over a year with Malwarebytes not finding anything... that should be a red flag for you. Clean your act up.
Mind you I do go to some nasty sites... but I'm very careful what I install and download. I'm running a N10+/Pie variant.
I'm a creature of comfort. I've been running the same setup/apps on my Pixel 2XL on Android 11 for sevral years and on this 4a5G on Android 11 for several months now without issue. I've never had a problem. This just started when I switched to 12. I'm half tempted to go back to 11 at this point.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
I'm a creature of comfort. I've been running the same setup/apps on my Pixel 2XL on Android 11 for sevral years and on this 4a5G on Android 11 for several months now without issue. I've never had a problem. This just started when I switched to 12. I'm half tempted to go back to 11 at this point.

Agreed. Constant firmware upgrades are generally counterproductive especially if the device is fulfilling its mission.
Even Adroid 9 is secure enough to use with no issues.

Lol, you probably should have stopped with Android 10 if possible That's as high as my N10+'s will ever go. Scoped storage was poorly implemented and it seems not needed. Android is suppose to be the alternative to iPhone, not an inferior copycat🤣
Guess Google didn't get the memo...

Bad Bimr

Dec 29, 2010
Agreed. Constant firmware upgrades are generally counterproductive especially if the device is fulfilling its mission.

Lol, you probably should have stopped with Android 10 if possible That's as high as my N10+'s will ever go. Scoped storage was poorly implemented and it seems not needed. Android is suppose to be the alternative to iPhone, not an inferior copycat🤣
I know, I have no idea why I switched to 12. I figured the latest and greatest but that is not true at least not yet for the ones like me who need root. Maybe 12 is great for Google as it is seems to be more locked down that previous version. I guess going forward Goole may become just as locke down as Apple.

Reactions: blackhawk

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
I know, I have no idea why I switched to 12. I figured the latest and greatest but that is not true at least not yet for the ones like me who need root. Maybe 12 is great for Google as it is seems to be more locked down that previous version. I guess going forward Goole may become just as locke down as Apple.

That's my fear as well as the complete mess they're making getting there. My office app is free and not compatible with scoped storage.

One of the reasons I now have 2 N10+'s is zero confidence in Google Android's immediate future or direction. Google gotten too big for its breeches and needs to be cut down to size.

Bad Bimr

Dec 29, 2010
UPDATE:
Wiped the phone and set it up with a fresh install of 12. After some issues I got it to boot on Friday. I rooted and all wall well until last night when the same thing started to happen. with constant reboots after a few minuets After thinking about what could be causing this I remembered that although installed via backup/restore I opened the app Greenify and gave it root privileges yesterday afternoon. I uninstalled the Greenify app and the phone is back to normal, at least for now. I don't know what it is doing but I assume Greenify is hibernating a vital system app that is causing the phone to freeze and reboot.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
UPDATE:
Wiped the phone and set it up with a fresh install of 12. After some issues I got it to boot on Friday. I rooted and all wall well until last night when the same thing started to happen. with constant reboots after a few minuets After thinking about what could be causing this I remembered that although installed via backup/restore I opened the app Greenify and gave it root privileges yesterday afternoon. I uninstalled the Greenify app and the phone is back to normal, at least for now. I don't know what it is doing but I assume Greenify is hibernating a vital system app that is causing the phone to freeze and reboot.

Greenify and 3rd party launcher were the 2 apps that I removed after 2 back to back boot loops over 1.5 years ago.
I suspect it was the launcher but Greenify was also a prime suspect. Ditched both, the last load remains fast and stable to this day.
So there's that...

Bad Bimr

Dec 29, 2010
Greenify and 3rd party launcher were the 2 apps that I removed after 2 back to back boot loops over 1.5 years ago.
I suspect it was the launcher but Greenify was also a prime suspect. Ditched both, the last load remains fast and stable to this day.
So there's that...
I use Nova launcher as my default launcher and have been since it the day it was released. At first I liked Apex (free) over Nova (free) but I bought the pro of Nova and could not be happier. As for Greenify, just checked and it has not been updated since 2019. Regardless the phone is working with no issue, keeping my fingers crossed.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
I use Nova launcher as my default launcher and have been since it the day it was released. At first I liked Apex (free) over Nova (free) but I bought the pro of Nova and could not be happier. As for Greenify, just checked and it has not been updated since 2019. Regardless the phone is working with no issue, keeping my fingers crossed.

Lol, nothing like a boot loop to wake you up🤣
I've used Nova launcher with no issues. It was Hyperion I had loaded... paid version. It was glitchy. I'm running stock; Greenify didn't have as much leeway as it did your load did.
Don't know which caused it, not doing another reload to find out. It was one or both together.

I just stick with the stock One UI now as it's the best overall launcher for my N10+...
so I learned🤣

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

UPDATE:
    So there's that...