• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Constructing 16gb TOT file

Search This thread

Dwaylu

Jan 24, 2011
Hey all,

I recently did the misfortune of flashing a nexus 5 bootloader on my nexus 5x -- right before I was going to send it in after getting my replacement for a cracked screen no less.

I found a thread here talking about how to recover it but it only hosts the applicable TOT file for a 32 gb device.

Is there any knowledge or documentation on creating that TOT file myself? I have a fully functioning 16 gig 5x that was sent to replace the (now) bricked one.

Thanks in advance!

Dwaylu

Jan 24, 2011
Have you tried just flashing the 32 gig TOT to see if you can get the bootloader back? Its worth a try. The phone cant get any deader.

I'd like that as a last resort -- I'm just not versed enough in this kind of restore process to say whether or not that would make things worse.

Has that kind of thing been attempted before?

Eldgrim070

May 15, 2014
Don't flash a 32GB TOT on a 16GB phone. It will ease all software and leave the phone in firmware update mode. My phone is stuck in firmware update and needs a 16GB TOT. Hope somebody post one soon.

Reactions: seemgura

PiousInquisitor

Aug 10, 2014
Don't flash a 32GB TOT on a 16GB phone. It will ease all software and leave the phone in firmware update mode. My phone is stuck in firmware update and needs a 16GB TOT. Hope somebody post one soon.

You flashed the 32GB TOT? While the wrong TOT may screw with the partition sizes, it may fix the bootloader and stock recovery. So, have you tried to enter fastboot mode or recovery since doing it? Let us know what you find.

Also, will you please post a picture of the firmware update screen?

Here is a case of the 32 GB TOT working on a 16 GB 5X. Note you need to flash the full N OTA to fix the borked partitioning. Note the useful info starts on page 4 post 37.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexus-5x/help/device-locked-t3355549/page4

Last edited:

Eldgrim070

May 15, 2014
The USB port on a laptop matters. Using the USB 3 port would make my Nexus 5x reboot half through flashing. Using the USB 2 port, I successful flashed the device. Everything is good now.

sfhub

Oct 23, 2008
Same here... any news?
Just flash the 32GB tot file then flash an Android N beta OTA (probably would work for FULL non-beta OTA as well)

The 32GB tot file includes

PrimaryGPT
modem
boot
recovery
system
BackupGPT

The only things that are specific to the 32GB model ore the PrimaryGPT and BackupGPT, which are the GUID partition tables.

It won't ruin your phone to have the wrong partition tables since it basically only affects the user partition.

Once you install the Android N beta OTA update.zip it will fix up the GPT tables for you.

Please also notice the above is not a typo, the 32GB TOT file is *missing* the vendor partition, so I would advise flashing a full build of something after flashing the TOT file to get things working.

Also if you are just looking at flashing the TOT file because you trashed your EFS partition due to TWRP restore bug, do *NOT* flash the the TOT file. It will just make your life more difficult because it will lock your bootloader and then the real fix of restoring old EFS backup or writting zeros to EFS partition becomes more difficult.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Have you tried just flashing the 32 gig TOT to see if you can get the bootloader back? Its worth a try. The phone cant get any deader.