How To Guide Control Always On Display via Tasker

Search This thread

henderjr

Dec 21, 2007
LaCrosse, WI
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I like using AOD but don't need it on when I'm sleeping. I had the same need with my Pixel 3XL. Same solution works with Tasker on the 6 Pro. I'm just going to turn it off from 11pm to 7am but you could do it for all sorts of situations such as when connected to a certain BT device (in car for example). One time tasker setup will require you to turn on USB debugging and run the command

adb shell pm grant net.dinglisch.android.taskerm android.permission.WRITE_SECURE_SETTINGS

1636057205948.png

1636057219983.png

1636057232134.png

Hope someone finds it useful!

Here it is in Taskernet. Turn AOD Off/On a schedule

Last edited:

henderjr

Dec 21, 2007
LaCrosse, WI
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Thx a bunch! Was looking for this. Will try the same.

One suggestion: Can you maybe also share your tasker project on Taskernet? Than it would be really easy for anyone to import and try it out.
Good idea. I haven't done much with Tasker in a few years so didn't even know about Taskernet. Hopefully this works? Turn AOD Off/On a schedule

snovvman

Jun 6, 2008
Using Tasker to toggle AOD is a great solution. Alternatively, I just turn my phone over so the display faces down. This also causes the AOD to turn off. I do this before going to sleep or during the day when I don't need to keep an eye on the display.

snovvman

Jun 6, 2008
Scheduler based on time is nice.
Now what I would like to do is to have AOD only enabled when there is an unnoticed active notification on my phone. So that I kinda make AOD as my notifiaction LED replacement?

aodNotify has a function for this. However, as I understand it, it simply draws over AOD to make it black. I do not know this for a fact,so someone please chime in. However, if the display is black, I would imagine that there is some battery savings, so long as the app is not chewing up more in return. It does, though, tell you when there is a notification because the screen is lit.

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
aodNotify has a function for this. However, as I understand it, it simply draws over AOD to make it black. I do not know this for a fact,so someone please chime in. However, if the display is black, I would imagine that there is some battery savings, so long as the app is not chewing up more in return. It does, though, tell you when there is a notification because the screen is lit.
I believe your interpretation is correct, or at least close enough.

Utini

Dec 25, 2010
www.whymacsucks.com
www.whymacsucks.com

I am not so sure about the battery saving because this means that both AOD and AODNotify will be active all the time. Actually having just AOD online all the time would consume less battery. So AODNotify gets useless in the end?

henderjr

Dec 21, 2007
LaCrosse, WI
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Scheduler based on time is nice.
Now what I would like to do is to have AOD only enabled when there is an unnoticed active notification on my phone. So that I kinda make AOD as my notifiaction LED replacement?
There's an event of "notification" that you could add. There's also a variable you could check to see if the screen is off. Then set that to AOD On. I just tried that and it worked fine.

I'd have to do some testing to see the best way to turn AOD back off when there aren't any notifications but there's probably a way to look at screen off and no notifications.

PuffDaddy_d

Aug 29, 2010
Houston, TX
Google Pixel 6 Pro
There's an event of "notification" that you could add. There's also a variable you could check to see if the screen is off. Then set that to AOD On. I just tried that and it worked fine.

I'd have to do some testing to see the best way to turn AOD back off when there aren't any notifications but there's probably a way to look at screen off and no notifications.
I've done it already and have been using it in Tasker since the Pixel 3. It's been a crazy week for me, so please be patient and I'll report back later with screen shots and/or a taskernet link for you to download.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I like using AOD but don't need it on when I'm sleeping. I had the same need with my Pixel 3XL. Same solution works with Tasker on the 6 Pro. I'm just going to turn it off from 11pm to 7am but you could do it for all sorts of situations such as when connected to a certain BT device (in car for example). One time tasker setup will require you to turn on USB debugging and run the command

adb shell pm grant net.dinglisch.android.taskerm android.permission.WRITE_SECURE_SETTINGS

1636057205948.png

1636057219983.png

1636057232134.png

Hope someone finds it useful!

Here it is in Taskernet. Turn AOD Off/On a schedule

One suggestion: Can you maybe also share your tasker project on Taskernet? Than it would be really easy for anyone to import and try it out.
    Good idea. I haven't done much with Tasker in a few years so didn't even know about Taskernet. Hopefully this works? Turn AOD Off/On a schedule

you can set the do not disturb times and the AOD goes off
    Using Tasker to toggle AOD is a great solution. Alternatively, I just turn my phone over so the display faces down. This also causes the AOD to turn off. I do this before going to sleep or during the day when I don't need to keep an eye on the display.