Conversion from SM-N986W to SM-N986U/U1: Still possible?

Search This thread

faroreefer

Apr 12, 2008
I'm actually curious what is the purpose of flashing the u1 firmware? What do you gain? Just the ability to get faster updates?
Are we able to get custom roms? I've been a long time Samsung owner but stopped flashing after note4 days... Still missing that phone 😔

I bought SM-N986W (RWC) Canadian version and switched it to unlocked SM-N986U1 (XAA). Not a single hitch in the process and everything works perfect. If you want to use the built in spam protection avoid Verizon firmware as it is grayed out as they want you to use there app.

S2LTE

Nov 15, 2012
Hi, I have a Canadian Samsung Note 20 Ultra (SM-N986W) that is Factory Unlocked and was purchased from a Samsung Store, but it does not have any option for an eSIM?!

In the settings of the phone, there is not even an option as "SIM Card Manager"?!
On the phone's original box label, there is only one IMEI number is printed?!

I contacted Samsung Canada and they told me that this eSIM option is inactivated for Canadians?!

Only one physical SIM card can be fit in my phone, and there is a place for one MicroSD card, so if I want to use a second SIM card, it has to be only as an eSIM, but this option is not activated on the Canadian Note 20 models?!

- I am wondering if I can get an eSIM option for my phone by flashing my phone with SM-N986U1 firmware (used by the US unlocked version sold by Samsung Stores in the US)?

Does anybody know if the unlocked Samsung USA Note 20 version SM-N986U1 has an option for eSIM?

I read somewhere that in the US, only Note 20 from T-Mobile has an eSIM option.

I appreciate receiving any help for activating the eSIM option on my Note 20 Ultra phone.

dj24

Jun 23, 2018
Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra
Hi, I have a Canadian Samsung Note 20 Ultra (SM-N986W) that is Factory Unlocked and was purchased from a Samsung Store, but it does not have any option for an eSIM?!

In the settings of the phone, there is not even an option as "SIM Card Manager"?!
On the phone's original box label, there is only one IMEI number is printed?!

I contacted Samsung Canada and they told me that this eSIM option is inactivated for Canadians?!

Only one physical SIM card can be fit in my phone, and there is a place for one MicroSD card, so if I want to use a second SIM card, it has to be only as an eSIM, but this option is not activated on the Canadian Note 20 models?!

- I am wondering if I can get an eSIM option for my phone by flashing my phone with SM-N986U1 firmware (used by the US unlocked version sold by Samsung Stores in the US)?

Does anybody know if the unlocked Samsung USA Note 20 version SM-N986U1 has an option for eSIM?

I read somewhere that in the US, only Note 20 from T-Mobile has an eSIM option.

I appreciate receiving any help for activating the eSIM option on my Note 20 Ultra phone.
My understanding is that the Unlocked U.S model still hasn't received the eSim update officially. I think some users have been able to flash it to the t-mobile U version and gotten it to work that way.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

S2LTE

Nov 15, 2012
My understanding is that the Unlocked U.S model still hasn't received the eSim update officially. I think some users have been able to flash it to the t-mobile U version and gotten it to work that way.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Thanks for the info. I am going to wait for more updates and good news about activating the eSIM option on the Canadian Factory Unlocked Samsung Note 20 (SM-N986W).

Lifoo

Sep 29, 2011
Vung Tau
I have just flash N986w rom to my N986u1. All works and easy to do it. If anyone wants to flash from N986U/U1 to N986W or back can mess me. Easy to do it

adriancp

Jan 19, 2023
Hey guys im a nooby wondering to know how could you flash firmware on SM-N986W models, i have mine without OEM unlock option avaliable in developer option