Convert AT&T HTC One M8 to Developer Edition?

Search This thread

NextNexus

Jan 19, 2007
Does anyone know if it's possible to convert the HTC One M8 to a developer edition version? I've tried searching online and see that it was a possibility on last year's M7 but can't find anything specifically about the M8. Thanks.

Reactions: fireashes

garyd9

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
I guess you want some details, huh? ;)

You'll need to get a Developer Edition stock recovery and a Developer Edition nandroid backup. (I'm lazy, so will just use "DevEd" instead of Developer edition.)

To get BOTH of these things, hop on over to a thread in the non-carrier specific M8 section: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2701376

Find and download the nandroid (TWRP) for CID BS_US002. Specifically, you should get the 1.12.1540.17 version. (There's a good reason for getting the older version...) You should also get a current TWRP image. (.img, not a zip file.) If you don't know how to get this image, then I'd advise NOT converting your device.

Then you can follow these steps:

Boot your phone normally.

Unpack the TWRP nandroid and place the folder into the proper directory on your phone's sdcard (/sdcard/TWRP/Backups/SERIAL_NUMBER/ or /sdcard2/TWRP/Backups/SERIAL_NUMBER) Replace "SERIAL_NUMBER" with your device's serial number. You should end up with a folder structure similar to: "./TWRP/Backups/HTXXXXXXXX/BackupName/" with the actual backup files in that directory.

... at this point, you might want to go ahead and boot into TWRP recovery to make sure that the backup you put in there is visible. It's fairly common for people to put the nandroid in the wrong place. I even did that myself once....

reboot into fastboot mode.

change CID to BS_US002 (BS_US001 is the "unlocked" version, BS_US002 is the DevEd version): fastboot oem writecid BS_US002

If you're starting with an AT&T branded device, there's no need to change the model ID (MID) as it's identical to the DevEd device.

reboot back into fastboot (to make sure the CID change worked): fastboot reboot-bootloader

use fastboot to put the proper DevEd STOCK recovery in place: fastboot flash stock_recovery.img

Probably not needed, but while in fastboot go ahead and run this: fastboot erase cache

Use fastboot to boot into (but not flash) the appropriate custom recovery. Example: fastboot boot openrecovery-twrp-2.7.0.2-m8.img

Use the custom recovery to wipe the data/cache/dalvik cache partitions.

Use the custom recovery to do a full restore from the backup copied to the phone above.

Reboot to the normal system. You can now accept OTA's and they should work. (They did for me.)

.... The reason for installing the older firmware version was to "test" the system by allowing the OTA to happen. If the OTA fails, then you screwed up the above steps.

Thanks. Can you provide more detail on how to accomplish this or refer me to a thread that has that info?
I was typing. ;)

Wonders_Never_Cease

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jul 10, 2013
Either will work, does not matter if its BS_XXXX1 or BS_XXXX2 as long as its the Brightstar cid, has no bearing on software whatsoever or the functionality of the software or phone...the ota comes with both so either will work regardless.....lol

You'll need to get a Developer Edition stock recovery and a Developer Edition nandroid backup. (I'm lazy, so will just use "DevEd" instead of Developer edition.)

To get BOTH of these things, hop on over to a thread in the non-carrier specific M8 section: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2701376

Find and download the nandroid (TWRP) for CID BS_US002. Specifically, you should get the 1.12.1540.17 version. (There's a good reason for getting the older version...) You should also get a current TWRP image. (.img, not a zip file.) If you don't know how to get this image, then I'd advise NOT converting your device.

Unpack the TWRP nandroid and place the folder into the proper directory on your phone's sdcard (/sdcard/TWRP/Backups/SERIAL_NUMBER/ or /sdcard2/TWRP/Backups/SERIAL_NUMBER) Replace "SERIAL_NUMBER" with your device's serial number. You should end up with a folder structure similar to: "./TWRP/Backups/HTXXXXXXXX/BackupName/" with the actual backup files in that directory.

... at this point, you might want to go ahead and boot into TWRP recovery to make sure that the backup you put in there is visible. It's fairly common for people to put the nandroid in the wrong place. I even did that myself once....

change CID to BS_US002 (BS_US001 is the "unlocked" version, BS_US002 is the DevEd version): fastboot oem writecid BS_US002

If you're starting with an AT&T branded device, there's no need to change the model ID (MID) as it's identical to the DevEd device.

reboot back into fastboot (to make sure the CID change worked): fastboot reboot-bootloader

use fastboot to put the proper DevEd STOCK recovery in place: fastboot flash stock_recovery.img

Probably not needed, but while in fastboot go ahead and run this: fastboot erase cache

Use fastboot to boot into (but not flash) the appropriate custom recovery. Example: fastboot boot openrecovery-twrp-2.7.0.2-m8.img

Use the custom recovery to do a full restore from the backup copied to the phone above.

Reboot to the normal system. You can now accept OTA's and they should work. (They did for me.)

.... The reason for installing the older firmware version was to "test" the system by allowing the OTA to happen. If the OTA fails, then you screwed up the above steps.

I was typing. ;)

DG4FREE

Jun 27, 2010
Tempe

Worked for me as well. Downloading the OTA as I type this. Thank you for the detailed instructions. Attempted to do this before when coming from the GPE ROM and had several issues. This time was much more streamlined thanks to your input.

Alaris

May 25, 2012
Worked for me as well. Downloading the OTA as I type this. Thank you for the detailed instructions. Attempted to do this before when coming from the GPE ROM and had several issues. This time was much more streamlined thanks to your input.

Do I need to do anything different if I have twrp installed with stock Rom?

DG4FREE

Jun 27, 2010
Tempe

Stock rooted ROM or stock non rooted or stock Android (GPE or other ROM)?

Essentially follow the directions above, especially making sure you boot into TWRP recovery prior to flashing to the developer recovery since you already have it installed and go through the option to restore the developer edition nandroid backup. If it gives you the option to restore now, you should be fine to continue with the steps above. In short:

Reboot to bootloader.

Change your CID to BS_US002

Flash the developer recovery from the link above.

**Boot** into TWRP recovery (with the developer recovery still being the "installed recovery" using:

Code:
fastboot boot /location of recovery/recovery.img

TWRP should now open as if it was installed and allow you to restore from the developer edition nandroid even though you technically still have the developer edition recovery installed.

Once it restores you can reboot the phone and you should be good to go. Upon connecting to WiFi I was prompted to update to the latest OTA and everything has been working all day.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Alaris

May 25, 2012
Thanks debating on stay with att stock or this for faster updates.

DG4FREE

Jun 27, 2010
Tempe
Thanks debating on stay with att stock or this for faster updates.

Its been great for me so far. I was on GPE and the little hardware issues (M8 is just better with Sense) made me come back. I've rocked the Maximus HD 4.0 ROM over in the open M8 forum and it has full AT&T support but thought I'd try this out. Sometimes I think the custom Roms put to much extras packed in although Maximus is decently light.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Roefastford

Oct 18, 2011
Dumb question ?

What would be the main benefits to changing to lets say from the at&t m8 to a dev edition, other than faster updates ?

Alaris

May 25, 2012
Its been great for me so far. I was on GPE and the little hardware issues (M8 is just better with Sense) made me come back. I've rocked the Maximus HD 4.0 ROM over in the open M8 forum and it has full AT&T support but thought I'd try this out. Sometimes I think the custom Roms put to much extras packed in although Maximus is decently light.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone had a couple of speed bumps but I got through it. Just out of curiousity would there be any difference between the Dev Ruu and doing this?

DG4FREE

Jun 27, 2010
Tempe
Thanks everyone had a couple of speed bumps but I got through it. Just out of curiousity would there be any difference between the Dev Ruu and doing this?

Wasn't aware of a Dev RUU being posted (at least an official one) but from what I understand it'd be the same thing.

---------- Post added at 08:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:34 PM ----------

Dumb question ?

What would be the main benefits to changing to lets say from the at&t m8 to a dev edition, other than faster updates ?

No AT&T branding/bloat. I know there's Roms out there that are debloated but you'd still be required to manually flash updates and or use the built in OTA of that ROM if it has such a feature. This in a way gives you the best of both.

Alaris

May 25, 2012
Anyone notice the red writing during setup that said something along the lines of this being a test device and HTC will collect info like location etc.? Is this something that I should be worried about?

garyd9

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Assuming you're comparing "stock" to "stock": No carrierIQ, faster updates, no AT&T bloatware. (However, you lose Isis and the visual voice mail integration.)

Anyone notice the red writing during setup that said something along the lines of this being a test device and HTC will collect info like location etc.? Is this something that I should be worried about?
I never noticed that. My understanding is that the warning comes up if you're using a recovery or kernel that doesn't match the rest of the firmware. If you follow the instructions I posted, you should end up with a completely stock recovery + kernel, so won't see that red warning.

Oh, and if you DO see the warning, it's completely harmless.

Take care
Gary

Alaris

May 25, 2012
Assuming you're comparing "stock" to "stock": No carrierIQ, faster updates, no AT&T bloatware. (However, you lose Isis and the visual voice mail integration.)

I never noticed that. My understanding is that the warning comes up if you're using a recovery or kernel that doesn't match the rest of the firmware. If you follow the instructions I posted, you should end up with a completely stock recovery + kernel, so won't see that red warning.

Oh, and if you DO see the warning, it's completely harmless.

Take care
Gary

Do you have s-off?

Alaris

May 25, 2012
Yes.

Sent from my HTC One_M8

Do my a favor go to settings>about and there should be one that says tell HTC click it and scroll to the bottom. Do you see any red writing that says HTC will collect data? Because i did exactly what you did and I have that writing that says the will collect data and i cant opt out of it. It doesn't sound like me and you have anything that we did differently unless you didn't notice yours during the initial setup.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Thanks. Can you provide more detail on how to accomplish this or refer me to a thread that has that info?
    I was typing. ;)
    Does anyone know if it's possible to convert the HTC One M8 to a developer edition version? I've tried searching online and see that it was a possibility on last year's M7 but can't find anything specifically about the M8. Thanks.
    Yes, it's possible.
    Either will work, does not matter if its BS_XXXX1 or BS_XXXX2 as long as its the Brightstar cid, has no bearing on software whatsoever or the functionality of the software or phone...the ota comes with both so either will work regardless.....lol

I was typing. ;)

Stock rooted ROM or stock non rooted or stock Android (GPE or other ROM)?

Essentially follow the directions above, especially making sure you boot into TWRP recovery prior to flashing to the developer recovery since you already have it installed and go through the option to restore the developer edition nandroid backup. If it gives you the option to restore now, you should be fine to continue with the steps above. In short:

Reboot to bootloader.

Change your CID to BS_US002

Flash the developer recovery from the link above.

**Boot** into TWRP recovery (with the developer recovery still being the "installed recovery" using:

Code:
    fastboot boot /location of recovery/recovery.img

TWRP should now open as if it was installed and allow you to restore from the developer edition nandroid even though you technically still have the developer edition recovery installed.

Once it restores you can reboot the phone and you should be good to go. Upon connecting to WiFi I was prompted to update to the latest OTA and everything has been working all day.

But I don't know if sunshine works on the Lollipop OTA or not. You might check in the thread in General to see if there is any confirmation.

Worked just fine for me today.