Convert AT&T HTC One M8 to Developer Edition?

Search This thread

mirrored

Dec 8, 2010
I've heard there are issues with converting to GPE on AT&T M8 due to firmware incompatibility (e.g., spotty reception, loss of LTE, MMS issues).

Can anyone whose converted confirm/expound on this?

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
I've heard there are issues with converting to GPE on AT&T M8 due to firmware incompatibility (e.g., spotty reception, loss of LTE, MMS issues).

Can anyone whose converted confirm/expound on this?

Do you understand that Developer's Edition (what this thread is about) and GPE are completely different versions?

Developer's Edition: Sense, and intended to be used on AT&T's network (although a few folks have had some LTE issues).

GPE: No Sense, and from what I can tell is intended to be used on T-Mobile; since it has the same LTE bands as the T-Mob variant (Bands 4 and 17); and is missing two of the LTE bands (Bands 2 and 5) needed to work on AT&T, based on these specs.

Last edited:
Reactions: mirrored

redpoint73

Oct 24, 2007
Thanks for clearing that up. I didn't realize the difference.

Is it possible to do all the instructions (root, s-off, bootloader unlock, etc.) on the latest AT&T OTA?

Bootloader unlock, custom recovery, root should be fine.

But I don't know if sunshine works on the Lollipop OTA or not. You might check in the thread in General to see if there is any confirmation. Sunshine exploit has been patched in the past by HTC, then Iassume the sunshine devs found a new exploit (as sunshine was updated to work on M8 running 4.4.4 and 5.0). So its always possible HTC will plug it again. In fact its probable and just a matter of time, since HTC has patched every other previous s-off method to date.

If in doubt, and you think you will want s-off, I'd suggest to do it before OTA, just to be safe.

jumpjet2k

Oct 29, 2011
Houston
I had installed the current GPE ROM, realized it doesn't work well on AT&T, and now I'm trying this method to install DE. However I've had no success restoring any of the backups. Tried two on TWRP (figuring the first one was a bad download) and now the one on Philz Touch. Finally I've uncovered that the issue appears to be with the system partition size - it's set at somewhere around 1100MB and won't accommodate the ~2000MB system partitions in the restores. I'm not sure how that partition size got changed and, well, what to do now. Any suggestions?

redpoint73

Oct 24, 2007
I had installed the current GPE ROM, realized it doesn't work well on AT&T, and now I'm trying this method to install DE. However I've had no success restoring any of the backups. Tried two on TWRP (figuring the first one was a bad download) and now the one on Philz Touch. Finally I've uncovered that the issue appears to be with the system partition size - it's set at somewhere around 1100MB and won't accommodate the ~2000MB system partitions in the restores. I'm not sure how that partition size got changed and, well, what to do now. Any suggestions?

Sounds like you did a "full conversion" to GPE, it changed the partitioning. In that case run the DE RUU (you will need to change to appropriate CID and MID, before RUU) and it should re-partition back to the Sense partition scheme. Or you may need to rum the DE firmware, the the RUU, as some folks have had to do.

Reactions: jumpjet2k

jumpjet2k

Oct 29, 2011
Houston
Sounds like you did a "full conversion" to GPE, it changed the partitioning. In that case run the DE RUU (you will need to change to appropriate CID and MID, before RUU) and it should re-partition back to the Sense partition scheme. Or you may need to rum the DE firmware, the the RUU, as some folks have had to do.

You're right, I did the "full convert". I'll give the DE RUU a try. Thanks for the help.

thebravery

Feb 3, 2015
Error applying OTA update 1.54.1540.9

I followed the instructions in this thread but ran into this problem installing the OTA update. My device is S-OFF and unlocked.

E:missing bitmap oem_unlock_bg
(Code -1)
E:missing bitmap oem_unlock_bg_yes
(Code -1)
E:missing bitmap_oem_unlock_bg_no
(Code -1)
Installing update...
file_getprop: failed to stat "/system/build.prop": No such file or directory
E:Error in /data/media/0/Download/OTA_M8_UL_K44_SENSE60_SECRITY_BrightstarUS_WWE_1.54.1540.9-1.12.1540.17_release_36886h...
(Status 7)
Installation Aborted

Are the instructions on the first page deprecated? How do I go about troubleshooting this?

Side question: Assuming I fix this issue, will I be able to over-the-air upgrade all the way to Lollipop?

redpoint73

Oct 24, 2007
I followed the instructions in this thread but ran into this problem installing the OTA update. My device is S-OFF and unlocked.

E:missing bitmap oem_unlock_bg
(Code -1)
E:missing bitmap oem_unlock_bg_yes
(Code -1)
E:missing bitmap_oem_unlock_bg_no
(Code -1)
Installing update...
file_getprop: failed to stat "/system/build.prop": No such file or directory
E:Error in /data/media/0/Download/OTA_M8_UL_K44_SENSE60_SECRITY_BrightstarUS_WWE_1.54.1540.9-1.12.1540.17_release_36886h...
(Status 7)
Installation Aborted

Are the instructions on the first page deprecated? How do I go about troubleshooting this?

Side question: Assuming I fix this issue, will I be able to over-the-air upgrade all the way to Lollipop?

I'd say yes, the instructions on the first page are deprecated. One big thing that seems to be missing, is that if you are on the wrong firmware, and you restore a 1.12 nandroid, I don't think the rest will work.

You also haven't gone into detail on what you have complete, what you haven't. If you are on the Dev Edition CID and s-off, you can just run the DE Lollipop RUU. RUU will wipe the phone, is only downside of this method; but many less steps and much less potential for mistakes or hangups.

thebravery

Feb 3, 2015
I'd say yes, the instructions on the first page are deprecated. One big thing that seems to be missing, is that if you are on the wrong firmware, and you restore a 1.12 nandroid, I don't think the rest will work.

You also haven't gone into detail on what you have complete, what you haven't. If you are on the Dev Edition CID and s-off, you can just run the DE Lollipop RUU. RUU will wipe the phone, is only downside of this method; but many less steps and much less potential for mistakes or hangups.

Thanks for responding. I was able to work around the problem by running the DE Lollopop RUU. Thanks.

mirrored

Dec 8, 2010

are there any other steps or information in the instructions that should be made aware, especially if coming from stock Lollipop from the AT&T OTA?

redpoint73

Oct 24, 2007
are there any other steps or information in the instructions that should be made aware, especially if coming from stock Lollipop from the AT&T OTA?

I'd skip those instructions altogether and:

1) S-off by sunshine
2) Change to Dev Ed CID or SuperCID
3) Run latest Dev Ed RUU
4) Drink beer

I'm guessing the instructions were written before a Dev Ed RUU was available. RUU is a lot less steps (instead of step 3 above, you would need to find and flash firmware, find right stock ROM, right stock recovery, OTA to latest versions) and potential for mistakes or other hangups. The only "downside" to using the RUU is that it wipes your data. But if you are doing such sweeping changes (converting to Dev Ed) you should be backing up your data before hand, regardless. So it only means the extra steps of restoring your backed up data and setting up the phone again.

redpoint73

Oct 24, 2007
Is the correct RUU included in your post here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2751432 ?

or maybe one of the ones here: http://androidruu.com/?developer=M8 ?

Is that a trick questions? Why would I not recommend my own thread? ;)

The second link (AndroidRUU.com) doesn't even contain any Dev Ed RUUs. You are looking for one with "Brightstar" in the file name. 4.16.1540 being the latest (Lollipop).

Plus, I usually recommend getting files here on XDA versus websites I've never heard about, with file hosting god know where (unless you know for fact that the source is reliable and safe).

In particular, the thread in my Index thread links to a direct from HTC download of 4.16.1540. About as safe as can be, for those concerned with security.

mirrored

Dec 8, 2010
Is that a trick questions? Why would I not recommend my own thread? ;)

just wanted to be sure, haha.

I'm in the middle of using the RUU.exe from the linked thread in your index thread. Previously, I unlocked the bootloader, flashed TWRP & rooted, and s-off'd using Sunshine. Then I went into fastboot and started up the RUU.

It's been in the Updating/Sending part for more than 10 minutes now, and it's still on 0/7 and there's no green progress bar on my screen like there is in some other people's YouTube vids doing an RUU.

Any advice? Should I try and unplug and replug or something else?

EDIT: Got everything working I believe. To anyone who runs into this: I had to unplug and try two more times for the RUU to complete everything.

Is there any way to confirm that you're using the Dev Edition?

Last edited:

redpoint73

Oct 24, 2007
It's been in the Updating/Sending part for more than 10 minutes now, and it's still on 0/7 and there's no green progress bar on my screen like there is in some other people's YouTube vids doing an RUU.

Any advice? Should I try and unplug and replug or something else?

EDIT: Got everything working I believe. To anyone who runs into this: I had to unplug and try two more times for the RUU to complete everything.

Yeah, that issue is fairly common (RUU getting stuck). There was a thread recently about this, in fact: http://xdaforums.com/att-htc-one-m8/help/ruu-stuck-0-7-sending-t3063611

It is a bit heart-stopping, as the RUU warns you not to shut down or disconnect the device, but you really have no choice. Hey, it is Windows we're talking about. ;)

Is there any way to confirm that you're using the Dev Edition?

No AT&T boot screen, bloatware, ringtones, signal icons, etc.

Radio baseband should be 1.2421331147A1.09...etc.

Aside from those things, it doesn't say "Developer's Edition" anywhere or anything like that. Its just an "unbranded" Sense ROM.

mirrored

Dec 8, 2010
Hey, it is Windows we're talking about. ;)

Thanks for all your help. Couldn't have done it without you.

One last question: I saw someone ask in the thread earlier if rooting while keeping stock recovery will interfere with OTA's. I couldn't find a direct answer but saw others mention that anything modified will prevent OTA's. Does this include rooting + stock recovery?

redpoint73

Oct 24, 2007
One last question: I saw someone ask in the thread earlier if rooting while keeping stock recovery will interfere with OTA's. I couldn't find a direct answer but saw others mention that anything modified will prevent OTA's. Does this include rooting + stock recovery?

Heh, I probably answer this questions a couple times a day!

Root itself is okay. But the ROM needs to be stock otherwise. Meaning if you modify anything in the /system partition using root permissions (removing bloat, adding system apps, etc.) they need to be returned to the "stock" condition otherwise the OTA will fail to to "modified software". So make a TWRP backup of the stock ROM before you do any messing around.

So required for OTA: stock ROM and stock recovery
What is okay: root and unlocked bootloader

You will also need to install TWRP and root again after an OTA, since the OTA will most likely unroot the phone.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I guess you want some details, huh? ;)

You'll need to get a Developer Edition stock recovery and a Developer Edition nandroid backup. (I'm lazy, so will just use "DevEd" instead of Developer edition.)

To get BOTH of these things, hop on over to a thread in the non-carrier specific M8 section: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2701376

Find and download the nandroid (TWRP) for CID BS_US002. Specifically, you should get the 1.12.1540.17 version. (There's a good reason for getting the older version...) You should also get a current TWRP image. (.img, not a zip file.) If you don't know how to get this image, then I'd advise NOT converting your device.

Then you can follow these steps:

Boot your phone normally.

Unpack the TWRP nandroid and place the folder into the proper directory on your phone's sdcard (/sdcard/TWRP/Backups/SERIAL_NUMBER/ or /sdcard2/TWRP/Backups/SERIAL_NUMBER) Replace "SERIAL_NUMBER" with your device's serial number. You should end up with a folder structure similar to: "./TWRP/Backups/HTXXXXXXXX/BackupName/" with the actual backup files in that directory.

... at this point, you might want to go ahead and boot into TWRP recovery to make sure that the backup you put in there is visible. It's fairly common for people to put the nandroid in the wrong place. I even did that myself once....

reboot into fastboot mode.

change CID to BS_US002 (BS_US001 is the "unlocked" version, BS_US002 is the DevEd version): fastboot oem writecid BS_US002

If you're starting with an AT&T branded device, there's no need to change the model ID (MID) as it's identical to the DevEd device.

reboot back into fastboot (to make sure the CID change worked): fastboot reboot-bootloader

use fastboot to put the proper DevEd STOCK recovery in place: fastboot flash stock_recovery.img

Probably not needed, but while in fastboot go ahead and run this: fastboot erase cache

Use fastboot to boot into (but not flash) the appropriate custom recovery. Example: fastboot boot openrecovery-twrp-2.7.0.2-m8.img

Use the custom recovery to wipe the data/cache/dalvik cache partitions.

Use the custom recovery to do a full restore from the backup copied to the phone above.

Reboot to the normal system. You can now accept OTA's and they should work. (They did for me.)

.... The reason for installing the older firmware version was to "test" the system by allowing the OTA to happen. If the OTA fails, then you screwed up the above steps.

Thanks. Can you provide more detail on how to accomplish this or refer me to a thread that has that info?
    I was typing. ;)
    Does anyone know if it's possible to convert the HTC One M8 to a developer edition version? I've tried searching online and see that it was a possibility on last year's M7 but can't find anything specifically about the M8. Thanks.
    Yes, it's possible.
    Either will work, does not matter if its BS_XXXX1 or BS_XXXX2 as long as its the Brightstar cid, has no bearing on software whatsoever or the functionality of the software or phone...the ota comes with both so either will work regardless.....lol

I guess you want some details, huh? ;)

You'll need to get a Developer Edition stock recovery and a Developer Edition nandroid backup. (I'm lazy, so will just use "DevEd" instead of Developer edition.)

To get BOTH of these things, hop on over to a thread in the non-carrier specific M8 section: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2701376

Find and download the nandroid (TWRP) for CID BS_US002. Specifically, you should get the 1.12.1540.17 version. (There's a good reason for getting the older version...) You should also get a current TWRP image. (.img, not a zip file.) If you don't know how to get this image, then I'd advise NOT converting your device.

Then you can follow these steps:

Boot your phone normally.

Unpack the TWRP nandroid and place the folder into the proper directory on your phone's sdcard (/sdcard/TWRP/Backups/SERIAL_NUMBER/ or /sdcard2/TWRP/Backups/SERIAL_NUMBER) Replace "SERIAL_NUMBER" with your device's serial number. You should end up with a folder structure similar to: "./TWRP/Backups/HTXXXXXXXX/BackupName/" with the actual backup files in that directory.

... at this point, you might want to go ahead and boot into TWRP recovery to make sure that the backup you put in there is visible. It's fairly common for people to put the nandroid in the wrong place. I even did that myself once....

reboot into fastboot mode.

change CID to BS_US002 (BS_US001 is the "unlocked" version, BS_US002 is the DevEd version): fastboot oem writecid BS_US002

If you're starting with an AT&T branded device, there's no need to change the model ID (MID) as it's identical to the DevEd device.

reboot back into fastboot (to make sure the CID change worked): fastboot reboot-bootloader

use fastboot to put the proper DevEd STOCK recovery in place: fastboot flash stock_recovery.img

Probably not needed, but while in fastboot go ahead and run this: fastboot erase cache

Use fastboot to boot into (but not flash) the appropriate custom recovery. Example: fastboot boot openrecovery-twrp-2.7.0.2-m8.img

Use the custom recovery to wipe the data/cache/dalvik cache partitions.

Use the custom recovery to do a full restore from the backup copied to the phone above.

Reboot to the normal system. You can now accept OTA's and they should work. (They did for me.)

.... The reason for installing the older firmware version was to "test" the system by allowing the OTA to happen. If the OTA fails, then you screwed up the above steps.

I was typing. ;)
    Do I need to do anything different if I have twrp installed with stock Rom?

Stock rooted ROM or stock non rooted or stock Android (GPE or other ROM)?

Essentially follow the directions above, especially making sure you boot into TWRP recovery prior to flashing to the developer recovery since you already have it installed and go through the option to restore the developer edition nandroid backup. If it gives you the option to restore now, you should be fine to continue with the steps above. In short:

Reboot to bootloader.

Change your CID to BS_US002

Flash the developer recovery from the link above.

**Boot** into TWRP recovery (with the developer recovery still being the "installed recovery" using:

Code:
    fastboot boot /location of recovery/recovery.img

TWRP should now open as if it was installed and allow you to restore from the developer edition nandroid even though you technically still have the developer edition recovery installed.

Once it restores you can reboot the phone and you should be good to go. Upon connecting to WiFi I was prompted to update to the latest OTA and everything has been working all day.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    But I don't know if sunshine works on the Lollipop OTA or not. You might check in the thread in General to see if there is any confirmation.

Worked just fine for me today.