Convert External SD to Internal SD Android (Specially For Low Budget Devices)

Search This thread

danish1994

May 1, 2013
Delhi
After installing a couple of games and apps, Android tells you that you are out of storage space. So you head on to ebay and buy the largest sd card your credit card can buy. You slap in your brand new sd card and head on to install more apps, only to find out you still have no storage space left despite moving apps to sd card.​

What is The Problem?
Android tablets in general, has a different directory structure compared to Android phones. Mine has 504MB for apps (in system), 2.08Gb Internal storage (sdcard), and mounts external sd cards as (extsd). By default, external sd cards (extsd) are only used for media storage. Unfortunately, apps only recognizes sdcard, so your media files will still need to be transferred to internal storage for it to be played. What's the point?

This Is A HACK
This hack will swap the position of the internal sd card to the external one you bought earlier.

First You Need To Root Your Device.
Read My Post To Root Your Device In Minutes http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=41020487#post41020487

What Will You Need

• A Rooted Device
  • Root Explorer (Attached Below)

Instruction

• Install Root Explorer.
  • Grant SuperUser Access to Root Explorer (When Asked).
  • Locate '/etc' in Root Explorer.
  • Click On 'Mount R/W'.
  • Hold 'vold.fstab' And Select Edit in Text Editor.

And Convert

dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard auto /devices/virtual/block/nand1
dev_mount extsd /mnt/extsd auto /devices/platform/sunxi-mmc.1/mm_host /devices/platform/sw_hcd_host0/devices/platform/sw-ohci.1 /devices/plaform/sw-ohci.2
TO
dev_mount extsd /mnt/sdcard auto /devices/virtual/block/nand1
dev_mount sdcard /mnt/extsd auto /devices/platform/sunxi-mmc.1/mm_host /devices/platform/sw_hcd_host0/devices/platform/sw-ohci.1 /devices/plaform/sw-ohci.2​

Save it. (Don't Worry The Original File will be there named 'vold.fstab.bak')

Restart Your Device

Check Weather You Can Move Aps to External Storage.

If Not..??

Then Again Open 'vold.fstab' in Text Editor

And Convert

dev_mount extsd /mnt/extsd auto /devices/platform/sunxi-mmc.1/mm_host /devices/platform/sw_hcd_host0 /devices/platform/sw-ohci.1/devices/plaform/sw-ohci.2
TO
dev_mount extsd /mnt/extsd auto /devices/platform/sunxi-mmc.1/mm_host /devices/platform/sw_hcd_host0 /devices/platform/sw-ohci.1/devices/plaform/sw-ohci.2

And Restart Your Device

Tested Devices

• BSNL Penta
  • T-Pad IS709C
  • T-Pad IS701C
  • T-Pad IS703C
  • T-Pad IS801C
  • T-Pad WS802C-2G
  • T-Pad WS802C-3G
  • T-Pad WS703C-2G
  • T-Pad WS704C-3G
  • T-Pad WS707C-EDGE
  • T-Pad WS708C-2G

• Micromax
  • Micromax Funbook Talk P362
  • Micromax Funbook 3G P560
  • Micromax Funbook Talk P360
  • Micromax Funbook 3G P600
  • Micromax Funbook P300

• UbiSlate
  • UbiSlate 7R Plus
  • UbiSlate 7C Plus Edge

Still Facing Problem..??
Contact Me On Facebook At https://www.facebook.com/DaNish.AnSari.1994

PLEASE QUOTE FOR FURTHER INFO.

Last edited:

delhi71

Sep 21, 2013
Need Help

Hi , please find the attached screen shot of Vold file from root explorer as you asked. Kindly advise me if i need to delet all this and type what yoy have mentioned or what do i need to change .

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-09-21-17-39-57.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-09-21-17-39-57.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 3,426

mmixdupp2

Nov 6, 2013
Novice at Rooting

Thanks for the hack. I am trying to root my Visual Land Connect 4. I got everything to work except I can't find /etc on my root checker. Where should I be if not in here?

Reactions: Akif Arfien

ando dev

Dec 8, 2013
Haldwani
After installing a couple of games and apps, Android tells you that you are out of storage space. So you head on to ebay and buy the largest sd card your credit card can buy. You slap in your brand new sd card and head on to install more apps, only to find out you still have no storage space left despite moving apps to sd card.​

What is The Problem?
Android tablets in general, has a different directory structure compared to Android phones. Mine has 504MB for apps (in system), 2.08Gb Internal storage (sdcard), and mounts external sd cards as (extsd). By default, external sd cards (extsd) are only used for media storage. Unfortunately, apps only recognizes sdcard, so your media files will still need to be transferred to internal storage for it to be played. What's the point?

This Is A HACK
This hack will swap the position of the internal sd card to the external one you bought earlier.

Read My Post To Root Your Device In Minutes http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=41020487#post41020487

What Will You Need

• A Rooted Device

Instruction

• Install Root Explorer.
  • Click On 'Mount R/W'.

And Convert

dev_mount extsd /mnt/extsd auto /devices/platform/sunxi-mmc.1/mm_host /devices/platform/sw_hcd_host0/devices/platform/sw-ohci.1 /devices/plaform/sw-ohci.2
TO
dev_mount sdcard /mnt/extsd auto /devices/platform/sunxi-mmc.1/mm_host /devices/platform/sw_hcd_host0/devices/platform/sw-ohci.1 /devices/plaform/sw-ohci.2​

Restart Your Device

If Not..??

And Convert

TO

And Restart Your Device

Tested Devices

• BSNL Penta
  • T-Pad IS709C
  • T-Pad IS701C
  • T-Pad IS703C
  • T-Pad IS801C
  • T-Pad WS802C-2G
  • T-Pad WS802C-3G
  • T-Pad WS703C-2G
  • T-Pad WS704C-3G
  • T-Pad WS707C-EDGE
  • T-Pad WS708C-2G

• Micromax
  • Micromax Funbook P300

• UbiSlate
  • UbiSlate 7R Plus
  • UbiSlate 7C Plus Edge

Still Facing Problem..??
Contact Me On Facebook At /DaNish.AnSari.1994

First of all your work is highly appreciated.
Secondly u mentioned that this process is tested on funbook talk p362. I have it too.
But the adb drivers are nowhere to be found.
You will say turn on USB-DEBUGGING and it will install drivers automatically. but no none of that works...tried with internet connection on. but driver update says no driver found for this device.
I ll be highly thankful to you if you helped me rooting my funbook talk. or provide me the necessary drivers.
and for your information i downloaded a ADB Drivers.rar file....and it installed drivers too....but android sdk does not recognises the adb device.

Last edited:

danish1994

May 1, 2013
Delhi
Secondly u mentioned that this process is tested on funbook talk p362. I have it too.
You will say turn on USB-DEBUGGING and it will install drivers automatically. but no none of that works...tried with internet connection on. but driver update says no driver found for this device.
I ll be highly thankful to you if you helped me rooting my funbook talk. or provide me the necessary drivers.
and for your information i downloaded a ADB Drivers.rar file....and it installed drivers too....but android sdk does not recognises the adb device.

if it don't download adb driver itself then you need to download it manually form micromax website..
it that to didn't work, then will upload an app soon which might help you to root your device..

karan luniyal

Dec 15, 2013
faridabad

Simple.. just go to this thread it will automatically install drivers and root INA minute this method is tested by me,I am also having the same tab..
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2403230
If u don't have cwm to replace Chinese superuser download supersu from play store and it will do it without cwm..
Hit thanks if I helped.... :good:

---------- Post added at 06:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:52 AM ----------

What is The Problem?

This Is A HACK

What Will You Need

• A Rooted Device

Instruction

• Install Root Explorer.
  • Click On 'Mount R/W'.

And Convert

TO

Restart Your Device

If Not..??

And Convert

TO

And Restart Your Device

Tested Devices

• BSNL Penta
  • T-Pad IS709C
  • T-Pad IS701C
  • T-Pad IS703C
  • T-Pad IS801C
  • T-Pad WS802C-2G
  • T-Pad WS802C-3G
  • T-Pad WS703C-2G
  • T-Pad WS704C-3G
  • T-Pad WS707C-EDGE
  • T-Pad WS708C-2G

• Micromax
  • Micromax Funbook P300

• UbiSlate
  • UbiSlate 7R Plus
  • UbiSlate 7C Plus Edge

Still Facing Problem..??

Wrong method of rooting and extsd to sd :( I have tryed this instead bricked my tab and had to restore nandroid backup(micromax fun book p32)
My original vold

---------- Post added at 07:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:58 AM ----------

## Vold 2.0 Generic fstab
## - San Mehat ([email protected])
##

#######################
## Regular device mount
##
## Format: dev_mount <label> <mount_point> <part> <sysfs_path1...>
## label - Label for the volume
## mount_point - Where the volume will be mounted
## part - Partition # (1 based), or 'auto' for first usable partition.
## <sysfs_path> - List of sysfs paths to source devices
######################

## Example of a standard sdcard mount for the emulator / Dream
# Mounts the first usable partition of the specified device
#dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard auto /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.0 /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.2/mmc_host/mmc1
dev_mount flash /mnt/sdcard auto /dev/block/mtd/by-name/user
dev_mount sdcard /mnt/external_sd auto /devices/platform/rk29_sdmmc.0/mmc_host/mmc0
dev_mount udisk /mnt/usb_storage auto /devices/platform/usb20_host/usb /devices/platform/usb20_otg/usb
## Example of a dual card setup
# dev_mount left_sdcard /sdcard1 auto /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.0 /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.2/mmc_host/mmc1
# dev_mount right_sdcard /sdcard2 auto /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.1 /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.3/mmc_host/mmc1

## Example of specifying a specific partition for mounts
# dev_mount sdcard /sdcard 2 /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.0 /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.2/mmc_host/mmc1
Simple.. just go to this thread it will automatically install drivers and root INA minute this method is tested by me,I am also having the same tab..
If u don't have cwm to replace Chinese superuser download supersu from play store and it will do it without cwm..

---------- Post added at 06:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:52 AM ----------

Wrong method of rooting and extsd to sd :( I have tryed this instead bricked my tab and had to restore nandroid backup(micromax fun book p32)
My original vold

Reactions: fleetwing

vig vanx

Feb 2, 2014
need method for devices whose data/internal sd is emulated by the same partition

sir, please I need a method to edit void.fstab whose internal SD and data is the same partition

danish1994

May 1, 2013
Delhi

My original vold

---------- Post added at 07:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:58 AM ----------

##

#######################
## Regular device mount
##
######################

#dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard auto /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.0 /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.2/mmc_host/mmc1
dev_mount sdcard /mnt/external_sd auto /devices/platform/rk29_sdmmc.0/mmc_host/mmc0
dev_mount udisk /mnt/usb_storage auto /devices/platform/usb20_host/usb /devices/platform/usb20_otg/usb
# dev_mount left_sdcard /sdcard1 auto /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.0 /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.2/mmc_host/mmc1
# dev_mount right_sdcard /sdcard2 auto /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.1 /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.3/mmc_host/mmc1

# dev_mount sdcard /sdcard 2 /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.0 /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.2/mmc_host/mmc1

get the firmware image of your device from official sources..
boot in recovery mode and install the firmware from the sd card

zakiyy

Dec 1, 2008
For me ws802c i have this :
##

#######################
## Regular device mount
##
######################

#dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard 1 /devices/platform/s3c-sdhci.0/mmc_host/mmc0 removable,encryptable
#dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard 1 /devices/platform/s3c-sdhci.2/mmc_host/mmc2 removable,encryptable
dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard 1 /devices/platform/s3c-sdhci.0/mmc_host/mmc0
dev_mount extsd /mnt/extsd 1 /devices/platform/s3c-sdhci.2/mmc_host/mmc2
dev_mount udisk /mnt/udisk 1 /devices/platform/s5p-ehci/usb1

What i shd remove or change not same to tutorials

danish1994

May 1, 2013
Delhi
For me ws802c i have this :
##

#######################
## Regular device mount
##
######################

#dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard 1 /devices/platform/s3c-sdhci.0/mmc_host/mmc0 removable,encryptable
#dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard 1 /devices/platform/s3c-sdhci.2/mmc_host/mmc2 removable,encryptable
dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard 1 /devices/platform/s3c-sdhci.0/mmc_host/mmc0
dev_mount extsd /mnt/extsd 1 /devices/platform/s3c-sdhci.2/mmc_host/mmc2
dev_mount udisk /mnt/udisk 1 /devices/platform/s5p-ehci/usb1

What i shd remove or change not same to tutorials

Sdcard and extsd..

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

What is The Problem?

This Is A HACK

What Will You Need

• A Rooted Device

Instruction

• Install Root Explorer.
    • Click On 'Mount R/W'.

And Convert

TO

Restart Your Device

If Not..??

And Convert

TO

And Restart Your Device

Tested Devices

• BSNL Penta
    • T-Pad IS709C
    • T-Pad IS701C
    • T-Pad IS703C
    • T-Pad IS801C
    • T-Pad WS802C-2G
    • T-Pad WS802C-3G
    • T-Pad WS703C-2G
    • T-Pad WS704C-3G
    • T-Pad WS707C-EDGE
    • T-Pad WS708C-2G

• Micromax
    • Micromax Funbook P300

• UbiSlate
    • UbiSlate 7R Plus
    • UbiSlate 7C Plus Edge

Still Facing Problem..??
    Contact Me On Facebook At https://www.facebook.com/DaNish.AnSari.1994

PLEASE QUOTE FOR FURTHER INFO.
    Novice at Rooting

Thanks for the hack. I am trying to root my Visual Land Connect 4. I got everything to work except I can't find /etc on my root checker. Where should I be if not in here?

not on root checker. It will be there in root explorer..
    you first need to root your device before you can edit that file..

What is The Problem?

This Is A HACK

What Will You Need

• A Rooted Device

Instruction

• Install Root Explorer.
    • Click On 'Mount R/W'.

And Convert

TO

Restart Your Device

If Not..??

And Convert

TO

And Restart Your Device

Tested Devices

• BSNL Penta
    • T-Pad IS709C
    • T-Pad IS701C
    • T-Pad IS703C
    • T-Pad IS801C
    • T-Pad WS802C-2G
    • T-Pad WS802C-3G
    • T-Pad WS703C-2G
    • T-Pad WS704C-3G
    • T-Pad WS707C-EDGE
    • T-Pad WS708C-2G

• Micromax
    • Micromax Funbook P300

• UbiSlate
    • UbiSlate 7R Plus
    • UbiSlate 7C Plus Edge

Still Facing Problem..??

My original vold

##

#######################
    ## Regular device mount
    ##
    ######################

My original vold
    I don't have any of these lines on my Samsung Epic 4G...

Samsung Devices only have one main partition in their internal memory so you cant find these things on your device.