• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Convert SM-G930F to SM-G930FD / Add Dual-SIM-Support

Search This thread

andreaslev

Jun 11, 2016
aktion.jpg

Chimera Aktion am Freitag -20 Euro

Last edited:

Philipp97714

Nov 16, 2014
I want to do this with my exynos Note 8 (N950F). I think the new IMEI certs can be installed without root using "IMEI Gurus lcc service tool 6.6.9". But I don't have the factory imei certificate and without a backup I don't have anything to flash. I flashed a combination factory firmware and established an ADB connection. However I can not run the ls command in efs/ (permission denied) where the imei might be stored. Therefore I searched a tree of the directory and found that (ignore the text): forum.hdblog.it/index.php?/topic/33682-guidaimeiefs-n9005-efs-backuprestore/#entry420415 which might be helpful. I also figured out that the file efs/nv_data.bin should contain the imei but it is not accessible through adb.
I found no solution so far, getting a backup without triggering knox, but I think it must be possible because with the mentioned (free) tool it is possible to set a certificate, so why shouldn't it be possible to read one!? I also tried to perform a soft root with kingroot and kingoroot, so knox get not triggered. I had no success. I tried to make a efs backup with the cracked Z3X Samsung Tool but it also requires root. For now, it seems to be impossible to convert any exynos smartphone to dual sim without triggering knox, but it is possible to do so with a snapdragon, because you can do a soft root.
I think trying to root the combination firmware is the right way because it has Android 7 with security patches from 2017. I just wanted to share what I found out so far and now I give up.

difto

Oct 1, 2014
H
I want to do this with my exynos Note 8 (N950F). I think the new IMEI certs can be installed without root using "IMEI Gurus lcc service tool 6.6.9". But I don't have the factory imei certificate and without a backup I don't have anything to flash. I flashed a combination factory firmware and established an ADB connection. However I can not run the ls command in efs/ (permission denied) where the imei might be stored. Therefore I searched a tree of the directory and found that (ignore the text): forum.hdblog.it/index.php?/topic/33682-guidaimeiefs-n9005-efs-backuprestore/#entry420415 which might be helpful. I also figured out that the file efs/nv_data.bin should contain the imei but it is not accessible through adb.
I found no solution so far, getting a backup without triggering knox, but I think it must be possible because with the mentioned (free) tool it is possible to set a certificate, so why shouldn't it be possible to read one!? I also tried to perform a soft root with kingroot and kingoroot, so knox get not triggered. I had no success. I tried to make a efs backup with the cracked Z3X Samsung Tool but it also requires root. For now, it seems to be impossible to convert any exynos smartphone to dual sim without triggering knox, but it is possible to do so with a snapdragon, because you can do a soft root.
I think trying to root the combination firmware is the right way because it has Android 7 with security patches from 2017. I just wanted to share what I found out so far and now I give up.
I don't think you can access efs without actually being root. Anyway just root, Knox brings nothing you cannot do with root

BADAMI

Apr 2, 2016
i have successfuly converted my s7 g930s to dual sim.now my question is can i update my modem and bootleader seperately (not flashing stock rom) .is it safe or i ll lose dual sim?

Hubik82

May 11, 2010
Gent, Belgium
i have successfuly converted my s7 g930s to dual sim.now my question is can i update my modem and bootleader seperately (not flashing stock rom) .is it safe or i ll lose dual sim?
Hey, which method and software did you used? I tried today with ZX3 35.1 and it crashes when reading the cert file. I don't know, maybe my modem version is to high or sth like that but I would love to hear how it was in your case.

nickRic

Jun 13, 2008
Hi everyone ,

I have a dual sim tray laying around somewhere here being useless now. And I also read this thread a few times, but still feel that I'm missing a step.
So please correct me in my adventure in going dual-sim in these few steps for my stock SM-G935F :fingers-crossed::
- root S7 Edge with TWRP (https://dl.twrp.me/herolte/) and Magisk (https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/releases/);
- probably a factory reset via Magisk;
- copy IMEI to sim2 using Chimera (https://chimeratool.com/en/shop);

The Q's:
- That's it?
- Can I keep using the stock rom with dual sim or do I have to pick up an SM-G935FD rom at Sammobile?
- If I want to use the same carrier on both sims, can I use/program the IMEI from my other broken samsung for SIM2? nvm... it's a hash by Samsung, since the old phone is broken, I can't retrieve te cert's. (hmmm. talking to myself huh...)

Tia!

Last edited:

nickRic

Jun 13, 2008
a quicky into S7 Edge Dual Sim...

Hi, did you convert your phone to dual sim successfully?
Guide seems not precise to me too.

Yep, I converted my S7 Edgo to dual sim, but I don't think the rooting was not necessary anymore in 2019 :)
However, I rooted my S7 Edge using: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYYyxWH3xew

To activate dual sim the steps are basicly:
- read your cert, using Chimera. I used a 3 day license of "Chimera" (https://chimeratool.com/en)
- copy, paste your existing IMEI ( using a part of: https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s7/how-to/converting-s7-single-sim-to-dual-sim-t3881189 )
- write the edited cert with the two imei's, using Chimera.
- flashed my phone with the Official Stock Rom using Odin
- voilá!

I didn't use a "U3 combination file" as described in the thread above.
And All downloads are for the source, meaning TWRP for the S7 Edge from: https://twrp.me/samsung/samsunggalaxys7edge.html
Stockrom from Sammobile (of course ;) )
And, if you're not ready for glue yet, you might try a "Dual Sim card Adapter Micro SD" first.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: tester2

Mr.Arslan

Apr 10, 2017
Attock
Converted single sim to dual (s7-edge)

I have recently converted my s7 edge single sim to dual sim without z3x box i have used crack version of z3x which can be used without box if properly installed.
before converting i want to tell that i was on the latest android 8.0 with latest security patches.
STEPS I DID=#
INSTALLATION FILES=
1)Installed latest U4 combination file for s7 edge.
2)istalled kingoroot for one time temporary rooting.
3)installed crack version of z3x box.(youtube it)

Now These are the steps i used for converting
1)flash U4 Combination file via odin.
2)root the device using kingoroot.(Internet is neccessary)
3)open z3x and read the cert file of your device it will be saved in your pc.
4)open the cert file as text file and copy and paste it all the way down starting from Imei.
5)write 2 after the pasted text i.e IMEI2 ,PUBKEY2,ETC
6)save it and write this edited cert file using z3x.
7)your device will restart and will ask you to reset/restart the device just click on that reset/restart option.
8)thats it your device is successfully converted and you can install any rom on your device official or custom your device will not revert back to single sim unless you again use z3x box and do the reverse procedure.?

---------- Post added at 11:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 PM ----------

Hi everyone ,

I have a dual sim tray laying around somewhere here being useless now. And I also read this thread a few times, but still feel that I'm missing a step.
So please correct me in my adventure in going dual-sim in these few steps for my stock SM-G935F :fingers-crossed::
- root S7 Edge with TWRP (https://dl.twrp.me/herolte/) and Magisk (https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/releases/);

The Q's:
- That's it?
- Can I keep using the stock rom with dual sim or do I have to pick up an SM-G935FD rom at Sammobile?
- If I want to use the same carrier on both sims, can I use/program the IMEI from my other broken samsung for SIM2? nvm... it's a hash by Samsung, since the old phone is broken, I can't retrieve te cert's. (hmmm. talking to myself huh...)

Tia!

you can keep your stock firmware as well as you can install G935FD rom if you have model G935F.
i don't know if this will work for canadian model.But you don't have to try this as your good to go for your own model firmware.

angello2299

Jul 23, 2010
Samsung Galaxy S7
I have recently converted my s7 edge single sim to dual sim without z3x box i have used crack version of z3x which can be used without box if properly installed.
before converting i want to tell that i was on the latest android 8.0 with latest security patches.
STEPS I DID=#
INSTALLATION FILES=

4)open the cert file as text file and copy and paste it all the way down starting from Imei.
7)your device will restart and will ask you to reset/restart the device just click on that reset/restart option.
8)thats it your device is successfully converted and you can install any rom on your device official or custom your device will not revert back to single sim unless you again use z3x box and do the reverse procedure.?

---------- Post added at 11:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 PM ----------

you can keep your stock firmware as well as you can install G935FD rom if you have model G935F.
i don't know if this will work for canadian model.But you don't have to try this as your good to go for your own model firmware.

can you pm me the link to z3x? i would really apreciate it

Philipp97714

Nov 16, 2014
STEPS I DID=#
INSTALLATION FILES=

8)thats it your device is successfully converted and you can install any rom on your device official or custom your device will not revert back to single sim unless you again use z3x box and do the reverse procedure.

Hi, I tried the same a month ago on my galaxy note 8 (SM-N950F) but kingoroot couldnt root the combination firmware. However, I want to do it with soft root to do not trigger the knox fuse. Any ideas what I can do? Any ideas?

Azazlimbu

Jun 8, 2018
Revert back to single sim

STEPS I DID=#
INSTALLATION FILES=

8)thats it your device is successfully converted and you can install any rom on your device official or custom your device will not revert back to single sim unless you again use z3x box and do the reverse procedure.

I want revert back to single sim but its not work i have z3x box i use set sim count single option and its show it successful but after phone reboot it goes dual sim again any proper solution please help me:crying:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    According to this picture from ifixit
    sDLixOkdfEdeAk1j.huge
    it's seem that all S7 version are dual sim capable...
    Converted single sim to dual (s7-edge)

STEPS I DID=#
    INSTALLATION FILES=

Hi everyone ,

The Q's:
    - That's it?

Tia!

Can get a SM-G930F from my provider. But would like to use double lines.
    After some research it would appear that to do this might be illegal in the UK so I think I won't bother. Dual sim phones come with two unique IMEI numbers and to have two sims running with the same IMEI would be inviting trouble.
    That's theory, most dual sim chinese phone that you can buy come with an unique IMEI, I never saw anyone getting into trouble because of this

You mean both sims use the same IMEI? well I have until the 24th October when my dual sim tray will arrive from china to muse over the ethics and repercussions of this.

Edit:
    It would appear that Dual sim phones with one IMEI number are the 'one sim working or the other' sort where as you need two IMEIs if both sims are going to be active - https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.mobile.android/Mj86ltfLziE
    can you pm me the link to z3x? i would really apreciate it

Sent.
    check pm