Convert T-Mobile to International (with Bootloader Re-LOCK)

Search This thread
I am on a converted tmobile IN2017 to IN2015 Global Rom. I have updated to OOS12 and have been on it for maybe a month. I want to flash an Android 12 custom rom. What is my best path for success? Should I go all the way back to Android 10 Tmobile version IN2017 using MSM tool?
Edit: Nevermind, I figured it out
you can download the downgrade files like the local update apk and the oos 11 ota, then install custom roms in oos 11

im kinda off topic here but ive been waiting for my tmobile unlock file and for some reason im kinda worried cus i dont have a tmobile sim and im out of the country so how will ik when they procces this and does it really take 2 weeks ?
just make sure your phone is already carrier unlocked and request the bootloader file unlock.bin on their website and like @sturner1254 said, it is exactly one week from the time you submit one.

Melcore127

Jul 19, 2021
just make sure your phone is already carrier unlocked and request the bootloader file unlock.bin on their website and like @sturner1254 said, it is exactly one week from the time you submit one.
yup i got mine today , now to load evo x on my phone thanks
yea my phone is carrier unlocked ive made sure of it
now all i gotta do is just use the token unlock my boot loader and load a custom rom like u would for any other OP8 phone

Reactions: thattechguy_69

sturner1254

Mar 9, 2017
so far so good. mine has stayed on the latest A10 without forcing update to 11. it still annoys me with notifications though even though i tried to block them. so far working very smooth,

Reactions: thattechguy_69

Melcore127

Jul 19, 2021
each time i try to install via twrp icant seem to get the twrp folder in there to install the custom rom package

Melcore127

Jul 19, 2021
So guys update it actually worked and oh my evolution x is amazing now one thing could I lock the boot loader now will it do anything or cause any problems

So guys update it actually worked and oh my evolution x is amazing now one thing could I lock the boot loader now will it do anything or cause any problems
You cant really lock the bootloader on custom roms since its not the original OS and the phone will corrupt itself. The only exceptions are using Pixel Experience, self signed build of lineage os, and Jaguar ROM.

TalionDread

Oct 3, 2012
Sorry for spamming the board today, but I think I figured it out.

Thanks to @thattechguy_69 for all the work here so far. This is just to help anybody who is having issues like I did.

The "critical partitions" issue appears to be a DRIVERS issue, not a fastboot version issue or anything else with the actual phone or ROM files. I had installed all of the drivers that every guide said to install, but I stumbled upon this post by @FoxyDrew that solved my issue.

Here's how I finally got into 10.5.12.IN21AA (Global ROM) on my IN2017:

1. Just to be safe (not sure if it's necessary) boot into TEST MODE on your Windows machine. I did all of this from Test Mode.
  2. Download the files from the zip attached at the bottom of the first post on this thread. Install both files (OnePlus USB Drivers and QDLoader HS-USB Driver).
  3. At some point I THOUGHT I installed the Fastboot drivers, but maybe I messed that part up or maybe it was before I was in Test Mode. Regardless, download the Google fastboot driver zip in this post. Unzip it to your desktop.
  4. Open the extracted folder and then the usb_driver folder inside, then right-click on the android_winusb.inf file and select Install. Confirm the installation.
  5. Plug in your phone.
  6. Open Device Manager. Your phone should show up under "Universal Serial Bus controllers" as "IN2017" when it is in CHARGING ONLY mode, and under Portable Devices when in File Transfer mode or PNP mode. If not, you'll need to fix your USB drivers from step 2 above.
  7. Make sure you can get adb commands to work, then reboot to the bootloader ("adb reboot bootloader" should get you to the FastBoot Mode menu with the big green "START" banner at the top) and make sure fastboot commands also work ("fastboot devices" will show you if your phone is detected properly).
  8. Check Device Manager again while in bootloader mode - your phone should now show up under "Android Phone" as "Android Bootloader Interface." If it shows up as IN2017 with an exclamation mark, you need to fix the issues with the fastboot driver in step 4 above. I actually did this step while at the "waiting for device" message while flashing the Global ROM and it kick-started the installation's second phase.
  9. I also followed some steps from this post by @awsan - I copied the entire platform-tools folder that I downloaded from his post (r31.0.2) into the 10.5.12-GLOBAL folder, replacing all duplicate files. I don't think booting into fastboot like he says to do (language selection splash screen) worked, I had to boot into the bootloader from there to get the flash-all.bat to start.
  10. From here, I think I just double-clicked the flash-all.bat and everything worked properly - with the note that I was stuck at "waiting for device" after the first reboot command in the middle of the installation. The process in step 4 got me through this.
This fixed my issues with not being able to flash critical partitions (because I suspect they re-lock when fastbootd switches into bootloader if you manually do it). Now it doesn't hang at all. I am going to play around with this to make sure I didn't miss anything and see if it works with other TMo firmware versions and the newer 11.0 Global ROM.

I have not tried locking the bootloader yet.

Oh, and 5G and VoLTE both appear to be working.
Thank you for sharing!!! Was pulling my hair wondering why the heck I couldn't figure this out. Finally working now.

Reactions: SilverZero
Sep 10, 2017
Does anyone have their phone restart twice? When I restart my phone, it seems to restart one more time shortly after I start to use it. It works fine after that but I've noticed that it happens consistently and I was wondering if there's something I can do to prevent that. Thanks!

Does anyone have their phone restart twice? When I restart my phone, it seems to restart one more time shortly after I start to use it. It works fine after that but I've noticed that it happens consistently and I was wondering if there's something I can do to prevent that. Thanks!
yeah in my experience on oos 12 but it was gone after c.16

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    yeah in my experience on oos 12 but it was gone after c.16
    Thanks for the quick response. I'm on IN2015_11_C.16 as well. Hopefully it goes away after the next update.
    yikessss, can you backup everything and maybe downgrade to oos 11?
    I'd probably have to msm back to T-Mobile software and decide if I want to try converting to global again... Ugh... PITA!

I just looked at my info and for some reason it says I am still on c.16, but I know I had told it to install c.20, so something is borked up....

Cheers,
    B.D.
    The required files will be attached in the end of this guide.
    OnePlus 8 TMobile to Global Fastboot ROM
    MSM TOOL for IN2017

Alternatives from the files above, if you get errors every time you are trying to flash like "NO SIM INSTALLED"
    (THIS IS WHAT I PERSONALLY USE):
    MSM TOOL for IN2017 Alternative
    OnePlus 8 Fastboot ROM Alternative

1st Step: (Make sure Test Mode is ON and Driver Signature is OFF)
    First install the Drivers of the phone and the Qualcomm Drivers inside the DRIVERS.zip attached to this thread.

2nd Step: Make sure your OnePlus 8 IN2017's bootloader is unlocked- unlocking bootloader will result to factory resetting your phone. Please backup your phone before doing this process. Instructions on how to unlock

3rd Step: After the bootloader is unlocked, you have to enable "USB Debugging" and reboot your device to Fastboot Mode.

4th and Last Step: Unzip the ZIP file and Open the Global Rom (10.5.12 OnePlus 8 Global Rom). Find flash-all.bat and double click on it. Type and enter Y when it asks to and just let it do its Terminal Process.

**After the batch file is done, your phone should automatically boot to Global Rom Oxygen OS and no more of that T-Mobile
    splash screen.

This is a YouTube walkthrough video on how to do it: Credits to Fizzy Apps on YouTube

DO NOT LOCK YOUR BOOTLOADER YET, TO LOCK BOOTLOADER (THIS WILL WIPE EVERYTHING):
    -Download the latest OxygenOS 11 ROM
    -Move the downloaded ROM from "Downloads" folder to "Internal Storage"
    -Go to settings and find System Update, then press Local Update and choose the downloaded ROM
    -After its done installing, click REBOOT/Restart the device
    -After rebooting, go into FASTBOOT MODE and when you are in FASTBOOT MODE, type "fastboot oem lock"
    -Press the volume buttons to select LOCK BOOTLOADER and there you go, LOCKED Bootloader!

IF SOMEHOW YOU GOT "QUALCOMM CrashDump Mode" during the 4th step or you locked Bootloader right after flashing ROM and it got corrupted.

1) Enable Test Mode and Disable Driver Signature Verification on Windows PC.

2) On your phone, simultaneously press and hold Volume Up (+) and Power Button and when the screen shuts down, IMMEDIATELY release both buttons. This means you forced shutdown the device.

3) Set year date on your PC to 2017 and Turn off WIFI for MSM Tool to work and after doing this, open MSM TOOL folder you downloaded at the top of this guide and click MsmDownloadTool V4.0.exe

4) On Login, set user type to "OTHER" and click next. at the top left side find "TARGET" and set it to O2/TMO

5) While simultaneously holding both the volume buttons, connect the phone to the PC. As soon as the phone is connected, a COM# like COM3, etc. will appear on the MSM Tool and immediately click ENUM, then click COM#, then Start. (If COM# doesn't show up just continue to click the ENUM button during process and it should show up)

<A YouTube Video walkthrough of this process> Credits to Shahin Shaan for this.

**This should start the process of restoring your phone back to OxygenOS 10 and you have to start back to square 1 in order to flash Global ROM again. So, USB Debugging>Fastboot Mode>Unlock Bootloader>Enable USB Debugging Again>Boot again to Fastboot>Double Click on flash-all.bat on Global ROM folder. Also, I added TOOL ALL IN ONE which should make unlocking bootloader, booting to Fastboot faster.

Credits to these amazing people for making this possible:

@matteosaeed and his Guide.
    •Ms. user_ajusee's Guide
    •Mr. gregoryaul (@Aulgreg38) from HighOnAndroid Forums
    •THE MAN HIMSELF: Mr. Max Lee himself of HighOnAndroid Forums; link to his YouTube channel.
    I tried again, MSM to 10.5.7, unlocked bootloader, rebooted to bootloader, flash-all.bat, and I'm still getting errors on the critical partitions. And I can't figure out how to unlock the critical partitions (probably not allowed in TMo firmware).

I'm going to MSM to 10.5.22 and see if that makes any difference.

EDIT: No dice. 10.5.22 made no difference. The issue is the locked critical partitions. If anybody has any solutions please tag me.
    Sorry for spamming the board today, but I think I figured it out.

Thanks to @thattechguy_69 for all the work here so far. This is just to help anybody who is having issues like I did.

The "critical partitions" issue appears to be a DRIVERS issue, not a fastboot version issue or anything else with the actual phone or ROM files. I had installed all of the drivers that every guide said to install, but I stumbled upon this post by @FoxyDrew that solved my issue.

Here's how I finally got into 10.5.12.IN21AA (Global ROM) on my IN2017:

1. Just to be safe (not sure if it's necessary) boot into TEST MODE on your Windows machine. I did all of this from Test Mode.
    2. Download the files from the zip attached at the bottom of the first post on this thread. Install both files (OnePlus USB Drivers and QDLoader HS-USB Driver).
    3. At some point I THOUGHT I installed the Fastboot drivers, but maybe I messed that part up or maybe it was before I was in Test Mode. Regardless, download the Google fastboot driver zip in this post. Unzip it to your desktop.
    4. Open the extracted folder and then the usb_driver folder inside, then right-click on the android_winusb.inf file and select Install. Confirm the installation.
    5. Plug in your phone.
    6. Open Device Manager. Your phone should show up under "Universal Serial Bus controllers" as "IN2017" when it is in CHARGING ONLY mode, and under Portable Devices when in File Transfer mode or PNP mode. If not, you'll need to fix your USB drivers from step 2 above.
    7. Make sure you can get adb commands to work, then reboot to the bootloader ("adb reboot bootloader" should get you to the FastBoot Mode menu with the big green "START" banner at the top) and make sure fastboot commands also work ("fastboot devices" will show you if your phone is detected properly).
    8. Check Device Manager again while in bootloader mode - your phone should now show up under "Android Phone" as "Android Bootloader Interface." If it shows up as IN2017 with an exclamation mark, you need to fix the issues with the fastboot driver in step 4 above. I actually did this step while at the "waiting for device" message while flashing the Global ROM and it kick-started the installation's second phase.
    9. I also followed some steps from this post by @awsan - I copied the entire platform-tools folder that I downloaded from his post (r31.0.2) into the 10.5.12-GLOBAL folder, replacing all duplicate files. I don't think booting into fastboot like he says to do (language selection splash screen) worked, I had to boot into the bootloader from there to get the flash-all.bat to start.
    10. From here, I think I just double-clicked the flash-all.bat and everything worked properly - with the note that I was stuck at "waiting for device" after the first reboot command in the middle of the installation. The process in step 4 got me through this.
    This fixed my issues with not being able to flash critical partitions (because I suspect they re-lock when fastbootd switches into bootloader if you manually do it). Now it doesn't hang at all. I am going to play around with this to make sure I didn't miss anything and see if it works with other TMo firmware versions and the newer 11.0 Global ROM.

I have not tried locking the bootloader yet.

Oh, and 5G and VoLTE both appear to be working.
    I managed to successfully convert my OP8 to the global version this morning.

Here are a few things I can confirm:

- 5G and VoLTE are working on my device (Rogers network in Canada)
    - Banking apps work as expected
    - Widevine certification is exactly as it was prior (L1), meaning I can stream in full HD/HDR with Netflix
    - I was able to OTA update to the latest 11.0.10.10 without any issues at all

My first attempt trying this was a month ago. I was lazy and didn't roll the phone all the way back to Android 10 using the MSM tool. So I tried using "flash-all" with a newer global package and it did not work (crashdump error). Figured it was worth a shot... for whatever reason it just doesn't work. Ended up restoring with the MSM tool.

This time, I did this:
    1. Reverted back to official T-Mobile Android 10 using the MSM tool
    2. Unlocked my bootloader using the all-in-one tool + my unlock token
    3. Used the all-in-one tool to flash the global fastboot ROM (Android 10) linked in the original post
    4. Manually flashed the EU update from the device (also linked in original post)
    5. Locked the bootloader using the all-in-one tool
    6. Used the Oxygen Updater app to download the latest global full release (11.0.9.9) and installed it from my device
    7. Performed an OTA update, bringing me to 11.0.10.10
    Sorry for the long post. I thought it might help someone else out since I modified a few steps from the original post and found success with this approach.
    Thanks for the guide!! I just submitted my request to T-Mobile to unlock my boot loader so now I play the waiting game... 😴
    In the meantime, can someone please clarify what does converting from IN2017 to International achieve? Ultimately my goal is to flash a custom ROM - not sure if I can do this directly after unlocking my boot loader.
    IN2017 is Tmobile version of the phone and updates are late and you cant sideload an update because it is not available on carrier versions of the phone. Converting it to International version gives access to the latest updates, and some other features that weren't available to Tmobile version. If you do this method, you will lose Safetynet which is the ability to use bank apps and etc. So after converting you have to lock the bootloader if you wish to do anything related to banking.
    I am confused between this guide and the old one " Covert to Global ( WIP ) . Which one is best guide to convert OP8 TMO Android 11 to Global ?
    Should I back up/ change modem with this guide ?
    Is there diff between EU and Global ROM/modem/etc. to use 5G in USA and other oversea countries ?
    I want Always On Display ( AOD ) , which ROM EU or Global will have it ?
    TIA

Yeah, it's not entirely clear to me, either.

This is what you should do:

(1) Put your phone back on Android 10 TMobile firmware using one of the packages with msmdownloadtool. I used 10.5.7

(2) Unlock bootloader.

(2*) Get TWRP boot image. Put phone in fastboot mode, type:

fastboot boot twrpimage.img

After TWRP boots, take a backup of your persist and modem partitions (I recommend using dd to do it, here's an example: dd if=/dev/block/boot device/by-name/persist of=/sdcard/persist.img.ext4). You could probably use TWRP to do the backup, but that's on you. Transfer them off of the phone and safeguard them.

Now reboot from TWRP to fastboot mode. Unlock the bootloader, reboot to fastboot mode, and flash a 10.x euro or global ROM with fastboot. The guide says Euro, but I suspect you could use global, also. The goal is to have it running 10.x firmware (that's not for a carrier variant). After that boots, download the latest global OTA zip onto your internal sdcard. Open the updater in Settings, then select the file. After it updates, reboot to see if everything is OK. If it is, boot to fastboot and relock the bootloader.

The