Convert to DualSIM Huawei P10 Plus (VKY-LXX)

Search This thread

BadWolfYe

ADVICE, THIS IS A HARD HOW-TO AND YOU LOST ALL DATA ON YOUR DEVICE, THE RISK OF BRICK IS LOW
Welcome to a V1 Version of th tutorial for convert the Single-SIM to Dual-SIM on Huawei P10+, based on experience of Huawei P9 Lite and researching for Huawei P10/P10+/Mate9

Requirements:
  • Pacience, more, more, pacience
  • BOOTLOADER Unlocked
  • Custom Recovery
  • Have a Unlock CODE (its needed for re-unlock the bootloader, for any mistake the bootloader relock after this how-to)
  • READ ALL HOW-TO

How-To:
  1. First download the L29 ROM: THERE
  2. Download OEMINFO DualSIM.zip from THERE
  3. Download the Custom eRecovery without online comprobation of Firmware/Version of device (this can open the possibility of install any ROM for this Device with 3 Buttons of VKY-) : THERE
  4. Copy the ROM of the L29, in External SD in the HWOTA folder, entire .zip files downloaded previusly
  5. Extract .zip OEMINFO file and go to External SD TWRP/Backups/NUMEROSERIENUESTRODISPOSITIVO/ *and copy in this the folder of DualSIM*
  6. Backup all data with Huawei Backup Utility
  7. Reboot in RECOVERY and Backup all data
  8. In recovery go to "restore" and select: VKY-L29C432DualSIM
  9. Via Fastboot flash the erecoverycustom.img file with this commands:
    fastboot flash recovery erecoverycustom.img
    fastboot flash recovery2 erecoverycustom.img

REINSTALL Firmware (L29C432):
  1. With the ROM on HWOTA of External SD Card
  2. PowerOFF the device
  3. Press simultanius VOL+, VOL- and POWER, you see the installation process, release the buttons
After the REINSTALATION, in SETTINGS, before Wi-Fi you seed "Setting Dual-Card" this is the important, its de Magic MENU! all finished :D

AVOID DONT RESTORE FROM RECOVERY BACKUP O YOU LOST ALL RELATED WITH DUAL-SIM
Only restore with the Huawei Backup app.

REGARDS!!

Last edited:

roosta

Oct 26, 2010
Melbourne
Thanks for the guide, but can anyone please explain the benefit in performing such a hack, for a phone to 'think' its another model if it doesn't have all the same features as the one it is imitating?

RoOSTA

adamelphick

Feb 1, 2006
London
Huawei P20 Pro
Huawei P30 Pro
Thanks for the guide, but can anyone please explain the benefit in performing such a hack, for a phone to 'think' its another model if it doesn't have all the same features as the one it is imitating?

RoOSTA

The benefit is that it BECOMES dual SIM as it is only disabled in software not hardware.

---------- Post added at 03:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:32 PM ----------

Great you have posted this How To BadWolfYe - only bits i am not sure of are the 'unlock boto loader' as see no instructions for this (unless i am being completely dim, which is possible!) and where to find an unlock code in case we need to relock the bootloader... or do we have to re-lock it after to get OTA? Actually if we do get OTA will be get the dual or single SIM OTA once upgradng to this?

dave852

Jul 24, 2007
Has anyone got this to work? This is my first Hauwei device so I wasn't 100% sure how to complete some of the steps. What I have a the moment is a phone that reports as having 2GB of RAM, 16GB of storage space and running Android 5.1. Could anyone please expand on this guide or let me know where I went wrong?

dave852

Jul 24, 2007
Okay, I don't really know how I managed to do it but I've managed to change the software of my L09 to that of an L29 and it works fine. So thanks for this guide.

After stumbling through this guide I ended up with a device that had some weird software with ndr90m test keys (whatever that means0. However he Dual SIM worked. So then I followed the guide from here with the firmware from this post and now I have phone that correctly (or should that be incorrectly as strictly speaking it was originally an L09) identifies a P10 Plus L29.

Reactions: JayTeeSA

adamelphick

Feb 1, 2006
London
Huawei P20 Pro
Huawei P30 Pro
Okay, I don't really know how I managed to do it but I've managed to change the software of my L09 to that of an L29 and it works fine. So thanks for this guide.

After stumbling through this guide I ended up with a device that had some weird software with ndr90m test keys (whatever that means0. However he Dual SIM worked. So then I followed the guide from here with the firmware from this post and now I have phone that correctly (or should that be incorrectly as strictly speaking it was originally an L09) identifies a P10 Plus L29.
Which one of the guides did you follow on that page? First or second?

Also... Just to confirm that all you did was use the 29 rom from here rather than the 09 from there?

Plus (sorry for all questions).... Your second sim now works ok?

Thanks
Adam

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Tapatalk

resch13

Mar 13, 2011
Hi all,
First of all: BadWolfYe! Thank you the guide!

So yesterday I got my new P10 plus, but I became really upset when I realized it is only one SIM version, so decided to make it 2 :)
But!
OK, I did not do anything like this in the last few years, but I am not totally amateur. But I had problem wit it... :D

I did everything as written.
I restored the VKY-L29C432DualSIM and now I do not know what to do... :(

I know, next point, but my pc doesn't recognize the phone. And ADB doesn't either.
When I turn it on, it goes to Huawei erecovery, wants wifi and download something to recover.
It was TWRP recovery before on it, but it seems it disappeared after VKY-L29C432DualSIM...

Unfortunately I had to come to work, so could not play with it and to be honest I am too tired after this to think clearly.

Does anybody know how can I do the next step? (Via Fastboot flash the erecoverycustom.img file with this commands:)

Thanks.

dave852

Jul 24, 2007

Also... Just to confirm that all you did was use the 29 rom from here rather than the 09 from there?

Thanks
Adam

I used method 1 and the 29 ROM from here.

---------- Post added at 07:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:57 PM ----------

I'll attempt a guide here that's maybe not the quickest way of doing it but it's the way that works for me. The guide also assumes you can manage to download a quick adb setup and use adb from the command line. Bear in mind that BadWolfYe has written guides on what I'm about to cover below and that's how I learnt. TWRP install by BadWolfYe.

0) Take working L09 phone and bootloader unlock code (I put the details of my phone into the Huawei website and got a code in return)
1) Enable developer options by going to Settings>About phone and tapping 'Build number' a bunch of times until it says you have enabled developer options.
2)Now go to Settings>Developer options and select 'enable OEM unlock'. Also enable USB debugging and ADB etc.
3)Download and rename twrp to twrp.img from the link in the BadWolfYe thread here
4)ADB reboot bootloader' from the command line and enter 'fastboot flash recovery twrp.img'
5)Press and hold volume up and power until you are in TWRP and then back up your OEM partition. (if you can't get into TWRP then you may need to repeat step 4 and also do 'fastboot flash recovery2 twrp.img).
6)Use the File manager in TWRP to replace the OEM files with files from the zip file download link in this thread above.
7)Restore OEM partition and then use the Shutdown option in TWRP.
8)Download the ROM from above This BadWolfYe link and unzip to find 3 files.
9)Place files in a folder called HWOTA on a microSD card and place card into phone
10) Download this file from this guide and extract to your computers hard drive.
11) run update.bat from that extracted contents as an administrator and follow the on screen instructions. The on screen instructions basically take you through from step four on the stechguide.com method 1 through to the end of the guide. I think I remember you get some options and I just use option 1 twice, from SD card and not rebrand.

If you can follow the guides they should work fine and you'll end up with a completely stock dual SIM phone with a locked bootloader.

From that point on I unlock the bootloader on mine again, install TWRP again and use it to flash Magisk 12 for root. Using root and Titanium Backup I restore my old device ID and a bunch of apps and settings and things are fine. However on the next reboot the launcher refuses to run and I'm left with an unusable phone (I don't know how to launch apps without the launcher) and I get error messages about running short of space as something has filled the internal memory with what appears to be junk files. I then start from step 8 in my guide and get a phone with a locked bootloader and no root but the device ID I want and all my apps and data.

If someone could offer me any help with regards to this last part I'd be grateful. I don't understand what causes the launcher issue.

Last edited:

resch13

Mar 13, 2011
Fixed...
Device ID, I think same - unfortunately my PC was stupid (nooo, not me) and I make the note in it so I lost it
2 SIM works - however only EE ones so the phone is locked. (Testing the online unlock code sellers :D)
Bootloader locked
Met "ndr90m test keys" as dave852, but hes linked page and 1. method helped. Oh, and could not install L29 ROM with volume + - and power, only with the linked method. I think that method could do everything after you opened bootloader, but will not test it. I am happy with my L29 :D

But the important, there is a way to make L29 from L09 :D

dave852

Jul 24, 2007
Fixed...
Device ID, I think same - unfortunately my PC was stupid (nooo, not me) and I make the note in it so I lost it
2 SIM works - however only EE ones so the phone is locked. (Testing the online unlock code sellers :D)
Bootloader locked
Met "ndr90m test keys" as dave852, but hes linked page and 1. method helped. Oh, and could not install L29 ROM with volume + - and power, only with the linked method. I think that method could do everything after you opened bootloader, but will not test it. I am happy with my L29 :D

But the important, there is a way to make L29 from L09 :D

I would guess it would be possible using the files from the OEM backup you made (if you kept them) and a downloaded L09 ROM (available in a few places) but I'm not 100% sure and I'm not going to try it.

resch13

Mar 13, 2011
I would guess it would be possible using the files from the OEM backup you made (if you kept them) and a downloaded L09 ROM (available in a few places) but I'm not 100% sure and I'm not going to try it.

No, I have not any backup. I forgot to made any so I am lucky that I did not need it :D

toxxyk

Feb 1, 2012
Sibiu
I somehow managed to convert my single sim to dual-sim but unfortunately i cannot modify nor set any ringtone to the 2nd sim. Any ideas of how i can fix it ?

JohnRogers

Jun 3, 2009
www.swedroid.se
LOL. I gave this several attempts, alas, without success. I kept ending up with the test keys / strange device ID (ION something).

So I decided to skip my rebranding attempt and go back to L09. After "rebranding" it to L09 again and after flashing B130 for L09 I ended up with dual SIM support anyway. Eveything seems to be checking out as far as I can tell. Not sure if OTA will work though, time will tell I guess. Safety net etc. also checks out.

The options for dual SIM are showing and I've tested it. Everything just works.

Last edited:

Shu_S

May 3, 2017
Can anyone confirm that after enabling the second SIM slot that their phone now has 2 x IMEI numbers?

I just recently purchased p10 plus . for 3days the Fone was working fine both sims 3/virgin then suddenly emergency calls only on 2nd sim. I tried to deactivate activate ect ect . until I lost both sims. Soft hard reset sim 1/working sim2 emergency calls only. If I swap the sims around in the tray same issue . then with only one sim either 3/virgin full teceotuin if I make or receive a call after the call I have no reception I wil l need to swap the sim from tray1 to tray 2 . and the funny thing is both sims will receive and send texts all day long with no issues
Any ideas
Thanks in advance

Marco_Snow

Feb 6, 2017
I can confirm this works 100%. Dualsim working. Serial, imei all still the same. Recovery back to original too

Sent from my VKY-L29 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

haxus

Sep 4, 2015
Hello and THX for the HowTo whch worked well!!!

My Phone is shoing that there is an update (VKY-L29C432B133-FULL 2.76GB) which i try to install via the regular updater, however the updates always failes. I already installed the default recovery image.
Any Idears?
ERROR: Package Checksum

... Never mind - it was a network error on my e1000 :fingers-crossed:

Last edited:
Reactions: adieSA

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ADVICE, THIS IS A HARD HOW-TO AND YOU LOST ALL DATA ON YOUR DEVICE, THE RISK OF BRICK IS LOW
    Welcome to a V1 Version of th tutorial for convert the Single-SIM to Dual-SIM on Huawei P10+, based on experience of Huawei P9 Lite and researching for Huawei P10/P10+/Mate9

Requirements:
    • Pacience, more, more, pacience
    • BOOTLOADER Unlocked
    • Custom Recovery
    • Have a Unlock CODE (its needed for re-unlock the bootloader, for any mistake the bootloader relock after this how-to)
    • READ ALL HOW-TO

How-To:
    1. First download the L29 ROM: THERE
    2. Download OEMINFO DualSIM.zip from THERE
    3. Download the Custom eRecovery without online comprobation of Firmware/Version of device (this can open the possibility of install any ROM for this Device with 3 Buttons of VKY-) : THERE
    4. Copy the ROM of the L29, in External SD in the HWOTA folder, entire .zip files downloaded previusly
    5. Extract .zip OEMINFO file and go to External SD TWRP/Backups/NUMEROSERIENUESTRODISPOSITIVO/ *and copy in this the folder of DualSIM*
    6. Backup all data with Huawei Backup Utility
    7. Reboot in RECOVERY and Backup all data
    8. In recovery go to "restore" and select: VKY-L29C432DualSIM
    9. Via Fastboot flash the erecoverycustom.img file with this commands:
      fastboot flash recovery erecoverycustom.img
      fastboot flash recovery2 erecoverycustom.img

REINSTALL Firmware (L29C432):
    1. With the ROM on HWOTA of External SD Card
    2. PowerOFF the device
    3. Press simultanius VOL+, VOL- and POWER, you see the installation process, release the buttons
    After the REINSTALATION, in SETTINGS, before Wi-Fi you seed "Setting Dual-Card" this is the important, its de Magic MENU! all finished :D

AVOID DONT RESTORE FROM RECOVERY BACKUP O YOU LOST ALL RELATED WITH DUAL-SIM
    Only restore with the Huawei Backup app.

REGARDS!!

Thanks
    Adam

I used method 1 and the 29 ROM from here.

---------- Post added at 07:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:57 PM ----------

I'll attempt a guide here that's maybe not the quickest way of doing it but it's the way that works for me. The guide also assumes you can manage to download a quick adb setup and use adb from the command line. Bear in mind that BadWolfYe has written guides on what I'm about to cover below and that's how I learnt. TWRP install by BadWolfYe.

0) Take working L09 phone and bootloader unlock code (I put the details of my phone into the Huawei website and got a code in return)
    1) Enable developer options by going to Settings>About phone and tapping 'Build number' a bunch of times until it says you have enabled developer options.
    2)Now go to Settings>Developer options and select 'enable OEM unlock'. Also enable USB debugging and ADB etc.
    3)Download and rename twrp to twrp.img from the link in the BadWolfYe thread here
    4)ADB reboot bootloader' from the command line and enter 'fastboot flash recovery twrp.img'
    5)Press and hold volume up and power until you are in TWRP and then back up your OEM partition. (if you can't get into TWRP then you may need to repeat step 4 and also do 'fastboot flash recovery2 twrp.img).
    6)Use the File manager in TWRP to replace the OEM files with files from the zip file download link in this thread above.
    7)Restore OEM partition and then use the Shutdown option in TWRP.
    8)Download the ROM from above This BadWolfYe link and unzip to find 3 files.
    9)Place files in a folder called HWOTA on a microSD card and place card into phone
    10) Download this file from this guide and extract to your computers hard drive.
    11) run update.bat from that extracted contents as an administrator and follow the on screen instructions. The on screen instructions basically take you through from step four on the stechguide.com method 1 through to the end of the guide. I think I remember you get some options and I just use option 1 twice, from SD card and not rebrand.

If you can follow the guides they should work fine and you'll end up with a completely stock dual SIM phone with a locked bootloader.

From that point on I unlock the bootloader on mine again, install TWRP again and use it to flash Magisk 12 for root. Using root and Titanium Backup I restore my old device ID and a bunch of apps and settings and things are fine. However on the next reboot the launcher refuses to run and I'm left with an unusable phone (I don't know how to launch apps without the launcher) and I get error messages about running short of space as something has filled the internal memory with what appears to be junk files. I then start from step 8 in my guide and get a phone with a locked bootloader and no root but the device ID I want and all my apps and data.

If someone could offer me any help with regards to this last part I'd be grateful. I don't understand what causes the launcher issue.
    Turn Off the phone. Keep Volume up pressed and connect to PC with USB. The phone should now boot to Fastboot screen automatically. Then you can use fastboot from PC again.
    It should be volume down that needs to be pressed.

Sent from my HUAWEI NXT-L29 using XDA-Developers Legacy app
    Try again with method 1, thats how i did it
    I found a simpler way, I will create my own tutorial for beginners soon.