• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

How To Guide Converting Japanese Pixel 6 to Global version

Search This thread

HarryShan

Nov 12, 2014
Google Pixel 2 XL
Google Pixel 6
I live in a country with no Pixel availability and end up purchasing one in Japan.

Limitations(mostly forced shutter and screenshot sound) on Japan phones can be pretty annoying, so I researched a bit on how to remove those.

Search leads me to this reply by @ziand for same trick but on Pixel 5. Turns out Pixel 6 is different but similar. So I'll summarize what I've done here.
At the same time @ziand may also work on a magisk module or something when possible, doing the same thing but in a much safer way. Once his work is done please switch to his method.

Disclaimer
I'm not familiar with law in every country but doing this could have risk. Research before acting.

The instructions requires basic Linux/Android knowledge. You could brick your phone if not knowing what you're doing. You can always wait for ziand's work for more safety.

I confirm this works on my phone. But I'm not responsible for anything happens on yours. Use at your own risk.

1. Root your phone

adb shell
su
dd if=/dev/block/by-name/devinfo of=/sdcard/devinfo.img

3. Quit adb shell, then
adb pull /sdcard/devinfo.img
Keep this file as backup

4. Use a hex editor, open the "devinfo.img" pulled in step 3, find "GR1YH", it should be in 0x000000F7, edit it to "GB7N6", save as "devinfo_modified.img"
1637400692450-png.5463603

adb push ./devinfo_modified.img /sdcard/
adb shell
su
dd if=/sdcard/devinfo_modified.img of=/dev/block/by-name/devinfo

6. Reboot and enjoy
This should be permanent, you can also revert root if you want.

Last edited:

Abeyz

Jan 15, 2014
Hi,
Someone tried this on pixel 5a?
I dealing with the same anoying japanese problem.

ziand

Apr 24, 2008
HTC U12+
Google Pixel 5
At the same time @ziand may also work on a magisk module or something when possible, doing the same thing but in a much safer way. Once his work is done please switch to his method.
Here is below a script to convert the device to another version.
About versions of Google Pixel 6, Product ID oriole :
Model IDs:
G9S9B - Verizon and AT&T US carriers
GB7N6 - US Unlocked, US Google Fi, US TMO, Canada, Taiwan, Australia, Europe countries and carriers
GR1YH - Japan and carriers

Script for changing Model ID on Pixel 6
Prerequisites
  • Your phone has to be rooted
Downloads
(this version is for Pixel 6 pro too)​

Installation instruction
  • Download and install Magisk module above.
Running instruction

• Variant 1 with commands from PC:
Code:
adb shell
su
MID_Changer.sh

Example image:
Screenshot_02.png

Shorter Variant 1 with commands for PC:
Code:
adb shell
su -c MID_Changer.sh
  • Variant 2 with commands without PC.
Also you can use for example Android Terminal Emulator with commands:
Code:
su
MID_Changer.sh

• To apple changing, flash global Factory Image with erasing data.

Recommendations

If someone wouldn't like to use root in the future, he can lock bootloader by the command at bootloader mode:
Code:
fastboot flashing lock
or use parameter "Lock bootloader" at flashing Factory Image via Android Flash Tool.

Last edited:
Reactions: h281994

h281994

Nov 12, 2017
Google Pixel 6
Model IDs:
GB7N6 - US Unlocked, US Google Fi, US TMO, Canada, Taiwan, Australia, Europe countries and carriers

Prerequisites
Downloads
Installation instruction
Running instruction

Code:
adb shell
su
MID_Changer.sh

Example image:
View attachment 5471525
Code:
adb shell
su -c MID_Changer.sh
Code:
su
MID_Changer.sh

Recommendations

If someone wouldn't like to use root in the future, he can lock bootloader by the command at bootloader mode:
Code:
fastboot flashing lock
or use parameter "Lock bootloader" at flashing Factory Image via Android Flash Tool.
thank you very much. I tried and succeeded. my pixel 6 can mute the shutter sound. but after inserting the Japan sim, the sound comes back. so sad. I don't know is there any other solution?

ziand

Apr 24, 2008
HTC U12+
Google Pixel 5
thank you very much. I tried and succeeded. my pixel 6 can mute the shutter sound. but after inserting the Japan sim, the sound comes back. so sad. I don't know is there any other solution?
Did you flash Factory Image with erasing data, factory reset ?
The converting is success if you have:
- new Model ID in bootloader - Barcode -SKU;
- new Model ID in Settings - About phone - Regulatory Labels;
- appeared option to switch off the sound in settings of stock Camera app.

Do you have all of them ? Show some pictures.

h281994

Nov 12, 2017
Google Pixel 6
@h281994, are you in Japan ?
I think to necessary to check how is with it on original non-Japanese phone with any sim there ?
Yes i am working in japan, i tried inserting softbank sim, sadly the camera sound is back again and the setting to turn off shutter sound is gone.I tried removing the sim and restarting the device ...the setting to turn off camera sound appeared again. very happy

Last edited:

ziand

Apr 24, 2008
HTC U12+
Google Pixel 5
Do you have possibility to insert another sim not softbank and maybe not Japanese carrier at all ? it is interesting how with this sound on other pixels 6 not Japanese versions there in Japan.

HarryShan

Nov 12, 2014
Google Pixel 2 XL
Google Pixel 6
Yes i am working in japan, i tried inserting softbank sim, sadly the camera sound is back again and the setting to turn off shutter sound is gone.I tried removing the sim and restarting the device ...the setting to turn off camera sound appeared again. very happy
This is known issue as even global Pixel do have forced shutter and screenshot sound when a Japanese carrier SIM is inserted, no matter where you use it. In this case MID changing method can't help you.

The module from the other thread may work though as it's directly modifying system UI APK:
Downside would be you'll always need Magisk installed. You can have a try.

Reactions: h281994 and ziand

khoanx

Dec 5, 2021
Model IDs:

Prerequisites
Downloads
Installation instruction
Running instruction

Code:
adb shell
su
MID_Changer.sh

Example image:
View attachment 5471525
Code:
adb shell
su -c MID_Changer.sh
Code:
su
MID_Changer.sh

Recommendations

Code:
fastboot flashing lock
I can't use this module for my Pixel 6 pro Japan. How can I use .
Thank you!

Attachments

• 263403553_3121402571465203_1243779828470733338_n.png
    263403553_3121402571465203_1243779828470733338_n.png
    25.3 KB · Views: 111

ziand

Apr 24, 2008
HTC U12+
Google Pixel 5
I can't use this module for my Pixel 6 pro Japan. How can I use .
Thank you!
Of course, because Pixel 6 and Pixel 6 pro are different devices.
Pixel 6 is Product ID "oriole" and Pixel 6 pro Product ID "raven". For now the module v2.05 and less is for Pixel 6 only.

Send me to PM some info from your device to upgrade this for Pixel 6 pro too. No problem, I will add everything into the script for converting.

khoanx

Dec 5, 2021
I use HarryShan's guide. And change GF5KQ to GLU0G for my Pixel 6 Pro. It worked. My phone don't have sound when capture sceen and take photo.
Thank you.

rorschach76

Jan 6, 2012
This is known issue as even global Pixel do have forced shutter and screenshot sound when a Japanese carrier SIM is inserted, no matter where you use it. In this case MID changing method can't help you.

The module from the other thread may work though as it's directly modifying system UI APK:
You can also use a gcam mod camera for silent shutter . There used to be a workaround for the silent camera by simswapping in Japan but it was removed or patched in android 12. A Japanese sim will always enable sounds

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You need to unlock bootloader to do this
    What I'm asking is, are all Japanese Pixel 6s unlockable? USA Verizon models aren't, and I heard Softbank's ones in Japan aren't either. They have OEM Unlocking greyed out.
    I live in a country with no Pixel availability and end up purchasing one in Japan.

Limitations(mostly forced shutter and screenshot sound) on Japan phones can be pretty annoying, so I researched a bit on how to remove those.

Search leads me to this reply by @ziand for same trick but on Pixel 5. Turns out Pixel 6 is different but similar. So I'll summarize what I've done here.

Disclaimer
    I'm not familiar with law in every country but doing this could have risk. Research before acting.

The instructions requires basic Linux/Android knowledge. You could brick your phone if not knowing what you're doing. You can always wait for ziand's work for more safety.

I confirm this works on my phone. But I'm not responsible for anything happens on yours. Use at your own risk.

1. Root your phone

adb shell
    su
    dd if=/dev/block/by-name/devinfo of=/sdcard/devinfo.img

3. Quit adb shell, then
    adb pull /sdcard/devinfo.img
    Keep this file as backup

4. Use a hex editor, open the "devinfo.img" pulled in step 3, find "GR1YH", it should be in 0x000000F7, edit it to "GB7N6", save as "devinfo_modified.img"
    1637400692450-png.5463603

adb push ./devinfo_modified.img /sdcard/
    adb shell
    su
    dd if=/sdcard/devinfo_modified.img of=/dev/block/by-name/devinfo

6. Reboot and enjoy
    This should be permanent, you can also revert root if you want.

Model IDs:

Prerequisites
    Downloads
    (this version is for Pixel 6 pro too)​

Installation instruction
    Running instruction

Code:
    adb shell
    su
    MID_Changer.sh

Example image:
    Screenshot_02.png

Code:
    adb shell
    su -c MID_Changer.sh
    Code:
    su
    MID_Changer.sh

Recommendations

Code:
    fastboot flashing lock
    Did you flash Factory Image with erasing data, factory reset ?
    The converting is success if you have:
    - new Model ID in bootloader - Barcode -SKU;
    - new Model ID in Settings - About phone - Regulatory Labels;
    - appeared option to switch off the sound in settings of stock Camera app.

Do you have all of them ? Show some pictures.
    Screenshot_20211203-070855.png
    Screenshot_20211203-070806.png
    You need to unlock bootloader to do this
    What I'm asking is, are all Japanese Pixel 6s unlockable? USA Verizon models aren't, and I heard Softbank's ones in Japan aren't either. They have OEM Unlocking greyed out.