• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

How To Guide Converting Japanese Pixel 6 to Global version

Search This thread

rorschach76

Jan 6, 2012
Yes i am working in japan, i tried inserting softbank sim, sadly the camera sound is back again and the setting to turn off shutter sound is gone.I tried removing the sim and restarting the device ...the setting to turn off camera sound appeared again. very happy
Does your suica /osaifu keitai still work after changing the model ID and rooting?

H88MySoul

Dec 11, 2021
I have 2 questuions

1) Will I be able to update Pixel 6 system after converting from jap to global without camera sound coming back and without other problems?
2) Is there any kind of issues one can face after converting? Like people above talking about banking being disabled after converting - is that a thing or I just misunderstood something?

flarb

Dec 23, 2021
Banking and cards includes the osaifu keitei/felica chips working again? My worry was that osaifu keitei does a validation check against the model id
I just tried this and
  1. It worked perfectly. I was able to re-lock the bootloader and wipe the device while reflashing and the model number is updated as expected on the regulatory screen
  2. All my banking apps are working perfectly (i'm no longer rooted or bootloader unlocked)
  3. I can still read my felica-based cards (i'm in hong kong and these are called octopus here).
    1. I have NOT tried using the phone to act as an octopus card - this is something I was not set up for even before trying this because it requires a special sim card with a built-in felica card

kaloskagatos

Sep 20, 2010
Here is below a script to convert the device to another version.
About versions of Google Pixel 6, Product ID oriole :
Model IDs:
G9S9B - Verizon and AT&T US carriers
GB7N6 - US Unlocked, US Google Fi, US TMO, Canada, Taiwan, Australia, Europe countries and carriers
GR1YH - Japan and carriers

Script for changing Model ID on Pixel 6
Prerequisites
  • Your phone has to be rooted
Downloads
(this version is for Pixel 6 pro too)​

Installation instruction
  • Download and install Magisk module above.
Running instruction

• Variant 1 with commands from PC:
Code:
adb shell
su
MID_Changer.sh

Example image:
View attachment 5471525
Shorter Variant 1 with commands for PC:
Code:
adb shell
su -c MID_Changer.sh
  • Variant 2 with commands without PC.
Also you can use for example Android Terminal Emulator with commands:
Code:
su
MID_Changer.sh

• To apple changing, flash global Factory Image with erasing data.

Recommendations

If someone wouldn't like to use root in the future, he can lock bootloader by the command at bootloader mode:
Code:
fastboot flashing lock
or use parameter "Lock bootloader" at flashing Factory Image via Android Flash Tool.

Hi, could you provide a script for Pixel 5a ? There is a Japan version (G4S1M) and a US version (G1F8F). https://support.google.com/pixelphone/answer/10082009

Will it work if I update the script with only :

MID_barbet=(G1F8F G4S1M) and

Code:
case "$PID" in
  "redfin" )
    work_MID="${MID_redfin[@]}";
    s_MID="422"; c_MID="5"; Part_name="cdt";
    C_HW=$(dd if=/dev/block/by-name/cdt bs=1 skip=501 count=3) 2>/dev/null;
    echo "Hardware: ${C_HW}";
  ;;
  "barbet" )
    work_MID="${MID_barbet[@]}";
    s_MID="422"; c_MID="5"; Part_name="cdt";
    C_HW=$(dd if=/dev/block/by-name/cdt bs=1 skip=501 count=3) 2>/dev/null;
    echo "Hardware: ${C_HW}";
  ;;

Will it work ? I imported a Pixel 5a from Japan to France but I didn't know about this shutter sound...

Thanks in advance !

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2014
So dumb question, Does this entire guide Imply that the Japanese Pixel 6 "GR1YH" is always Bootloader Unlockable? Is there any kind of carrier locking going on there? I'm in a similar situation as yours and might need to get a Japanese Pixel 6, anything I need to look out for?

Last edited:

naikkx

Jan 7, 2022
No, I do not have any reason to do it especially when I am not going to use this phone.
And as far as I can guess, it won't help to Pixel 5a at all because versions of this device have different hardware.
I understand if you do not wish to do this, but is there any way it may be possible? As far as I am aware, the pixel 5 also has a separate Japan, and ROW version, which can be changed with your script, so I would assume the 5a Japan version could also be changed to a US version in a similar way. How would I go about doing this?

ziand

Apr 24, 2008
HTC U12+
Google Pixel 5
is there any way it may be possible?
Yes, by replacing Japanese motherboard with US one in your phone.
the pixel 5 also has a separate Japan, and ROW version, which can be changed with your script
Yes. Both ones, Japanese and European versions of P5, have the same hardware - ROW. That is why it is possible to convert them to each other.

As for P5a, look at the bootloader mode: US version has hardware NA (North America) and Japanese one has JP (Japan).

naikkx

Jan 7, 2022
Yes, by replacing Japanese motherboard with US one in your phone.

Yes. Both ones, Japanese and European versions of P5, have the same hardware - ROW. That is why it is possible to convert them to each other.

As for P5a, look at the bootloader mode: US version has hardware NA (North America) and Japanese one has JP (Japan).
Alright, thank you. If there's nothing that can be done, I guess it is what it is. Thanks for your reply

fida992

Mar 6, 2014
Guys I have multiple questions i will really appreciate if you could answer them:
Will i be able to get system updates after unrooting and relocking the bootloader?
Does root leave permanent impact like it does in Samsung devices (disabling knox)?

I do live in Japan.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You need to unlock bootloader to do this
    What I'm asking is, are all Japanese Pixel 6s unlockable? USA Verizon models aren't, and I heard Softbank's ones in Japan aren't either. They have OEM Unlocking greyed out.
    I live in a country with no Pixel availability and end up purchasing one in Japan.

Limitations(mostly forced shutter and screenshot sound) on Japan phones can be pretty annoying, so I researched a bit on how to remove those.

Search leads me to this reply by @ziand for same trick but on Pixel 5. Turns out Pixel 6 is different but similar. So I'll summarize what I've done here.
    At the same time @ziand may also work on a magisk module or something when possible, doing the same thing but in a much safer way. Once his work is done please switch to his method.

Disclaimer
    I'm not familiar with law in every country but doing this could have risk. Research before acting.

The instructions requires basic Linux/Android knowledge. You could brick your phone if not knowing what you're doing. You can always wait for ziand's work for more safety.

I confirm this works on my phone. But I'm not responsible for anything happens on yours. Use at your own risk.

1. Root your phone

adb shell
    su
    dd if=/dev/block/by-name/devinfo of=/sdcard/devinfo.img

3. Quit adb shell, then
    adb pull /sdcard/devinfo.img
    Keep this file as backup

4. Use a hex editor, open the "devinfo.img" pulled in step 3, find "GR1YH", it should be in 0x000000F7, edit it to "GB7N6", save as "devinfo_modified.img"
    1637400692450-png.5463603

adb push ./devinfo_modified.img /sdcard/
    adb shell
    su
    dd if=/sdcard/devinfo_modified.img of=/dev/block/by-name/devinfo

6. Reboot and enjoy
    This should be permanent, you can also revert root if you want.
    Yes i am working in japan, i tried inserting softbank sim, sadly the camera sound is back again and the setting to turn off shutter sound is gone.I tried removing the sim and restarting the device ...the setting to turn off camera sound appeared again. very happy
    This is known issue as even global Pixel do have forced shutter and screenshot sound when a Japanese carrier SIM is inserted, no matter where you use it. In this case MID changing method can't help you.

The module from the other thread may work though as it's directly modifying system UI APK:
    Downside would be you'll always need Magisk installed. You can have a try.
    At the same time @ziand may also work on a magisk module or something when possible, doing the same thing but in a much safer way. Once his work is done please switch to his method.
    Here is below a script to convert the device to another version.
    About versions of Google Pixel 6, Product ID oriole :
    Model IDs:
    G9S9B - Verizon and AT&T US carriers
    GB7N6 - US Unlocked, US Google Fi, US TMO, Canada, Taiwan, Australia, Europe countries and carriers
    GR1YH - Japan and carriers

Script for changing Model ID on Pixel 6
    Prerequisites
    • Your phone has to be rooted
    Downloads
    (this version is for Pixel 6 pro too)​

Installation instruction
    • Download and install Magisk module above.
    Running instruction

• Variant 1 with commands from PC:
    Code:
    adb shell
    su
    MID_Changer.sh

Example image:
    Screenshot_02.png

Shorter Variant 1 with commands for PC:
    Code:
    adb shell
    su -c MID_Changer.sh
    • Variant 2 with commands without PC.
    Also you can use for example Android Terminal Emulator with commands:
    Code:
    su
    MID_Changer.sh

• To apple changing, flash global Factory Image with erasing data.

Recommendations

If someone wouldn't like to use root in the future, he can lock bootloader by the command at bootloader mode:
    Code:
    fastboot flashing lock
    or use parameter "Lock bootloader" at flashing Factory Image via Android Flash Tool.
    Did you flash Factory Image with erasing data, factory reset ?
    The converting is success if you have:
    - new Model ID in bootloader - Barcode -SKU;
    - new Model ID in Settings - About phone - Regulatory Labels;
    - appeared option to switch off the sound in settings of stock Camera app.

Do you have all of them ? Show some pictures.
    Screenshot_20211203-070855.png
    Screenshot_20211203-070806.png
    You need to unlock bootloader to do this
    What I'm asking is, are all Japanese Pixel 6s unlockable? USA Verizon models aren't, and I heard Softbank's ones in Japan aren't either. They have OEM Unlocking greyed out.