How To Guide Converting Japanese Pixel 6 to Global version

Search This thread

Trafford Devil

Jan 22, 2012
I wonder if this will work in reverse, i.e. can I convert from US to Japan? Mainly asking if the disabled NFC-F Felica chip in the US Pixel 6 will be enabled if I change the version to Japan.

amders

Oct 6, 2007
Jakarta - Indonesia
Here is below a script to convert the device to another version.
About versions of Google Pixel 6, Product ID oriole :
Model IDs:
G9S9B - Verizon and AT&T US carriers
GB7N6 - US Unlocked, US Google Fi, US TMO, Canada, Taiwan, Australia, Europe countries and carriers
GR1YH - Japan and carriers

Script for changing Model ID on Pixel 6
Prerequisites
  • Your phone has to be rooted
Downloads
(this version is for Pixel 6 pro too)​

Installation instruction
  • Download and install Magisk module above.
Running instruction

• Variant 1 with commands from PC:
Code:
adb shell
su
MID_Changer.sh

Example image:
View attachment 5471525
Shorter Variant 1 with commands for PC:
Code:
adb shell
su -c MID_Changer.sh
  • Variant 2 with commands without PC.
Also you can use for example Android Terminal Emulator with commands:
Code:
su
MID_Changer.sh

• To apple changing, flash global Factory Image with erasing data.

Recommendations

If someone wouldn't like to use root in the future, he can lock bootloader by the command at bootloader mode:
Code:
fastboot flashing lock
or use parameter "Lock bootloader" at flashing Factory Image via Android Flash Tool.
hello, i want ask you, my pixel 6 pro is japan version, i flash it to global version, succeed..

but when i flash back to japan version, using the first method it succeed but the regulatory label still global...

check on bootloader barcode succeed changed to japan version..

fyi: when first i convert from japan to global, i didnt flash any rom, just after the script finished reboot.. and succeed... the regulatory label become global one..

and now i want going back to original version (japan) only inthe regulatory label stuck on global version...

also, when i convert jpn -> global i was on may update, and when i convert back still on may update...

ziand

Apr 24, 2008
HTC U12+
Google Pixel 5
fyi: when first i convert from japan to global, i didnt flash any rom, just after the script finished reboot.. and succeed... the regulatory label become global one..

and now i want going back to original version (japan) only inthe regulatory label stuck on global version...
Hi
Look at the guide.
You have to flash Factory Image for appearing the new label.

Daniyal48

Jun 1, 2019
Can someone help me in converting Pixel 3 XL (G013D) to Global (G013C). I extracted devinfo.img but it has only one string and the rest of the file is empty. The string is "Android Boot!". I extracted cdt.img and it do have the model number G013D.

Nov 2, 2014
Thank you, works perfectly with my phone. I use magisk, if I lock the bootloader, will the changes be kept?

snake218

Nov 1, 2012
I have 2 questuions

1) Will I be able to update Pixel 6 system after converting from jap to global without camera sound coming back and without other problems?
2) Is there any kind of issues one can face after converting? Like people above talking about banking being disabled after converting - is that a thing or I just misunderstood something?
Hi, did the process of un-root, update and re root, works for you with this modification? Thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I live in a country with no Pixel availability and end up purchasing one in Japan.

Limitations(mostly forced shutter and screenshot sound) on Japan phones can be pretty annoying, so I researched a bit on how to remove those.

Search leads me to this reply by @ziand for same trick but on Pixel 5. Turns out Pixel 6 is different but similar. So I'll summarize what I've done here.
    At the same time @ziand may also work on a magisk module or something when possible, doing the same thing but in a much safer way. Once his work is done please switch to his method.

Disclaimer
    I'm not familiar with law in every country but doing this could have risk. Research before acting.

The instructions requires basic Linux/Android knowledge. You could brick your phone if not knowing what you're doing. You can always wait for ziand's work for more safety.

I confirm this works on my phone. But I'm not responsible for anything happens on yours. Use at your own risk.

1. Root your phone

adb shell
    su
    dd if=/dev/block/by-name/devinfo of=/sdcard/devinfo.img

3. Quit adb shell, then
    adb pull /sdcard/devinfo.img
    Keep this file as backup

4. Use a hex editor, open the "devinfo.img" pulled in step 3, find "GR1YH", it should be in 0x000000F7, edit it to "GB7N6", save as "devinfo_modified.img"
    1637400692450-png.5463603

adb push ./devinfo_modified.img /sdcard/
    adb shell
    su
    dd if=/sdcard/devinfo_modified.img of=/dev/block/by-name/devinfo

6. Reboot and enjoy
    This should be permanent, you can also revert root if you want.
    At the same time @ziand may also work on a magisk module or something when possible, doing the same thing but in a much safer way. Once his work is done please switch to his method.
    Here is below a script to convert the device to another version.
    About versions of Google Pixel 6, Product ID oriole :
    Model IDs:
    G9S9B - Verizon and AT&T US carriers
    GB7N6 - US Unlocked, US Google Fi, US TMO, Canada, Taiwan, Australia, Europe countries and carriers
    GR1YH - Japan and carriers

Script for changing Model ID on Pixel 6
    Prerequisites
    • Your phone has to be rooted
    Downloads
    (this version is for Pixel 6 pro too)​

Installation instruction
    • Download and install Magisk module above.
    Running instruction

• Variant 1 with commands from PC:
    Code:
    adb shell
    su
    MID_Changer.sh

Example image:
    Screenshot_02.png

Shorter Variant 1 with commands for PC:
    Code:
    adb shell
    su -c MID_Changer.sh
    • Variant 2 with commands without PC.
    Also you can use for example Android Terminal Emulator with commands:
    Code:
    su
    MID_Changer.sh

• To apple changing, flash global Factory Image with erasing data.

Recommendations

If someone wouldn't like to use root in the future, he can lock bootloader by the command at bootloader mode:
    Code:
    fastboot flashing lock
    or use parameter "Lock bootloader" at flashing Factory Image via Android Flash Tool.
    Yes i am working in japan, i tried inserting softbank sim, sadly the camera sound is back again and the setting to turn off shutter sound is gone.I tried removing the sim and restarting the device ...the setting to turn off camera sound appeared again. very happy
    This is known issue as even global Pixel do have forced shutter and screenshot sound when a Japanese carrier SIM is inserted, no matter where you use it. In this case MID changing method can't help you.

The module from the other thread may work though as it's directly modifying system UI APK:
    Downside would be you'll always need Magisk installed. You can have a try.
    Did you flash Factory Image with erasing data, factory reset ?
    The converting is success if you have:
    - new Model ID in bootloader - Barcode -SKU;
    - new Model ID in Settings - About phone - Regulatory Labels;
    - appeared option to switch off the sound in settings of stock Camera app.

Do you have all of them ? Show some pictures.
    Screenshot_20211203-070855.png
    Screenshot_20211203-070806.png
    You need to unlock bootloader to do this
    What I'm asking is, are all Japanese Pixel 6s unlockable? USA Verizon models aren't, and I heard Softbank's ones in Japan aren't either. They have OEM Unlocking greyed out.