How To Guide Converting Japanese Pixel 6 to Global version

Search This thread

WarHeadXD

Jan 12, 2019
Of course, because Pixel 6 and Pixel 6 pro are different devices.
Pixel 6 is Product ID "oriole" and Pixel 6 pro Product ID "raven". For now the module v2.05 and less is for Pixel 6 only.

Send me to PM some info from your device to upgrade this for Pixel 6 pro too. No problem, I will add everything into the script for convertin
Of course, because Pixel 6 and Pixel 6 pro are different devices.
Pixel 6 is Product ID "oriole" and Pixel 6 pro Product ID "raven". For now the module v2.05 and less is for Pixel 6 only.

Send me to PM some info from your device to upgrade this for Pixel 6 pro too. No problem, I will add everything into the script for converting.
Sir, can you add a script for pixel 3a xl? pls

paoj

Jan 31, 2022
Hi there, gave this a try on my Pixel 6 Pro. I got as far as MID_Changer.sh and then I get an "Unknown Model ID. Exit" error. Any thoughts on what could be causing that?

raven.jpg

Edit: I was able to make it work using the first method.

Thank you!

Last edited:

ziand

Apr 24, 2008
HTC U12+
Google Pixel 5
Hi there, gave this a try on my Pixel 6 Pro. I got as far as MID_Changer.sh and then I get an "Unknown Model ID. Exit" error. Any thoughts on what could be causing that?

View attachment 5524731

Edit: I was able to make it work using the first method.

Thank you!
Because you used incorrect commands, read carefully manual for using the script on 1-st page. Must be with Super User permission:
raven:/ $ su
raven:/ # MID_Changer.sh

regalstreak

Jun 26, 2013
Mumbai
Got my model id changed to the US version from Japanese, camera sounds still there and there's no option to shut them. Indian sim (Vi)
Regulatory info shows GB7N6

blood_talon

Mar 20, 2009
I have a Japanese pixel 5a and tried to adapt the update-binary from MID_Changer_v1.02-TWRP.zip by adding MID_barbet with G1F8F, G4S1M SKU.
But I think I screwed up my cdt file by doing so as offset appear different from pixel 5. The script itself doesnt take any backup. At least, my device is not bricked but when checking the Regulatory Labels, I get nothing apart from the title.
Could someone share his cdt file in private with me so I can try to revert back to original? At least, I would like to know the sections 0x1a0 to 0x200, which should correspond to psn, bootmode, pcbcfg,sku in reverse order. That should not contain personal information such as IMEI, MAC address, etc. Thanks!

Last edited:

wertykido

Feb 21, 2022
Hey guys,

I am new to this.

After converting with root, would it be possible to retain the conversion by removing the root and also bootloader locking it?

Thank you.

blood_talon

Mar 20, 2009
Hey guys,

I am new to this.

After converting with root, would it be possible to retain the conversion by removing the root and also bootloader locking it?

Thank you.
Yes, it should be possible as the change made is on the /dev partition and will remain even if you unroot. You can unroot by simply uninstalling Magisk and re-lock the bootloader if needed.

blood_talon

Mar 20, 2009
I have a Japanese pixel 5a and tried to adapt the update-binary from MID_Changer_v1.02-TWRP.zip by adding MID_barbet with G1F8F, G4S1M SKU.
But I think I screwed up my cdt file by doing so as offset appear different from pixel 5. The script itself doesnt take any backup. At least, my device is not bricked but when checking the Regulatory Labels, I get nothing apart from the title.
Could someone share his cdt file in private with me so I can try to revert back to original? At least, I would like to know the sections 0x1a0 to 0x200, which should correspond to psn, bootmode, pcbcfg,sku in reverse order. That should not contain personal information such as IMEI, MAC address, etc. Thanks!
This is my Pixel 5a cdt dump after modification. I just masked my personal information and just put IMEI, MAC ADDRESS, etc instead. However, I think the SKU offsets are different between Pixel 5 and 5a so the update_binary script screwed up my cdt file. Where I have put the arrows is where the changes were made by the script and also manuallly.

If someone has a rooted Japanese Pixel 5a and could confirm the parts highlighted in red so that I could try to revert back to original. File location: /dev/block/by-name/cdt

Attachments

• cdt.png
    cdt.png
    110.7 KB · Views: 167

ziand

Apr 24, 2008
HTC U12+
Google Pixel 5

blood_talon,​

I haven't to answer because you didn't ask me and I don't like when someone change my scripts without necessity especially when I explained above that any converting won't help for your devise due to HW.
So, I have no idea how much you changed my script but any my scripts always save the original partition image to /persist before converting. Look at there..

blood_talon

Mar 20, 2009

blood_talon,​

I haven't to answer because you didn't ask me and I don't like when someone change my scripts without necessity especially when I explained above that any converting won't help for your devise due to HW.
So, I have no idea how much you changed my script but any my scripts always save the original partition image to /persist before converting. Look at there..
Well, I thought it would be easy just to add the barbet model and related SKU. My phone was not rooted at that time so I couldn't check the original cdt file and take a backup. It was a bad lesson for me, I guess. Anyway, I did check the /persist partition but couldn't find it. Is it part of the original file system? I have unrooted my phone for now and using modded gcam app.

EDIT: looking at your script around /persist partition. I have mounted it but couldnt find any backup. Here is the listing:

barbet:/persist # ls -l
total 132
drwxrwx--- 2 media audio 4096 2021-04-20 02:09 audio
drwx------ 2 system system 4096 1970-01-01 09:00 battery
drwxrwx--x 4 system system 4096 2021-09-22 15:54 camera
drwxr-xr-x 2 overflowuid overflowuid 4096 2021-04-20 01:32 coresight
drwx------ 6 system system 4096 2021-09-23 23:10 data
drwxrwx--- 2 system graphics 4096 2021-09-22 16:37 display
drwxrwx--- 2 system system 4096 2021-09-22 17:18 haptics
drwxrwx--- 3 vendor_rfs vendor_rfs_shared 4096 1970-01-01 09:00 hlos_rfs
drwxrwx--- 2 root system 4096 1970-01-01 09:00 hvdcp_opti
drwx------ 2 root root 16384 2021-04-20 02:12 lost+found
drwxrwx--- 2 system system 4096 1970-01-01 09:00 oslo
drwxrwx--- 6 vendor_rfs vendor_rfs 4096 1970-01-01 09:00 rfs
drwxrwxr-x 3 system system 4096 2021-09-22 16:39 sensors
drwxrwx--- 2 system system 4096 2022-02-16 10:51 time
drwxrwx--- 2 system system 4096 1970-01-01 09:00 touch
barbet:/persist #

Last edited:

Noeltoh98

May 1, 2018
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but what happens if I do not flash the global factory image onto the Pixel 6 after installing the MID_changer module?

After following all the steps except for the global factory image flash, I restarted my Pixel 6 and went into the camera app. Now I can disable the camera sounds, and the MID in the bootloader and in the settings are correct as well.

AlahmadPR

Feb 10, 2019
I've japanese variant but it's bootloader in not unlockable. What's solution?

Attachments

• IMG-20220422-WA0291.jpg
    IMG-20220422-WA0291.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 219
  • IMG-20220422-WA0292.jpg
    IMG-20220422-WA0292.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 222

ThePhenomenalOne1

Apr 12, 2013
Even if we are able to change to the Global version if you got a SIM card from Indian&Japan the shutter sound option will not appear right?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I live in a country with no Pixel availability and end up purchasing one in Japan.

Limitations(mostly forced shutter and screenshot sound) on Japan phones can be pretty annoying, so I researched a bit on how to remove those.

Search leads me to this reply by @ziand for same trick but on Pixel 5. Turns out Pixel 6 is different but similar. So I'll summarize what I've done here.
    At the same time @ziand may also work on a magisk module or something when possible, doing the same thing but in a much safer way. Once his work is done please switch to his method.

Disclaimer
    I'm not familiar with law in every country but doing this could have risk. Research before acting.

The instructions requires basic Linux/Android knowledge. You could brick your phone if not knowing what you're doing. You can always wait for ziand's work for more safety.

I confirm this works on my phone. But I'm not responsible for anything happens on yours. Use at your own risk.

1. Root your phone

adb shell
    su
    dd if=/dev/block/by-name/devinfo of=/sdcard/devinfo.img

3. Quit adb shell, then
    adb pull /sdcard/devinfo.img
    Keep this file as backup

4. Use a hex editor, open the "devinfo.img" pulled in step 3, find "GR1YH", it should be in 0x000000F7, edit it to "GB7N6", save as "devinfo_modified.img"
    1637400692450-png.5463603

adb push ./devinfo_modified.img /sdcard/
    adb shell
    su
    dd if=/sdcard/devinfo_modified.img of=/dev/block/by-name/devinfo

6. Reboot and enjoy
    This should be permanent, you can also revert root if you want.
    At the same time @ziand may also work on a magisk module or something when possible, doing the same thing but in a much safer way. Once his work is done please switch to his method.
    Here is below a script to convert the device to another version.
    About versions of Google Pixel 6, Product ID oriole :
    Model IDs:
    G9S9B - Verizon and AT&T US carriers
    GB7N6 - US Unlocked, US Google Fi, US TMO, Canada, Taiwan, Australia, Europe countries and carriers
    GR1YH - Japan and carriers

Script for changing Model ID
    for devices: Google Pixel 5, 6/pro, 6a, 7/pro
    Prerequisites
    • TWRP or Magisk 20.4+
    Downloads
    Change log
    -v2.10 : Pixel 7 added
    - v2.09 : Pixel 7pro added
    - v2.08 : Pixel 6a added

Example running image:

Screenshot_2022-11-27-16-21-56.pngScreenshot_20221128-011610.png
    Yes i am working in japan, i tried inserting softbank sim, sadly the camera sound is back again and the setting to turn off shutter sound is gone.I tried removing the sim and restarting the device ...the setting to turn off camera sound appeared again. very happy
    This is known issue as even global Pixel do have forced shutter and screenshot sound when a Japanese carrier SIM is inserted, no matter where you use it. In this case MID changing method can't help you.

The module from the other thread may work though as it's directly modifying system UI APK:
    Downside would be you'll always need Magisk installed. You can have a try.
    I convert to GE2AE from GFE4J. Anyway why you want to change your SKU to Japan?
    For adding Mobile Suica to my P7P, and I just modified the SKU of it then flashed it back to stock firmware.

Successfully got the Mobile Suica.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

*To jj4156 / jaselee, this show is for you.

我就知道你會特地跟蹤到這裡來, 要不然我怎會故意用一樣的圖像註冊這個帳號, “個人的小試驗” 不是指對手機的試驗,是試驗你網路騷擾的行為能多離譜,你要怎樣說怎樣講都隨你, 反正我也不會痛, 你隨意就好

要談刷機, 你以為我不懂嗎? 我真正的xda帳號是 kevin3688, 我從第一代 iPhone 就開始刷, 第一支 T-mobile 的 android 手機我都玩過, 我要怎樣發表我的言論或是更改也是我的自由

你除了靠鍵盤到處去霸凌別人你還會什麼, 你發的文根本沒有內容, 譁眾取寵, 我根本不想理你, 把你封鎖只是剛好而已

ps.只是你好像忘記通知M01, 之前你被停權後復權, 市集的權限沒有同時恢復, 現在依然被限制住, 這是我最後一次回應, Tschüss.
    MID_Changer_v2.09-MAGISK.zip
    Pixel 7pro added and improvements