How To Guide Converting Japanese Pixel 6 to Global version

Search This thread

3688xkevin

Nov 17, 2022
I convert to GE2AE from GFE4J. Anyway why you want to change your SKU to Japan?
For adding Mobile Suica to my P7P, and I just modified the SKU of it then flashed it back to stock firmware.

Successfully got the Mobile Suica.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

*To jj4156 / jaselee, this show is for you.

我就知道你會特地跟蹤到這裡來, 要不然我怎會故意用一樣的圖像註冊這個帳號, “個人的小試驗” 不是指對手機的試驗,是試驗你網路騷擾的行為能多離譜,你要怎樣說怎樣講都隨你, 反正我也不會痛, 你隨意就好

要談刷機, 你以為我不懂嗎? 我真正的xda帳號是 kevin3688, 我從第一代 iPhone 就開始刷, 第一支 T-mobile 的 android 手機我都玩過, 我要怎樣發表我的言論或是更改也是我的自由

你除了靠鍵盤到處去霸凌別人你還會什麼, 你發的文根本沒有內容, 譁眾取寵, 我根本不想理你, 把你封鎖只是剛好而已

ps.只是你好像忘記通知M01, 之前你被停權後復權, 市集的權限沒有同時恢復, 現在依然被限制住, 這是我最後一次回應, Tschüss.

Last edited:

kevin3688

May 28, 2009
Google Pixel 7 Pro
I flashed my Taiwan version Pixel 7 Pro & 6a to JP model, all working fine.
1669543950019 (小).jpg

bboytaione

Oct 5, 2009
Now I am sick and at hospital. I can not add p7 to the script without my laptop.

But if someone need badly, I can do it for exact your device when I have time here. Touch me in PM if you already rooted. Or wait at least a month.

P.S. post will be deleted later.
Wish you a speedy recovery mate !

bboytaione

Oct 5, 2009
So, after going through the thread, the following is still yet to be answered.

1. After making the change from JAP -> Global + locking bootloader and flashing via flash.android, are you able to receive official updates?

2. Random question: will this change possibly benefit any of us by allowing us to use Volte or Vowifi? My JAP Pixel 6a doesn't allow volte/vowifi for whatever reason. I'm wondering if changing the model to global would somehow enable this option.

Anywho, great work @ziand

wlteh

Oct 18, 2010
OnePlus 7T
Google Pixel 7
So, after going through the thread, the following is still yet to be answered.

1. After making the change from JAP -> Global + locking bootloader and flashing via flash.android, are you able to receive official updates?

2. Random question: will this change possibly benefit any of us by allowing us to use Volte or Vowifi? My JAP Pixel 6a doesn't allow volte/vowifi for whatever reason. I'm wondering if changing the model to global would somehow enable this option.

Anywho, great work @ziand

I'm currently using Pixel 7 and have converted the unit from JP to global, thanks to all the wonderful people here.
1. I have no issues with the official updates, just got updated to the official Dec patch.
2. I believe volte/vowifi is carrier dependant (correct me if I'm wrong). Initially I couldn't get volte on my unit but after calling up my carrier and asked them to activate the profile for me, then it works.

Reactions: crazykas

bboytaione

Oct 5, 2009
I'm currently using Pixel 7 and have converted the unit from JP to global, thanks to all the wonderful people here.
1. I have no issues with the official updates, just got updated to the official Dec patch.
2. I believe volte/vowifi is carrier dependant (correct me if I'm wrong). Initially I couldn't get volte on my unit but after calling up my carrier and asked them to activate the profile for me, then it works.
Everything is working well. I was able to update officially too without issues.

Regarding volte, nothing is available. I forced volte/vowifi with a module and it works flawlessly. Wish I didn't have to have root installed to have this available. I know for a fact it's not the carrier because cheap xiaomi phones (chinese versions) get volte and vowifi without having to enable anything

wlteh

Oct 18, 2010
OnePlus 7T
Google Pixel 7
Everything is working well. I was able to update officially too without issues.

Regarding volte, nothing is available. I forced volte/vowifi with a module and it works flawlessly. Wish I didn't have to have root installed to have this available. I know for a fact it's not the carrier because cheap xiaomi phones (chinese versions) get volte and vowifi without having to enable anything

Interesting coz my unit was unrooted and initially volte won't work for me until I called up my carrier to enable it for me (they admitted that they didn't activate it by default). In my country, some carriers already have volte enabled by default and those folks using Pixel 7 had volte straight out of the box.

peixotorms

Apr 24, 2012
On a pixel 6a, I successfully converted to the Global US version and again to EU version and JP version with this script.
Be advised that if you have the Suica APP and add a card to your osaifu keitai, it will work after conversion.

However, you no longer have access to osaifu keitai app (it says that this app has libraries for japanese phones, with only close as an option). That means, if later you go to google wallet and add let's say, a Pasmo card and make it default, it will work and set that card as default, but... if you want to switch back to the suica card as default, it tells you to open the osaifu keitai app, which you cannot do.

If you restore the japanese version, osaifu keitai works again and then you can switch it.
With the international version, osaifu keitai and payments with your mobile suica still work, both train stations and vending machines.

For my case, I don't have a japanese credit card and foreigner cards are not working to topup my suica mobile app, or the pasmo app either, even via google pay... so I will stay on the EU version as I travel a lot and that one gives me better compatibility.

kevin3688

May 28, 2009
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Did you have to flash the Japanese factory image (13.0.0 (TD1A.220804.009.A5, Oct 2022, JP carriers)) after changing to the JP SKU or will the latest January one (13.0.0 (TQ1A.230105.002, Jan 2023)) work? Also same question for OTA images.
I used the Android Flash Tool to flash the latest firmware at that time(13.0.0 (TD1A.221105.001, Nov 2022) after changing the SKU.

All following OTAs installed successfully.

Reactions: TonyLizj

TonyLizj

Apr 1, 2018
OnePlus 2
OnePlus 7T
I flashed my Taiwan version Pixel 7 Pro & 6a to JP model, all working fine. View attachment 5772945
Actually I'm having some issues with Google Pay, the suica mobile app and osaifu-keitai works fine but my Google Pay app keeps reverting to the non-Japanese version of Google Wallet (which doesn't have support for e-cash at all so none of them show up) every time I switch accounts. Not sure if I'm using the wrong version of the app or something. This is pretty off topic from the thread though.

I did write a quick module to enable the shutter sound toggle on the Japanese SKU for the Pixel 7 Pro (but should work on other Pixels as well) which should be easier than converting to the global version altogether if removing the sound is someone's goal.

kevin3688

May 28, 2009
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Actually I'm having some issues with Google Pay, the suica mobile app and osaifu-keitai works fine but my Google Pay app keeps reverting to the non-Japanese version of Google Wallet (which doesn't have support for e-cash at all so none of them show up) every time I switch accounts. Not sure if I'm using the wrong version of the app or something. This is pretty off topic from the thread though.

I did write a quick module to enable the shutter sound toggle on the Japanese SKU for the Pixel 7 Pro (but should work on other Pixels as well) which should be easier than converting to the global version altogether if removing the sound is someone's goal.

When switching accounts(different areas) in Google Pay, the app itself will also change from JP version to international version, that might cause the preblem you have, it's inevitable.

Sometimes it dosen't change back to JP version after switcing, then you'll need a JP sim to do that.

Reactions: TonyLizj

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I live in a country with no Pixel availability and end up purchasing one in Japan.

Limitations(mostly forced shutter and screenshot sound) on Japan phones can be pretty annoying, so I researched a bit on how to remove those.

Search leads me to this reply by @ziand for same trick but on Pixel 5. Turns out Pixel 6 is different but similar. So I'll summarize what I've done here.
    At the same time @ziand may also work on a magisk module or something when possible, doing the same thing but in a much safer way. Once his work is done please switch to his method.

Disclaimer
    I'm not familiar with law in every country but doing this could have risk. Research before acting.

The instructions requires basic Linux/Android knowledge. You could brick your phone if not knowing what you're doing. You can always wait for ziand's work for more safety.

I confirm this works on my phone. But I'm not responsible for anything happens on yours. Use at your own risk.

1. Root your phone

adb shell
    su
    dd if=/dev/block/by-name/devinfo of=/sdcard/devinfo.img

3. Quit adb shell, then
    adb pull /sdcard/devinfo.img
    Keep this file as backup

4. Use a hex editor, open the "devinfo.img" pulled in step 3, find "GR1YH", it should be in 0x000000F7, edit it to "GB7N6", save as "devinfo_modified.img"
    1637400692450-png.5463603

adb push ./devinfo_modified.img /sdcard/
    adb shell
    su
    dd if=/sdcard/devinfo_modified.img of=/dev/block/by-name/devinfo

6. Reboot and enjoy
    This should be permanent, you can also revert root if you want.
    At the same time @ziand may also work on a magisk module or something when possible, doing the same thing but in a much safer way. Once his work is done please switch to his method.
    Here is below a script to convert the device to another version.
    About versions of Google Pixel 6, Product ID oriole :
    Model IDs:
    G9S9B - Verizon and AT&T US carriers
    GB7N6 - US Unlocked, US Google Fi, US TMO, Canada, Taiwan, Australia, Europe countries and carriers
    GR1YH - Japan and carriers

Script for changing Model ID
    for devices: Google Pixel 5, 6/pro, 6a, 7/pro
    Prerequisites
    • TWRP or Magisk 20.4+
    Downloads
    Change log
    -v2.10 : Pixel 7 added
    - v2.09 : Pixel 7pro added
    - v2.08 : Pixel 6a added

Example running image:

Screenshot_2022-11-27-16-21-56.pngScreenshot_20221128-011610.png
    Yes i am working in japan, i tried inserting softbank sim, sadly the camera sound is back again and the setting to turn off shutter sound is gone.I tried removing the sim and restarting the device ...the setting to turn off camera sound appeared again. very happy
    This is known issue as even global Pixel do have forced shutter and screenshot sound when a Japanese carrier SIM is inserted, no matter where you use it. In this case MID changing method can't help you.

The module from the other thread may work though as it's directly modifying system UI APK:
    Downside would be you'll always need Magisk installed. You can have a try.
    I convert to GE2AE from GFE4J. Anyway why you want to change your SKU to Japan?
    For adding Mobile Suica to my P7P, and I just modified the SKU of it then flashed it back to stock firmware.

Successfully got the Mobile Suica.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

*To jj4156 / jaselee, this show is for you.

我就知道你會特地跟蹤到這裡來, 要不然我怎會故意用一樣的圖像註冊這個帳號, “個人的小試驗” 不是指對手機的試驗,是試驗你網路騷擾的行為能多離譜,你要怎樣說怎樣講都隨你, 反正我也不會痛, 你隨意就好

要談刷機, 你以為我不懂嗎? 我真正的xda帳號是 kevin3688, 我從第一代 iPhone 就開始刷, 第一支 T-mobile 的 android 手機我都玩過, 我要怎樣發表我的言論或是更改也是我的自由

你除了靠鍵盤到處去霸凌別人你還會什麼, 你發的文根本沒有內容, 譁眾取寵, 我根本不想理你, 把你封鎖只是剛好而已

ps.只是你好像忘記通知M01, 之前你被停權後復權, 市集的權限沒有同時恢復, 現在依然被限制住, 這是我最後一次回應, Tschüss.
    MID_Changer_v2.09-MAGISK.zip
    Pixel 7pro added and improvements