CORRECT Hardware GPS Fix

Did the hardware fix work for you?

• Total voters
Search This thread

cliffordconradsumner

Aug 13, 2008
Tampa
After doing the hardware fix my GPS completely stopped working :crying:

I was thinking about soldering a very small wire between the two contacts...what do you guys think?

Will it totally not work if it isn't shielded?

I also tried wrapping the contact with a bit of bare wire and frayed it out some and ran that over the top of the contact where it mates with the antenna...no dice of course :(

T313C0mun1s7

Nov 24, 2010
Lake Havasu City, AZ
After doing the hardware fix my GPS completely stopped working :crying:

I was thinking about soldering a very small wire between the two contacts...what do you guys think?

Will it totally not work if it isn't shielded?

I also tried wrapping the contact with a bit of bare wire and frayed it out some and ran that over the top of the contact where it mates with the antenna...no dice of course :(

Skim / Browse deeper into the thread, about 20 pages or so. There are many very detailed posts by myself and others that cover this and other technical things that are going on here. You will find multiple fixes for your issue. If you are really lazy, concentrate on the longer posts.

Duo94

Oct 14, 2011
attachment.php

Hi, I completely removed the plaque. Now I do not know if this motherboard conductive. Now I want to give there tin. However, I do not know if the motherboard conductive

@edit
Or break the sticker on the other side of the case we will lose gps signal? I dont have it.

Last edited:

gilroy_lh

Oct 22, 2012
My phone was manufactured on July 2010, but the GPS is working fine. Just takes some time to lock sometimes. Not sure if I should try this.

Sent from my GT-P7310 using Tapatalk 2

cliffordconradsumner

Aug 13, 2008
Tampa
Skim / Browse deeper into the thread, about 20 pages or so. There are many very detailed posts by myself and others that cover this and other technical things that are going on here. You will find multiple fixes for your issue. If you are really lazy, concentrate on the longer posts.

Thank you sir, I will search for your name specifically :)

Edit: WOW, you have a lot of posts in this thread. I don't suppose you have a keyword I could search for do you? If not I understand...and I promise I'm not lazy, just very busy :)

Last edited:

skier354

Dec 8, 2012
Worked great!

Initially I tried bending the copper contact up but it broke because it is pretty flimsy. Then I did the solder method after the contact broke off and the GPS works great now! I do have to say it didn't work very well on Slim Bean rom but on HellyBean 4.2 it works wonderfully. I can get signal indoors and it locks within about 15 seconds.

siddesu

Mar 26, 2011
Excellent guide, worked well for sc-02b, the japanese version of sgs from docomo. tried it on two phones. worked flawlessy on the second phone, gps fix now acquired in seconds and inside of some buildings.

managed to break the contact on the first one. uncovered a bit of the two tracks it was connected to, soldered a piece of wire to them and to the antenna, and it worked just as well.

fwiw, before i soldered the piece of wire, i tried just lifting the pcb contact and stuffing a little aluminium foil inside to keep it pressed to the antenna. that worked well too, but i like my soldering iron too much...

thanks a bunch, the damned phone should have worked like this when it was new.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Reactions: KWKSLVR

KWKSLVR

Oct 9, 2010
Birmingham, AL
Excellent guide, worked well for sc-02b, the japanese version of sgs from docomo. tried it on two phones. worked flawlessy on the second phone, gps fix now acquired in seconds and inside of some buildings.

managed to break the contact on the first one. uncovered a bit of the two tracks it was connected to, soldered a piece of wire to them and to the antenna, and it worked just as well.

fwiw, before i soldered the piece of wire, i tried just lifting the pcb contact and stuffing a little aluminium foil inside to keep it pressed to the antenna. that worked well too, but i like my soldering iron too much...

thanks a bunch, the damned phone should have worked like this when it was new.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
Sorry I didn't see this sooner. I'm glad to see that there are still people out there benefiting from this. Thanks for posting your experience!

Reactions: siddesu

embedded123

Dec 1, 2010
With the new 4.3 builds GPS works fine (even after ds), better than on Froyo.

I just completed the hardware fix and I notice huge improvement
BUT Waze is struggling to get a lock.

GPS status gets instant lock - 10\10 satellites.
Google Maps locks in 3 seconds.

Waze always losses connection.
I tried to uninstall/install Waze, still no luck.

does anyone know how to solve this issue?

BTW I'm open for new navigation app to check the GPS connection.

10x

selmandeli

Jul 29, 2009
Sofia
I just completed the hardware fix and I notice huge improvement
BUT Waze is struggling to get a lock.

GPS status gets instant lock - 10\10 satellites.
Google Maps locks in 3 seconds.

Waze always losses connection.
I tried to uninstall/install Waze, still no luck.

does anyone know how to solve this issue?

BTW I'm open for new navigation app to check the GPS connection.

10x

Try CoPilot or Syqic. They have free version. I thing iGo MyWay is the best payed navigation app.

embedded123

Dec 1, 2010
I have GPS test and I'm getting instant lock with it.
Waze is doing me some trouble but I can't understand why...

I'm looking for a free navigation app that includes traffic reports.
got any recommendations?

10x

avstdr

Dec 31, 2011
Yekaterinburg
On last 4.3 and 4.4 GPS works without any fixes.
But just one problem - long period between founding satellites and connecting to satellites.
Is someone knows what it depends of?

nexzor

Apr 21, 2012
On last 4.3 and 4.4 GPS works without any fixes.
But just one problem - long period between founding satellites and connecting to satellites.
Is someone knows what it depends of?
In 4.3 pawitp changed the blubbs to a newer Version. With these it was reported that you see more satelites but geht a slower fix. You can allways Extrakt THW blobbs from an cm10.1 build and injekt them or search for a flashable ZIP. It is floating around in one of the original cm threads

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: KWKSLVR

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    First off, I want to say that Plato56 was the first person to try this, and I want to give all credit where credit is due. Several others have applied this method, including myself, with great results. I apologize for not knowing everyone and I apologize if any of this is not clear. Please let me know and I will clarify the best I can and update this original post.

Ok, the other thread found here is close but the wrong contacts are circled. I've uploaded several pics to reference as you read through this post. The first pic has the correct contacts circled. The contacts circled in the other thread are for the cellular radio.

So What's The Deal With The GPS on my SGS!?

Essentially, the problem is two fold.
    Problem #1: Samsung has no clue how to put out decent firmware.
    Problem #2: The copper contact that Samsung chose to connect the GPS Receiver to the GPS Antenna is about the crappiest selection they could have possibly made.

THE PURPOSE OF THIS THREAD IS TO ADDRESS PROBLEM #2. If we address and solve one then we can (hopefully) tackle the other effectively one day. Here is a technical, but relatively easy to understand explanation of why Firmware alone can't fix the GPS problems that plague ALL SGS phones (even if your GPS is "fine" it still has weak SNR Numbers)

Explanation (Courtesy of T313C0mun1s7):

Q) Is it hardware?
    A) It's complicated. We are talking about very high frequency RF here, you gotta understand how electricity acts when you reach these frequencies to fully get this, but I will summarize. At zero hertz or DC current electricity flows through the body or center of the conductor. As long as you have enough conductor to carry the required current you are good. So the type of spring contact they used is fine for DC, in fact I went looking for replacement contacts and the only thing I can find are designed for either battery tabs or for grounding contacts. As you go higher in frequency the AC current of electricity takes on what we call skin effect, it travels as waves around the surface of the conductor. For this reason large diameter, low loss coax usually has a hollow center conductor. It make no difference electrically and makes it more flexible, lighter, and less expensive because it saves copper. Connections have to be solid and shielded because the RF can "leak", noise can be introduced, and the conductor should be tuned to the frequency carried. In short, these spring connectors are about as bad a connection as you could have picked. It is not enough that they touch the pad, you need good solid contact for a good transfer with the skin effect and to minimize loss. It seems that this problem is exasperated by poor contact. This fix it to simply improve the contact by increasing the pressure and hope to minimize the ill effects of this poor choice of contact design. To complicate things there are in fact things that can be done in software to improve the situation - this made trouble shooting harder because people tend to see these things as black and white and therefore either hardware OR software. If you want to know how software can affect this, then you will need to read back through the thread as I have already explained it twice and this answer is already too long.

Q) Should I ever expect a fix?
    A) Read the OP. It was "fixed" (ie they improved the connection, but they did not re-engineer a proper fix) already. It seems if it was made in September there is a good chance it is ok or marginal. If it was made (or possibly re-manufactured?) in October it seems they are at least as good as the fix we are applying in this thread. Either they are using better contacts or they are increasing the angle to apply more pressure.

Q) Will T-mobile replace it?
    A) They recognize the problem. This is what the app Samsung released is for. It resets everything to the stock settings (and nothing else). If you use it and can show unacceptable performance with the GPS (via the measurements the app makes - it is the official guide replacement), then they should replace the phone for you without any fight.

Now that you know why you should consider applying the hardware fix to your SGS, read on to determine if it may actually help your situation. I.E. does your unit's manufacture date and/or modem make this modification worth your time?

Prerequisites (Courtesy of T313C0mun1s7)
    If you don't yet have at least JI6 then you need to be at least at that modem level FIRST. If you are already using the JI6 (or newer) modem and your GPS still sucks AND your phone was manufactured prior to October, then try this. Otherwise don't expect results. To determine your manufacture date, look on the box. If you no longer have the box, then look under the battery. The middle line has the serial number marked with a S/N. To the right of that will be a set of numbers with a period in the middle. It is month and year in European format, so 10.09 would be September of 2010.

To summarize:

* Phone made in October 2010 or after - this should not be needed
    * You have not upgraded to at LEAST JI6 - then do that FIRST

Steps To Apply The Hardware Fix:

NOTE THAT THIS TECHNICALLY VOIDS YOUR WARRANTY especially if you choose the alternate method that involves a soldering iron
    However, there is nothing noted on the phone that says if you remove this or go beyond that your warranty is voided.

Also, as goes without saying, don't blame me if you snap your GPS Antenna Contact off, break your plastics, or lose the ability to procreate!!! ;)

* Turn off your GPS and shut down.

* Remove the back of your SGS and take out your battery, SIM Card and MicroSD Card.

* Remove the 7 screws that hold the back plastics. All you need is a Philips Head screwdriver from any jeweler's kit or glasses repair kit (you can get one from CVS/Wal-Mart, etc). Here is a video that shows you how to open up your phone. Take your time with this. I know it seems unsettling at first, but everything will be OK as long as you take your time and use a little common sense!

Be sure to watch for three small things after you get the back off. If you aren't careful, all three will sprout legs and run away ;):
    1) Volume Rocker
    2) Power Rocker
    3) A little round plastic circle next to the lower right of your SIM Card slot that may fall out

* Refer to the 3rd and 4th pictures I uploaded (courtesy of androidmonkey). These photos depict the CORRECT CONTACT to gently bend up. The 4th photo depicts the position your contact should be in. You'll probably find that yours is laying flatter and thus isn't making contact with the GPS Antenna (which is on the plastic backing that you removed). As I said a second ago, gently bend this contact up. I used a flathead screwdriver from a glasses repair kit. It doesn't take much bend this contact. I started from the side that the fourth photo depicts. After I got the contact up a bit, I moved my screwdriver over 90* where the hump is and pried a little more. That's it! It's really simple. Just don't go happy with your bending. I have no experience replacing a snapped piece of copper so I can't be of any help if you destroy yours.

* Button everything back up. The back plastic will pop back in 10000% easier than it came off. Put the screws back in, pop your SIM and MicroSD back in and your battery. When you boot back up, you might wanna clear your GPS settings just for the heck of it. I did. DO NOT be shocked if it takes a few minutes to get a lock. It's probably the first time your SGS has ever had a real chance at a lock. Subsequent locks (Hot and Cold Start) will be faster.

* Boot up, leave your GPS off. Just because it can't hurt, clear your GPS settings. Here's how:
    1) Download this app http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=775154
    You can find it by searching for "sgstools" in the market. Click on Secret Codes then Lbstestmode. At the bottom you'll see "Delete GPS Data". Just click that!

OR

2) Open your dialer and hit *#*#1472365#*#*
    Click "Delete GPS Data".

* Turn your GPS on. Wait for a lock! If you want to know what's going on, download two apps:
    "GPS Status & Toolbox" by EclipSim
    and
    "GPS Test" by Chartcross Limited

That's it!

ALTERNATE METHOD - ADDING SOLDER TO YOUR GPS CONTACT

*WARNING* As I mentioned earlier IF YOU CHOOSE THIS METHOD THERE IS ZERO CHANCE OF YOUR PHONE REMAINING UNDER WARRANTY *WARNING*

If you feel inclined to modify your phone in a much more permanent way, you can opt to add some solder on top of the contact (no need to bend the contact up, in fact, don't). I attached a zip with some pics that show what two posters, regp and Mannymal did. I've soldered a few things in the past, but I'm by no means an expert. If you choose to do this, a few things to remember.

* First, seriously consider avoiding this if you have no experience with a soldering iron. In what I've seen on a limited base, you'll get minimal SNR gain in return for the effort that goes into this. I can't emphasis this enough.
    * There are probably a 100 tutorials on how to solder floating around on YouTube, watch them (all).
    * The absolute largest diameter solder I would use is .022.
    * Find the smallest tip possible.
    * Heat the CONTACT with your soldering iron, not your solder, or you will create what is called a cold solder joint that will probably lead to your GPS not working at all on down the road. You have to get the contact hot enough to receive the solder, which is touched to the part (in our case, the contact) that you want to apply the solder to.
    * Be careful not to make your solder to high. I suggest looking at the photo that shows the angle of the contact after it's been raised and using that as your benchmark. We want to make contact with the GPS Antenna, not break the thing when we snap the back plastic on. ;)
    * If you end up with two much solder you can either clean the tip of your soldering iron and touch the hot tip to the solder to remove some or you can use an emery board to file it down.
    * Use an small emery board (nail file essentially) to file down and smooth off your joint. I suggest doing this holding the phone upside down so you don't end up with 1000 tiny solder particles floating around your phone.
    * REMEMBER, phones are tiny. These boards are tiny. A soldering iron that is too hot left on ANY board for too long will destroy it. Multiply this rule x10 for delicate parts.

Good luck. ;)

Observable Data Changes
    (Grabbed from this thread after several days of playing with this fix).
    Accuracy: 16-28 feet stationary 38-50 feet moving (moving accuracy has improved and is now on par with stationary numbers since I started running the Stock JL4 Rom)
    Average SNR: 22-35. Obviously you'll always have one or two that are lower and one or two higher. My max I've observed was 42.
    Number of Sats Locked/In View: 8/11 most of the time. Yesterday afternoon I was locked on 10/10 with a 22 foot accuracy inside. I've had 11/14 before as well, just depends on the time of day.
    Cold Start Lock: 30 seconds
    Hot Start Lock: 5-15 seconds

For reference, my Garmin Nuvi is currently connected to 7/10 with a 16-18 foot accuracy and my Vibrant is connected to 7/10 with a 21-25 foot accuracy. (stationary of course)

Unnecessary re-routing: No
    Wandering on Google Nav/Lost Signal with Nav: Very rarely. For me it happens when I lose signal which is only if the phone is resting on my jeans. If it's in my cupholder, center console, hand, etc it's fine. Earlier today I lost signal with it in my cupholder but I was traveling in an area where my Garmin Nuvi only had a connection to 5 satellites.
    My Tracks: No data from me yet

There are some after screen shots in this post.

Other notes: I'm on the road a lot. Today is my first day to really extensively test it. Basically, it's MUCH better. Is it perfect? No, but I will say that unlike these other fixes that involve changes in lbstestmode and reset apps that only last for a couple of hours at best, my GPS performance has been very consistent ever since I adjusted the antenna contact. Is it as good as my old Blackberries with signal strength? No. How does it compare to other Android devices? I have no clue.

What I do know is that it works well enough for me to be comfortable not having to grab my Nuvi everytime I switch vehicles.

Wrap Up
    I hope this works for those of you like me that have tried almost every firmware update, tweak, etc. Between this fix and JL4, all I can say is that this device is probably as near to perfect as it'll ever be. I've been running this fix for well over a week and I've experienced no signs of the modified contact losing it's contact with the antenna.

If You Still Have Problems
    * Even though you used the Samsung GPS Restore App (Found in the market for Vibrant/Captivate only)
    * Even though you deleted GPS Data
    * Even though you have your WiFi Off like Plato56 recommends in this post
    * Even if you tried a full system wipe

Don't panic if you don't have a ton of locks. Like mentioned above, there is still a firmware component to this issue. I see times where mine doesn't want to lock. Usually if I turn GPS off and then turn it back on it runs smoothly from there on out. Depending on where you live, time of day may make a difference. Inevitably, in the afternoons I may only get 6 of 11 locked on. All other times I can get 9-11 of 11 or 11 of 14, etc. Bear with it. This fix is NOT a silver bullet, but give it a day or two of reasonable playing time to determine if it helped.

For example, right now I'm indoors locked on 7/11 with a 21 foot accuracy and SNR's averaging 31. I used to see 0/3 with SNR's averaging 29. That's a definite improvement. If any other Android was in the same position it would probably show 8/11 with a 10 foot accuracy and SNR's averaging over 65.

So take it for what it's worth, but the fix is DEFINITELY worth the effort!

ADDITIONAL TWEAK
    Check out this thread here and read through the OP carefully. A few days ago I flashed "S.gps.zip" and I've had great results with it on Bionix 1.3.1 with the KA7 modem. I didn't see an increase in accuracy, but I did see a HUGE improvement on the speed my GPS locked and the number of birds locked too. I played around with all of the 2.2 modems last night and they all saw improved results.

If you decide to flash one of those zips, I recommend making a Nandroid backup first. In reading through the thread it appears that there are a few people that had their flashes result in broken GPS's. I have no idea why, I'd imagine it's because they didn't clear GPS data and they just think it's broken. I recommend making a backup, shutting off your GPS, booting into CWM, flashing the zip, rebooting, clearing GPS data, turning your GPS on and enjoying locks. And, as always, I recommend using GPS Test by Mike Lockwood to test your GPS every time you make a change.

The Super GPS should work on any ROM on an Vibrant, but it looks like a lot of people have tried it on 2.2 ROMS so be aware that, as always, there's the chance you may brick your device. If it works for you, be sure to thank jellette for his work. As always, I take no responsibility if this messes up your phone. I'm just relaying what worked for me. :)

UPDATE: 7/31/11
    I should have posted this a couple of months ago. I also have a theory about why sometimes this fix fails over time. For example, I run Overstock 2.4.1 and I often flash the S.gps2.zip when I redo my system. It's been a fantastic combo on Bionix 1.3.1, but often, after a few weeks my GPS begins to turn retarded and will eventually no longer lock. In the past I've always believed it's purely because the antenna contacts have started to relax. However, what I've discovered is that when I go back into CWM and reflash my kernel and reflash the GPS zip, everything is happy and perfect again. I'm by no means a hardware genius or a developer. I'm just an average end user that loves to tinker with things and be methodical in testing, but I'm starting to believe that there truly is something going on that corrupts our GPS Drivers over time (in reference back to how we know Samsung screwed the pooch on firmware for the GPS Receiver).

So, that said, before you crack your phone open over and over yanking and bending on contacts, reflash your kernel and the GPS Zip of your choice. And, like I've always said before, if the hardware fix doesn't seem to work for you when it seems to work for others on the same ROM as you, try another kernel, and try it more than once. I still fully believe that every GPS Receiver on every SGS can be made usable. It's not perfect, but it's a strong improvement from not being able to obtain a lock. http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=16026963&postcount=12
    Q&A

This thread is getting long so I am creating this Q&A post to answer many of the most common questions.
    Due credits go to those that originally asked and answered these questions. Obviously this thread is the result of the efforts of many people.

Q) Is it a hardware issue? Why do different ROMs / Modems effect this?

A) It's complicated. We are talking about very high frequency RF here, you gotta understand how electricity acts when you reach these frequencies to fully get this, but I will summarize. At zero hertz or DC current electricity flows through the body or center of the conductor. As long as you have enough conductor to carry the required current you are good. So the type of spring contact they used is fine for DC, in fact I went looking for replacement contacts and the only thing I can find are designed for either battery tabs or for grounding contacts. As you go higher in frequency the AC current of electricity takes on what we call skin effect, it travels as waves around the surface of the conductor. For this reason large diameter, low loss coax usually has a hollow center conductor. It make no difference electrically and makes it more flexible, lighter, and less expensive because it saves copper. Connections have to be solid and shielded because the RF can "leak", noise can be introduced, and the conductor should be tuned to the frequency carried. In short, these spring connectors are about as bad a connection as you could have picked. It is not enough that they touch the pad, you need good solid contact for a good transfer with the skin effect and to minimize loss. It seems that this problem is exasperated by poor contact. This fix it to simply improve the contact by increasing the pressure and hope to minimize the ill effects of this poor choice of contact design. To complicate things there are in fact things that can be done in software to improve the situation - this made trouble shooting harder because people tend to see these things as black and white and therefore either hardware OR software. If you want to know how software can affect this, then you will need to read back through the thread as I have already explained it twice and this answer is already too long.

Q) Should I try this fix?

A) Only if you can not get your phone replaced under warranty. If you can not and meet the prerequisites in the OP, then you are a good candidate.

Q) How do I update to JI6? In the release notes of the Super_IO kernel, it mentions it has the UVJL1 modem. is this more recent than JI6??

A) Yes, JL1 is more recent than JI6. The nomenclature uses lexicograpical unicode values.
    1. Check the first unit. The first unit in JI6 and JL1 are both 'J', so look at the next unit.
    2. 'I' in the former, 'L' in the latter. 'L' comes after 'I' in the alphabet, so it's more recent.
    3. You can stop here, because you've already determined that JL* is more recent than JI*. Any units that come after this are to distinguish within the L- or I-series.

Q) How do I reset the GPS setting?

A) Open your dialer and hit *#*#1472365#*#* or maybe *#3214789650# (I need clarification on these)
    OR
    The Samsung GPS Restore app (APK attached to this post)
    OR
    Since the Feburary 2nd, 2011 Market update you can find it here https://market.android.com/details?id=com.sec.samsung.GpsRestore

Q) Should we assume that any phone manufactured before 10/10 has these problems?

A) No, I would not think so. Something like this is usually a intermittent manufacturing flaw and would not affect everyone or there would be an even larger outrage about it.

Look at it this way. The spring contacts were designed to make contact without too much pressure when the back is properly in place. GOOD engineering would have accounted for slight variations in manufacturing and quality control and would have made the spring contacts overshoot the required distance a little to assure 100% contact in all situations. In this case I think they forgot to account for that and designed them to just touch, invariably some make intermittent contact and some fall just short of good solid contact (there are prior posts about how poor contact can get worse over time due to oxidation and arcing), but at least we have no reports of totally non-working GPS where they would have failed to touch outright. Chances are when October came around one of two things happened.
    They decided to fix the issue and reenginerred the design to make better contact
    The manufacturer ran out of the old contacts the the new shipment just work better

Either way, although this is a common issue, I don't see the evidence that it affected all pre-October phones.

Q) Any hints on how to get the back off after removing the screws? I watched the YouTube video, but I'm not having any luck with my normal sized fingernails.

A) It is very stubborn, the most important tool you have is patience. Just take your time. If you really need more than just you fingers here are some other options.

Set of Safe Open Pry Tools - http://www.repairsuniverse.com/prytools.html
    Thinner than credit card type cards such as a Bi-Mart membership card, plastic business cards that are 1/2 thickness of a credit card, laminated ID badge, old Subway rewards card.
    Guitar Pick
    The plastic from a clear "clam shell" type package that everything seems to come in now. You know, the ones that seem impossible to open.

Q) CRAP!!! I BROKE MY TAB (This question covers Soldering)

A) Relax, take three deep breaths, all is not lost.

What you want to do is replace the tab with a small mound of solder to bridge the space between the boards and create a contact so the two pads touch. You want a decent amount of surface to touch and you want it flat for the best contact. You need the mound smooth and round because you are working with high frequency signals. Follow the instructions below carefully. If you need more details they are in this thread.

1) If you are experienced in soldering most will be second nature to you except for the fact that you are not actually soldering anything to anything, you are just making a mound on a pad. If you are not experienced then the first step is to WATCH THESE VIDEOS (A) and (B) then PRACTICE until you are proficient in the basics of heating, soldering, and removing the iron cleanly leaving a good joint.
    2) Read this comic book (trust me) --> http://mightyohm.com/files/soldercomic/FullSolderComic_20110409.pdf
    3) Now if you are confident that you are ready to actually touch a hot soldering iron to the inside of your phone lets continue.
    1. De-solder the old broken contact from the pad using the soldering iron and either some wick or a solder-sucker (you can also use a cheap rubber bulb, but they rarely work well)
    2. Use the soldering iron and wick or solder-sucker to remove any remaining solder from the pad. It can still be silver, but should be flat.
    3. Realizing that you will remove a little solder with the iron when you pull it away, make a small, smooth, shiny, and round mound of solder on the lower pad just a little taller then you need for good contact.
    4. It is important in this step to not leave any metal filing behind on the board or it might short something out. So do this step holding the phone upside-down so they fall away. File the top of the mound with an emery board so you have a flat spot parallel with the pad. Don't file too much at first.
    5. Check the height of the mound by puting the top board back on. If needed file a little more and recheck. Go slow, don't try to take too much off at once. When the hight is right it should just barely be too tall. You want good solid contact, but you do not want the board to be stressed or bend.
    6. If all looks good check again for hidden shavings and blow it off real good just to make sure.
    7. If you mess up at any point just de-solder the pad and try again.

Q) What are people's setting in LBSTestMode?

A) Factory Defaults - an earlier question covered how to get back there

Q) Will this work with the GT-I9000 or the Captivate?

A) Most likely, yes. We have even had some people with those phones report back with positive results.

Q) I did this hardware fix, but I am still losing locks. Now what?

A) Here is what the OFA (Original Fix Artist) Plato56 has to say:

1. Before anything else, make shure your WiFI radio is OFF. I dont mean not connected, I don't mean out of range, I mean hardware swiched off threw your settings or via the drop down status bar.

2. Use the Samsung GPS restore to get you LBS settings to default.

3. Update your modem to one of the 2.2 versions. Im particularly happy with JL4 modem myself

4. Learn to use ODIN!!!! Use this to reload your firmware of choice. Prior to flashing you favorate ROM, Always flash back to JDF (BONE STOCK FIRMWARE).

5. If you dont know what im talking about in 4, then go to the developers section and read, read, read.

6. If you have any other questions refer to sujection 1 first, then ask. Honistly, alot of people have put some work into verifing if this fix works and testing with various software, the least you can do is read this body of work and you just might end up with a working GPS.

7. My last tip of the day. Be patent with your first locks, the GPS does improve the more data it collects. This also means dont delete your GPS data unless you changed modems or are having real lock and or accuracy issues

Q) Does this fix drift?

A) There have been a couple that have mentioned that it does fix the drift, but I think there may have been others that say they get better locks but still get some drift. I do believe though that everyone who has done the driving test with it has reported that it tracks better now and actually shows them on the correct roads, where before it didn't.

Q) What are the other contacts?

A) Opposite side is Wi-Fi, bottom is cellular.

Q) OK, so I can bend it up, or replace it with a bit of solder. Is that all?

A) Of course not. Some like to stick a little piece of plastic under the tab rather than try to bend it. Just a little sliver about as wide as the contact cut off a credit card should work. Your Mileage may vary, in my mind if you drop the phone that plastic is gonna be floating around in there somewhere.

Q) So inside I see. . .

A) Stop! go outside. GPS was not designed to help you get from your bathroom to your kitchen. GPS signals are low power signals that have to travel all the way from an orbital satellite. Low frequencies penetrate well, and bend around objects, but they require a lot of power to transmit over distance. High frequencies travel much further with less power and remains in a fairly strait line, but it does not penetrate very well. Guess what GPS uses. So don't make it try to penetrate your roof.

Q) So there are two apps listed to test GPS and . . .

A) I've noticed a big difference between the two apps called "GPS Test". Try using the one written by Mike Lockwood (he's on the Google GPS team).

http://www.androlib.com/android.appl...stest-qjx.aspx

AND FINALLY

Q) What does tonight taste like?

A) Tonight tastes like chinese food and whiskey with coconut water :)

A final note about satellites and tracking said hunks of orbital equipment
    I have noticed a lot of people are wanting to compare signal levels. This is fine on a superficial level, and there should be some level of consistency as long as you live on roughly the same latitude as the person you are comparing with. As Einstein said - everything is relative. With that in mind I thought I would share a post I made in another thread. There is cool stuff in here - so check it out.

Another thing that you have to realize is that the satellites themselves are a variable. The only way to make a satellite stationary is to put it into orbit directly on the equator, falling at the exact same rate the earth spins, and in the same direction. Even at that there is still a little wobble in a figure 8 pattern.

So GPS sats are anything but stationary, but they are flying at great speeds overhead coming in and out of view by their own rite at any time. At the speeds they fly the distances to you change by the mile rather quickly. So it should be no surprise that doing your testing repeatedly will never yield the same results twice. There are also a lot of other factors involved as well.

The point is that you are now getting very acceptable and usable results from your GPS consistently, even if you never get anything as great as your first time. Maybe you will get those strong of signals again, but even if you don't you seems to be an par with what the majority of people have reported so far.

FYI - If you would like to see some real time tracking of GPS sats that you should be able to see (THIS IS REALLY COOL) go to http://www.n2yo.com and click the GPS link at the top of the page. It will load a page of sats that are visible from your location. Click the select all box and then click the track selected satellites button. It will load a world map with the orbital paths of the sats, then the sats themselves. You can watch them move and even select them for more information on each satellite. This is not limited to GPS satellites if you want to keep playing with it. The point is that if you watch it for a little bit you can see pretty quickly as they move relative to the world map they are on just how many miles (or kilos) they cover in a fairly short time.
    1. Put a small plastic spacer (made from clear plastic blister packs) in between the spring contact to reduce future deflection, and therefore increasing contact pressure. This may require some patience as the parts you are working with are very small (~1.5mm x 1.5mm)
    Big thanks for this :)
    I also used kind of a spacer made of a small (very small) piece of a rubber band.
    See attached images.
    Before #1
    P1075455_filtered_pc.jpg

Before #2
    P1075445_filtered_pc.jpg

After
    P1075462_filtered_pc.jpg

My SGS GPS works as a charm after this fix :)

/Per
    SUCCESS!!!

Ok I just wrapped up and I can report that the solder drop does indeed work. I've taken pictures for those who are interested in trying it.

My first drop was too big and made the phone bulge so I reheated my solder gun and managed to take off about half of the solder that I dropped on. What I was left with was an odd not perfectly round blob but it seems to be good enough to have done the trick. GPS now locks instantly even from inside my room. And I do mean INSTANTLY. The midplate fit back on perfectly so I'm not sure exactly how much contact is actually being made between the solder and the midplate contact but its obviously enough. K, now pictures...

Here is the final drop. I tired to take pictures that would display the size of it. Sorry for my lack of a macro lens. CLICK PICTURES FOR FULL RESOLUTION

The Results..

For reference this is what the weather here in the Bay Area is like today. All clouds and rain.

The signal I was getting outdoor with ZERO obstructions. After many minutes.

What I get now outside in my driveway post fix.

What I get from my desk inside the house post fix.

Hope this helps someone. Sorry for the lengthy post but I'm quite proud of my first solder job ever.
    Caution: Technical

ok, i'm not trying this in fear of jacking my phone up, but am i to assume that this gps problem with the galaxy is a hardware issue and not a firmware issue? lol i don't know if anyone mentioned this earlier in the thread i was getting bored of reading it....so with that being known lol i shouldn't EVER expect a fix unless they replace my phone and start fixing this with newer versions? lol this is hilarious lol

All of your questions are answered in this thread (more than once, because people won't actually read).

Here we go again.
    Q) Is it hardware?

Q) Should I ever expect a fix?
    A) Read the OP. It was "fixed" (ie they improved the connection, but they did not re-engineer a proper fix) already. It seems if it was made in September there is a good chance it is ok or marginal. If it was made (or possibly re-manufactured?) in October it seems they are at least as good as the fix we are applying in this thread. Either they are using better contacts or they are increasing the angle to apply more pressure.

Q) Will T-mobile replace it?
    A) They recognize the problem. This is what the app Samsung released is for. It resets everything to the stock settings (and nothing else). If you use it and can show unacceptable performance with the GPS (via the measurements the app makes - it is the official guide replacement), then they should replace the phone for you without any fight.