Correct method to force OTA Updates

Did this method worked for you

• Total voters
Search This thread

Mister-H

Hii there,

I was struggling to get the January Update for A1 so I looked upon many threads to find methods and devised a step by step process to force OTA updates.

METHOD 1 : (Minimal Risk)
1. Go to Settings > Apps and Notifications > App Info > 3 dot menu Icon > Show System
2. Look for Google Services Framework App.
3. Click Disable, If it asks it will delete all the data, Click cancel
4. Reboot your device and Re-Enable Google Services Framework App, wait for 5 mins for update to popup or manually check.
5. Repeat steps 1-4 again if no popup of update comes.

Thanks to @krazy_about_technology for testing and confirming the above method in this thread.

METHOD 2:
Please try and tell if it works..
Open the dialer and enter
*#*#CHECKIN#*#* or if I might say *#*#2432546#*#*

After that you will get a notification checkin succeeded. Tell me if it works or not..

OLD METHOD (Risky, might break push notifications) :
1. Go to Settings > Apps and Notifications > App Info > 3 dot menu Icon > Show System
3. Open it and go to Storage > Clear Data.
4. Push back button once > Disable the app, force stop it then Enable again.
5. Reboot your device ( Important !)
6. Go to Settings > System Update > Hit check for updates (10- 15 times).
7. Update will pop up. Enjoy.

EDIT : If update doesn't popup wait 5-10 Mins.

WARNING : If this method starts some sort of catastrophe or increases Global warming, bricks your device,
your Xiaomi Mi A1 blasts, cathes fire, factory resets, earth stops revolving :D, moon comes closer to earth :laugh:, you don't receive gifts from your girlfriend anymore :D:D:D, the OP (me) is not responsible.

If something goes wrong after update from this method, you can factory reset your device from recovery or settings or Clear data from apps that stop receiving push notifications after update.

PS : I created this thread bcoz I thought it might be helpful, if it doesn't helps just vote 'Nah' and tell others, please don't spread hate. Peace Out :fingers-crossed: :silly:

:D:D

Last edited:

Lupin The Third

Retired Forum Moderator
Mar 26, 2011
Planet Earth
Hii there,

I was struggling to get the January Update for A1 so I looked upon many threads to find methods and devised a step by step process to force OTA updates.

Really??? :eek:

Reactions: NITRO_100

JockeSve

Aug 1, 2013
Correct method??? Where did You get that idea from???

Why bother and risk functionality by "forcing" update?
There are quite a few warnings from dev's and vendors regarding that method.
At least my phone notifies me when the update is available...
If that takes a day or two longer so what's the big deal???
Calm down and let the updates roll out as planned!

Last edited:

Mister-H

Also more dangerous. The damage related to the Google framework can force you to make a Factory Reset. Breaking Google Play Services is not a good idea. If you want to force the update, there you go, but maybe wait a bit is better if you think in having a functional OS environment.

In my case I have done it 3-4 times..
Still no problem. After all when you are already on a buggy update you can try risk your head afterall :D (random reboots :cough)

Mister-H

Correct method to "force" something wouldn't be that easy on your device though, so If you are impatient you can have a go. :silly:

JockeSve

Aug 1, 2013
In my case I have done it 3-4 times..
Still no problem. After all when you are already on a buggy update you can try risk your head afterall :D (random reboots :cough)
Well... I don't do any clear on Framework and don't experience any "bugs" or "random restarts", "slow dialer" so what's Your point?
There ARE fair warnings regarding Your "correct way" to read... Just Goole it.
But anyway: Choice is Yours, but don't blame all weird behavior or "bugs" on OS...

birdie

Nov 25, 2012
Vatican
I'm voting "No" because there's nothing "correct" about this method - on the contrary it breaks your phone and forces you to factory reset it afterwards.

Reactions: Avelarius

cristi90

Mar 22, 2016
I did those steps, but without clearing the data for "google service framework". I force stopped, then disable it, restarted the phone, check for the update and there it was. The phone works without any issues with this method, in my case.

Reactions: Mister-H

NITRO_100

Mar 10, 2011
Zagreb
You (OP) should put some warning for people to test on their own risk because this is definitely not the right method. Google says to never clear data of google framework, so I think they know more then you. The only correct method is to wait for the update to show itself.

Rajeev

Recognized Contributor
Nov 24, 2012
Chennai , I N D I A
You (OP) should put some warning for people to test on their own risk because this is definitely not the right method. Google says to never clear data of google framework, so I think they know more then you. The only correct method is to wait for the update to show itself.

May i know whats the main issues we will face with this TRICK ?

JockeSve

Aug 1, 2013
Try Googling "clear google framework data".
As it states on few articles, You may end up running factory reset anyway!
But in the end, it's still Your choice!

On the other hand, what harm does it do to wait for the official rollout?
Loosing day or two...

SeriousHoax

May 17, 2016
This method always worked for me. But not working in case of January Security patch :/
It's normal to stop receiving push notifications but it's very easy to fix that. Uninstall those app which relies on push notifications and install again from PlayStore and everything will be fine again.

itsnie

Mar 24, 2014
Good job :fingers-crossed:
It works thx

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180116-214213.png
    Screenshot_20180116-214213.png
    118 KB · Views: 1,042
Reactions: Mister-H

gokulroots

Oct 28, 2017
Hii there,

Just clearing the data of Google services framework does the job

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hii there,

METHOD 1 : (Minimal Risk)
    3. Click Disable, If it asks it will delete all the data, Click cancel
    4. Reboot your device and Re-Enable Google Services Framework App, wait for 5 mins for update to popup or manually check.
    5. Repeat steps 1-4 again if no popup of update comes.

Thanks to @krazy_about_technology for testing and confirming the above method in this thread.

METHOD 2:
    Please try and tell if it works..
    Open the dialer and enter
    *#*#CHECKIN#*#* or if I might say *#*#2432546#*#*

After that you will get a notification checkin succeeded. Tell me if it works or not..

OLD METHOD (Risky, might break push notifications) :

WARNING : If this method starts some sort of catastrophe or increases Global warming, bricks your device,
    your Xiaomi Mi A1 blasts, cathes fire, factory resets, earth stops revolving :D, moon comes closer to earth :laugh:, you don't receive gifts from your girlfriend anymore :D:D:D, the OP (me) is not responsible.

If something goes wrong after update from this method, you can factory reset your device from recovery or settings or Clear data from apps that stop receiving push notifications after update.

PS : I created this thread bcoz I thought it might be helpful, if it doesn't helps just vote 'Nah' and tell others, please don't spread hate. Peace Out :fingers-crossed: :silly:

Better than a factory reset :D ;)

Also more dangerous. The damage related to the Google framework can force you to make a Factory Reset. Breaking Google Play Services is not a good idea. If you want to force the update, there you go, but maybe wait a bit is better if you think in having a functional OS environment.

best method is invest the time you invest worryng about dont receive super fast the update, to learn to be calmer, and be able to wait a couple of days more.
    Hii there,

There is NO NEED to clear data at all. Just Force Stop Google Services Framework, Disable it and Restart phone. Go to same settings again, and enable Google Services Back again. Now go and check for updates, you should get the latest update if you dont have it already.
    Otherwise repeat the same procedure again once or twice.