• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

cosequence if unlock bootloader on google pixel 3?

Search This thread

xerxess

Mar 13, 2014
hi guys

im new on pixel series. i want to know if i do unlock bootloader, is there any feature will gone if i do that?
like samsung lost knox or sony lost drm for camera and entertaiment

thankyou

sliding_billy

Apr 23, 2012
North Texas
hi guys

im new on pixel series. i want to know if i do unlock bootloader, is there any feature will gone if i do that?
like samsung lost knox or sony lost drm for camera and entertaiment

thankyou

You have to work a bit to keep GPay working, and the solution definitely requires root. The current solution has been working for a few months and works on Android 10, but who knows if they will "fix" the current hack. You will absolutely not be able to download Netflix from the Play Store. There is one build on APK Mirror that will sideload and run, but of course you will get no updates. I've been running that build on the Pixel for about 6 months, and I have a tablet that does get Netflix updates yet I see no difference between that Feb build and Netflix even from a few days ago. Those are the only two things impacting me. Obviously, need to hide apps with Magisk and such is user specific (my car's door unlock/diagnostics/etc detects root without hiding it, but it works fine once hidden).

xerxess

Mar 13, 2014
You have to work a bit to keep GPay working, and the solution definitely requires root. The current solution has been working for a few months and works on Android 10, but who knows if they will "fix" the current hack. You will absolutely not be able to download Netflix from the Play Store. There is one build on APK Mirror that will sideload and run, but of course you will get no updates. I've been running that build on the Pixel for about 6 months, and I have a tablet that does get Netflix updates yet I see no difference between that Feb build and Netflix even from a few days ago. Those are the only two things impacting me. Obviously, need to hide apps with Magisk and such is user specific (my car's door unlock/diagnostics/etc detects root without hiding it, but it works fine once hidden).

first i wanna say thankyou for reply. ah i see so the only thing feature lost function is GPay (without little tweak). is it possible to relock again? if yes , is feature fully function again? tbh i dont really need GPay.

sliding_billy

Apr 23, 2012
North Texas
first i wanna say thankyou for reply. ah i see so the only thing feature lost function is GPay (without little tweak). is it possible to relock again? if yes , is feature fully function again? tbh i dont really need GPay.

You can relock the BL, but you need to first return to absolute stock (no root, no kernel, no custom recovery, etc - pretty much flash the factory image with wipe to both slots to be safe). Then the relock will perform another factory reset anyways. So, if you are asking if you can keep anything you've done while unlocked the answer is no. To me, the biggest reason for unlocking beyond root is that it is almost impossible to hard brick the Pixel with an unlocked BL. It is pretty easily accomplished when locked down and can even happen as a result of a bad OTA or something that is not your fault at all.

Last edited:

xerxess

Mar 13, 2014
You can relock the BL, but you need to first return to absolute stock (no root, no kernel, no custom recovery, etc - pretty much flash the factory image with wipe to both slots to be safe). Then the relock will perform another factory reset anyways. So, if you are asking if you can keep anything you've done while unlocked the answer is no. To me, the biggest reason for unlocking beyond root is that it is almost impossible to hard brick the Pixel with an unlocked BL. It is pretty easily accomplished when locked down and can even happen as a result of a bad OTA or something that is not your fault at all.

understood, if only need back to absolute stock its okay for me. though it will like other smartphone need "drm" to relock.
yeah agree, why i think to unlock is about avoid brick or similar thing. but before i do that i need to know what feature will lost, so i asking here.
if relock again, all things will back to normal again right?

sliding_billy

Apr 23, 2012
North Texas
understood, if only need back to absolute stock its okay for me. though it will like other smartphone need "drm" to relock.
yeah agree, why i think to unlock is about avoid brick or similar thing. but before i do that i need to know what feature will lost, so i asking here.
if relock again, all things will back to normal again right?

No, there is no residual damage like lost Knox. Everything would return to normal once BL is locked back up.

Top Liked Posts