Themes / Apps / Mods CoverScreen OS - more than a cover launcher, use cover screen as a fully functional mini phone! (includes Native Lockscreen!)

Search This thread

paul c

Nov 15, 2006
Madrid
That's strange, I haven't lost the Accessibility service in the last couple of weeks (after one of the updates, it fixed it for me).

Absolutely standard Flip3...

That said, it seems the CSOS is rebooting a lot - is that part of the workaround..?

Could be a good idea to remove the "Welcome User" splashscreen, which is getting to be a bit annoying with so many reboots

Reactions: dogredwing1

medipac

Jan 20, 2022
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip3
That's strange, I haven't lost the Accessibility service in the last couple of weeks (after one of the updates, it fixed it for me).

Absolutely standard Flip3...

That said, it seems the CSOS is rebooting a lot - is that part of the workaround..?

Could be a good idea to remove the "Welcome User" splashscreen, which is getting to be a bit annoying with so many reboots
I'm having the same problem with CSOS rebooting ALOT.....please fix

jagan2

Recognized Developer
Jul 8, 2009
Update: For a very limited time you can access all features of CoverScreen OS for less than $1/mo. :)

paul c

Nov 15, 2006
Madrid
Hi a couple of things, with recent updates - on reboot, the CSOS UI appears.

Also, still getting a lot of welcome screen overlays on the cover screen itself.

This one is a lot more important for me - also, I noticed in the release notes that in the latest burst of beta releases that you have done some work on the widget formatting. I have been using a WIdget called xdrip+, it's a medical info widget (you can get the app from here https://github.com/benceszasz/xDripCareLinkFollower/releases

Before these latest releases, the widget was stable and well behaved.

A lot of the time, the widget renders perfectly, but other times - I have nt been able to work out what triggers this, the widget is unreadable (I can't work out what has happened to it, but looking it, it is either compressed vertically, or just a small piece of the widget is visible)

Attaching 2 screenshots, where you can see the good and not-so-good rendering.

If you need some detailed logfiles from me, just let me know

Attachments

• Widgets.zip
    14.9 KB · Views: 42

jagan2

Recognized Developer
Jul 8, 2009
Hi a couple of things, with recent updates - on reboot, the CSOS UI appears.

Also, still getting a lot of welcome screen overlays on the cover screen itself.

This one is a lot more important for me - also, I noticed in the release notes that in the latest burst of beta releases that you have done some work on the widget formatting. I have been using a WIdget called xdrip+, it's a medical info widget (you can get the app from here https://github.com/benceszasz/xDripCareLinkFollower/releases

Before these latest releases, the widget was stable and well behaved.

A lot of the time, the widget renders perfectly, but other times - I have nt been able to work out what triggers this, the widget is unreadable (I can't work out what has happened to it, but looking it, it is either compressed vertically, or just a small piece of the widget is visible)

Attaching 2 screenshots, where you can see the good and not-so-good rendering.

If you need some detailed logfiles from me, just let me know

Hi Paul! The reboots shall be continuously monitored and improved! And the widget resizing is definitely one of the top priorities I have right now, it needs some major restructuring so getting delayed often, but don't worry, I will get it sorted in next 1 or 2 updates! :)

Also, thanks for your meaningful feedbacks as always! :)

will this support flip 4 ?

YES! See the next post! ;)

Reactions: paul c

jagan2

Recognized Developer
Jul 8, 2009

UPDATE: beta_9.1

What's new?​

• CoverScreen OS and Samsung's Stock OS is now unified as one, access best of both worlds! (Check out the new Navigation system within the App's tutorial screen.)
  • CoverScreen OS now officially supports Z Flip 4! The development will try to cater to both Z Flip 3 & 4 unless a feature implementation isn’t possible in either of them due to technical limitation.

1660641734247.png

1660641762100.png

1660641789657.png

1660641806794.png

1660641819521.png

1660641831627.png

1660641848727.png

Download options:​

If you enjoy using the App, please leave a review on Google Play Store, it will greatly help the development of the project. Stay tuned for more updates! Cheers! 🙂

STAY UPDATED:​

Join CoverScreen OS's official updates news channel
Join CoverScreen OS's official discussion/group channel

jagan2

Recognized Developer
Jul 8, 2009
Hello everyone! How does the battery hold up compared to the original Samsung's UI? I've tested CoverScreenOS before and was an absolute battery drainer. I'm now open to installing it again, as it seems it's now highly developed.
Unless you're using Flex Mode, there shouldn't be any reason for any unrealistic battery drain. There might be some notifications which keep Edge Lighting notifications on forever (let me know if you come across such apps, will patch it up!) :)

jagan2

Recognized Developer
Jul 8, 2009
Reactions: paul c

NguyenHuu

Nov 14, 2007
California
My blink camera notifications are not showing when i swipe over, but i can see the orange notification dot. I reported this bug through the app before but it didn't get any resolution. Hope you can look into it, thanks.

jagan2

Recognized Developer
Jul 8, 2009

UPDATE: beta_100k+1_update

1662146595660.jpeg

100k+ downloads, thanks all, 116+ versions released! It costs less than a phone case to support the continuous development by a one-man army!

What's new?​

• Smart Replies for chat messages! (English only)
  • New feature loaded super fast App Drawer - Grid/List, Columns 4/5/6, App labels, Fav Apps filter
  • Set default sort/filter for App Drawer - None/Fav Apps/Recents
  • Assign either landscape/portrait orientation to your Apps and let CSOS auto launch Apps based on your preference!
  • App Drawer can now display 'Notification Count Badge' for every App
  • Open your media Apps directly from Media screen of CSOS
  • Clicking on any ongoing media's Album Art/Song, Album name/Artist Name will open the corresponding App directly on cover screen
  • Set default keyboard to T9 or QWERTY
  • Add any widget to CSOS directly from cover screen with one tap (Extra customizations like widget zoom level, order etc can be done from main screen)
  • Several bug fixes with respect to stability

1662146658059.png

Download options:​

If you enjoy using the App, please leave a review on Google Play Store, it will greatly help the development of the project. Stay tuned for more updates! Cheers! 🙂

STAY UPDATED:​

Last edited:

kat3k

Nov 22, 2010
I like to support, but...... Sometimes there are discounts offered to xda members. Any discounts on the one time $30 version?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Download now from Google Play Store! (Please leave a review on Google Play Store if you find CSOS meaningful for your Z Flip 3/4!)

1641020593520.png
    Hi guys! Developer of Energy Ring & Access Dots here. Excited to present a mini OS for the cover screen of Z Flip 3/4 through an App - CoverScreen OS! It shall make your phone's cover screen a fully functional mini phone!

1644533940825.png

CoverScreen OS almost simulates a secondary OS on your Z Flip's cover screen with the following features:

• Cover Launcher / App Launcher/Drawer
    • Caller ID Screen for VoIP Apps (WhatsApp, Telegram, LINE and more...)
    • Support for all third party Apps homescreen widgets
    • Quick Toggles - a TON load of them!
    • Navigation gestures
    • Notifications
    • Powerful Media screen - multiple sessions, scrub through the track and additional controls that are not available in Samsung's Stock OS for cover screen
    • Voice, QWERTY, T9 full keyboard support
    • On screen LED Notification indicator/Edge Lighting
    • Flex Mode

The navigation system is built such that, you can access both CoverScreen OS and Samsung's Stock OS (checkout the tutorial within the App.)

Flexing the 'Flex mode' ;)

Also, you can now 'click' on 'most' widgets to perform action on CSOS itself.

New Notification options in action!

Edge Lighting for multiple Apps in action!

COVER LAUNCHER / APP LAUNCHER/DRAWER:

• Launch almost any App on your cover screen with back navigation support and voice keyboard input.
    • Launch apps in locked orientation - portrait or landscape.
    • Quick search apps by alphabet.
    • Sort apps alphabetically - ascending/decending.
    • Sort apps by recently used first.

WIDGETS SCREEN:

• Add almost any widget pixel-perfect aligned for Z Flip 3/4's cover screen, of any App that you would normally add to your homescreen on the main display.
    • Add as many widgets as you want.
    • Widgets can be set into one of the two sizes.
    • Perform almost all actions on the widgets like clicking on a button to launching its App.

QUICK TOGGLES SCREEN:

NATIVE/IN-BUILT TOGGLES:
    • Bluetooth turn on/off
    • Flashlight
    • DND mode
    • Flex Mode - use cover screen while phone is unfolded
    • Caffeinate - keep screen awake
    • Power Dialog on cover screen
    TON LOAD OF ADDITIONAL TOGGLES: You can add super powerful quick toggles powered by Bixby Routines, Tasker, IFTTT and many more available providers, check out within the App! Some examples here, only limited by your imagination
    • Wifi, NFC, GPS, Wifi Hotspot, Power Saving mode toggle, Read aloud notification, screen brightness control
    • Quick dial a contact, SMS, play music, reminders, alarm, battery level.
    • Only limited by your imagination!

NOTIFICATIONS SCREEN:

• Reply to any notification with voice keyboard.
    • Open notification instantly either on cover screen or on main screen.
    • Perform additional actions available on each notification.
    • Dismiss notifications with swipe right.

MEDIA PLAYBACK SCREEN:

• Access all media playbacks from all Apps, as available on your main screen.
    • Theme support.

EDGE LIGHTING/ON-SCREEN LED NOTIFICATION INDICATOR:

• Turns on cover screen and glows the edges of your cover screen just like the Edge Lighting on your main screen.
    • You can set a single solid color for all incoming notification or let CSOS apply the App's Icon color.
    • If you have multiple notifications from multiple Apps, they can combine into a beautiful gradient.
    • More colors, customizations under development.

FLEX MODE:

• Use cover screen with access to all CSOS features while the phone is unfolded.
    • Keep the phone on your desk or bed in tent-style stand mode.
    • Cover screen stays on until you manually disable Flex Mode or fold back your phone.

DEVELOPMENT STATUS:

The OS requires some heavy sustained development effort to deliver a feature complete version. The OS has come a long way and it’s mostly stable now as reported by majority of the users.

CoverScreen OS IN ACTION:

SNAPS OF Z FLIP 3 RUNNING CoverScreen OS:

1644594348310.jpeg

Caller ID Screen.jpg
    Edge Lighting.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-02-11 at 9.08.06 PM.jpeg
    1645091020674.png

1644755552547-png.5536195

1645091047409.png
    1645091108257.png

1644755570806-png.5536199
    1645091140595.png
    1645091183492.png
    1644532318628.png

1644533587153.png
    1644533491958.png
    1644534047280.png

THE ORIGIN STORY:

Been working on this project since the original Z Flip, but unfortunately had to suspend development due to cracked screen (that countless folding/unfolding while testing.)

1641023353249.jpeg

The release of Z Flip 3 with a bigger cover screen was enough incentive for me to be excited about the project once again but unfortunately I again hit a bottleneck as the screen started bleeding this streak of green light right at the center and sometimes whole of second half.

1641023428051.jpeg

1641074190997.png

Fearing a cracked screen once again, I had suspended the development yet again… but… that cute little cover screen… here we are. :)

NAVIGATION SYSTEM:

1660656780606.png

1660656826137.png

1660656833333.png

1660656840482.png

1660656849707.png

1660656863079.png

1660656874567.png

DOWNLOAD:​

After thousands of unfolding/unfolding, happy to announce that, beta version of CoverScreen OS is now available for open testing on Google Play store!

If you find CSOS meaningful for your Z Flip 3/4, please leave a review on Google Play Store!

STAY UPDATED:

Hey guys! I am glad to report that, CoverScreen OS supports One UI 4.0! :)

DOWNLOAD:​

After thousands of unfolding/unfolding, happy to announce that, a super experimental early access version of CoverScreen OS is now available for open testing on Google Play store (you may have to clear Play Store's storage/cache if you see 'pre-registration' page instead of 'open testing'.)

Spent countless hours and months working on this project, almost broke two Z Flips in the process. And now, your precious feedback and support shall determine the future course of development, which may include but not limited to:

• Allowing samsung's implementation work along with CoverScreen OS
    • More quick toggles (Wifi, GPS... you tell me!)
    • Dismiss notifications (either only on cover screen or both the screens)
    • Pick up WhatsApp and other VoIP calls directly from cover screen
    • App drawer with 'recents', 'favorites' and more sections
    • Support for dedicated Apps (think of call, contacts...) and widgets optimized for cover screen
    DOWNLOAD NOW!

NOTE: On Android 12, you may not be able to use Apps on cover screen (working on a fix!)

INSTALLATION & CONFIGURATION INSTRUCTIONS:​

1. Setup Bixby (required to fingerprint unlock to launch Apps on cover screen.)

2. Set side key to launch Bixby on Long press: Settings > Advanced features > Side key > Under 'Press and hold' select 'Wake Bixby'.

3. Launch App - select your Google Account.

4. Follow the onscreen dialog to grant 'Appear on top' permission.

5. Hit the switch at top right corner of the App > Installed services > CoverScreen OS > On > [Notifications access settings page will be opened] > Turn on CoverScreen OS.

6. You can now fold your phone to checkout CoverScreen OS in action.

OS NAVIGATION SYSTEM:​

I am yet to work on proper screenshots/demos to guide you guys, but here is some tips to using CoverScreen OS:

OS screen arrangement:

• Swipe Right: Opens Notifications screen.
    • Swipe Left: Shows widgets you have added in the CoverScreen OS Settings App.
    • Swipe Down: Quick Toggles.
    • Swipe Up: Shows media play back controls (only if there is something active!)
    • Tap on Home: Opens App drawer.

Notifications screen:

• Clicking on Notifications reveals more details.
    • To go back to notificaitons list, swipe down

App drawer:

• To exit to home from App drawer, swipe right.

App screen:

App screen refers to any App launched from CoverScreen OS's App drawer.
    • Navigating back: Swipe left from extreme right of your cover screen.
    • Going back to App drawer: Swipe up from extreme bottom of your cover screen.
    • Going home: Go to App drawer > swipe right.
    • Text input: Click on any text input area to open Voice Keyboard. On some Apps, you may have to click twice > once to focus on input field > second to open Voice Keyboard.

STAY UPDATED:

Watch out for new version: early_access_1.9! (Will be available anytime now on Play Store, will notify all once again when it's up, am off to bed now!)​

• Apps launched on cover screen can be 'resumed' on main screen through 'recents' (it used to freeze earlier.)
    • Fixed glitch of screen reunlocking when 'LED' notification is on.
    • Tapping on persistent notification now opens the correct settings page to turn it off.
    • More options to contribute towards the rapid development of the project.
    Notes:

• The App is yet to be made stable, it should be ready for day to day use in next few versions, please bear with the bugs, they shall be gently squashed! :)
    • Upcoming versions will work along with Samsung's native implementation, allowing access to standard widgets and Samsung Pay!
    • Feel free to flood in feature requests, ideas for the cover screen.
    • Allowing the two notifications appear is the most reliable way for you to know which service is running and which has shutdown unexpectedly - requiring you to manually re-enable them.

• Notification titled 'CoverScreen OS boot status' corresponds to the Accessibility Service. - re-enable the service if you don't see the notification.
    • Notification titled 'CoverSCreen OS activity status' corresponds to the Notification Access given to CoverScreen OS in your system settings - re-enable the service if you don't see the notification.

Edit: It's now available on Play Store, if you don't see the update, clear the Play Store's storage/cache! Also make sure you're doing a clean install.​