Themes / Apps / Mods CoverScreen OS - now ready for Z Flip 4! (A mini OS for your cover screen!)

Search This thread

ap6709

Download now from Google Play Store! (Please leave a review on Google Play Store if you find CSOS meaningful for your Z Flip 3/4!)

View attachment 5687427Hi guys! Developer of Energy Ring & Access Dots here. Excited to present a mini OS for the cover screen of Z Flip 3/4 through an App - CoverScreen OS! It shall make your phone's cover screen a fully functional mini phone! This version of CoverScreen OS is courtesy of over 110+ versions released and tested on Z Flip 3 by thousands of users!

CoverScreen OS almost simulates a secondary OS on your Z Flip's cover screen with the following features:

• Cover Launcher / App Launcher/Drawer
  • Caller ID Screen for VoIP Apps (WhatsApp, Telegram, LINE and more...)
  • Support for all third party Apps homescreen widgets
  • Quick Toggles - a TON load of them!
  • Navigation gestures
  • Notifications
  • Powerful Media screen - multiple sessions, scrub through the track and additional controls that are not available in Samsung's Stock OS for cover screen
  • Voice, QWERTY, T9 full keyboard support
  • On screen LED Notification indicator/Edge Lighting
  • Flex Mode

The navigation system is built such that, you can access both CoverScreen OS and Samsung's Stock OS (checkout the tutorial within the App.)

Flexing the 'Flex mode' ;)
Also, you can now 'click' on 'most' widgets to perform action on CSOS itself.

New Notification options in action!

Edge Lighting for multiple Apps in action!

COVER LAUNCHER / APP LAUNCHER/DRAWER:

• Launch almost any App on your cover screen with back navigation support and voice keyboard input.
  • Launch apps in locked orientation - portrait or landscape.
  • Quick search apps by alphabet.
  • Sort apps alphabetically - ascending/decending.
  • Sort apps by recently used first.

WIDGETS SCREEN:

• Add almost any widget pixel-perfect aligned for Z Flip 3/4's cover screen, of any App that you would normally add to your homescreen on the main display.
  • Add as many widgets as you want.
  • Widgets can be set into one of the two sizes.
  • Perform almost all actions on the widgets like clicking on a button to launching its App.

QUICK TOGGLES SCREEN:

NATIVE/IN-BUILT TOGGLES:
  • Bluetooth turn on/off
  • Flashlight
  • DND mode
  • Flex Mode - use cover screen while phone is unfolded
  • Caffeinate - keep screen awake
  • Power Dialog on cover screen
TON LOAD OF ADDITIONAL TOGGLES: You can add super powerful quick toggles powered by Bixby Routines, Tasker, IFTTT and many more available providers, check out within the App! Some examples here, only limited by your imagination
  • Wifi, NFC, GPS, Wifi Hotspot, Power Saving mode toggle, Read aloud notification, screen brightness control
  • Quick dial a contact, SMS, play music, reminders, alarm, battery level.
  • Only limited by your imagination!

NOTIFICATIONS SCREEN:

• Reply to any notification with voice keyboard.
  • Open notification instantly either on cover screen or on main screen.
  • Perform additional actions available on each notification.
  • Dismiss notifications with swipe right.

MEDIA PLAYBACK SCREEN:

• Access all media playbacks from all Apps, as available on your main screen.
  • Theme support.

EDGE LIGHTING/ON-SCREEN LED NOTIFICATION INDICATOR:

• Turns on cover screen and glows the edges of your cover screen just like the Edge Lighting on your main screen.
  • You can set a single solid color for all incoming notification or let CSOS apply the App's Icon color.
  • If you have multiple notifications from multiple Apps, they can combine into a beautiful gradient.
  • More colors, customizations under development.

FLEX MODE:

• Use cover screen with access to all CSOS features while the phone is unfolded.
  • Keep the phone on your desk or bed in tent-style stand mode.
  • Cover screen stays on until you manually disable Flex Mode or fold back your phone.

DEVELOPMENT STATUS:

The OS requires some heavy sustained development effort to deliver a feature complete version. The OS has come a long way and it’s mostly stable now as reported by majority of the users on Z Flip 3.

CoverScreen OS IN ACTION:

SNAPS OF Z FLIP 3 RUNNING CoverScreen OS (Waiting for physical access to Z Flip 4 for fresh photos):

View attachment 5687429 View attachment 5687431
View attachment 5687433 View attachment 5687435 View attachment 5687437 View attachment 5687443
View attachment 5687475 View attachment 5687477
View attachment 5687479 View attachment 5687481
View attachment 5687491

THE ORIGIN STORY:

Been working on this project since the original Z Flip, but unfortunately had to suspend development due to cracked screen (that countless folding/unfolding while testing.)

The release of Z Flip 3 with a bigger cover screen was enough incentive for me to be excited about the project once again but unfortunately I again hit a bottleneck as the screen started bleeding this streak of green light right at the center and sometimes whole of second half.

Fearing a cracked screen once again, I had suspended the development yet again… but… that cute little cover screen… here we are. :)
Shall provide constructive feedback to improve the app. Thanks for it anyways! Now we can utilise the full potential of the cover screen in Flip 4

Tatakau

Aug 27, 2010
I like the app but can we not just have the option to buy it outright instead of some subscription scheme? Would pay for it then.

jagan2

Recognized Developer
Jul 8, 2009
Do you think there would be any offer or discount on subscription soon?>

Hi there! To be honest, the existing pricing already is very hard to sustain the development efforts, because only a very tiny fraction actually contribute to the project and this is so niche that the small set contributors actually is really tiny.

Also, the base contribution is less than a phone case offered by Samsung for the phone, for a simulated secondary OS experience that's being continuously developed, I beleive it's at a reasonable price at the moment. :)

jpeg9201

Mar 10, 2016
Hi Jagan !
I've paid for monthly subscription on my Z flip 4 and I'm quit desappointed to see that, randomly, I cannot launch app from the lock screen. I can see the drawer, select an app, then it requires fingerprint and when I put my finger on the reader, the cover screen gets black and there is nothing I can do. Double tap, press power button, slide up or left (back), the screen remains black. I have to wait for 15-20 sec to get it back.
I really love your app, without it, I would probably have sent it back to samsung...
Please fix this bug...

jagan2

Recognized Developer
Jul 8, 2009
Hi Jagan !
I've paid for monthly subscription on my Z flip 4 and I'm quit desappointed to see that, randomly, I cannot launch app from the lock screen. I can see the drawer, select an app, then it requires fingerprint and when I put my finger on the reader, the cover screen gets black and there is nothing I can do. Double tap, press power button, slide up or left (back), the screen remains black. I have to wait for 15-20 sec to get it back.
I really love your app, without it, I would probably have sent it back to samsung...
Please fix this bug...

Hi there! I am hearing this for the first time, is it some specific Apps that black out or totally random? Because I have almost never come across this issue.

Could you PM me more details? Like do you have smart lock enabled, and the Apps list which black out, etc.

fairuzaman.j

Sep 23, 2022
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4
Hi there! To be honest, the existing pricing already is very hard to sustain the development efforts, because only a very tiny fraction actually contribute to the project and this is so niche that the small set contributors actually is really tiny.

Also, the base contribution is less than a phone case offered by Samsung for the phone, for a simulated secondary OS experience that's being continuously developed, I beleive it's at a reasonable price at the moment. :)
Sir, while I value your efforts and myself is a user of Coverscreen OS, I would like to point out that there may be a mismatch in the value that you perceive to be reasonable, and the value that potential users perceive to be reasonable.

It is a fine balance to find out the price point that both developer and users meet that will increase the fraction of paid users.

Reactions: BackToAndroid

BackToAndroid

Apr 5, 2017
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4
Sir, while I value your efforts and myself is a user of Coverscreen OS, I would like to point out that there may be a mismatch in the value that you perceive to be reasonable, and the value that potential users perceive to be reasonable.

It is a fine balance to find out the price point that both developer and users meet that will increase the fraction of paid users.
I agree with you. Dev makes a reasonable point that the user adaption for z flip is low and plus for this app would be much lower but the price for a user is quite steep.

I could buy 2-4 apps using at the same price for this one.

jagan2

Recognized Developer
Jul 8, 2009

Hi! Thank you for your feedback, I actually tried to run few experimental promotions on the pricing, the niche nature of the App is such that, it just simply didn't scale well.

The original pricing was $80 and above, after a lot of experiment I have reached to the current pricing as low as $20, which as mentioned previously is still not super sustainable but definitely helps.

I would honestly love to hear if you think the amount of features, maintenance that this App goes through is not worth even equivalent of a physical phone case? Not to mention, even the small 'team' of Good Lock didn't delivery even a fraction of the features CSOS provides.

A lot of users who think $20 after spending $1000 + $$ on phone case and what not, is pretty reasonable. Of course, those users just reach out via email for any assistance and do not proactively take the time to write their experience/worthiness of the App that they enjoy.

I totally do understand, the point of view of standard Android Apps cost, but please bear in mind that, it's not a 'team' developing this, it's a super niche App only Z Flip 3/4 users discover/use it, and the amount of efforts it takes to upkeep it, I have priced it accordingly.

I would be happy to assist in setting up or address any other queries you have.

@al czervik , it's likely to stay beta for a really really long time, as this App was never supposed to exist and Samsung hasn't made no public API to support it, this is result of countless hours of R&D, and it can be blocked with one update from Samsung. Making it stay alive and compatible with the updates and constant improvement is likely to upkeep the 'beta' tag.

P.S. Another big feature upgrade is on the way, that will change the look of the cover screen yet again completely! :)

Reactions: BackToAndroid
Hi! Thank you for your feedback, I actually tried to run few experimental promotions on the pricing, the niche nature of the App is such that, it just simply didn't scale well.

The original pricing was $80 and above, after a lot of experiment I have reached to the current pricing as low as $20, which as mentioned previously is still not super sustainable but definitely helps.

I would honestly love to hear if you think the amount of features, maintenance that this App goes through is not worth even equivalent of a physical phone case? Not to mention, even the small 'team' of Good Lock didn't delivery even a fraction of the features CSOS provides.

A lot of users who think $20 after spending $1000 + $$ on phone case and what not, is pretty reasonable. Of course, those users just reach out via email for any assistance and do not proactively take the time to write their experience/worthiness of the App that they enjoy.

I totally do understand, the point of view of standard Android Apps cost, but please bear in mind that, it's not a 'team' developing this, it's a super niche App only Z Flip 3/4 users discover/use it, and the amount of efforts it takes to upkeep it, I have priced it accordingly.

@al czervik , it's likely to stay beta for a really really long time, as this App was never supposed to exist and Samsung hasn't made no public API to support it, this is result of countless hours of R&D, and it can be blocked with one update from Samsung. Making it stay alive and compatible with the updates and constant improvement is likely to upkeep the 'beta' tag.

P.S. Another big feature upgrade is on the way, that will change the look of the cover screen yet again completely! :)
Not willing spend money, especially such a premium charge on something that is in beta and constantly changing. You're not Apollo, please don't try to charge like you are.

BackToAndroid

Apr 5, 2017
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4

Appreciate your reply and efforts for the app. Keep up the good work and hope you are able to sustain. However, I am going to stay put at least for now.

jagan2

Recognized Developer
Jul 8, 2009
Thanks, do enjoy the free version which covers most basic features like launching an App, built-in keyboard, Edge Lighting, Quick Toggles and much more! :)

Akishima

Jan 19, 2012
Batavia
Thanks, do enjoy the free version which covers most basic features like launching an App, built-in keyboard, Edge Lighting, Quick Toggles and much more! :)

Hi Jagan, thanks for your apps, it does make Z Flip 4 experience much better, and I don't mind with the pricing, your reason is very acceptable.

I have a problem though, when I share live location on WhatsApp, I can't access the cover screen (double tap, single tap, swipe not working) it only shows information that I'm sharing a live location. I don't know whether this is because of Samsung system or your app.

fairyshacker

Is anyone facing issue after September update?

app not working for me.

keep getting this message

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221004_145307_CoverScreen OS.jpg
    Screenshot_20221004_145307_CoverScreen OS.jpg
    311.6 KB · Views: 33

jagan2

Recognized Developer
Jul 8, 2009
Hi Jagan, thanks for your apps, it does make Z Flip 4 experience much better, and I don't mind with the pricing, your reason is very acceptable.

I have a problem though, when I share live location on WhatsApp, I can't access the cover screen (double tap, single tap, swipe not working) it only shows information that I'm sharing a live location. I don't know whether this is because of Samsung system or your app.

Hi there! You're welcome! :)

Could you elaborate on the issue more? So, you opened WhatsApp on CSOS and started live location sharing, after that it froze? Or you were using it on main screen and then cover screen doesn't respond?

Is anyone facing issue after September update?

app not working for me.

keep getting this message

Hi there! Did you block Internet access to CSOS or something? From the screenshot, I can see that CSOS is not able to receive remote configuration.

Philnicolls89

Is there a way to add bixby routines to the csos quick toggles that acts like the toggle on the main screen?
To elaborate, the quick toggle on the main screen turns routines on or off, so when turned on all my routines will activate, provided to conditions to run are met.
However the quick toggle on csos can only work if routines is already turned on and it can only be used to turn on or off a specific routine.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Download now from Google Play Store! (Please leave a review on Google Play Store if you find CSOS meaningful for your Z Flip 3/4!)

icon.png
    Hi guys! Developer of Energy Ring & Access Dots here. Excited to present a mini OS for the cover screen of Z Flip 3/4 through an App - CoverScreen OS! It shall make your phone's cover screen a fully functional mini phone! This version of CoverScreen OS is courtesy of over 110+ versions released and tested on Z Flip 3 by thousands of users!

Weather Widget.png

CoverScreen OS almost simulates a secondary OS on your Z Flip's cover screen with the following features:

• Cover Launcher / App Launcher/Drawer
    • Caller ID Screen for VoIP Apps (WhatsApp, Telegram, LINE and more...)
    • Support for all third party Apps homescreen widgets
    • Quick Toggles - a TON load of them!
    • Navigation gestures
    • Notifications
    • Powerful Media screen - multiple sessions, scrub through the track and additional controls that are not available in Samsung's Stock OS for cover screen
    • Voice, QWERTY, T9 full keyboard support
    • On screen LED Notification indicator/Edge Lighting
    • Flex Mode

The navigation system is built such that, you can access both CoverScreen OS and Samsung's Stock OS (checkout the tutorial within the App.)

Flexing the 'Flex mode' ;)
    Also, you can now 'click' on 'most' widgets to perform action on CSOS itself.

New Notification options in action!

Edge Lighting for multiple Apps in action!

COVER LAUNCHER / APP LAUNCHER/DRAWER:

• Launch almost any App on your cover screen with back navigation support and voice keyboard input.
    • Launch apps in locked orientation - portrait or landscape.
    • Quick search apps by alphabet.
    • Sort apps alphabetically - ascending/decending.
    • Sort apps by recently used first.

WIDGETS SCREEN:

• Add almost any widget pixel-perfect aligned for Z Flip 3/4's cover screen, of any App that you would normally add to your homescreen on the main display.
    • Add as many widgets as you want.
    • Widgets can be set into one of the two sizes.
    • Perform almost all actions on the widgets like clicking on a button to launching its App.

QUICK TOGGLES SCREEN:

NATIVE/IN-BUILT TOGGLES:
    • Bluetooth turn on/off
    • Flashlight
    • DND mode
    • Flex Mode - use cover screen while phone is unfolded
    • Caffeinate - keep screen awake
    • Power Dialog on cover screen
    TON LOAD OF ADDITIONAL TOGGLES: You can add super powerful quick toggles powered by Bixby Routines, Tasker, IFTTT and many more available providers, check out within the App! Some examples here, only limited by your imagination
    • Wifi, NFC, GPS, Wifi Hotspot, Power Saving mode toggle, Read aloud notification, screen brightness control
    • Quick dial a contact, SMS, play music, reminders, alarm, battery level.
    • Only limited by your imagination!

NOTIFICATIONS SCREEN:

• Reply to any notification with voice keyboard.
    • Open notification instantly either on cover screen or on main screen.
    • Perform additional actions available on each notification.
    • Dismiss notifications with swipe right.

MEDIA PLAYBACK SCREEN:

• Access all media playbacks from all Apps, as available on your main screen.
    • Theme support.

EDGE LIGHTING/ON-SCREEN LED NOTIFICATION INDICATOR:

• Turns on cover screen and glows the edges of your cover screen just like the Edge Lighting on your main screen.
    • You can set a single solid color for all incoming notification or let CSOS apply the App's Icon color.
    • If you have multiple notifications from multiple Apps, they can combine into a beautiful gradient.
    • More colors, customizations under development.

FLEX MODE:

• Use cover screen with access to all CSOS features while the phone is unfolded.
    • Keep the phone on your desk or bed in tent-style stand mode.
    • Cover screen stays on until you manually disable Flex Mode or fold back your phone.

DEVELOPMENT STATUS:

The OS requires some heavy sustained development effort to deliver a feature complete version. The OS has come a long way and it’s mostly stable now as reported by majority of the users on Z Flip 3.

CoverScreen OS IN ACTION:

SNAPS OF Z FLIP 3 RUNNING CoverScreen OS (Waiting for physical access to Z Flip 4 for fresh photos):

launcher.jpeg
    Edge Lighting.jpeg

Quick Toggles.png
    New Music Screen 2.jpg
    Caller ID Screen.jpg
    Keyboard.png

Stocks Widgets.png
    T9.png

Notification Actions.png
    Custom Calendar Widgets.png

Quick Toggles 4.png

THE ORIGIN STORY:

Been working on this project since the original Z Flip, but unfortunately had to suspend development due to cracked screen (that countless folding/unfolding while testing.)
    Z Flip 3 crack 1.jpeg

The release of Z Flip 3 with a bigger cover screen was enough incentive for me to be excited about the project once again but unfortunately I again hit a bottleneck as the screen started bleeding this streak of green light right at the center and sometimes whole of second half.
    Z Flip 3 crack 2.jpeg

Z Flip 3 crack 3.png

Fearing a cracked screen once again, I had suspended the development yet again… but… that cute little cover screen… here we are. :)
    I agree with you. Dev makes a reasonable point that the user adaption for z flip is low and plus for this app would be much lower but the price for a user is quite steep.

I could buy 2-4 apps using at the same price for this one.
    And especially so since the app is listed as “Beta”.
    👎🤦‍♂️
    I am trialling the free version of csos so maybe that is why. But no, I have tested it quite a bit and I can only seem to add a custom quick toggle that basically acts like a widget. I need to have bixby routines turned on to be able to add the quick toggle. And it will only turn on or off a specific routines. Not actually turn routines itself on or off.

Hi again! I am still confused with your query! Do you mean, you want to be able to turn on/off the feature 'Bixby Routines' itself? (Like, from the Quick Toggles on main screen?) And if yes, why? What's the use case? Give me an example of what do you exactly want to accomplish, may be I will understand better then.

When I share live location on WhatsApp, the coverscreen shows on the screen that I'm sharing a live location and double tap, single tap, swipe (right and left) doesn't work at all.

Can you post screenshot of the cover screen when you do the location sharing? (You can take screenshot of cover screen while folded, screen turned on, power + Vol down.)

Hi Jagan2,
    Thank you for this great addition to Flip series. You really made a great use of the Small screen.
    However, I am wondering why do I need to login/share my account information in order to be able to use the app? A few apps that require users to login with their Google account to be able to actually use it (except apps that require login). So what's the reason behind this?

Hi there! You're welcome, glad that CSOS is able to make the cover screen more meaningful.

The login, originally was created to allow only a handful of users an 'early access' to the App, it continues to stay there to avoid unauthorized usage/tampering of the App itself besides for future ability to save and restore settings. Right now, the login doesn't actually access/use any information other than email address for verification of 'Support Dev Pack'.

Hi,

I've been using your app and loving it. I had issues with widgets not appearing on my Flip 4 but it was fixed in Beta 1.1, although after I got updated to Beta 1.4, I have the issue come up again and widgets won't show. Could you please fix that issue again? I will also be subscribing to the lifetime access once that's fixed.

Thanks.

Hi there! Did you try to restart phone? Everything should be working fine. Let me know how it goes.

I am thinking of getting a Z Flip and indeed this app is the only reason why I would even consider buying the phone. I tried the cover screen in the store and was utterly disappointed by how little Samsung made of the potential of the cover screen. I don't understand the discussion about spending 20 $ on your app if your app is what makes the phone worth any money.

I have a few questions, though:
    1) Will there at one point be more functions available on the Z Flip 4 than on the Flip 3? I am considering just buying a Flip 3 as they are heavily discounted right now.
    2) Will there be at some point the possibility to use any keyboard on the cover screen? I use Messagease which seems perfect for such a small screen. It is as compact as a T9 but allows for super fast typing.
    3) When trying the Z Flip in the store, I couldn't use the hardware buttons to take a picture using the cover screen but had to use the touchscreen. The hardware buttons could turn on the camera but not take a picture. Does your app allow to remap the volume keys to take a picture? If no, do you think it is a change that is doable?

Hi there! I am glad that you find the App worthy of the $20 for Z Flips!

Responding to your questions,
    1. I can't comment behalf of Samsung ofcourse, but, I don't think software wise there is going to be any massive difference in features especially with respect to the cover screen.
    2. There is a possibility, but it requires few tweaking from Samsung itself, which I highly doubt they will do (atleast not with Z Flip3/4). So for all practical purposes, CSOS keyboard is the best you could get for the lifetime of Z Flips.
    3. You can indeed press the volume down button to take pictures on cover screen.

UPDATE: beta_9.2

What's new?​

• Fixed widgets auto-scaling issue permanently!

Download options:​

If you enjoy using the App, please leave a review on Google Play Store, it will greatly help the development of the project. Stay tuned for more updates! Cheers! 🙂

STAY UPDATED:​

Join CoverScreen OS's official updates news channel
    Join CoverScreen OS's official discussion/group channel

NAVIGATION SYSTEM:

1660658242035.png

1660658252895.png

1660658261026.png

1660658307546.png

1660658325794.png

1660658334674.png

1660658345144.png

DOWNLOAD:​

After thousands of unfolding/unfolding, happy to announce that, beta version of CoverScreen OS is now available for open testing on Google Play store!

If you find CSOS meaningful for your Z Flip 3/4, please leave a review on Google Play Store!

STAY UPDATED:​

Join CoverScreen OS's official updates news channel
    Join CoverScreen OS's official discussion/group channel