Question CPH2173 firmware updates

Search This thread

Mackay53

Apr 1, 2011
Edinburgh
OPPO Find X5 Pro
I am with you on the update buddy. Flagship phones should be updated regularly, that is partly why we pay the big bucks.

Just a quick update, I just received the 524MB update after giving up and not checking it for a couple of days. I was on CPH2173CPW_11_A. 15.

If software updates are part of the reason you buy a phone then you wouldn't of got an Oppo

abdulhamid1978

Nov 10, 2011
Samsung Galaxy S5
OnePlus 6
If software updates are part of the reason you buy a phone then you wouldn't of got an Oppo
Buddy, lack of support is why I previously stayed away from OPPO. Recently they promised monthly security updates:

And also up to Android 13:

It was not the only reason for me. I got it for £600, much cheaper than the OnePlus 9.

In any case I am not too concerned as I did not pay the £1,000+ launch price and the phone is very snappy.

Chippy_boy

Aug 29, 2016
Did anyone manage to gain access to your phone and empty your bank account while you waited for the latest security patch?
Is that the standard of debate around here really? Good grief.

"I've smoked for 30 years and haven't got cancer, so I don't see what the big deal is"???

Might as well just switch off your wifi security, virus scanner and firewall whilst you're at it. You'll probably be OK.

Last edited:

Mackay53

Apr 1, 2011
Edinburgh
OPPO Find X5 Pro

"I've smoked for 30 years and haven't got cancer, so I don't see what the big deal is"???

Might as well just switch off your wifi security, virus scanner and firewall whilst you're at it. You'll probably be OK.

You've got a higher chance of getting cancer smoking than someone hacking your phone on security patches a few months behind so yes it's no big deal

Reactions: Guest69

Chippy_boy

Aug 29, 2016
You've got a higher chance of getting cancer smoking than someone hacking your phone on security patches a few months behind so yes it's no big deal

You're really not getting this are you. How many OPPO phones are there out there? Some poor sods will doubtless fall victim to some hack or other which could have been avoided were the patches to be more timely. Were that not the case, then there would be zero point in Google even bothering to patch them.

That you may get lucky is no doubt f*** all consolation to the unlucky ones. Honestly, were it not so spiteful of me, I might find myself hoping that could be you. But I am not like that, so I will merely say "good luck".

Mackay53

Apr 1, 2011
Edinburgh
OPPO Find X5 Pro
You're really not getting this are you. How many OPPO phones are there out there? Some poor sods will doubtless fall victim to some hack or other which could have been avoided were the patches to be more timely. Were that not the case, then there would be zero point in Google even bothering to patch them.

That you may get lucky is no doubt f*** all consolation to the unlucky ones. Honestly, were it not so spiteful of me, I might find myself hoping that could be you. But I am not like that, so I will merely say "good luck".
I do get it which is why I couldn't care much about them. More chance of getting ran over leaving house than someone getting hacked. Are you brave enough to leave house? Maybe do a risk assessment before leaving it?

Do stupid things on phone, win stupid prizes.

Just get a pixel if you're so anal about it the latest patches.

Chippy_boy

Aug 29, 2016
Just get a pixel if you're so anal about it the latest patches.

Back to the 5 year old debating skills I see.

Or guess what, here's an idea. How about the manufacturer of a brand new, flagship £1,000+ phone could actually release the patches not 3 months late? Just a ****ing thought, like.

I am not "anal" about them. Just security conscious, as you obviously are not.

stuclark

May 15, 2006
London, UK
OK - time to stop the previous "debates" and replies which aren't helping a wider audience. We're here to discuss firmwares for the phone, nothing else!

I received .17 on my UK unbranded phone over the weekend. I can't say I've noticed any huge changes in battery use (either up or down) and haven't seen any other issues.

What I can say is Android Auto seems more reliable than it was, but I haven't done exhaustive testing yet

Chippy_boy

Aug 29, 2016
We should be united, not fighting like teenagers!
I agree. And none of the argument would have occurred had a couple of posters not waded in with comments suggesting lack of firmware updates did not matter. The thread is supposed to be about firmware updates, not some daft debate about whether they are important or not.

Mackay53

Apr 1, 2011
Edinburgh
OPPO Find X5 Pro
I agree. And none of the argument would have occurred had a couple of posters not waded in with comments suggesting lack of firmware updates did not matter. The thread is supposed to be about firmware updates, not some daft debate about whether they are important or not.

They don't really matter and it wasn't an argument, just sharing opinions. If you thought that was an argument then you're a but too fragile

Reactions: Guest69 and krank8

maxellxl

May 1, 2017
If you did not start moaning about lack of updates with security patches this exchange of opinions wouldnt have started

Jorgo-Bo

Dec 5, 2011
Herne
The Google security updates you get with Google Play System Updates under security.
That should fix the most serious issues (1.6.). (IMHO)

1gorelo

Apr 13, 2014
Mod edit:
Good afternoon!

Is it possible to flash this model of device to another region?
Добрый день!
Можно ли прошить эту модель устройства в другой регион?

Last edited by a moderator:

Guest69

Aug 26, 2006
Harrogate
OPPO Find X3 Pro

Hmm, not really comparable.
Back to the 5 year old debating skills I see.

Or guess what, here's an idea. How about the manufacturer of a brand new, flagship £1,000+ phone could actually release the patches not 3 months late? Just a ****ing thought, like.

I am not "anal" about them. Just security conscious, as you obviously are not.
Sorry, you can't leave comments like you have above, then accuse someone who disagrees of having a child's debating skills!! That's just oxymoronic. Sorry if you want to take that as an insult, it really isn't, it's just an opinion, but some people are so quick to go on the offensive when faced with a difference of opinion on something so trivial as a late update.
We're all doomed, the human race I mean. The lateness of a monthly update is simply not, in any sense, comparable to the analogies you choose, ie purposefully turning off all protection. Out of decency, I'm not even going to comment on the smoking and cancer reference.
People come here for advice, community and to help others with the knowledge and experience that you have that they might not have.
I get the point about someone somewhere might get hacked or worse, but really, we'd best ban cars, planes and getting out of bed in the morning.
How about anyone that is that concerned puts their phone on flight mode until OPPO pulls it's finger out and we can all sleep soundly again, safe in the knowledge that their security patch has finally saved that one person's tiktok password being published worldwide. Oh hell, I'd best sign off, I'm being incredibly childish, sorry peeps

lance2010

Apr 14, 2009
right beside you
Hello,

need support from you
does anybody got the rom file for the color os 12
the exact version i'm seaching for is CPH2173_11_C.41

thanks for any reply

Chippy_boy

Aug 29, 2016
Yep, good point. "The moon doesn't exist" is a false statement, nothing to do with opinion or objectivity. "The moon is too bright" is an opinion and is open for discussion, unless Chippyboy is in the room, then it's gloves off 😁
Sorry this is nonsense.

opinion
/əˈpɪnjən/

noun: opinion; plural noun: opinions
a view or judgement formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

I can certainly have the opinion that 2 + 2 = 7. That could be what I think, not based upon fact, and that opinion would be wrong.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The above is really quite an idiotic post.

Where exactly did I say I would like to be careless with my security? I am *hyper* security conscious, for reasons I need not go into. You should be too!

That is why I would like to ensure that known Android insecurities are patched, if such patches are available. That you are happy for insecurities to exist, and to run without the patches, without a care in the world? Well that says a lot.
    Where exactly did I say specifically you would like to be careless with your security? Read my previous post again - I did not say that and I did not mean to offend you. If you are selfaware user thats good, this is unfortunately not common among others.

Im just saying that I cannot understand why people are soooo demanding about these security updates since they dont even know what google is fixing with them...if there is a high risk we would have already seen articles/news how google ****ed up with the security.

So basically a month or two delay with getting a security update is no harm for you...believe me. If something bad happen specifically with your phone due to lack of latest security patch - its like winning a lottery ticket.

As a software engineer I can assure you that your banking apps/financial portals are more insecure than google.

Moreover in general software build by developers contains many external libraries developed by many other developers...basically at each level/component you can have security issue or security bug raised and this bug can wait months to be fixed by the dev teams - you know why? Cause the chance of using this security vulnerability is close to 0 or they just dont have time to fix it.

Of course every software (especially in banking sector) has to go through security scanning, only the HIGH risk elements have to be fixed. Medium and Minor ones can be fixed later with no rush.
    Buddy, lack of support is why I previously stayed away from OPPO. Recently they promised monthly security updates:

And also up to Android 13:

It was not the only reason for me. I got it for £600, much cheaper than the OnePlus 9.

In any case I am not too concerned as I did not pay the £1,000+ launch price and the phone is very snappy.
    If you did not start moaning about lack of updates with security patches this exchange of opinions wouldnt have started
    A17 version with May security patch is available so patience.

Let me ask u a question...why these security patches are SO important to you? You know that the chance that someone or something will use some android bugs to get to your bank account are close to ZERO...

Well said, I've never understood why people are so desperate for an update that they won't even notice a difference with.

Oppo could release an update with 0 changes and they'd want it
    I'm also in the UK, on an unbranded phone bought directly from Oppo (I've got CPW in the firmware code as well)

Still on the March security update as shown in the first screenshot