[CPU Governor Tweaks][AOSP/CM][Llama Sweet] Reduce Lag and Improve Battery Life

rav101

Dec 1, 2013
Walsall
Hi all,

Following on from discussions in the Llama Sweet thread, I have created a specific thread to focus discussion relating to Governor tweaking specifically relating to this kernel. Over time, the intention is to develop a repository of settings for various governors that will achieve a desired outcome (battery, performance or balance of the two). If you are unsure about what we are talking about, I would advise you read the following thread [REF][GUIDE]Most up to date guide on CPU governors and I/O schedulers

Requirements:
1) Rooted LG G4
2) CM13 or AOSP ROM
3) Llama Kernel (these profiles may work on other kernels if the governors and tuneables are present.. You will need to do your research)

Get your benchmark:
1) Install Kernel Adiutor (Play Store)
2) Install testing apps (such as GSAM battery monitor for battery life and Antutu for performance)
3) Use your phone under the "stock" settings and measure using your preferred testing apps to gauge a baseline for battery life and/or performance

Try new Profiles:
I have simplified this thread as there are many others who have been creating profiles or scripts to achieve the same results. Given that we pretty much have the same hardware as the Nexus 5x I have referenced Alcolawl's fantastic work.

1) Go to the following google sheets and download whichever profile you wish to test. They can be found here.
2) It might be useful to reference . (descriptions can be found in this post) to find out the descriptions for what each profile is.
3) Additionally, that post will give you the detailed instructions for how to install the profile, either through EX Kernel Manager if you have paid for it, or through terminal if you are using the free bash script option.

Code:
/*  *** Disclaimer
* Your warranty is now void.
* I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, thermonuclear war, 
* or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please do some research 
* if you have any concerns about the implications of tweaking governors
* before applying these settings! YOU are choosing to make these modifications,
* and if you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
* BOOM goes the Dynamite
What else can you do:

Well simply put there is a lot. Without going in to all the detail, I will link below the various places when you can get the right information from people a lot more knowledgable than me!

Get a (Battery) Life! Every possible way to save your battery
0% [0.0%/h] Idle Battery Drain on Stock ROM
Extreme Battery Life Thread(Greenify+Amplify+Power Nap)

Thanks to:
@genesixxbf3 (Llama Sweet)
@soniCron (Advanced Interactive Governor Tweaks)
@Alcolawl (Scripts

Attachments

Last edited:

rav101

Dec 1, 2013
Walsall
Results:

soniCron Stable v2:

TBP

soniCron Alpha Butterfly:

Test environment: RR 12 01 2016, Llama Sweet R3+ (without xposed and therefore Amplify because I forgot to flash it)
Battery Life: 5 hours 4 minutes

Comments: I think with Amplify I would be at roughly similar battery life or maybe slightly better than Llama's previous stock governor settings. However, the phone was a lot smoother during my useage with the Butterfly settings. Other's might get different results but I was definitely very happy with this set up.

Last edited:
Reactions: MSephiroth

dd0s

Oct 24, 2009
You can upload the profiles.json file to put it directly into Kernel Adiutor.
A link to the kernel would also be great.
Gesendet von meinem LG-H815 mit Tapatalk

genesixxbf3

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 16, 2014
Le Havre
What I meant is the thread should be only dedicated to my kernel only
Edit thanks it'll be better for users

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Darkmasterhk

Dec 28, 2012
Kassel
Thanks,

I already had it set on my phone so I have just shared that one :)
you can also use the scripts by @Alcolawl from here
i used them to set up v2.

i don't know if it's just me but Kernel Adiutor shows me the frequencies for big cluster in small cluster settings, so i can't set e.g. the highspeed freq. to 460MHz.

Ps.: in op you misspelled Adiutor^^

Reactions: Alcolawl and rav101

rav101

Dec 1, 2013
Walsall
you can also use the scripts by @Alcolawl from here
i used them to set up v2.

i don't know if it's just me but Kernel Adiutor shows me the frequencies for big cluster in small cluster settings, so i can't set e.g. the highspeed freq. to 460MHz.

Ps.: in op you misspelled Adiutor^^
Thanks for the spelling mistake. This has been updated.

I need to have a look at the scripts. Because they are setup for different kernels on a different rom, I do not know if they include tweaks to features that are not on our phone (I'm thinking touchboost for example). If you can confirm there is not ill effect in doing this, then I will link in OP, or use to get additional settings into the profile.zip.

With regards to the big cluster and small cluster settings. I have noticed this too. You can do it correctly in EX Kernel Manager however this is a pay for app so not everyone will have it.

Reactions: Darkmasterhk

Darkmasterhk

Dec 28, 2012
Kassel
Thanks for the spelling mistake. This has been updated.

I need to have a look at the scripts. Because they are setup for different kernels on a different rom, I do not know if they include tweaks to features that are not on our phone (I'm thinking touchboost for example). If you can confirm there is not ill effect in doing this, then I will link in OP, or use to get additional settings into the profile.zip.

With regards to the big cluster and small cluster settings. I have noticed this too. You can do it correctly in EX Kernel Manager however this is a pay for app so not everyone will have it.
yeah they include touchboost, but changing the variable will just return an error,because the file doesn't exist in this kernel.
the other files are the same.
it turns off thermal hotplug, but also makes sure freq throttling is active, so no real risk here. plus you can turn it back on using kernel adiutor.
i'm not sure why they use throttling only, but even after multiple (even with oc) antutu runs my phone kept being stable.

edit:
yeah i know about eleX app (i have it too), i just wanted to make sure if this is a common error.^^

rav101

Dec 1, 2013
Walsall
OP has been updated.

I am currently testing battery life on crazy butterfly. If people test any of these settings, can you please post up GSAM and Antutu results along with information about what ROM you are using and other relevant settings.

rav101

Dec 1, 2013
Walsall
Cant read zip file. Broken?

Hi @dd0s,

As per step one (referenced below) can you please rename the file to "profiles.json"

Try new Profiles:
1) Save the attached "profiles.zip" to your phone and rename it to "profiles.json"

If it is easier, I can either:
1) rename the file to something like profiles.pdf and instruct people to change to profiles.json
2) Actually zip the "profiles.json" file and upload it
3) Upload the "profiles.json" file to drive or another cloud sharing site

I have currently taken this approach because I can not upload this file directly to XDA as is, because there is a restriction on the file types that can be uploaded.

dd0s

Oct 24, 2009
Hi @dd0s,

As per step one (referenced below) can you please rename the file to "profiles.json"

Try new Profiles:
1) Save the attached "profiles.zip" to your phone and rename it to "profiles.json"

1) rename the file to something like profiles.pdf and instruct people to change to profiles.json

I have currently taken this approach because I can not upload this file directly to XDA as is, because there is a restriction on the file types that can be uploaded.
My Fault.

the-erazer

Sep 15, 2008
Wanne-Eickel
Hi @dd0s,

Try new Profiles:

I think it is easy to extract it... Renaming can confuse... Just my opinion

Edit: it is always good to have a default profile like original kernel settings. So its easy within the time for set on Boot to set it back to default if something didnt work.. Just in case

Last edited: