Cracked Camera Glass. Another build quality issue?

Search This thread

jackwu95

Nov 7, 2012
I've had my One from Rogers Canada since launch day last Friday.
I've been reading all the issues here about the build qualities of this phone. Mine has a hair gap on the top and the screen also rises slightly at the top edge. I've decided that these were ok and happily used my phone with great care.

No I do not have a case, and neither did I use a case for my previous Samsung Infuse which I used 2 years without dropping it ever.

Today when I turned my One over, the camera glass was cracked! It looks like it got hit somewhere and just gave in. Seems pretty impossible as the rest of the phone is in perfect condition without a single scratch. I keep the phone in my pocket top down, screen facing inwards as I always have in the last few years.

This is so frustrating...I'm afraid if I get an exchange I'll end up with one or more of the several build issues that people have been seeing.
Crack.png

gtg465x

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 16, 2008
Probably wasn't a high impact hit. You probably leaned on the corner of a table or something without realizing it and the pressure from the corner was focused all on that point.

jackwu95

Nov 7, 2012
The do not believe that I should be held responsible for this glass. It should point to the fact that the glass might have been fractured slightly so that slight pressure pushed it in from the beginning.

The argument is that I have used this phone for 3 days, taking exceptional care of it, and ended up with a cracked camera glass as opposed of my previous phone, which I used for 2 years and doesn't have a dent in its plastic, let alone cracked glass.

Also, why be so offensive Mr insomnia? Is the fact that the One's build quality is way lower than expected hurting your fanboy heart?

Element515

Jun 26, 2011
even if you didn't do this, You're going to have a hell of a time proving it. You very well could have just leaned on it too hard during the day and put pressure on the glass. You need a real friendly service rep to accept the possibility there was a previous fracture

Reactions: jackwu95

jackwu95

Nov 7, 2012
10 years ago if this were a psp or gameboy we all knew we were sh1t out of luck and that it was our own fault. We "deserve" nothing.

Clowns

Times have changed, customers expect more because companies are providing more. If I can get better quality service why would I settle for less?

Also, phones shouldn't be designed with cases in mind. I shouldn't need to have a case for my phone to prevent camera glass shattering through normal daily use.

I'm heading back to the store tomorrow and see if I get a nice rep to help me. I'll let you guys know

Reactions: Sensation-al!

mettleh3d

Oct 16, 2011
Times have changed, customers expect more because companies are providing more. If I can get better quality service why would I settle for less?

Also, phones shouldn't be designed with cases in mind. I shouldn't need to have a case for my phone to prevent camera glass shattering through normal daily use.

I'm heading back to the store tomorrow and see if I get a nice rep to help me. I'll let you guys know

Are you 14?

thegregulator

Dec 6, 2010
Vancouver

Move along. For all we know OP may have raised an important point. Just because you don't believe him doesn't mean he's at fault. If you don't have anything relevant to contribute then beat it.

OP, keep us posted. I haven't run across anything like that with my device. Do you use the phone to the point where it gets quite hot?

Sent from my HTC One using xda premium

fidelcstrl

Mar 13, 2013
You're not the only one having this problem. One guy on a french forum had exactly the same thing, he couldn't explain it.

Here's his picture of the cracked camera lens :

dsc00669lw.jpg

Last edited:

jackwu95

Nov 7, 2012
Move along. For all we know OP may have raised an important point. Just because you don't believe him doesn't mean he's at fault. If you don't have anything relevant to contribute then beat it.

OP, keep us posted. I haven't run across anything like that with my device. Do you use the phone to the point where it gets quite hot?

Sent from my HTC One using xda premium

Thanks! Don't worry though, I'm trying to point out this problem and see if anyone else has similar experiences and we can pinpoint an issue.
I don't game on phones at all, so my device usually stays quite cool. It does warm up a bit after ~10 minutes of screen time but I doubt that could cause any issues.

You're not the only one having this problem. One guy on a french forum had exactly the same thing, he couldn't explain it.
That is interesting, thanks for sharing this, I'm looking out to see if anyone else is seeing this.

Just in case this starts happening more, my phone is from batch FA346W
Was raining the whole day today so didn't go to the store, will update once I do

Hunt3r.j2

Jun 6, 2011
Hm, might have been that the phone got hot enough to make the metal expand faster than the glass....

xSp0r3x

Apr 5, 2013
Not that I doubt you on for your mishap. But knowing Rogers and their ways - my family has been with them since they were still AT&T - you will need hell of a lot of explaining to convince the CSR to make them comply to your exchange request. And online sources won't make much of a statement in their mind. Try play the loyalty card and plead for forgiveness.

As to the picture above, it seems more like an impact hit as the glass seems to fracture in the center of the piece and the cracks don't extend to the edge.

simba2585

Jul 12, 2008
Hi OP,

not meaning to be patronising but the glass is more brittle than the casing with lower impact resistance. so a load that might not necessarily damage the casing will more than likely damage the glass. the chances that the damage is simply contained to the glass region though is odd and one would expect there to be at least some signs of wear/ scratches etc even close to this region as in a typical case.

the main thing is how it happened which appears to be the mystery and the exchange will ultimately be based on this. looking at your picture it looks like an impact dead on the centre of the glass from the outside in. hard to be totally certain considering your pic.

i cant think of a viable scenario though other than something along the lines in my first paragraph considering the metal is in perfect condition.

i would just tell them what you have stated.

Last edited:

nab195

Apr 25, 2013
Hi OP,

I had exactly the same problem. My unit was only a day old with not a single blemish anywhere on the handset besides the crack on the camera. In fact I'm fairy certain it cracked whilst resting on my table which I found to be very odd. Anyway I did manage to get a replacement with very little hassle.

A note to some other users:

In an incident such as this the consumer is entitled to a refund or replacement or a repair depending how old the item is since purchase. There is even further statutory protection specifically under the sale of goods act. This is an expensive (£500) phone and as such it's quality and durability should be commensurate to the price paid. Thus if the OP can establish the crack happened without having dropped the phone or damaging the phone in some other way then he will be entitled to a replacement which seems likely as there are no other scratches or dents anywhere else on the unit.

I am open to listening to others' opinions but should stress that I am a lawyer and therefore am quite knowledgable on matters such as this.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    it seem like has been hit by a bullet , maybe HTC One saved your life !
    The do not believe that I should be held responsible for this glass. It should point to the fact that the glass might have been fractured slightly so that slight pressure pushed it in from the beginning.

The argument is that I have used this phone for 3 days, taking exceptional care of it, and ended up with a cracked camera glass as opposed of my previous phone, which I used for 2 years and doesn't have a dent in its plastic, let alone cracked glass.

Also, why be so offensive Mr insomnia? Is the fact that the One's build quality is way lower than expected hurting your fanboy heart?
    Not to barge in but:

White Samsung Galaxy S III back cover cracking for no reason [source]

Samsung Galaxy S Camera lens cracking for no reason [source]

Samsung Galaxy S III screen cracking in pocket [source]

HTC 8X len cracked for no reason [source]

Nokia Lumia 900 dust under lens for no reason [source]

iPhone 4 camera lens disappears for no reason [source]

My Point: the issue is mass production, any phone could have this issue or similar ones. Under the right conditions anything breaks. However I am also not ruling out we may have a material issue. But I also want to note, manufactures use a lot of the same components and use the same factory (Foxxcon is quite popular) to make the phones. So saying I am gonna buy another brands phone because they aren't gonna have any issues is just not being realistic. Its usually the luck of the draw. Only thing you can do is pray it holds up to be honest.
    Hi OP,

I had exactly the same problem. My unit was only a day old with not a single blemish anywhere on the handset besides the crack on the camera. In fact I'm fairy certain it cracked whilst resting on my table which I found to be very odd. Anyway I did manage to get a replacement with very little hassle.

A note to some other users:

In an incident such as this the consumer is entitled to a refund or replacement or a repair depending how old the item is since purchase. There is even further statutory protection specifically under the sale of goods act. This is an expensive (£500) phone and as such it's quality and durability should be commensurate to the price paid. Thus if the OP can establish the crack happened without having dropped the phone or damaging the phone in some other way then he will be entitled to a replacement which seems likely as there are no other scratches or dents anywhere else on the unit.

I am open to listening to others' opinions but should stress that I am a lawyer and therefore am quite knowledgable on matters such as this.
    Please don't compare HTC to apple they are way out of their league in customer service and quality control. HTC probably have the worst assembly quality on earth. The HTC one x had a million issues now the HTC one also does and the funny thing is the htc one is a very expensive premium device, people want what they pay for. This is one reason why I like Nokia their devices don't break easily unlike HTC devices which get scraches just by some pocket lint or sand. They need to up their game or people will not trust them and will buy other devices.

People keep saying don't buy the first batch becuase they all have some form of defect, why should'nt they? It's not our problem if their first batch have issues it's theirs, other companies also have defects like HTC but not to their large extent especially when they make fewer devices compared to apple who sell millions. The people who buy the first batch are the ones who anticipate for the handsets launch and who preorder it known as loyal customers and for them to receive defects is really poor. I feel sorry for all those people who have spent their hard earned money on expensive defected phones which then took them another week or month to get a replacement while other people who buy from Sony, samsung and apple are to busy enjoying their flawless devices. :(

Sent from my HTC One X using xda app-developers app