Cracked Glass (camera cover)

Search This thread

DjLukeW

Jul 14, 2010
Stoke-On-Trent
Today I had the M9 in a window mount for GPS. After arriving, I took it from the holder to see the sapphire glass had a big crack through it. This phone is 6 days old, hasnt been dropped or anything. Always in a case and always in an inside pocket or on the sofa arm in my house when not in my hand.

Attachments

• IMG-20150405-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20150405-WA0000.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 4,602
Reactions: Beyondcr

Duncan1982

Feb 6, 2014
That's not good & one would expect the sapphire to hold up to even high temperatures.

Insurance & or return for replacement.

Jonathan-H

Sep 27, 2014
Looks like the case is scratched and the camera glass looks like it has an impact point on it..

DjLukeW

Jul 14, 2010
Stoke-On-Trent
It definately isnt or hasnt. I sed to work in mobile retail so I know excactly how it looks and sounds. But can guarantee that it nothing has impacted it.

Also IRL the crack is perfect and there is no impact point visible

badboy47

Nov 23, 2009
Were you climbing trees? Bro you must be like Tarzan. Sorry to hear that.

jdunker26

Jan 2, 2011
That's crazy. The sapphire glass on that is supposed to be tougher than gorilla glass.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using XDA Free mobile app

BillTheCat

Jun 17, 2008
Milford, PA
I'm not am expert in this area, but don't assume too much about sapphire. Though its very scratch resistant due to its hardness, it is also very brittle, and can easily chip or crack especially when impacted on an edge or corner.

jdunker26

Jan 2, 2011
Did not know that. Thanks for the info. I really don't want a case but I might have to buy one.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using XDA Free mobile app

r3dJuice

Jul 17, 2010
You aren't the only one to have this happen to their M9 friend. I was lucky enough to be a part of the HTC champions program and have had the HTC m9 since before it was available to buy. Somehow or another the glass on my camera lens cracked as well. The device had previously never been dropped (was in a case) and at the time was in a box. I'm now wondering if the glass is cracking due to some sort of heat issue.

I had to use the "uh-oh" insurance to have repaired unfortunately.

Beyondcr

Sep 16, 2011
York
My htc one m9 dev edition was always in a case from day one never dropped or mishandled , I have been looking at the camera glass every time I put it down because of this post and I always lay it down on the face of the screen because temper glass protector and case keeps it from touching the table. I just came back to my phone and there is a clean crack from top to bottom almost in the center of the camera glass. :( Now I don't know what to do I ordered directly from HTC I guess I will be contacting them, I love the phone but I am not to happy about this.

update: Chatting with HTC Support they have no knowledge of this issue.

update: Only option given was to use my uhoh protection, I declined because if this is a common problem it should be fixed and what if it happens again, having reference number made so I can contact a supervisor when I get home.

update: 1-866-449-8358 is the number HTC has given me and it sends me directly to a operator saying to check the number and try again, I have really started to dislike this whole experience and seeing how its still under 30 days that I just got off the phone with their third party order center Digital River they said I will receive a shipping label in a few days to mail the device back, I really don't want to go to another device but after this I might, if I do stay with the One m9 Ill just order through my carrier to make a much less painless return if it happens again, but after all the wasted time there are other devices from manufactures that I never had any problems with.

Last edited:

pakilicious

Feb 14, 2013
My M9 camera cracked too

Hey guys, my camera cracked as well after 2 days of owning it with no sort of mishandling it at all. I just pulled it out once and noticed the camera is cracked. It would be really nice of HTC to recognize it is faulty hardware & offer to replace it for M9 owners...

Beyondcr

Sep 16, 2011
York
Well I am jumping ship, even though I really like this phone, I feel the company is becoming a joke, all tech support can do via chat is issue a uhoh protection and good luck reaching htc in the USA, seems they must have forgot to pay the phone bill. This issue needs to be proven and known but I am not going to spend my money on quality testing, hopefully they will revise the part, but without enough people complaining I doubt anything will be done. It almost feels like it is intentional to get us out of the uhoh protection. :(

joobie21

Jan 22, 2014
Cleveland
Same thing happened to my phone a few weeks ago. I let my phone charge overnight, woke up & it was blazing hot. I thought nothing of it. I was looking at my phone & noticed a clean crack on the lens. I sent it back and it wasn't counted as a UH-OH protection. That's a plus.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    i have replaced my broken sapphire camera glass with a replacement from aliexpress, sadly while it works perfectly in terms of image quality it gets scratched so easily now (untreated plastic cover)

the replacement was super easy, i've removed the glass with a sharp pointed clip and then i used a tiny screwdriver like the one you use for glasses and scratched the original glue behind the glass, once its smooth i placed the new lens cover (you remove the white layer from the back revealing the glue) sadly the glue was very weak and so i placed four dots of super glue on the four corners (the best way to do it is just to place the tube tip but not squeeze the tube, this will leave a tiny dot) and then the rest was smooth, note that as reported the replacement didnt perfectly fit but thanks to my glue dots i was able to raise it from one side against the other (top) its better than messily cutting the cover for fitting, the end result is very clean look

but i strongly advice to place a camera protector on top of the new cover as it scratches as easy as the old HTC diamond plastic screen

CVtUMjFWEAEJAud.jpg:large

CVtUJ7LWoAEvPIy.jpg:large

CVtUMLdWUAAo5tx.jpg:large

CVtULfEWoAA2qBg.jpg:large

CVtUrqGXAAANdEc.jpg:large

CVtUrhdWoAEZHIU.jpg:large

CVtUrGoWcAApGOA.jpg:large
    Today I had the M9 in a window mount for GPS. After arriving, I took it from the holder to see the sapphire glass had a big crack through it. This phone is 6 days old, hasnt been dropped or anything. Always in a case and always in an inside pocket or on the sofa arm in my house when not in my hand.
    That's not good & one would expect the sapphire to hold up to even high temperatures.

Insurance & or return for replacement.

No insurance on it so far, but will be popping back to the store ASAP. Ive always loved HTC Build quality but this has left me baffled and frustrated
    You aren't the only one to have this happen to their M9 friend. I was lucky enough to be a part of the HTC champions program and have had the HTC m9 since before it was available to buy. Somehow or another the glass on my camera lens cracked as well. The device had previously never been dropped (was in a case) and at the time was in a box. I'm now wondering if the glass is cracking due to some sort of heat issue.

I had to use the "uh-oh" insurance to have repaired unfortunately.
    My M9 camera cracked too

Hey guys, my camera cracked as well after 2 days of owning it with no sort of mishandling it at all. I just pulled it out once and noticed the camera is cracked. It would be really nice of HTC to recognize it is faulty hardware & offer to replace it for M9 owners...