Question Crash and restart every 3 hours on September update

Search This thread

AliRAS

Aug 29, 2016
Manchester, GB
I have an Exynos S22+ which I got late April and it's always crashed and restarted since I set it up, especially after learning usage patterns. At first, I just thought it was software problems and didn't think much of it as it was max 2 times a day at worst then. It even stopped crashing for a few weeks after I did a clean flash of the August update through odin.

However, since last Sunday it started crashing again out of nowhere and ever since I updated to the September patch it reboots every 3 hours without fail especially once I start using it at the beginning of the day. I even did a clean install of the September update through odin and downloaded minimal apps and once again it rebooted at around 3hrs uptime as I was using it. I have literally just set it up and only changed basic settings.

6 months into security patches this shouldn't even be possible for such an expensive phone, that too after multiple factory resets and dozens of attempts at changing problematic settings. I am at my wits end with this phone and it has done nothing but frustrate me since day 1.

Any idea what I could do to fix this? Thinking of going back to august update so it stops annoying me every by crashing every few hours.

And could it be a motherboard or battery problem? And what is the likelihood Samsung will repair it if I tell them?

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Sounds like a memory leak although I never experienced one using Androids. Did you check for that? What's individual app memory and ram usage look like from crash cycle start to finish?
Developer options>running services

AliRAS

Aug 29, 2016
Manchester, GB
Have you tried running the phone in Safe Mode for a while and see if is happening?

You said you had a clean flash of August patch....you made a factory reset after flashing or what do you mean? Have you restored apps/data/settings from backups after flashing?
So I put the phone into safe mode and sure enough a few minutes after the 3hr mark the phone crashed and rebooted itself out of safe mode. I guess that rules out 3rd party apps causing it. What do you think i should do now?

And the August patch I just flashed it without home csc which ended up factory resetting the phone. I backed up phone log, messages, contacts, clock and voice recordings which I restored from samsung cloud.

AliRAS

Aug 29, 2016
Manchester, GB
Sounds like a memory leak although I never experienced one using Androids. Did you check for that? What's individual app memory and ram usage look like from crash cycle start to finish?
Developer options>running services
Not sure how I should analyse this memory leak could you explain a bit more? and is a memory leak serious? is there any way to fix it or is repairing under warranty my only option? as this happens in safe mode as well.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Not sure how I should analyse this memory leak could you explain a bit more? and is a memory leak serious? is there any way to fix it or is repairing under warranty my only option? as this happens in safe mode as well.
It's easy to find as it progressively uses more memory over the course of time until if large enough will crash the device eventually. Saw a buggy 3rd party app do it on an iPhone. Rebooting clears the ram and it would then restart its 3-4 hour countdown. Happens sometimes of Windows too. Almost always it's a poorly coded 3rd party app.

So simply look for an app that's memory usage steadily increases over time. You'll also see available ram space grow smaller and smaller. Unlike lame Apple, Android has better tools to help spot this.

raul6

Jan 26, 2009
It shouldn't be crashing like that. Take it back to Samsung and let them fix it while still under warranty

AliRAS

Aug 29, 2016
Manchester, GB
It's easy to find as it progressively uses more memory over the course of time until if large enough will crash the device eventually. Saw a buggy 3rd party app do it on an iPhone. Rebooting clears the ram and it would then restart its 3-4 hour countdown. Happens sometimes of Windows too. Almost always it's a poorly coded 3rd party app.

So simply look for an app that's memory usage steadily increases over time. You'll also see available ram space grow smaller and smaller. Unlike lame Apple, Android has better tools to help spot this.
According to device care the ram hasn't gone above 5gb the times I've looked at it. But surely this shouldn't be happening on safe mode? 3rd party apps aren't even available with it but it still crashes after about 3 hours.