• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Create flashable backup of phone in current state

Search This thread

MrGRiMv2

Nov 10, 2017
Hi, I have my phone rooted, magisk'd, xposed etc etc and with a lot of apps and tweaks done to it.

Is there any way at all I could make a flashable image of it instead of having to make a backup of it in TWRP and then restoring it from there? (The TWRP method has never failed me but I was just curious about whether the question below could be done)

I'd like to be able to have a copy of the entire phone as a backup on the PC so I could then flash the phone back to its current state (if I mess anything up) using SP Flash Tool? :confused:

Forgive me if this is a stupid question or a task so complicated that it would just be easier to continue using TWRP.

The reason I ask is if the TWRP backup on the phone gets corrupted somehow then I'd like a copy of the phone so I could restore using that.

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S III
HTC Thunderbolt
Hi, I have my phone rooted, magisk'd, xposed etc etc and with a lot of apps and tweaks done to it.

Is there any way at all I could make a flashable image of it instead of having to make a backup of it in TWRP and then restoring it from there? (The TWRP method has never failed me but I was just curious about whether the question below could be done)

I'd like to be able to have a copy of the entire phone as a backup on the PC so I could then flash the phone back to its current state (if I mess anything up) using SP Flash Tool? :confused:

Forgive me if this is a stupid question or a task so complicated that it would just be easier to continue using TWRP.

The reason I ask is if the TWRP backup on the phone gets corrupted somehow then I'd like a copy of the phone so I could restore using that.

You can store a copy of your TWRP backup on PC, then, if the backup that is stored on the device gets corrupted, you can use the copy that is stored on PC.

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk

MrGRiMv2

Nov 10, 2017
I have a copy of it on PC just in case, I thought I remembered reading a thread on here quite a few years back about creating a custom ROM from your existing installation with SPFlashtool or a similar program but it was so long ago that I might have mistaken it for another backup method.

Either way the TWRP backup is still quick enough to recover from and was thinking about the SPFlashtool way as an experiment. Thanks for replying.

ktmom

Retired Forum Moderator
Apr 22, 2015
Deep Space Station K7
You should be able to make partition image backups in TWRP. System, data and boot. Then you can Fastboot flash those partitions back.

I am not familiar with the MTK devices but it must be similar.

You can also use SuperR's kitchen to easily build a ROM from the images.

gopikrishnanrmg

Jan 17, 2020

Please check if this will help you out, I know it can save app, app data and roms. I used it on my device. Though some apps have problem using the app data which was backed up, most apps worked :D

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=balti.migrate&hl=en_US
https://forum.xda-developers.com/android/apps-games/app-migrate-custom-rom-migration-tool-t3862763

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S III
HTC Thunderbolt
Please check if this will help you out, I know it can save app, app data and roms. I used it on my device. Though some apps have problem using the app data which was backed up, most apps worked :D

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=balti.migrate&hl=en_US

https://forum.xda-developers.com/android/apps-games/app-migrate-custom-rom-migration-tool-t3862763

That is useless for what they are trying to do. That only backs up and restores user apps and user data, it helps you keep your data when switching ROMs. That doesn't help restore the system if the device gets corrupted.

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk

Yszty

Aug 4, 2021
Abstract:
Twrp have constant problem with encrypted data. The goal to achieve is make full backup of encrypted phone, when is unlocked, and be able copy on another same model of phone, and again encrypt it.

Same question here.
Im currently working on this.

Will update soon...
-`chiron` -> lineage-18.1-20210722
1. First try:

Code:
a) adb shell
b) su
c) dd if=/dev/block/by-name/system of=/mnt/sdcard/system.img
d) copied /mnt/sdcard/system.img to windows file system
e) dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/by-name/system (after that phone restarted and automaticly went into fastboot)
(adb exited)
f) fastboot flash system system.img
g) Flashed with success, system animation showing, but after longer time phone turning off.

Data looks to dumped correctly, but now question is how to restore it correctly? (i didnt check it well: todo)

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts