• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Cricket canceling 7T on their network?!! As of Feb 2022

Search This thread

jeffrimerman

Mar 4, 2007
Alhambra
I made a call and got a message that my phone would no longer work on their network since they are upgrading things. This phone isn't that old. I wonder if their system doesn't recognize it. The lady said their system was showing it was a 2g phone so I told her it handles 4g. She said on Cricket it's only able to use 3g. Does anyone know if this is true. I don't trust some operator in another country reading off a script. It sounded like they want everyone to buy phones from their website. I can't imagine a relatively new phone not having the right band. Maybe there is a setting I need to tweak or flash onto my phone if I'm only using 3g on Cricket. I'm sure I've seen my antenna say LTE. Or maybe Cricket is screening out non Cricket phones.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Check it's specs.
If it supports the needed 4G bands it may need to be reconfigured. I haven't a clue how to do that.
Maybe Access point names but it may go deeper than that.

jeffrimerman

Mar 4, 2007
Alhambra
I'm going to google and see exactly what specs Cricket will require. I think you're right and maybe something to reconfigure. I can't imagine Cricket shutting off tons of new ish phones just because they aren't bought from Cricket. Ran a speed test now and got 2.77mbps download and 8.49mbps upload. I am showing LTE now which means I'm not on 3g as she was saying now. I bet it's a sales gimmick to scare less savy folks. What mean loose phone signal in Feb hehehe.

Edit: I was on wifi when I got the message so maybe when I phone is on wifi and not using their LTE network it doesn't detect anything which is why they told me I have a 2g phone. When I shut off wifi LTE popped right up so it's probably a glitch in their way of informing us.

Edit2: Spoke to a tech at Cricket and he said my phone currently isn't compatible with them aaahahahhaha dumb. I told him I'm currently using it on LTE just fine no issues. He didn't have anything to say when I asked him since I'm not using 3g then it shouldn't affect me. He just said he wants me to have great service so buy another phone from Cricket. BS

Last edited:

jeffrimerman

Mar 4, 2007
Alhambra
Yes I
See the attachment above
Yes I was able to download that list when I googled. Judging by what it said these are phones that are tested and will work, not so much that other phones won't work. My phone was originally branded for Tmobile so I'm sure they wouldn't have tested it but it would have only had a different OS with Tmobile bloatware which I took off. The cricket people said their LTE isn't changing so I shouldn't have an issue but it will be interesting to find out. They must have just been looking at this list which is why they said my phone currently isn't compatible.

jeffrimerman

Mar 4, 2007
Alhambra
I read a discussion here from 2019 someone else asked and the different variants are by region as they usually are for the different LTE frequencies. 1905 is North American, 1907 is Tmobile in North America so I would imagine my LTE frequency is still going to be fine. Those that bought Chinese phones etc probably not.

jeffrimerman

Mar 4, 2007
Alhambra
This is weird. The current ad for it on Amazon says it's currently not compatible with ATT and Cricket. I wonder if me flashing another OS for North America or USA I forget is why it works fine? Maybe I'm screwed hehe

*** NOTE: Due to changes with AT&T and Cricket, this phone currently cannot be used on AT&T/Cricket. Compatible with T-Mobile and all GSM Networks along with their compatible MVNO networks such as Red Pocket GSM, Ultra Mobile, Mint Mobile, Ting GSM, Google FI and many others. This phone is NOT compatible with Verizon, Cricket or AT&T. Please verify with your network to ensure complete compatibility.

jtaylor991

Mar 24, 2011
Spoke to a tech at Cricket and he said my phone currently isn't compatible with them

I work at a prepaid carrier store (not Cricket) and am having to tell customers the same thing. It's not just about if your phone has the radios necessary, they have to have the IMEI approved in their system and if it's not then you can possibly escalate to someone who can help get it approved but you probably won't get very far. I can't activate my own OnePlus device with my company either, even though it's currently running on our parent network. I have spoken with internal support folks about it multiple times and have gotten nowhere so I gave up.

I can't imagine Cricket shutting off tons of new ish phones just because they aren't bought from Cricket.

Believe it. It sucks and it sounds insane but it's really happening. For me? I have to tell everyone with a Samsung Galaxy S5-S10 that they have to buy a new phone to be compatible with our new network changes. And I can tell you here that it's (probably) not the sales rep lying to you to make a commission sale, our tools are indeed forcing us to do that.

Reactions: jeffrimerman

jeffrimerman

Mar 4, 2007
Alhambra
I work at a prepaid carrier store (not Cricket) and am having to tell customers the same thing. It's not just about if your phone has the radios necessary, they have to have the IMEI approved in their system and if it's not then you can possibly escalate to someone who can help get it approved but you probably won't get very far. I can't activate my own OnePlus device with my company either, even though it's currently running on our parent network. I have spoken with internal support folks about it multiple times and have gotten nowhere so I gave up.

Believe it. It sucks and it sounds insane but it's really happening. For me? I have to tell everyone with a Samsung Galaxy S5-S10 that they have to buy a new phone to be compatible with our new network changes. And I can tell you here that it's (probably) not the sales rep lying to you to make a commission sale, our tools are indeed forcing us to do that.
I'm just wondering why they are saying my phone currently isn't compatible when it obviously is. It works great. Even streams HD in an instant on Crickets network. Corporations aren't super efficient at checking all things under the sun. They are just checking phones they approve. They told me the same thing that my imei currently doesn't work but it does. Unless they are trying to be like Verizon and only allow specific phones in the future I'm still thinking once they shut off 3g then when someone wants to switch from Tmobile to Cricket with their unlocked working fine non 3g phone they still can or are they saying no they are going to be like Verizon and it has to be a Cricket branded phone. I don't think it's the later. I think they are just saying what will work, but not saying what won't work. Let's find out =( hehe

jeffrimerman

Mar 4, 2007
Alhambra
Read a discussion from 8 months ago. Seems like most are fine, one guy with a 1905 had issues on ATT. One guy did what I did so maybe that's why mine is fine for now. I haven't had issues like dropped calls etc but maybe the real issue I will have if Cricket adds wifi calling and VoLTE is if they use a specific frequency and the 1907 is missing it then I won't be able to use those. If Cricket only uses VoLTE then yes I am screwed in February =/

https://www.reddit.com/r/oneplus/comments/kf0hfo
"I am currently using a 7t that was advertised as factory unlocked on ebay, when it showed up and I turned it on the big bright pink Tmobile boot logo came by. I did some research and found the convert to international/global thread on xda, I got rid of the crap hydrogen OS that came with the "unlocked" Tmobile phone. Using ADB I was able to flash the international firmware Oxygen OS and haven't had any problems with at&t now."

gpz1100

Nov 28, 2009
If it's an IMEI issue, flashing with the hd1905 fw probably won't help matters. I have a hd1905 on cricket since 2019, everything but wifi calling works. The same cricket sim in a samdung s9+ yields working wifi calling.

So while the hd1905 and 1907 are essentially the same hardware devices, the serial #/imei may determine what happens come 2022.

jeffrimerman

Mar 4, 2007
Alhambra
If it's an IMEI issue, flashing with the hd1905 fw probably won't help matters. I have a hd1905 on cricket since 2019, everything but wifi calling works. The same cricket sim in a samdung s9+ yields working wifi calling.

So while the hd1905 and 1907 are essentially the same hardware devices, the serial #/imei may determine what happens come 2022.
Yup, I'm wondering if the hardware or the IMEI will determine things. I didn't even know Cricket had wifi calling. Did Cricket even let you download the wifi calling app but it didn't work or did they not allow you to download it?

Edit: I looked it up. Looks like wifi calling will work on phones that have it built in to their OS settings. I probably won't use it if I end up buying another OnePlus phone. I wonder if there are any phones where wifi calling is working on Cricket that isn't on the list but is in the OS settings.

Last edited:

gpz1100

Nov 28, 2009
Wifi calling app? The s9+ was hybrid flashed. Everything but the main OS came from the U firmware (carrier), while the rom came from U1 fw. Result was working carrier features (volte/wifi calling) without the bloat.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Spoke to a tech at Cricket and he said my phone currently isn't compatible with them

I can't imagine Cricket shutting off tons of new ish phones just because they aren't bought from Cricket.