• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

CRT Animation [WORKING]

Search This thread

Hoppy96pgtbs

Aug 3, 2011
Wichita
You use the bootstrap recovery to flash this. You have to be plugged into the wall to reboot into recovery, but then you can flash it from an SD Card.

There is an app called system recovery you have to look for (not on the market). It is somewhere around the forums. After thats its easy as pie.

Thx! I have bootstrap recovery. Just gonna wait for eclipse V0.2, sounds promising and it'll have the animation

Sent from my DROID X2 using XDA App

religi0n

Jun 6, 2011
I have a question ... I have the crt animation but when I flashed the circle battery icon it took it away and vice versa is there a way I can have both?

X2RGB

This means that the circle batter icon uses framework-res. Each time you flash, framework-res is replaced. Both of the mods will have to be enabled in both. You will have to ask the circle battery icon author to add this in, or I will need the flashed zip for his mod.

religi0n

Jun 6, 2011
Oh idk I didn't see that in the OP. Because most crt mods effects both. But any way I just ran the zip and nothing happened. I'm on Virtuous Unity rom.

Transmitted from the Abyss using the HTC Glacier.

This is specific to the DX2. I don't know how you are on a virtuous unity rom or why you are sending this from an HTC phone...bad news.

Also I will look into the crt animation for an on effect. I am partial to that effect as well. I have a little time this weekend so I will pull the framework and theming from another cm7 phone.

Sent from my DROID X2 using XDA Premium App

Kevin M

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 31, 2011
kmark.io
I have noticed some very occasional system panics when I lock my phone at certain times, but I cannot replicate any of these instances to test. I'm not even sure if this is a direct result of the modification.

Overall it's an incredibly entertaining animation. Can't wait to show this off to my iPhone touting friends.

Sent from my DROID X2

Last edited:

mattfox27

Nov 12, 2010
Los Angeles
www.mkxtech.com
is there a neat zip update for the x anywhere? I looked and its kind of a messed up area with many diffrent options i couldn't find many that were just simple boot into recovery and install the ones that i did find seemed a little old or strange...

religi0n

Jun 6, 2011
I'm sure you can find some around. In fact, all this is a simple bools.xml edit in framework-res. You could even do it yourself if needed.

On the topic of CRT, I have been working on an ON/OFF CRT animation, but this is a lot more than xml edits. This relies on services.jar, and implementation and editing of different values and methods. It doesn't cause bootloop but I am puzzled as to why I am getting no animation (no crt or fade animation, instant off). Automatic brightness still works, but I don't know...I will try a few more things.

Just a quick update on whats happening next.

Reactions: Kevin M

Kevin M

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 31, 2011
kmark.io
Thanks for the update! Is there a way that I can have the lock sound play as the device is performing the animation? Right now, when I lock my phone, it runs through the CRT animation and only plays the lock sound after the screen is off.

Are other people having this "lag" issue or is it just me?

chip0

May 29, 2010
riverside ca
Im curious does this only do the animation when u turn off the screen? Or does it have the animation when u turn on the screen as well? And does it work with the eclipse rom?

mistawolfe

Nov 21, 2010
Im curious does this only do the animation when u turn off the screen? Or does it have the animation when u turn on the screen as well? And does it work with the eclipse rom?

Only screen off.

No need to flash with eclipse, as it is already built in.

Sent from my DROID X2 using xda premium

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    For those of you who don't know exactly what the CRT animation is, it is the animation that Gingerbread uses when you press the power button and the screen gives a neat power off effect.

Well I wanted this. A lot. So I went out and did it. Just enabled it, and it looks gorgeous on my phone.

Please note, that you must be rooted in order to use this, and on Gingerbread.

It is a straightforward process.
    PLEASE NOTE THIS REQUIRES ADB AND JAVA TO BE INSTALLED

A good idea to nandroid before this, as if something goes wrong it can screw up a lot of things.

Installation 1:
    Download DX2-CRT-Animation.zip
    Copy to sdcard
    Flash in CWR

BIG THANKS TO p3droid FOR PACKAGING AS A ZIP

Installation 2 (the complicated, make you feel cooler, hardcore, original way):
    This is modifying your framework-res so some themes may not work any longer.
    Instructions:
    []Have phone plugged into computer, and in Charge Mode.

[]Download DX2-CRT-Animation.apk

[]Open Command Prompt (or Terminal) window in DX2-CRT-Animation.apk's location. (This can be accomplished by shift clicking on the folder where this resides, and clicking open command prompt here).

[]Push files onto the phone
    Code:
    adb push DX2-CRT-Animation.apk /data/local/tmp/framework-res.apk

[]Get shell access
    Code:
    adb shell
    su
    ---When you enter this, make sure your phone is awake, as a Super User access allow/deny will pop up. Allow it.
    In command prompt, you should now have a #.

[]Remove and copy files to proper location, reboot
    Code:
    mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/stl9 /system
    stop
    rm /system/framework/framework-res.apk
    cp /data/local/tmp/framework-res.apk /system/framework/
    rm /data/local/tmp/framework-res.apk
    reboot

Whats next:
    -Reverse CRT animation (hopefully!!!)

Any input is appreciated.
    I am new to this. Give me your input, and help me get better.
    I'm sure you can find some around. In fact, all this is a simple bools.xml edit in framework-res. You could even do it yourself if needed.

On the topic of CRT, I have been working on an ON/OFF CRT animation, but this is a lot more than xml edits. This relies on services.jar, and implementation and editing of different values and methods. It doesn't cause bootloop but I am puzzled as to why I am getting no animation (no crt or fade animation, instant off). Automatic brightness still works, but I don't know...I will try a few more things.

Just a quick update on whats happening next.