CUBOT Pocket

Search This thread

kkm6761

Jan 2, 2021
New 4 inch coming. Looks similar base.

a1_01.jpg

badcodelab

Mar 4, 2019
it's a LOT more expensive than the pocket but still no NFC, is the processor really that much better?
KKM2 Pro is on AliExpress for £191.
sale starts in a week, i believe the price will drop down to pocket's level (~$100-$120)

but folks welcome the pocket 3
  • 4.5'' (480*1170), 133.2x55x12.3
  • G85-MT6769CZ(Octa core)
  • 6GB + 128GB, Android 11
  • Dual Nano SIM Card
  • 3000mAh Undetachable battery
  • 20MP Rear Camera, 5MP Front Camera
  • GPS+GLONAS+Galileo+Beidou+A-GPS
  • Wi-Fi 2.4G/5G, 802.11a/b/g/n/ac, BT 5.0
yet nfc is absent

Last edited:

landsome

May 4, 2015
sale starts in a week, i believe the price will drop down to pocket's level (~$100-$120)

but folks welcome the pocket 3
  • 4.5'' (480*1170), 133.2x55x12.3
  • G85-MT6769CZ(Octa core)
  • 6GB + 128GB, Android 11
  • Dual Nano SIM Card
  • 3000mAh Undetachable battery
  • 20MP Rear Camera, 5MP Front Camera
  • GPS+GLONAS+Galileo+Beidou+A-GPS
  • Wi-Fi 2.4G/5G, 802.11a/b/g/n/ac, BT 5.0
yet nfc is absent
I cannot find it on the site as such. The page seems a sort of stub.

Last edited:

landsome

May 4, 2015
d'oh!

I just ordered Qin2 Pro. But Qin 2 Pro has 5 inch screen in same body size, and is 9mm thick compared to 12.
Please Do tell what it's like.

I decided to get one of the alternatives, the Rakuten Hand, mostly for the processor (SD720G). Though a bit too tall and in need of an esim, it's quite good. And I love that it works with almost any recent version of GCam. No SD, though.

Reactions: kkm6761

badcodelab

Mar 4, 2019
I cannot find it on the site as such. The page seems a sort of stub.
yep, they always do like that - post a draft page before even announcement
and some specs could change of course
but it also get listed at support page
1660639181580.png

not sure if they do OTAs? but i'm installing and will report back
no ota so far, please post if you manage to update without losing user data

you can find some reviews on youtube

Last edited:
Reactions: kkm6761

c_tho

k so, updated last night. @badcodelab i most certainly did not not lose my data. oh well, i had most everything backed up/on an sd card.

i have not noticed any differences tbh. as it stands i have three bugs:

1. phone randomly wakes up with a buzz while i am holding it and it's locked. this happens constantly on the bus, maybe every 30 seconds-1 minute. no combination of unlock settings seems to help. the phone doesn't unlock, just wakes to lock screen + vibrates. annoying.

2. double tapping power for camera doesn't work while the phone is unlocked, only when locked.

3. notifications don't show on lock screen when face unlock is enabled. i've had to disable it because i can't see spotify controls on lock screen with it on.

will chime in if i notice anything else, and hmu if you want me to check anything specific.

Last edited:

badcodelab

Mar 4, 2019
@c_tho 2-3 same for me
for 3 you can keep face unlock but disable "skip lock screen"

as for the 1st i've read about similar issue from 1 guy
have you tried enable/disable features in settings > system > gestures > smart things?

Reactions: c_tho

c_tho

@c_tho 2-3 same for me
for 3 you can keep face unlock but disable "skip lock screen"

as for the 1st i've read about similar issue from 1 guy
have you tried enable/disable features in settings > system > gestures > smart things?

tried every combination of the gesture stuff on and off and nothing seems to stop it i'm afraid. thanks for the suggestion tho.

gmag11

Sep 10, 2012
Madrid
Hi, I've bought one Pocket Mini just a couple weeks ago. Overall it works fine, but I'm not receiving calls when screen has been off for a while. It's like energy management stops cellular radio and detaches network.

I've tried to do a factory reset and configure from scratch. I've installed any additional app. Just configured Google account.

It has latest firmware from 26th july.

I've tested with two sim cards from different operators.

Has any one got the same behavior?

EDIT: I returned it to Amazon and ordered a new one. This seems to behave correctly.

Last edited:

Hampa_D

Jun 20, 2010
Had this phone since release, (up)graded from a Unihertz jelly 2, I must say that the pocket is my perfect size. Got a Ota yesterday no issues and haven't noticed any fixes, at least for the issues I have.
Cubot keeps closing my preferred alarm app, AMdroid, kinda big deal. I've disabled everything I can find related to battery optimization, don'tkillmyapp, tried to lock it in recent, tried to adjust the amount of background processes in dev options, only way I've got it sorta working is manually killing all apps and with tasker start AMdroid when I connect my charger when going to bed but even then it has missed a couple of times.
Then there's bitwarden that keeps getting disabled as a autofill service.
Apps like telegram, fairmail, signal, works like a charm. Annoying as hell.

kkm6761

Jan 2, 2021

I decided to get one of the alternatives, the Rakuten Hand, mostly for the processor (SD720G). Though a bit too tall and in need of an esim, it's quite good. And I love that it works with almost any recent version of GCam. No SD, though.

I have received it, once I set it up, I'll post more updates in this thread: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/xiaomi-qin-2-ai-rom-help.4008237 The phone by the way was a Chinese fundraiser project, that was very successful. I can't find the archived fundraiser page though.

Camera is not great, maybe slightly worse than KKM, but not sure because I deleted the camera a long time ago. Screen is amazing for IPS, I would almost thing it is OLED. I lacks font camera, I sometime use it, but I prefer with out (I deleted it on the KKM).

Shape and size and even design is perfect for me. I happen to really like this 22.5/9 screen ratio, only because the phone is narrow. back is flat, no protruding camera.

Tell me then about the Rakuten hand when you get it, and how you got it (unless you are in Japan?). The Rakuten Hand is sized like iPhone 6/7/8, but larger screen and narrower.

Honestly I am not sure if I want any other mini phone anymore, (I'll get iPhone 13 mini just because), unless Cubot comes with its own version of Qin 2 Pro, with better camera (pixel 6 series camera bump if a necessity), nfc and more ram/maybe processor but not at the expense of battery life.

PS: I am off-topic, I'll leave it here. PM if wish.

landsome

May 4, 2015
To keep the offtopic going, then... I got the phone sh via a friend who buys Japanese phones as a hobby. I also got a Balmuda. Briefly put:

Rakuten Hand
Plus
: narrow (63mm) and relatively short (138mm), very light, decent OLED without notch / cutout, fast fp reader (under display), almost stock Android, gets updates every 2 months, good CPU (plenty fast for my needs), almost no bloatware (the few apps are disable-able), audio jack, notification light, tolerable speaker, good battery life, almost all GCAMs work our of the box (no intervention needed)
Minus: a bit too tall for my taste/hand, Android 10 (not all 3rd party launchers work well with gesture navigation), eSIM exclusively, no expandability (limited to 64gb but 128gb on newer 5G version that sacrifices audio jack), no custom firmware, most importantly: lacks some useful European bands with notably missing LTE 20 (I mostly get 3G)

Balmuda (Softbank version)
Plus: perfect size and excellent height / width balance (123mm x 69mm), perfect ergonomics (nicely fits in cup of palm), quite light, good screen, gets updates every two months*, SD765G is fast for my needs, great notification light, good fp reader, Softbank bloatware can be disabled or uninstalled, Android 11 has nice gimmicks*, almost all GCAMs work our of the box (no intervention needed)
Minus: in order to get updates in Europe from Softbank reset is needed (and use of Japan VPN), battery is so-so, automatic brightness very unreliable, Android 11 gimmicks are nice but I still turned them off*, tinny speaker placed on the bbac, no custom firmware, most importantly: lacks some useful European bands with notably missing LTE 20 (I get 4G+ easily, but not 5G)

Update: another Minus for Balmuda - tinny speaker placed on the back (always exfoliates because the back is very curved, but still)

Last edited:
Reactions: c_tho and kkm6761

landsome

May 4, 2015
To get back to topic: a friend of mine got a Pocket and told me it feels much less solid and somehow cheaper (more hollow, perhaps) than the KKM2. How do you feel about this?

kkm6761

Jan 2, 2021
To get back to topic: a friend of mine got a Pocket and told me it feels much less solid and somehow cheaper (more hollow, perhaps) than the KKM2. How do you feel about this?
I don't have the pocket, and finally won't get it anymore. From the customer reviews it already looked that way, because of the fake luxury Vertu styling. If Cubots KKM was so successful, I expected much more upgrades in every possible way.

badcodelab

Mar 4, 2019
How do you feel about this?
in spite of this feeling pocket works pretty good and absolutely painless comparing to kkm2
perhaps kkm2pro decreases the gap but from antutu's score there is a big difference yet

personally i think they were able to make it thinner or put a bigger battery in
you can find lots of space inside the body
pocket_inside.png

c_tho

I don't have the pocket, and finally won't get it anymore. From the customer reviews it already looked that way, because of the fake luxury Vertu styling. If Cubots KKM was so successful, I expected much more upgrades in every possible way.
hey question re: the qin 2 pro, i'm seeing mixed reports re: android 9 or android 11, i assume it is actually 9?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    To keep the offtopic going, then... I got the phone sh via a friend who buys Japanese phones as a hobby. I also got a Balmuda. Briefly put:

Rakuten Hand
    Plus
    : narrow (63mm) and relatively short (138mm), very light, decent OLED without notch / cutout, fast fp reader (under display), almost stock Android, gets updates every 2 months, good CPU (plenty fast for my needs), almost no bloatware (the few apps are disable-able), audio jack, notification light, tolerable speaker, good battery life, almost all GCAMs work our of the box (no intervention needed)
    Minus: a bit too tall for my taste/hand, Android 10 (not all 3rd party launchers work well with gesture navigation), eSIM exclusively, no expandability (limited to 64gb but 128gb on newer 5G version that sacrifices audio jack), no custom firmware, most importantly: lacks some useful European bands with notably missing LTE 20 (I mostly get 3G)

Balmuda (Softbank version)
    Plus: perfect size and excellent height / width balance (123mm x 69mm), perfect ergonomics (nicely fits in cup of palm), quite light, good screen, gets updates every two months*, SD765G is fast for my needs, great notification light, good fp reader, Softbank bloatware can be disabled or uninstalled, Android 11 has nice gimmicks*, almost all GCAMs work our of the box (no intervention needed)
    Minus: in order to get updates in Europe from Softbank reset is needed (and use of Japan VPN), battery is so-so, automatic brightness very unreliable, Android 11 gimmicks are nice but I still turned them off*, tinny speaker placed on the bbac, no custom firmware, most importantly: lacks some useful European bands with notably missing LTE 20 (I get 4G+ easily, but not 5G)

Update: another Minus for Balmuda - tinny speaker placed on the back (always exfoliates because the back is very curved, but still)
    How do you feel about this?
    in spite of this feeling pocket works pretty good and absolutely painless comparing to kkm2
    perhaps kkm2pro decreases the gap but from antutu's score there is a big difference yet

personally i think they were able to make it thinner or put a bigger battery in
    you can find lots of space inside the body
    pocket_inside.png
    in case it's of interest to anyone, i've just started a small phone subreddit (https://www.reddit.com/r/smallphones) since there didn't seem to be one and i know a lot of people are interested in this space.
    mine arrived today. paid 173 australian (~120 USD), took about 3 weeks to arrive. couple of initial impressions:
    • performance is just OK, bit jittery/laggy in places
    • feels great in the hand, reminiscent of my old xperia xz1 compact
    • screen looks good although the black is predictably grey
    • good stock android experience, face unlock is good
    • typing is surprisingly easy imo, i too tried the jelly 2 and found nice but a bit too small
    • bluetooth is good, data speeds seem fine for my needs
    • camera drops off v quickly with less light
    i'm someone who has been pining for a nice small phone for years and also is looking to limit their screen time. all i need my phone for is to play music/podcasts, take notes/keep lists, send messages and use maps. that said, i did a bit of a netflix before and it seems a fine size for watching videos (probably wouldn't watch "the northman" or whatever on it).

here it is set up with niagara launcher.

iVRxcd2pE93lfX6j7-HTZPe-3lYWxh9IGgIRcHiHQbkVrecZpNLvilmq8Id6cSVhkT5skWQJwWYi6GVch8R--j9Ig6-3F6ZVzzW0uxYRAMrDs344DitSEZ8XrZvpVc40eshz3WVJbVot9OXYXNXLNljmzu5EsIcdPEtfE3thQv58hWLo3qgVzP286OABrq8KkK340sMJUEZ9BJft3ezFNH6tZyFOChqKODkzD8I3iFOiMA6EkO1SnNsGS25EcjepME6u_QsHCEOxwpnnGRmcLJbgoGmTWNbcoauozhns8KNQOOzxvzpMksfPXEjvMWjY4nj7KA4j1O_Wu0Y1qND8oyRrn6rLKCYuhFa-rYSjTsAWtqf6vKlI0krpgTAdKTDf0jBsy9u70Ad_s00Xw3tLx_dJnuS-aYxf7W0TA_XZrigbdqXvJZH4J9s-yXLdZACMRDoyvZuHsGM2kbiWA1uZHGgniAvdHwN02Hf_5leOnMHAwGckdGYxV7bHm9VvZeOVEG5f_pOVhdDOW7FiZL3xfkBrE7mlNqfxZpvg3IpPzdnOCGrCEIayEQcJe2hZQ86Ug9OwAAu-PjtGfUHTyBajbLU-b_zSw8A7TiNC8uVeHU_TviI3IMA_1Bq2wGyq_Qg15WYs0VmPMMiPldCau9Ou-uUmX_mwFj8SdYgg1YN0lF2APk9fnTus9xqajbU7GqBSeDFOgmmHyXEZxVEeTmXTbzeGHEhhuYpy4gZHEIs4spRSPgxEX6BQpWMpZ9VPJCM=w727-h969-no
    I started a thread for GSI flashing here

@Md652 I guess I managed to do the same things as you did
    @kkm6761 notify
    I forgot to mention that my 400gb exFat micro SD card seems to work fine.
    Anyone planning on unlocking bootloader and rooting? There is not alot of info on Unisoc chips.

Anyway, I ordered a Xiami Qin 2 Pro. Should come at the end of August. Have not found any forum. Will create a thread when I get one.