Current method of choice for achieving root

Search This thread

ajpettit

Mar 13, 2009
Long time rooter who has more or less given up in recent years.
Rooted:
HTC hero
HTC desire
Samsung Galaxy s1
Nexus 4
Nexus 5
Nexus 5x
Not rooted:
Pixel 2
Pixel 4xl
Just got a pixel 4 but would be tempted to root the pixel 2 while it's still got some life in it.

Got a few quick questions as to what has changed recently. Would be using magisk to achieve root after installing twrp. (Unless this is old hat and something else is the method of choice). Probably will have to unlock bootloader can't remember if I ever did it on the pixel 2
What's the procedure for monthly updates can they be done via ota or do I need to bring adb into it?

Best guides floating about at the moment? Any other pertinent advice? Muchthx

sudoxd

Jan 16, 2017
Adelaide
sudoxd.xyz
first of all, nobody cares how many devices you have rooted in the past, especially if you come needing help anyways which i find amusing.
secondly, to root this, boot twrp and flash magisk. if you are on android 10 you will need to patch the boot image from the factory image of the version you are on with magisk and flash it to your current boot slot.
thirdly, if you are on android 10 and rooted, you will get otas. anything lower and you will need to adb sideload otas.

orangepowerpokes

Sep 3, 2016
IMO the rooting party is pretty much over. I also returned to xda after many flashes years ago. For the Nexus, the great Beanstown dev provided monthly flashes for your custom recovery, but it looks so much more complicated today, to the point it's not worth the effort anymore. I'm sticking with stock till the '2 dies. The risk of unlocking the bootloader and getting root is simply not worth the headache as evident in the Q&A posts. So for now, for my much wanted rootness, I resort to debian linux on the desktop, a command line, and the luxury of typing sudo!!

Last edited:

orangepowerpokes

Sep 3, 2016
first of all, nobody cares how many devices you have rooted in the past, especially if you come needing help anyways which i find amusing.
secondly, to root this, boot twrp and flash magisk. if you are on android 10 you will need to patch the boot image from the factory image of the version you are on with magisk and flash it to your current boot slot.
thirdly, if you are on android 10 and rooted, you will get otas. anything lower and you will need to adb sideload otas.

Very impressive signature of the number of many devices you have. Maybe a new wall plaque perhaps?

Last edited: