Current ROOT Progress for G950U/G955U Snapdragon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

bill10

Mar 21, 2012
there is nothing to update.. when there is u will be updated.. the kernelhe speaks of is the plain old combo firm boot.ing everyone has with a few prop values changed...

we cannot load anew policy since sepolicy is on a read only file system and we cannot chmod anything on a ro system either so anything we try cannot touch anything in an ro system as it will give an error so temp root is needed to do anything at all

---------- Post added at 04:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:50 PM ----------

you dont know xda very well.. posting a rom thread without posting a rom is completely different than a root discussion thread.. how do you expect root to be achieved if there is no back and forth discussion between users??
Are any of these people in the back and forth discussion involved in the process of trying to achieve root. All Ive read on this thread is when this when that. To me it seems pretty much the same as a custom ROM not being completed. No offence please It just seems to me that with all the hard work your doing spending all this time dealing with us can't help out with what your trying to achieve is all. I've read 2 pages of people including myself discussing non root related issues and it can't help. Keep up the good work you do what you need to do[emoji111]

Sent from my SM-G955W using XDA-Developers Legacy app

elliwigy

Retired Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
XDA App Taskforce
I get ya, but for new people it makes you seem like a douche. Not that you are. I understand where you're coming from. That's why I periodically pop in to check.
well for new ppl the same answer should always be to read lol

i cannot and will not post in here everytime a new person asks for an update, they need to read just like the rest of us do and if they cant, well, i suppose someone else can feed them in or they will need to read up lol

fademaydarkness

Dec 23, 2016
There's a whole area called Questions & Answers for you non-technical ppl. This thread is for progress and updates, not to be filled with the same questions over and over again.

Then you so called technical people stop taking a pi** because of so called non technical people lol. Or just point to the Question & Answer section like you said. Just ignore the question or ask moderators to clean the thread instead of being pis*ed lol. Lmao. Also, ask to change this thread name instead of CURRENT PROGRESS. You can't stop new comers to read this whole pages. They will see the first page, also the name "CURRENT PROGRESS" and see the time & then the last page for updates. This will be like a chain cycle. The more you going to be pi**ed, or react on such type of question. It'll make it worst.

elliwigy

XDA App Taskforce
Are any of these people in the back and forth discussion involved in the process of trying to achieve root. All Ive read on this thread is when this when that. To me it seems pretty much the same as a custom ROM not being completed. No offence please It just seems to me that with all the hard work your doing spending all this time dealing with us can't help out with what your trying to achieve is all. I've read 2 pages of people including myself discussing non root related issues and it can't help. Keep up the good work you do what you need to do[emoji111]

well this is completely different than rom development.. you cannot have a solid direction to say hey, this is what we need to do and how to do it..

we need temp root.. i have tried exploits from most recent pocs all the way back to 2015 and not a single one worked.. ive tried all the obvious selinux changes such as load policy and we have looked into kernel modules.. nothing works

again, if you know how to hijack an init process or gain temp root then please let me know lol

other than that it seems we are working on edl as the only viable option until any working exploits come about

---------- Post added at 05:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:41 PM ----------

Then you so called technical people stop taking a pi** because of so called non technical people lol. Or just point to the Question & Answer section like you said. Just ignore the question or ask moderators to clean the thread instead of being pis*ed lol. Lmao. Also, ask to change this thread name instead of CURRENT PROGRESS. You can't stop new comers to read this whole pages. They will see the first page, also the name "CURRENT PROGRESS" and see the time & then the last page for updates. This will be like a chain cycle. The more you going to be pi**ed, or react on such type of question. It'll make it worst.

it says current progress because THAT IS THE CURRENT PROGRESS..

why would someone read current progress then ask for current progress when its on the first page? silly lol

fademaydarkness

Dec 23, 2016
well for new ppl the same answer should always be to read lol

i cannot and will not post in here everytime a new person asks for an update, they need to read just like the rest of us do and if they cant, well, i suppose someone else can feed them in or they will need to read up lol

Yes that's what am saying, if they can't read , we can't make them read lol. By reacting or being sarcastic(not said you been sarcastic) it won't help, let others people who aren't mad answer for them ?

---------- Post added at 05:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:43 PM ----------

well this is completely different than rom development.. you cannot have a solid direction to say hey, this is what we need to do and how to do it..

we need temp root.. i have tried exploits from most recent pocs all the way back to 2015 and not a single one worked.. ive tried all the obvious selinux changes such as load policy and we have looked into kernel modules.. nothing works

again, if you know how to hijack an init process or gain temp root then please let me know lol

other than that it seems we are working on edl as the only viable option until any working exploits come about

---------- Post added at 05:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:41 PM ----------

it says current progress because THAT IS THE CURRENT PROGRESS..

why would someone read current progress then ask for current progress when its on the first page? silly lol

Yes it's the CURRENT PROGRESS, I don't have any problem with the names or anything. We also have to understand people are going to ask updates or not whether it's new comers or lazy people who can't read the pages.

They will just see the 1st page then see the date then ask for updates like it's been 1 or 2 month we haven't heard any updates bla bla. So for those people we can't be mad at them

---------- Post added at 05:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:46 PM ----------

but the questions ppl are,asking are impossible to answer.. When are we going to have root, when is it going to be rooted, will we ever have root, what updates are there etc. are all impossible to answer then ppl get upset when you cant answer them....

facts are there has been no update because there has been no progress....

we are getting a lot of denies due to system being read only and/or flat out permission denied..

i have already posted that we need a way to hijack the init process or gain temp root to move further..

i am still messing with edl but my xmls are still not formatted properly as it spevifically tells me this while in edl mode and without a proper xml we do not flash anything..

so there is the update folks, same spot as the last 10 updates lol

Yeah. Post that we need to find the init process in the kernel to somehow call the su binary or make from that init process, a vulnerability to execute su binary.
But in the update section. Like I said, people just don't stop to ask or read neither we can make them read. Whoever made this thread, I guess he is gone. If someone can contact and update this, that will solve all the back and forth between people who getting mad ?

elliwigy

XDA App Taskforce
Yes that's what am saying, if they can't read , we can't make them read lol. By reacting or being sarcastic(not said you been sarcastic) it won't help, let others people who aren't mad answer for them ?

---------- Post added at 05:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:43 PM ----------

Yes it's the CURRENT PROGRESS, I don't have any problem with the names or anything. We also have to understand people are going to ask updates or not whether it's new comers or lazy people who can't read the pages.

They will just see the 1st page then see the date then ask for updates like it's been 1 or 2 month we haven't heard any updates bla bla. So for those people we can't be mad at them

---------- Post added at 05:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:46 PM ----------

Yeah. Post that we need to find the init process in the kernel to somehow call the su binary or make from that init process, a vulnerability to execute su binary.
But in the update section. Like I said, people just don't stop to ask or read neither we can make them read. Whoever made this thread, I guess he is gone. If someone can contact and update this, that will solve all the back and forth between people who getting mad ?

yea, i dont control this thread so i cant post it in OP lol.. but that is where we stand.. init controls basically everything (top process) so if we can find a way to take that over we can do pretty much anything.. hell, if someone can take iver init they can root the device at that point as theyd be able to reload policies and do pretty much anything..

the easiest way I believe anyways would be to take over init and firce write the eng boot.img while on the eng firmware.. then we will have root access and can do anything we want without having to take init over again lol

we essentially cant mount anything so we dont necessarily get permission denied but we get read only file system.. for example, we can chmod su to be executable but since its on an ro system we cant change its permissions..

the ability to mount it is essentially needing root.. only init process can do these things.. taking over init however is a very technical and involved process however that is beyond most ppls skillset, even some seasoned devs would probably have a hard time and its so technical someone would have to study the ins and outs which could take months or even longer to understand it lol

fademaydarkness

Dec 23, 2016
yea, i dont control this thread so i cant post it in OP lol.. but that is where we stand.. init controls basically everything (top process) so if we can find a way to take that over we can do pretty much anything.. hell, if someone can take iver init they can root the device at that point as theyd be able to reload policies and do pretty much anything..

the easiest way I believe anyways would be to take over init and firce write the eng boot.img while on the eng firmware.. then we will have root access and can do anything we want without having to take init over again lol

we essentially cant mount anything so we dont necessarily get permission denied but we get read only file system.. for example, we can chmod su to be executable but since its on an ro system we cant change its permissions..

the ability to mount it is essentially needing root.. only init process can do these things.. taking over init however is a very technical and involved process however that is beyond most ppls skillset, even some seasoned devs would probably have a hard time and its so technical someone would have to study the ins and outs which could take months or even longer to understand it lol

Dayum :laugh: Sammy really changed the game this time. If I'm correct, they provided su binary in the eng firm, but made the system ro.So, it's there but we can't touch. It's like a diamond(su) in the box(system) but we can't steal the diamond for our use. ? It's like saying Sammy saying, yeah beach take that LMAO.
So, whoever creates the exploit for this, this will be certainly a new kind of exploit which we haven't seen till now. Hope am wrong cuz new exploits are hard to found, it's there but people will think 2times before publishing.

elliwigy

XDA App Taskforce
Dayum :laugh: Sammy really changed the game this time. If I'm correct, they provided su binary in the eng firm, but made the system ro.So, it's there but we can't touch. It's like a diamond(su) in the box(system) but we can't steal the diamond for our use. ? It's like saying Sammy saying, yeah beach take that LMAO.
So, whoever creates the exploit for this, this will be certainly a new kind of exploit which we haven't seen till now. Hope am wrong cuz new exploits are hard to found, it's there but people will think 2times before publishing.

well technically the system is always ro and not user mountable.. the whole point of gaining root is to mount the system as rw to push su binaries..

so technically speaking, tge eng firm has su binaries but with its permissions I cannot execute su (permission denied.) And when trying to change its permissions (chmod) is when we get the read only message (cant change su permissions since its on a read only file system)

---------- Post added at 09:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:48 PM ----------

You guys need to stop buying Samsung phones. Force Samsung's hand to change it up by allowing unlocked bootloader's.

the rooting community is a very small percentage of samsung users so i doubt we would be able to gain that much attention from Samsung to change their ways when they get millions of dollars from other entities and those are the ones that call the shots, not necessarily even Samsung

Aridon

May 14, 2007
You guys need to stop buying Samsung phones. Force Samsung's hand to change it up by allowing unlocked bootloader's.

There are other devices (including S8 devices with root), if it is important people have choices. Most of those choices have drawbacks and when you can buy a top of the line device for $600 a few months after release it doesn't make a ton of sense to buy an inferior product for nearly the same amount.

The value of root for many people has diminished tremendously over the years. Not saying I'd spit at having it, just that it isn't what is used to be. Options for non rooted users have nearly reached what most people were doing with root.

Titanium restores are the only thing I'm really missing right now. Would be nice but hardly necessary. Most of the reason I used titanium was ROM swapping. When the ROM just works and doesn't really need many tweaks other than disabling some junk it really isn't necessary to constantly restore everything from scratch.

Kernel tweaks? I'm buttery smooth with 10 hours of SOT. Unnecessary.

Disabled bixby and all the other bloat without root using disable pro.

Ads are all blocked already with DNS66.

Yeah I can't chronically flash different variations of the same crap. Probably for the best really. I'd prefer the **** just work anyway, which it does. I miss playing with things some but reality is root simply isn't nearly as necessary as it used to be.

Last edited:

Art3714

Jul 21, 2017
but the questions ppl are,asking are impossible to answer.. When are we going to have root, when is it going to be rooted, will we ever have root, what updates are there etc. are all impossible to answer then ppl get upset when you cant answer them....

facts are there has been no update because there has been no progress....

we are getting a lot of denies due to system being read only and/or flat out permission denied..

i have already posted that we need a way to hijack the init process or gain temp root to move further..

i am still messing with edl but my xmls are still not formatted properly as it spevifically tells me this while in edl mode and without a proper xml we do not flash anything..

so there is the update folks, same spot as the last 10 updates lol
I can help with xml...just registered to say this...on a side note remember the MOAR roms for s5?? They ended up making their own site to get away from this xda nonsense. Memory buffers is great place to start as that is an easy route to privilege escalation. DM me if you need assistance.

partcyborg

Recognized Developer
Jun 23, 2017
OnePlus 9 Pro
Just to make sure I understand:

The "stock" eng rom has the su binary installed but it's chmod 444 and ofc the root fs is r/o?

There HAS to be *some* way to execute the binary, otherwise why even install it? Is it known why the binary is there to begin with?

On another related note: if the su binary isn't +x is it even setuid root? If Samsung is ****ing with it's permissions for some reason it may not be, which will be harder to patch at runtime.

(I'm legitimately trying to help. I've been a site reliability engineer and Unix systems expert for over a decade. I know little about Android specific internals but if we are stuck on general Linux things maybe I can try and do some research)

Reactions: Ephasi0n

TechBSwift

Jul 14, 2010
Just to make sure I understand:

The "stock" eng rom has the su binary installed but it's chmod 444 and ofc the root fs is r/o?

There HAS to be *some* way to execute the binary, otherwise why even install it? Is it known why the binary is there to begin with?

On another related note: if the su binary isn't +x is it even setuid root? If Samsung is ****ing with it's permissions for some reason it may not be, which will be harder to patch at runtime.

(I'm legitimately trying to help. I've been a site reliability engineer and Unix systems expert for over a decade. I know little about Android specific internals but if we are stuck on general Linux things maybe I can try and do some research)
Any help would be appreciated.

fademaydarkness

Dec 23, 2016
I have heard sprint s8 has unlocked bootloader and some people saying no. So, I'm still confused does it have unlocked bl or not. I flashed sprint fw hoping my bl will be unlocked without unlocking my sim. That's a stupid decision. ? sorry for off topic. Just wanted to share. Now I can't go back to att. I can flash att fw but can't go back and unlock it. Sad. Ik there threads on carrier switching, didn't worked.

Last edited:

Duck Quan

Jul 22, 2016
I have heard sprint s8 has unlocked bootloader and some people saying no. So, I'm still confused does it have unlocked bl or not. I flashed sprint fw hoping my bl will be unlocked without unlocking my sim. That's a stupid decision. ? sorry for off topic. Just wanted to share. Now I can't go back to att. I can flash att fw but can't go back and unlock it. Sad. Ik there threads on carrier switching, didn't worked.
Sprint does not have a unlocked BL. Take it from me. I have Sprint and have been up and down this phone trying to find anything and everything relating to an unlocked BL or root and there is absolutely nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ***if using XDA labs app, please stop, select the 3 dot menu button in the top right, and view this thread from browser because of formatting issues with the labs app. This is to help make the OP easier to follow along with. ***

**Please Read First**
    This will be the main, and ONLY thread we will keep updated for the progress of root on the Snapdragon variants of these phones from here on out.

As the other few threads are multi topic and confusing for people anticipating root, as well as for us working on it trying to sift through comments to keep each other updated. Those will be cleaned up to avoid confusion as well. This will make it easier for everyone to check back to see any new progress as I will be updating the OP whenever we make movement

**First, and foremost, I would like to recognize and thank @STF_TimelessGoD for his work on the initial post R&D Carrier Switch/Root Snapdragon. Without his time and effort putting that thread together and maintaining it, there would still be a lot of unanswered questions and we probably would not be as far as we are**

That thread will still continue for the Carrier Switching and a full guide is available at this link
    [HOW TO] Carrier Switch For S8 Snapdragon

---------------------------------------------------​

Current Root Progress
    We are currently working on 2 main possible methods for this. Refer to each method in RED below the Key Notes.
    Please, if you do not know what terms are, or what files are, Google search them to avoid filling the thread with easily answered questions

*UPDATE* 1 - 6-19_2:34pm CST
    We are looking for relevant files to properly flash from EDL Mode. IF anyone can get their hands on these 3 files, specific for our chipset, PLEASE let us know.
    The first 2 are the main needed, as the provisioning can possibly be made from provisioning info already on the phone.
    - prog_ufs_firehose_8998_ddr.elf
    - prog_ufs_firehose_8998_lite.elf
    - provision_samsung.xml

*UPDATE* 2 - 6-19_9:00pm CST
    We have aquired the necessary Elf files from above. Now doing more research on proper ways to use them as they are qualcomm/device specific

*UPDATE* 3 - 6-22_1:34am CST
    Much much time spent combing through code of these files and tools that are able to handle them. As well as the verification process andriod uses in conjunction with qualcomm between all 3 bootloaders and the Learned a lot tonight.
    We learned enough to be able to begin some new tests tomorrow that is not the same as either of the methods below. However I cannot at this time divulge the method being used and for that I am sorry!

*UPDATE* 4 - 6-28_4:35pm CST
    We studied up a lot on our selinux and the way that Nougat 7.0 has changed how security works and are currently working on adb permissive with *a debuggable user* kernel. Refer to Update in key notes for more info.
    -METHODS UPDATED WITH METHOD 3

Key Notes
    In general order of them happening/being found out.
    1. - Pre Release Combo Firmware is only known Firm to contain Allow OEM Unlock and have SELinux set to permissive by default. However, @elliwigy went through this thoroughly and found that permissive did literally nothing to help elevate privileges as it should have, and that the OEM unlock check box didn't seem to have any effect on secureboot.

[*]- Received multiple ENG Boot files, none of them contained system write capabilities as they should have. So they were no help. Someone (leaving names out) said they had ENG Boot with full root access that he would share, but stopped all involvement in the thread and we never heard back from him. Generally, just about always, an ENG Boot has system write capabilities, as that's the point of an Engineering Kernel.

[*]- SELinux Permissive was acheived on Stock firmware by @STF_TimelessGoD but it caused the phone to not charge past 80%. Trying to get into su shell from adb says it is started as root, but doesn't actually enter root shell. @elliwigy tested this out as well with the same results. Otherwise same problems as above.

[*]- @elliwigy got ahold of an actual ENG Boot, however, trying to flash from Odin and phone returned "This is ENG binary. Please use USER binary! (boot.img)". Meaning 2 things. 1, it is a true ENG Boot with system access, and 2, Samsung really stepped up their security

[*]- Chainfire Auto root does NOT work on our devices. To be clear, Chainfire's website has a bot that auto-compiles for all new devices regardless of it being capable or not. He did take a look at our device, but decided he wasn't going to spend the mass amount of time on it that is needed, like we currently are!

[*]- Next we looked at multiple security vulnerabilities that would allow escalated privileges(access to the system) Ended up deciding against this as we do not have a dev on the project with exploit building knowledge.

[*]- I brought up EDL mode as a possibility. Which is not suppose to be supported on Samsung as it needs fastboot, normally. Without fastboot, you are suppose to use a proprietary edl cable(easily made) to force your phone into it. Which still was thought to be unaccessable on Samsung. After a lot of research on how it SHOULD be done, we had mixed results. Until @BotsOne by chance found you could get into EDL from adb command line with the phone on. So this is part of one of our methods below.

[*]- I'm looking at modifying a serial flash tool to know the partition table of our devices, to make EDL mode properly work for us. This is so we can flash individual partitions and not the whole system.

[*]*UPDATE* 2 - No need to modify a serial flash tool, as using the Elf files from earlier takes care of that work. Working with them now to fully understand and operate with them

[*]*UPDATE* 4 - With the help of a fellow dev , @akiraO1 that has much more selinux experience than us, we were able to get a foot in on changing things and making our selinux fully permissive. There is a prop setting that made it kind of tight. but changing persist.security.ams.enforcing *AND security.perf_harden* to 0 fixed most of this. But there is still much more as the fstab inside the boot.img has system set to ro. We are working on this, but things are looking up

METHOD 1
    Flashing Modified Bootloader Via EDL Mode
    1. Modify a current serial flashing tool (such as the Mi flash tool) to include our partition table and options to flash to certain partitions individually
    2. Modifying the bootloader source code to to be unlocked, then flashing unlocked bootloader via EDL
    3. At that point we could Odin Twrp and then flash whatever we wanted

METHOD 2
    Flashing True ENG Boot Via EDL Mode
    1. - As the first method, would need to modify a serial flashing tool for this.
    2. - First check would be to flash the True ENG Boot to the device via EDL.
    3. - Then check if it boots because you can't Odin the Eng Boot without it failing as stated in key notes above. Because EDL has elevated privileges, it will flash to the device, but we have to see upon starting, if it will still binary check and stop from booting.
    4. - If it boots, we should then be able to access su shell, and run a batch to obtain system root as usual.

METHOD 3 - Update 4
    Modifying Boot Parameters with SELinux
    1. - Using the permissive boot that we figured out proper capabilities
    2. - Gain access to proper partitions to make the phone load a custom selinux profile that allows rw to system
    3. - Mount system r/w and install su binaries via adb
    4. - Modify remaining parameters needed within boot.img and create a runnable script for everyone!

^^EVERYTHING ABOVE WILL BE UPDATED AS PROGRESS IS MADE, WITH EDIT DATES. JUST LOOK FOR THE WORD *UPDATE* NEAR RELEVANT AREAS.^^

All Relevant Files, Hosted Courtesy Of @Maltego
    - CLICK HERE -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Current Contributors
    @elliwigy
    @Maltego
    @STF_TimelessGoD
    @BotsOne
    @mweinbach
    + @akira01
    + @Harry44

**If you would like to help or contribute in any way, please message me.**
    It may take a bit to get back to you, and for that I apologize

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

**Please be patient with us as this is not a simple task and it is not a standard root method that has ever been used on Samsung as EDL was not previously available**

We've successfully got /system mounted as read/write. Please give us some time to figure out ways to package things up. Thanks.
    Made some more progress. I think it's safe to say that we've got this thing pwned. I gotta get some sleep - I have work in the morning but rest assured we'll get this out to you guys as soon as possible.
    Ok everyone.. in light of the xda portal post not capturing the members who actually contributed to root progress outside of bots and directing users to this thread, we will be creating a new discussion/progress thread since op of this thread hasnt contributed to the root progress as well as has been MIA for months so we cannot update this thread and the items in op are irrelevent to how we actually obtained root (for the most part)

the op was originally in our group and was trying to find ways to root with us bit we have moved on from all of those items and another smaller group was created with 4 members who found other ways of obtaining root, so there is essentially 4 members.

Once new discussion thread is created, we will be asking this thread be closed and a link to the new profress thread that we can actually maintain.

Until then, the progress is as follows:

1) I obtained necessary official firmware for the S8+ and will be getting the same S8 firmware soon hopefully
    2) The team (members will be listed in new thread) found a way (finally) to mount any partition as RW
    3) KNOX is still intact so warranties are not voided but due to the firmware and root, some samsung apps will not work
    4) Currently the root method used is causing some minor issues with some root apps, we are working on it and are pretty sure we have the fix which willbe done today
    5) We are also waiting to receive s8 files for a simultaneous release. Keep in mind once this is released, it is public which means Samsung can then see it and patch it in future updates so we want to ensure a simultaneous release
    6) The method will be streamlined as much as possible and should be easy even for rookies once released
    7) DONT ASK FOR ETAS
    8) Once ready, a new official root thread will be created with files, instructions and a how to video by a known person
    9) Once released, we hope those that pledged or didnt pledge will donate. Bounty details will be posted in the bounty thread once we get to that point. Keep in mind said firmwares are not free (they arent cheap) as well as some of us missed work, had everything sidelined, lost sleep etc etc for countless hours since the S8 devices were released.
    10) Stay tuned!
    N
    noppy22
    Due to the amount of off-topic rubbish and abuse that I have had to clean(not to mention all the rubbish that has already been cleaned by other moderators), I'm closing the thread temporarily. It will be re-opened in a few days.