Custom Binary Blocked by FRP Lock - How I Fixed It Without Data Loss

Search This thread

jerry43812

Feb 27, 2010
www.market4android.com
YMMV.
Proceed to read at your own risk. This is intended for informational purposes only. I am not responsible for anything here.

So my wife's Sprint S6 displayed the error of "Custom binary blocked by FRP Lock". This was caused by Developer Options being turned off, then the device was rebooted.

In order to fix it, I tried so many things, including making an attempt to install 6 different versions of the ROM for this phone. I tried 4 different USB cords, tried all of the USB ports on my computer, and even went and grabbed the newest Odin, 3.12.3. None of the flashes worked, because they all failed, as shown below:

Code:
 Added!!
 Enter CS for MD5..
 Binary Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
 Please wait..
 Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
 Leave CS..
 Odin engine v(ID:3.1100)..
 File analysis..
 SetupConnection..
 Initialzation..
 Get PIT for mapping..
 Complete(Write) operation failed.
 All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

I did loads of research and found out that you (obviously) can't install a version lower than the currently installed version, and I couldn't remember what the current version was on her phone. However, I found many success stories telling how the currently installed version was successfully Odin flashed onto a device exhibiting the same issue as mine, but it never worked for me.

I spent a few more hours this morning researching this issue because I did not want to lose the data that was on my wife's phone, because I care about keeping her happy ;) Amazingly, I tried something I read on a whim, expecting it to not work.

Using Odin 3.12.3, I downloaded QB1 from koop1955's thread. I verified the MD5 before doing anything else with the file. Then, I unzipped that download to produce a file ending in .tar.md5. I then deleted the extension .md5 from that filename, and put it into the AP slot in Odin. Odin didn't give any output (because it didn't do the md5 check that it would normally do). I then clicked Start. The flash worked!! The phone successfully flashed, and no data was lost at all. I am so damn happy!

tl;dr

0. Put phone into download mode. From an off state, press and hold Volume Down, Home, and Power til you get the blue screen, then press Volume Up to enter download mode. Plug it into your computer using a good USB cable.
1. Download QB1 from koop1955's thread
2. Unzip that download once.
3. Put the unzipped file into the folder in which Odin exists.
4. Delete .md5 from the filename. It should end in .tar now.
* If you don't see .md5 on the end of the filename:
* If you do not see file extensions, on W10, go to Control Panel\Appearance and Personalization. click File Explorer Options. Click the View tab. Place a check mark by the line labeled "hide extensions for known filetypes". Boom.

5. Click the AP button in Odin, then select that file you just renamed.
6. Click start in Odin. Let it flash. It should work.

finalc

Jul 31, 2009
My SAMSUNG G928P was flashed a 3rd firmware. l have a same issue which cause the device can't boot the system. And now still the same way appears red on the left conner 'custom binary blocked by frp lock'. I tried officiall firmware as you did, it can flashed successfully, just stuck in the SAMSUNG logo. HELP ME PLEASE, Dont want to lose the data.

killroot

Mar 17, 2012
THANK YOU

I just wanted to say thanks. This post helped me out a lot. I spend about 4 hours trying to fix this issue then found your post and had it done in a matter of minuets. I used to do this a lot back in days and I'm getting back into this. I got a lot of reading to do. Thanks for the post again!

Reactions: jerry43812

jerry43812

Feb 27, 2010
www.market4android.com
I just wanted to say thanks. This post helped me out a lot. I spend about 4 hours trying to fix this issue then found your post and had it done in a matter of minuets. I used to do this a lot back in days and I'm getting back into this. I got a lot of reading to do. Thanks for the post again!
Hey! Glad it helped. I was really active back in the HTC Hero days and around 2013 I slowed down. I like to keep my phones rooted but i getting more and more worried about manufacturer warranty being denied over being rooted... Fortunately I was able to iron this whole thing out with some meticulous research and some help from awesome people here, and it's still satisfying knowing I've helped at least one person who appreciated it enough to say thanks!

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

jerry43812

Feb 27, 2010
www.market4android.com
My SAMSUNG G928P was flashed a 3rd firmware. l have a same issue which cause the device can't boot the system. And now still the same way appears red on the left conner 'custom binary blocked by frp lock'. I tried officiall firmware as you did, it can flashed successfully, just stuck in the SAMSUNG logo. HELP ME PLEASE, Dont want to lose the data.
Sorry, not sure what the g928p is and unfortunately I can't help with your issue. I just wrote what I did to fix this issue and if you're still having problems I recommend doing some very in depth research to make sure you didn't miss some tiny but crucial step.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

slimshady.rules

Sep 17, 2017
Same issue on my Samsung A%

The file is not there anymore bro. Where do i get the file for my device please(Samsung A5) ? i found a way to solve this using kies 3 and wiping the phone. But u did it without data loss? amazing ! glad if you can help. thanks!
YMMV.
Proceed to read at your own risk. This is intended for informational purposes only. I am not responsible for anything here.

So my wife's Sprint S6 displayed the error of "Custom binary blocked by FRP Lock". This was caused by Developer Options being turned off, then the device was rebooted.

In order to fix it, I tried so many things, including making an attempt to install 6 different versions of the ROM for this phone. I tried 4 different USB cords, tried all of the USB ports on my computer, and even went and grabbed the newest Odin, 3.12.3. None of the flashes worked, because they all failed, as shown below:

Code:
 Added!!
 Enter CS for MD5..
 Please wait..
 Leave CS..
 File analysis..
 SetupConnection..
 Initialzation..
 Get PIT for mapping..

I did loads of research and found out that you (obviously) can't install a version lower than the currently installed version, and I couldn't remember what the current version was on her phone. However, I found many success stories telling how the currently installed version was successfully Odin flashed onto a device exhibiting the same issue as mine, but it never worked for me.

I spent a few more hours this morning researching this issue because I did not want to lose the data that was on my wife's phone, because I care about keeping her happy ;) Amazingly, I tried something I read on a whim, expecting it to not work.

Using Odin 3.12.3, I downloaded QB1 from koop1955's thread. I verified the MD5 before doing anything else with the file. Then, I unzipped that download to produce a file ending in .tar.md5. I then deleted the extension .md5 from that filename, and put it into the AP slot in Odin. Odin didn't give any output (because it didn't do the md5 check that it would normally do). I then clicked Start. The flash worked!! The phone successfully flashed, and no data was lost at all. I am so damn happy!

tl;dr

0. Put phone into download mode. From an off state, press and hold Volume Down, Home, and Power til you get the blue screen, then press Volume Up to enter download mode. Plug it into your computer using a good USB cable.
* If you do not see file extensions, on W10, go to Control Panel\Appearance and Personalization. click File Explorer Options. Click the View tab. Place a check mark by the line labeled "hide extensions for known filetypes". Boom.

Last edited:

akatoshheir

Jun 10, 2018
i just had the same problem on my mothers phone and your method worked perfectly thank you so much i didnt want to do a stock flash and have her loose everything so thanks for your knowledgeable and easy to follow post

x.shayan.x

Apr 16, 2010
Hello @jerry43812 and @koop1955 that file has been deleted from android file host, would any of you please care to upload it again? Thanks very much. I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 5 btw, I think it works right?

Last edited:

GurdevSingh13

Apr 13, 2022
@koop1955 I don't have knowledge about any of the android OS. But I have an issue and it still is an issue from 2016 to 2022. I have an android phone launched in 2016. I rooted it using SuperSU binary. By turning ON all the necessary features required for making custom recovery (TWRP) installed and installing SuperSU binary as well.
Therefore my developer options were turned ON and OEM unlocking was ON aswell. My phone name was Samsung J2 2016 (SM-J210F). I by mistake disabled OEM unlocking switch. And restarted the phone and it never
rebooted after that.
I need the data it is very precious to me. I don't need root privileges back or anything like that.
I just need the data and state of operating system the way it was before restarting.
Please help me @koop1955.
I will be very thankful to you.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    YMMV.

Code:
     Added!!
     Enter CS for MD5..
     Please wait..
     Leave CS..
     File analysis..
     SetupConnection..
     Initialzation..
     Get PIT for mapping..

tl;dr

"1. Download QB1 from koop1955's thread"
    Yeah, that koop1955 character is one heck of a guy...or so I hear.
    Glad this worked out for you.
    "1. Download QB1 from koop1955's thread"
    Yeah, that koop1955 character is one heck of a guy...or so I hear.
    Glad this worked out for you.
    He's crazy if you ask me

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
    I fixed it

All i had to do is change the firmware extension to .tar instead of .tar.md5 and flash it:laugh:
    I have the same problem with my samsung galaxy sm-j120f and I can't seem to fix it :(

First off, you should probably post in the correct forum.
    Secondly, did you try flashing the firmware for your phone: https://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/galaxy-j1/SM-J120F/