Search This thread

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor / XDA Welcome Team
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
On my Kindle fire with 5.1.1, I tried the TWRP Manager App from google play. When you download the twrp-2.8.7.0-otter.img and try to install, you get the following message:

"Ensure the partition listed below is the correct one for your device. I you do not verify this then you risk bricking. On some devices it is impossible to flash recovery while in Android. If flashing doesn't work for you then please flash recovery a different way.

/dev/block/platform/mmci-omap-hs.1/by-name/recovery"

Using my root file browser, I was able to find a similar file path:
/dev/block/platform/mtk-msdc.0/by-name/recovery

If the installer was updated with this corrected file path, would custom recovery be able to install properly?

twrp cannot be installed/flashed only booted

Sent from my XT1080 using XDA Labs

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
On my Kindle fire with 5.1.1, I tried the TWRP Manager App from google play. When you download the twrp-2.8.7.0-otter.img and try to install, you get the following message:
"Ensure the partition listed below is the correct one for your device. I you do not verify this then you risk bricking. On some devices it is impossible to flash recovery while in Android. If flashing doesn't work for you then please flash recovery a different way.

/dev/block/platform/mmci-omap-hs.1/by-name/recovery"

Using my root file browser, I was able to find a similar file path:
/dev/block/platform/mtk-msdc.0/by-name/recovery
If the installer was updated with this corrected file path, would custom recovery be able to install properly?

twrp cannot be installed/flashed only booted
And only on devices with bootloader 5.0.1 or lower. TWRP is not an option on your 5.1.1 device - booted or otherwise.

qeaser

Oct 22, 2015
Help me please... 😢

Hello

I need a custom recovery for this device
See photos
Please help me

Last edited:

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Does this mean for the tablet overall or just that USB storage can't be used by TWRP?
Have no idea what the original quote is referring to. USB storage works fine on this device with FireOS and/or with any of the maintained custom roms. TWRP is an outlier for early devices that came with FireOS 5.0.1; irrelevant to everyone else.

That said, flashing anything on any device is not for the faint of heart and can lead to bad outcomes if not completed successfully. Why anyone would want to complicate the task and increase the risk of catastrophic failure by placing source on a SD card is beyond me.

ipdev

Recognized Contributor
Feb 14, 2016
Google Nexus 10
Nexus 7 (2013)
Why anyone would want to complicate the task and increase the risk of catastrophic failure by placing source on a SD card is beyond me.

I flash most roms from external sd. Regardless the device, twrp, or flashfire. It opens the option to completely wipe internal storage.
(I was surprised what I found left over from standard wipes.)

If sd card is not an option, I use the adb sideload option in twrp. (Lately even if sd card is an option.)

Sent from my SM-T230NU using XDA-Developers mobile app

Reactions: DB126

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
I flash most roms from external sd. Regardless the device, twrp, or flashfire. It opens the option to completely wipe internal storage.
(I was surprised what I found left over from standard wipes.)

If sd card is not an option, I use the adb sideload option in twrp. (Lately even if sd card is an option.)
Thanks - reasonable given objective. Risks are obviously lower with twrp and especially with an unlocked bootloader. I would still exercise caution with FlashFire as the only fallback for a botched flash is a stock recovery sideload. As a general comment reading critical files off external storage adds a layer of complexity that is unnecessary for most flashes. Of course no hard rules - just go in with eyes open.

Reactions: ipdev

alpenglow

Jun 25, 2010
in general Amazon bootloaders are locked.
5.0.X was unusual because it allowed booting of an unsigned recovery.img

Sent from my XT1080 using XDA Labs

I have a HD 10 5.0.1, tried using [fastboot boot twrp-fire.img], but it still restarted normally and didn't enter twrp recovery. There was no error appeared during excusing the commands. Any help appreciated.

ext23

Jul 20, 2010
I'm on CM but without Gapps. For some reason Flashfire didn't flash the Gapps package properly when coming from Fire OS.

Installing Flashfire .apks doesn't work (just crashes back to home screen), and for some reason I can't boot this recovery via fastboot either.

How can I flash .zips or install Gapps?!

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
I'm on CM but without Gapps. For some reason Flashfire didn't flash the Gapps package properly when coming from Fire OS.

Installing Flashfire .apks doesn't work (just crashes back to home screen), and for some reason I can't boot this recovery via fastboot either.

How can I flash .zips or install Gapps?!
With exception to early devices with 5.0.x bootloaders you can't flash or boot a custom recovery on this device. FlashFire app is the only path. Verify root is enabled on CM 12.1 (under developer options) which is a prerequisite for FlashFire. Be sure to use the latest FlashFire build (here). If still no joy you will need to restore FireOS via stock recovery menu and start over.

Be sure to follow instructions in rom OP to avoid GAaps flash issues in the future. Best results are obtained with smaller GAaps packages like pico/nano/micro. Also the proper build for this device/rom (arm/5.1). Don't mess with FlashFire options; defaults are fine.

Reactions: sd_shadow

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    DISCLAIMER
    We are not responsible for any damage, bootloop, bricked or broken tablets and Relationships.

Team @csolanol & @diegocr is back!!!

Notice
    This recovery can't be flashed to the tablet meanwhile the bootloader is locked. We don't have any way to unlock it for now so you must launch it this way:

Code:
    fastboot boot TWRP_Fire_2.8.7.0_adb.img

Edit: Project became stable. Got rid of the backlight error thanks to @diegocr.

Download
    https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24269982087018181

Update 2015-12-14
    MTP working, if doesn't mount disable and re-enable
    Don't use USB storage, not working

Update 2015-12-13
    Added adb & USB storage mount USB storage not working

XDA:DevDB Information
    [CUSTOM RECOVERY] TWRP Recovery, Tool/Utility for the Amazon Fire

Contributors
    csolanol, diegocr

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: 1
    Stable Release Date: 2015-11-09

Created 2015-11-06
    Last Updated 2015-12-14
    Video: 2015 Fire: Booting TWRP, Rooting, Installing Gapps

Basic Directions

This is a temporary recovery, it must be booted with fastboot commands, every time want to use it.

What you can do with a Custom Recovery
    Is anyone currently working on modified stock builds for this tablet? I think a rom like Kinnology on previous devices is what this slate needs right now. I tried to debloat and add some of the regular android settings to the settings app, but I just ended up breaking things.... ;(
    Yup, working on SlimLP. At this point it is as stable as cm from ggow plus battery stats fixed. No plans to release it until bluettooth works.
    fae7eef4b1d088f189108ee212bb0437.jpg
    Any Tom development started yet?

Yes, however right now I'm just doing a highly customized, de-bloated, de-amazon'd, pre-rooted, stock based rom. I don't know if anyone is working on AOSP or CM based roms at the moment.
    does anyone see any benefit to adding on the first page version 5.1.1 is not rootable at the moment? Or on any of the other main pages with procedures for root, roms, etc.

Just wondering...