Question Custom ringtones

Search This thread

al czervik

Sep 1, 2010
This method worked to add custom ringtones/notification sounds to the GW5 (as well as GW4) prior to the recent GW5 update AVK7:

Stated in post #7, which is summed up here:
(1) use the wearables app to transfer the ringtone/notification in MP3 format to the watch.
(2) Then a file explorer to copy the ringtone to internal memory/ringtone and/or the notification to internal memory/notification
(3) Press and hold home button and select power off
(4) Press and hold home button to turn watch back on
(5) wait (even for a little after the watch has finished booting)
They then show up as a ringtone/notification but ONLY on the watch; you can't make the change on the phone as it doesn't see them in the wearables app.

Since the update any added mp3 files no longer show up in Settings>Sounds and Vibration>Ringtone list on the GW5. Any ideas as to why the update changed this behavior and what is a workaround?

Reactions: pigglett

pigglett

Dec 10, 2008
Cheshire UK

al czervik

Sep 1, 2010
Really unhappy that Samsung breaks things that work fine. They did the same thing to me with my GW4 when Samsung pushed an os update that permanently bricked the watch.
SOB

al czervik

Sep 1, 2010
Greatly appreciate this response. Thank you.
I have experience with ADB, but hesitate to use this method based on my previous experience with GW4 bricking after Samsung GVI3 update.
I know the two are not related, but I am spooked for now. May get the guts to try this at a later time.

mybikegoes200

Jul 18, 2007
Chicago
The ADB method no longer works - at least not in perpetuity. The second the watch resets (for any reason - 0% battery, force reset, reboot), the custom sound (whether ringtone, notification, or alarm) disappears and the default for the category is selected. With the ADB method above, I also noted that once you push the sound and update the system library that custom sound is still not visible or selected in the Wearable app.

In short - I concur with Pigglett - Samsung (and relatedly Google) behave more and more like Apple by the day. If I wanted to be locked into a box unable to customize really anything - I'd have purchased that 4-letter word company's product.

This website states to use Android SDK and not just ADB. Wondering if current owners used this method to achieve custom ringtones (notifications/alarms included to) transfer?

This website states to use Android SDK and not just ADB. Wondering if current owners used this method to achieve custom ringtones (notifications/alarms included to) transfer?

If you check the comments on that article, everyone states that the sounds revert to default after a watch reset, so same issue even if you follow this.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Looks like only away to get on the GW5 at the moment is via ABD

https://www.reddit.com/r/WearOS/comments/wyb8j7
    This method worked to add custom ringtones/notification sounds to the GW5 (as well as GW4) prior to the recent GW5 update AVK7:

Stated in post #7, which is summed up here:
    (1) use the wearables app to transfer the ringtone/notification in MP3 format to the watch.
    (2) Then a file explorer to copy the ringtone to internal memory/ringtone and/or the notification to internal memory/notification
    (3) Press and hold home button and select power off
    (4) Press and hold home button to turn watch back on
    (5) wait (even for a little after the watch has finished booting)
    They then show up as a ringtone/notification but ONLY on the watch; you can't make the change on the phone as it doesn't see them in the wearables app.

Since the update any added mp3 files no longer show up in Settings>Sounds and Vibration>Ringtone list on the GW5. Any ideas as to why the update changed this behavior and what is a workaround?