Custom ROM for Galaxy Ace: discontinued, sorry

Search This thread

Jonathan_m84

Oct 16, 2010
Hengeloooooo
Hey guys,

I've discontinued my work on the custom ROM for the galaxy ace, due to the fact that the only person who I knew, who had this phone, actually broke his phone (because it fell or something)..
Also I do not have enough time to work on it properly, so I hope someone else can continue my work (Peeter123?) and open a new topic concerning this...

Last edited:

peeter123

Feb 18, 2011
Enschede
Looks good, will try to help if I can. Also: Wifi definitely needs fixing. Constant crashes in std samsung build.

Maybe it would be nice to build in ext3 and ext4 support.

Last edited:

Jonathan_m84

Oct 16, 2010
Hengeloooooo
I will focus on speeding up the fw first, maybe do some kernel hacks later..
Are you running the new XEKB1 firmware from samfirmware . com already? If so, could you supply me with a copy of your /system folder? Im missing some files/dirs from the fw at the moment..

Thanks!

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

peeter123

Feb 18, 2011
Enschede
Sure no problem, I will get to that this afternoon ;)

Ps. I'm indeed running the latest firmware (S5830XEKB1)

Last edited:

jeffdijkstra

Feb 15, 2011
Will there be a simplified safe step by step tutorial in the near future on how to use this ROM? (and if it ****s up how to restore to factory default or so) I tried messing around with ROM manager with my first model and it bricked so I'm really careful with the new one I got now (yes I tricked the people at the store to get me a new one).

peeter123

Feb 18, 2011
Enschede
You can restore firmware with odin relatively easily. Even if the main firmware is ****ed up. How bad was it bricked? And was it possible to turn your phone on in download mode?

Jonathan_m84

Oct 16, 2010
Hengeloooooo
Will there be a simplified safe step by step tutorial in the near future on how to use this ROM? (and if it ****s up how to restore to factory default or so) I tried messing around with ROM manager with my first model and it bricked so I'm really careful with the new one I got now (yes I tricked the people at the store to get me a new one).

Yes, before I post the first version of this ROM I will include a guide on how to succesfully flash this ROM and how to fix a broken/bricked Galaxy Ace again... reading through Peters posts (on this and other topics) hopefully he can help me with producing this..:)

xedamen

Jul 19, 2010
There is no topic for Galaxy Ace! Why? I think there shold be a lot of developer...

peeter123

Feb 18, 2011
Enschede
I will focus on speeding up the fw first, maybe do some kernel hacks later..
Are you running the new XEKB1 firmware from samfirmware . com already? If so, could you supply me with a copy of your /system folder? Im missing some files/dirs from the fw at the moment..

Thanks!

What files do you need. Whole /system folder is a tad big :p

NVM uploading to my webserver now, I'll send you a PM with the link.

Last edited:

jeffdijkstra

Feb 15, 2011
You can restore firmware with odin relatively easily. Even if the main firmware is ****ed up. How bad was it bricked? And was it possible to turn your phone on in download mode?

It wanted to reboot so I could back-up my current firmware, but it never did, all I ever managed to get was taking it into a 'connecting..' state within Kies when I used one of the three button tricks but nothing appeared on screen.

No matter what combination I tried or what kind of method, the screen stayed black.

peeter123

Feb 18, 2011
Enschede
Hmm yea that's what I feared. I guess you messed up your bootloader. A broken bootloader is unrecoverable. Everything else is fixable.

fahmitue

Feb 22, 2011
Status(17-03): working on it: deodexed and zipaligned all the apk's, added root and busybox.. however I need to borrow the galaxy ace of a friend of mine to create an ODIN flashable ROM, maybe next week it will be onlibe for you guys!:)

/***************************************************************************************************************************
WARNING

This release contains a lot of bugs and is purposed for testing only. It's not ready for daily use!
Don't flash this rom if you aren't able to solve some problems without our help.
Don't make any feature requests!

***************************************************************************************************************************/

and:

#include
/*
* Your warranty is now void.
* I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
* thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
* do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
* before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
* you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
*/
Jonathan_m84 .. can u help me? i acidently play with the rom and now i think its bricked.. coz cannot start. and nothing on screen.. when i try push all button then insert battery then connect to pc.. it will detect as samsung mobile modem.. so.. how can i flash with odin?? coz it says setup connection.... stuck there. tq

Jonathan_m84

Oct 16, 2010
Hengeloooooo
Jonathan_m84 .. can u help me? i acidently play with the rom and now i think its bricked.. coz cannot start. and nothing on screen.. when i try push all button then insert battery then connect to pc.. it will detect as samsung mobile modem.. so.. how can i flash with odin?? coz it says setup connection.... stuck there. tq

First of all, I do not own a galaxy ace. Secondly, please dont post this in this topic, use other topics for basic questions, since it does not concern my ROM, especially since my ROM is not published online yet.

When it is, I will provide help for problems with my ROM in this topic, but not with others ROMs, sorry..

Good luck anyway!

Jonathan_m84

Oct 16, 2010
Hengeloooooo
Okay im not that bad for a person, so let me give you some advice:

*------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------*
Flashing your phone usually means putting leaked software on your phone and thus could potentially
break the rights you have that if it breaks down you get a new one.. so its up to you to proceed..

Before Flashing, make sure you have backed-up all your data, otherwise you'll risk losing it.
Secondly, try to read through some forums/sections (maybe about other phones) to know what
it is you are going to do.
Third, install the right drivers for your phone make sure that KIES is not running on your computer!
Shut it down, shut it down, please do so!.. You just needed to install it to get the Galaxy Ace Drivers,
but the rest of the program is only for people who don't know what to do with their phones,
if you are one of them: Stop reading and be satisfied with what you got, or wait for Kies updates! :p

*------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------*
Okay, now for the flashing:

Make sure your battery is charged all the way up to 100%, if not you can **** up your battery stats (which are restored after charging it up and playing with it for a couple of days, but nevermind)..

Before connecting it to your computer, shut it down and pull the battery!

Also, make sure that your computer wont be killed/shutdown because your laptop battery is empty or your little brother plays with electricity or something, and try to close as many applications on your computer as possible, just to be sure..

Proceed to the flashing, following these guidelines:

Firmware Update Steps, follow the exact order!:
*-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------*
1. Run Samsung Galaxy Ace S5830 Downloader
2. Select OPS file : Cooper_v1.0.ops in the OPS field.
- Click BOOT button and select: APBOOT_S5830xxxxx_xxx...._user_low_true.tar.md5
- Click Phone button and select: MODEM_S5830xxxxx_xxx...._REV03.tar.md5
- Click PDA button and select: CODE_S5830xxxxx_xxx...._REV03_user_low_true.tar.md5
- Click CSC button and select: CSC_S5830xxxxxx_xxx......_REV03_user_low_true.tar.md5
4. Put your phone into Download Mode: Press middle Key ( OK key ) + Power + Volume Down
5. Connect USB cable to your phone and the program must read the Com number it takes.
6. Click Start button and the update process will start.
7. Do not touch or remove anything till the device rebooted and you can see PASS word on the program!!

*---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------*

And that's it, that's all I can do for you at the moment. Maybe next week I'll have some more expierence with flashing the galaxy ace, as of now I have only flashed my Galaxy s (a million times) and my Samsung Star (three times :p), so I'm not an expert on flashing a Galaxy Ace.

Last edited:

jeffdijkstra

Feb 15, 2011
Ugh, was hoping for the ROM instructions :D

Anyway, I'm fairly new to Android and ROM's, I rooted my phone already successfully so I could get things like Adblocker for apps etc.

I understand and have been told that ROM's are supposedly the 'better' firmwares out there when they are designed for a phone, thus saving things like battery life and performance, is this true or is this really ROM depended?

I'm mainly looking for things like extending the battery life of my phone (performance speed is way enough already with stock firmware), would this be a good reason to use a custom ROM or shouldn't I bother?

Jonathan_m84

Oct 16, 2010
Hengeloooooo
You can increase battery life by disabling data network when you dont use it and by removing all those fancy widgets from your desktop launcher, they eat up battery juice.. also, install advanced task killer froyo from market and kill your running apps that you dont use, set security to low;)

tobi240988

Aug 10, 2010
Dorsten, Germany
You can increase battery life by disabling data network when you dont use it and by removing all those fancy widgets from your desktop launcher, they eat up battery juice.. also, install advanced task killer froyo from market and kill your running apps that you dont use, set security to low;)

Tested a few days with and without ATK. There was no difference. Much better battery life with Juice Defender.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys,

I've discontinued my work on the custom ROM for the galaxy ace, due to the fact that the only person who I knew, who had this phone, actually broke his phone (because it fell or something)..
    Also I do not have enough time to work on it properly, so I hope someone else can continue my work (Peeter123?) and open a new topic concerning this...
    Okay im not that bad for a person, so let me give you some advice:

Flashing your phone usually means putting leaked software on your phone and thus could potentially
    break the rights you have that if it breaks down you get a new one.. so its up to you to proceed..

Before Flashing, make sure you have backed-up all your data, otherwise you'll risk losing it.
    Secondly, try to read through some forums/sections (maybe about other phones) to know what
    it is you are going to do.
    Third, install the right drivers for your phone make sure that KIES is not running on your computer!
    Shut it down, shut it down, please do so!.. You just needed to install it to get the Galaxy Ace Drivers,
    but the rest of the program is only for people who don't know what to do with their phones,
    if you are one of them: Stop reading and be satisfied with what you got, or wait for Kies updates! :p

Okay, now for the flashing:

Make sure your battery is charged all the way up to 100%, if not you can **** up your battery stats (which are restored after charging it up and playing with it for a couple of days, but nevermind)..

Before connecting it to your computer, shut it down and pull the battery!

Also, make sure that your computer wont be killed/shutdown because your laptop battery is empty or your little brother plays with electricity or something, and try to close as many applications on your computer as possible, just to be sure..

Proceed to the flashing, following these guidelines:

Firmware Update Steps, follow the exact order!:
    *-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------*
    1. Run Samsung Galaxy Ace S5830 Downloader
    2. Select OPS file : Cooper_v1.0.ops in the OPS field.
    - Click BOOT button and select: APBOOT_S5830xxxxx_xxx...._user_low_true.tar.md5
    - Click Phone button and select: MODEM_S5830xxxxx_xxx...._REV03.tar.md5
    - Click PDA button and select: CODE_S5830xxxxx_xxx...._REV03_user_low_true.tar.md5
    - Click CSC button and select: CSC_S5830xxxxxx_xxx......_REV03_user_low_true.tar.md5
    4. Put your phone into Download Mode: Press middle Key ( OK key ) + Power + Volume Down
    5. Connect USB cable to your phone and the program must read the Com number it takes.
    6. Click Start button and the update process will start.
    7. Do not touch or remove anything till the device rebooted and you can see PASS word on the program!!

*---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------*

And that's it, that's all I can do for you at the moment. Maybe next week I'll have some more expierence with flashing the galaxy ace, as of now I have only flashed my Galaxy s (a million times) and my Samsung Star (three times :p), so I'm not an expert on flashing a Galaxy Ace.
    Its not a wifi bug..in wifi advanced settings there is somethin called wifi sleep policy which by by default puts wifi in sleep the moment screem goes off.
    Change that setting and wifi will work

Sent from my GT-S5830 using XDA App
    I have managed to deodex and zipalign packages and framework. This is specific and only for firmware S5830XEKB1.

The downloadlink is here: Link! Use the following instructions to put the files on your mobile phone:

[HOW-TO] Manually deodex your phone. CREDITS TO: Webst3r and others. Original thread Here

I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR WHATEVER HAPPENS TO YOUR PHONE! MAKE SURE YOU MAKE AN BACKUP OF /system/app AND /system/framework. SO YOU CAN RESTORE THE FILES WHEN NECESSARY.

You must be rooted!

This is a guide on manually deodexing, you phone. (Duh!)

What you'll need:
    * Patience

Process:

* Put the phone in USB mass storage.
    * Go into the extracted folder and copy "done_frame", and "done_app_opti", and move them to the root of the sdcard.
    *Open a command prompt, and do the following:

Code:
     adb shell
     su
     stop
     mount -o rw,remount -t rfs /dev/stl12 /system
     cp /sdcard/done_app_opti/* /system/app/
     cp /sdcard/done_frame/* /system/framework/
     rm /system/app/*.odex
     rm /system/framework/*.odex
     mount -o ro,remount -t rfs /dev/stl12 /system
     reboot

Your phone should now be deodexed and zipaligned!

You may notice an increase in speed, and you now have the ability to edit certain files with greater effects. (i.e. services.jar)