Question Custom ROM for Moto G Power (2021)

Search This thread

Efone

Jan 26, 2022
Hi guys,

I am forced to upgrade my moto G5 plus due to a network update :(
In my moto G5 plus I have installed dotOS with android 11 and I am really happy with it, and I would like "clone" it on a Moto G Power.
Here are some questions:

1) since Moto G Power (2021) is not listed on dotOS but a GSI ARM64 available, has anyone experienced with that? I am also open to other custom ROMS (also Lineage OS doesnt have this devicelisted)

2) I also noticed that TWRP is not available for Moto G Power (2021), is there a good alternative or I have to use adb fastboot?

Thanks!

Edit:
I just found the thread:
[RECOVERY][UNOFFICIAL] TWRP 3.6.0-11 [BORNEO] Android 11 Based (updated 12/11/2021)
I can try that for question 2 :)

Last edited:

Onoitsu2

May 4, 2013
USA
Moto G Power (2021)
Hi guys,

I am forced to upgrade my moto G5 plus due to a network update :(
In my moto G5 plus I have installed dotOS with android 11 and I am really happy with it, and I would like "clone" it on a Moto G Power.
Here are some questions:

1) since Moto G Power (2021) is not listed on dotOS but a GSI ARM64 available, has anyone experienced with that? I am also open to other custom ROMS (also Lineage OS doesnt have this devicelisted)
:)
Presently I don't believe it is possible to have a custom rom as we need the kernel be released for it to have a chance, or a compatible similar device and its kernel.

Reactions: sd_shadow

Efone

Jan 26, 2022
Hi Onoitsu and thank you for the reply,

so I guess I could go with the stock ROM. I noticed that I can use https://mirrors.lolinet.com/firmware/moto/borneo/ has an official and blankflash (not sure what the difference is). If I understand the process correctly I could:

1) unlock bootloader
2) flash twrp in recovery
3) flash blankflash.zip (or official?) through twrp
4) flash magisk through twrp
5) restore my old phone dotOS android 11 backup through twrp

and I should have all the apps and data as in the old device?

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor / XDA Welcome Team
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire

Efone

Jan 26, 2022
Thanks for the info!
Should the reasoning above work if I use official instead of blankflash?

Efone

Jan 26, 2022
Thanks sd_shadow for the info, it is really helping me out.

I saw your post for using LSMA, but I couldnt find a Linux version. Is there one? Or the only other option I have is going through the fastboot process?

Hatrackman

Feb 25, 2015
Victoria
goo.gl
Still the reason I cite in post 2 above, indeterminate, sadly.
Mostly concerned because google has said they're going to stop their 'less secure app' thing at the end of this month and it might mean textnow will stop working outright for people that don't use play services.

Hopefully anyone working on making a custom rom for Borneo will see this thread and maybe give an idea if its going to happen.

Hatrackman

Feb 25, 2015
Victoria
goo.gl
If I wanted to start from scratch what would I need to know to make my own custom rom? Don't need a phone, will only ever use wifi. Just need microg basically.

Last edited:

Efone

Jan 26, 2022
The following statement is on the dotOS FAQs:

Q: My device is not supported! What should I do?!​

A: First reason can be that our development team doesn't have your device to support it or we no maintainer applied for this device. You can always use our GSI builds if your phone supports Treble Project.

Here we have this statement:
... Google requires every Certified Android device launching with Android 8.0 Oreo and above to support Treble.

Here borneo is listed as a supported device.

Does this mean dotOS GSI supports MotoGPower 2021 without the need of vendor blobs?

sdembiske

Jan 4, 2015
Presently I don't believe it is possible to have a custom rom as we need the kernel be released for it to have a chance, or a compatible similar device and its kernel.
@sd_shadow

Two sites that potential rom developers may want to check out:

1) https://github.com/moto-common
check out: https://github.com/moto-common/andr...ernel/blob/12/dtb/bengal-moto-base-borneo.dtb

2) https://github.com/moto-sm6115

Scroll through the list of repositories, particularly in the moto-common site

Reactions: Efone

Efone

Jan 26, 2022
@sdembiske that looks promising, I am willing to give it a shot and contribute to the community. Is there a good guide on how to build the kernel with vendor tree/blobs etc...?

sdembiske

Jan 4, 2015
Reference "Moto G Power 2021 XT2117-4 Firmware Extractions" - You will find the extracted kernel etc. in the boot.img extracted link that you can download - there are many other extractions that you hopefully can use to build a custom or AOSP rom.
Your best bet would be to add a pre-built kernel in the build - you can google that for how-to's.

Reactions: Efone

Top Liked Posts