Installing Custom Rom (GSI) + Magisk on Lenovo Tab M10 Plus 3rd Gen (TB-125FU)

Search This thread
@joeblowma

hi

nice. you have solved the Problem.
when i have time, can you write a short manual?

-----

well, i have used Universal Android Debloater GUI today.

thats a good tool i think. i have uninstall many apps such youtube, kids, google file and photos and lenovo tablet center

has someone else xp with that?

i cant find the com.google.android.apps.XXX

for

- gmail
- google PlayStore (not recommended)
- google Assist
- Memo (lenovo i think)
- GBoard (i have no idea. its for digital key board, when i deactivate, only speechassist work)
- Google-Service
- SMART Launcher (whats that?)

You can install a lot of those from APKmirror. GBoard is the keyboard. If you don't want to reinstall it, check to see in the language/input settings to see if there's another soft/virtual keyboard to set as default.
Smart Launcher is the default home launcher. If you uninstalled that, you'll have to adb push and install another launcher apk.

fire_cuber

Dec 28, 2020
Hey everyone.
i reading all your posts, but i cant imagine bring my tablet to a root. i have a different firmware like rescue image. What can i do? Can everone tell my step by step?

Please

My Firmware Version on Tablet
TB125FU_S000118_220927_ROW
The Download
TB125FU_S000139_221208_ROW

@joeblowma
You have the boot.img from 220927? Can you give it to me? :D
can it work with tah t for me?

thx
have a nice week

Do you still have the download TB125FU_S000139_221208_ROW?
I need the boot.img of it please.

I am currently on TB125FU_S000139_221208.

I wanted to do the OTA update to TB125FU_S000144_230105_ROW today but Magisk says.
stock backup does not exist.
I know how to fix this but I need the boot.img from the TB125FU_S000139_221208_ROW

Reactions: art99

joeblowma

Oct 26, 2012
Edmonton
Do you still have the download TB125FU_S000139_221208_ROW?
I need the boot.img of it please.
Here you go, let me know if it works out for you. I just did this second update to 144 and nothing except a factory reset worked. This time, I couldn't even get magisk to recognize the clean copy following instructions that worked before, the instructions you just mentioned, and the shell script talked about in the comments there... weird all around.

Attachments

• TB125FU_S000139_221208_ROW_boot.zip
    20.3 MB · Views: 73

fire_cuber

Dec 28, 2020
Here you go, let me know if it works out for you. I just did this second update to 144 and nothing except a factory reset worked. This time, I couldn't even get magisk to recognize the clean copy following instructions that worked before, the instructions you just mentioned, and the shell script talked about in the comments there... weird all around.
Thank you very much, I will test it.

fire_cuber

Dec 28, 2020

Yes, it's a pity that it didn't work for me either, so I'll reset the whole thing.
But thanks anyway for the file.

[Edit]
Hmm, resetting with the "Rescue and Smart Assistant" tool from Lenovo doesn't work either.
But the tablet still starts as it is with root+magisk.
I will now leave the tablet as it is and not install any further updates.
I don't feel like doing any more tests.

Last edited:
Reactions: joeblowma

joeblowma

Oct 26, 2012
Edmonton
Hmm, resetting with the "Rescue and Smart Assistant" tool from Lenovo doesn't work either.
We discussed copiously how broken their "smart" assistant is. They seem to have prioritized security, oddly as we can root it fairly easily, over end users being able to restore software problems.

I have no idea why the process of having root even after reflashing the unmodified bootloader doesn't let updating work without a factory reset, but with Swift Backup I'm able to use root to backup around 95% of everything, put the clean bootloader, factory reset, update, root again and restore nearly everything in around an hour (mostly spent waiting).

After doing it twice inside a month or so... I'm almost at the point of trying some GSI ROMs instead.

We discussed copiously how broken their "smart" assistant is. They seem to have prioritized security, oddly as we can root it fairly easily, over end users being able to restore software problems.

I have no idea why the process of having root even after reflashing the unmodified bootloader doesn't let updating work without a factory reset, but with Swift Backup I'm able to use root to backup around 95% of everything, put the clean bootloader, factory reset, update, root again and restore nearly everything in around an hour (mostly spent waiting).

After doing it twice inside a month or so... I'm almost at the point of trying some GSI ROMs instead.

Let us know if you succeed in that venture. I'd love to ditch Lenovo's software as well.

ms32035

Mar 27, 2023
Did anyone succeed with a custom ROM in the end? I just upgraded to TB125FU_S000160_230227_ROW via RSA, end despite removing userdata flash and format from FlashInfo.tmp after the upgrade the only thing that worked was a factory reset. This is the second time it happened to me. Thinking about selling this tablet if that's how every upgrade will look like.

fire_cuber

Dec 28, 2020
I ended up RMA-ing the tablet. Couldn't find any other solution to fixing it, so that was the end result. :/
That's exactly how it ended for me. :rolleyes:
I now have my device back after about 2 weeks.
I don't think I will re-root it again as the benefit of rooting is too small compared to the effort of troubleshooting/backup/reset.
I have now re-rooted everything and used ADBAppControl to disable or uninstall unwanted apps.

I will not try again until someone has the good grace to provide a working TWRP image.

[EDIT]
Correction I have not re-rooted it but only set up again ;)

Last edited:
That's exactly how it ended for me. :rolleyes:
I now have my device back after about 2 weeks.
I don't think I will re-root it again as the benefit of rooting is too small compared to the effort of troubleshooting/backup/reset.
I have now re-rooted everything and used ADBAppControl to disable or uninstall unwanted apps.

I will not try again until someone has the good grace to provide a working TWRP image.

I think it's a lot safer to wait, in general, for a restore solution (or at least the ability to unbrick) with devices as of late, since it seems to be getting more and more complicated in regards to even just unlocking bootloaders.

chetqwerty

Jan 10, 2009
I think it's a lot safer to wait, in general, for a restore solution (or at least the ability to unbrick) with devices as of late, since it seems to be getting more and more complicated in regards to even just unlocking bootloaders.
So here I am, the reboots just started this morning..... Do I try the restore? Reflash *everything*? Wait for the tool to be fixed? RMA? yeeesh

Funny thing is I'm locked down. No google apps, no google account, OTA's disabled, Adguard running supper paranoid mode blocking everything, running like a champ for 4 months yet something (common among us) sneaks by and gets us! Nice.

fire_cuber

Dec 28, 2020
At first everything worked fine with root.
Until I wanted to do the second OTA.
I wanted to restore the backup/image from Magisk.
And then the whole trouble started, when Magisk said that no backup is available.
Then I wanted to make a system restore with the tool from Lenovo "Rescue and Smart Assistant".
And that was the death blow for the tablet.
First a continuous boot loop started and then at some point it didn't start at all.
Fastboot mode was also no longer available, and thus no access via ADB.

Reactions: art99

xd4d3v

Jun 18, 2009
I had a custom rom installed, and went back to stock in the hopes the latest update was the promised Android 13, that was supposed to come out in march.

It wasn't.
however, my tablet has always been a bit stuttery, which is one of the reasons I went to a custom rom (although this did not improve)
With the latest firmware, it's finally smooth after the initial install!!

Not sure how this happened, as it happened after a while, but it did..
I can recommend stock, for that reason, made a huge improvement to the enjoyment of the tablet (previously, I couldn't wait to sell it)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    For sure, it would be nice to kill that serial port notification on mine too.
    It's pretty simple, definetly a very annoying message...go to settings, apps, see all apps, click the 3 dot menu at top right, show system, go to android system, notifications, turn off developer messages

Try to RMA it but I wouldn't be surprised if they try to charge you. I've had to RMA mine because it suddenly began bootlooping one day and tried to fix it with RSA, only to apparently mess it up. They even tried to claim I "physically" modified/voided the warranty when I never even unlocked the bootloader until I argued with them and they dropped the repair charge. Beware.
    Finally the tablet came back to life!! I used RSA on a PC with Windows 11, I tried it on another PC with clean Windows 10 and here it did detect the tablet, there must have been some driver conflict on the first PC. In case it can help someone in the future. Thank you very much too @aboulafia1901 @GuyInDogSuit
    ok, so ur just pulling the boot img from one of the GSI roms...im just trying to pull the stock boot img...do you happen to know where one can download the stock firmware for this device, this is my 1st lenovo tablet
    LMSA. https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds101291-rescue-and-smart-assistant-lmsa
    Use this tool. Install and explore the file and folder structure it creates. Interrupt the process before it flashes your tablet for it will erase the files you need from your computer if you don't. Use trial and error here.
    Since the original question was about root, Ill keep this going

I was able to download the most recent ROM from Lenovo rescue which was super simple, it downloads the ROM first and wont start the flash till you click the button. I did retrieve the stock boot.img, patched it, and flashed it, rebooted and had root. Heres where the many hours of fun started...I realized my wifi wasnt working (good sign something was messed up during flash). I realize the ROM downloaded from the Lenovo Rescue was newer then my old ROM. So I had flashed the newer boot.img over the old ROM (not good). I went back to Lenovo rescue to actually make use of the rescue and flash a full ROM. After completion I became stuck in fastboot mode. I could boot to recovery but not system and every restart or shutdown and restart would go straight to fastboot.

I did try to manually flash the ROM using what i thought was the right files and order (using flashinfo.txt as the order and MT6768_Android_scatter.txt for the partition names for each image). Everything flashed successfully, but upon reboot I was still stuck in fastboot mode. I tried everything I could think of and even ran the Lenovo Rescue a few times.

After many hours, I came across this command for fastboot..."fastboot set_active a" which finally allowed me to boot into system. I assume this tablet uses the A/B slot partitions, but I think they only make use of the A for boot? Thats my thought

So next is too try to patch the correct disc.img for my current rom (which is the latest from Lenovo Rescue) and flash again making sure to flash to the boot_a partition and hopefully everything goes like it should

Hopefully that command helps someone save many hours if they find themselves stuck in fastboot mode while rooting and/or flashing.