Custom Rom with SELinux deactivated not secure?

Search This thread
Jun 12, 2022
Hi,

although I read here and there that SELinux is important for the security/privacy of a phone, I was still never 100% sure.
So can someone, who knows a thing or two about security of a phone/custom-rom/android tell me if I should install a custom rom from xda like LineageOS-unofficial with SELinux deactivated if I like my phone to be secure, especially regarding the private data on my phone?

thanks in advance

Jun 12, 2022
SELinux ( correctly: SEAndroid ) protects the Android OS and not your privacy, especially not your private user data.
But if someone/an app gains access to my "OS" and then changes things, so they then also have access to my private data stuff....that is impossible or what?
A more detailed answer maybe than just one short sentence?
Your answer is so short, that it doesn't explain anything at all. Why exactly is it good for my private data if "only" my "OS" is not secure by SELinux being deactivated....whatever that means....since you don't explain sh_i_t?

Jun 12, 2022
Still need help.....
no or not a lot of security people in xda forums? That would make most of the custom roms here on xda....well....from a security point of view: Trash.
Hope I'm wrong.

thanks in advance

Jun 12, 2022
The way you responded to 'xXx yYy' , i don't expect many people will want to help you
What do you mean? I don't know how my tone was exactly since I'm not an english speaker from birth. So if I offended someone somehow, I'm sorry. Also I'm new on xda as well.
And I thought security people or tech people would be happy that there is one more human in the world, who cares about security, since there aren't many and the security point is so important that it definitely needs more attention.

What I can say is, that in my "culture" being really direct is a good thing. So maybe I was a little too direct? But again, then I'm sorry for who feels offended and come on guys, give this newbie another chance then : )

Jun 12, 2022
Actually I just found even an article from XDA for that topic, but don't know if there is a difference between SELinux being "deactivated" or "permissive". The custom rom I use is from XDA and has SELinux "deactivated".
Also there's then also the question why a developer of a custom rom would give out not secure custom roms? Doesn't make any sense.

Article: https://www.xda-developers.com/permissive-selinux-dangers-exploits/

So I still need someone with knowledge about that SELinux-topic to weigh in.

Thanks in advance

Oswald Boelcke

Senior Moderator / Moderator & RC-RT Committees
Staff member

neojpl

Jul 10, 2013
Reading, Pennsylvania
What do you mean? I don't know how my tone was exactly since I'm not an english speaker from birth. So if I offended someone somehow, I'm sorry. Also I'm new on xda as well.
And I thought security people or tech people would be happy that there is one more human in the world, who cares about security, since there aren't many and the security point is so important that it definitely needs more attention.

What I can say is, that in my "culture" being really direct is a good thing. So maybe I was a little too direct? But again, then I'm sorry for who feels offended and come on guys, give this newbie another chance then : )
Ignorance is bliss

Top Liked Posts