Custom rom!!??

Search This thread

imzaki1994

May 3, 2013
cairo
Hello everyone i am about to get tab s7+ and i love the table just one question we have root and twrp why there is no custom rom and if i am rooted how to update the software also what do i lose with root what magisk don't fix? Thanks in advance :D

drkalo

Jul 13, 2009
Sofia
Hi. I think the lack of custom ROMs is because the device is fairly new - hence - not that popular, additionaly being an Android tablet. I ditched my Iconia A500 years ago and never thought I would go for a tablet again until this gem came out. I would recommend you to try it first for some time and play with it because there are tons of features (literally) in this device that would doubtedly work on any custom ROM in the beginning. At least that's my personal opinion - stick with stock for some time. Samsung have done a really great job! ....And what's more - Android 11 with One UI 3.1 is rolling out these days. It will allow you as far as I've heard to use Google discover on your foremost left screen instead of Samsung daily.

Reactions: Tomkumato

Tomkumato

Feb 2, 2018
Hi. I think the lack of custom ROMs is because the device is fairly new - hence - not that popular, additionaly being an Android tablet. I ditched my Iconia A500 years ago and never thought I would go for a tablet again until this gem came out. I would recommend you to try it first for some time and play with it because there are tons of features (literally) in this device that would doubtedly work on any custom ROM in the beginning. At least that's my personal opinion - stick with stock for some time. Samsung have done a really great job! ....And what's more - Android 11 with One UI 3.1 is rolling out these days. It will allow you as far as I've heard to use Google discover on your foremost left screen instead of Samsung daily.
great advice you changed my mind and I am running a dual booted oneplus 6t and I won't do stock. But like you said tons of stuff on this gorgeous tablet. especially dex l have never used it that is awesome okay have a great day C-ya.

Reactions: drkalo

LSS4181

Mar 13, 2012
Google Pixel C
Razer Phone 2
Hello everyone i am about to get tab s7+ and i love the table just one question we have root and twrp why there is no custom rom and if i am rooted how to update the software also what do i lose with root what magisk don't fix? Thanks in advance :D

A general thing to lose with root for all Samsung devices would be those Knox-related stuffs, namely Secure Folders.

I've been trying to boot a GSI on the tablet but up to now all attempts have failed. The tablet refused to boot, despite there were no problems with the flashing.

I personally don't really care about those Samsung features as I've very little use of them at the moment. I bought the tablet mainly for its size and its 120Hz display, but after using it for a while, it seems the tablet's stock firmware is indeed not good enough (especially with the Android 11 update) and unless there be plenty of hope for custom ROM/GSI, you'd better off getting a recent version of iPad Pro 12.9 inch for nearly the same price, if rooting is not important.

Last edited:

drkalo

Jul 13, 2009
Sofia
A general thing to lose with root for all Samsung devices would be those Knox-related stuffs, namely Secure Folders.

I've been trying to boot a GSI on the tablet but up to now all attempts have failed. The tablet refused to boot, despite there were no problems with the flashing.

I personally don't really care about those Samsung features as I've very little use of them at the moment. I bought the tablet mainly for its size and its 120Hz display, but after using it for a while, it seems the tablet's stock firmware is indeed not good enough (especially with the Android 11 update) and unless there be plenty of hope for custom ROM/GSI, you'd better off getting a recent version of iPad Pro 12.9 inch for nearly the same price, if rooting is not important.
Sorry but could you possibly share what's not good about the firmware? I've never used such a feature rich device before and everything runs smooth as butter, I'm using it as screen extender for Win10 laptop, Chromecasting, Samsung Secure folder with encryption, deeply integrated with all Samsung apps, I connected my 2TB NTFS external HDD with Paragon's NTFS plugin that allows NTFS write operations, home Internet runs at impressive speeds (50 and more MB per sec download), I draw a lot and the only thing that I've changed is the launcher. Of course if custom ROMs support all of these features it would be perfect!!!

LSS4181

Mar 13, 2012
Google Pixel C
Razer Phone 2
Sorry but could you possibly share what's not good about the firmware? I've never used such a feature rich device before and everything runs smooth as butter, I'm using it as screen extender for Win10 laptop, Chromecasting, Samsung Secure folder with encryption, deeply integrated with all Samsung apps, I connected my 2TB NTFS external HDD with Paragon's NTFS plugin that allows NTFS write operations, home Internet runs at impressive speeds (50 and more MB per sec download), I draw a lot and the only thing that I've changed is the launcher. Of course if custom ROMs support all of these features it would be perfect!!!
You're right about the other features. For office/productivity works this tablet is an excellent choice.

On the other hand, this tablet's performance is very disappointing when it comes to gaming. I'm currently dealing with some touch-related issues when playing games (none of which would be a fatal issue for office/productivity), and comparing to my old tablets, I was expecting much more performance according to its specifications.

I think the tablet was never meant for gaming at all to begin with, however the specifications.

Reactions: drkalo

Bushcat

I'm working on a lineageos 18.1 bringup but this is the first time I'm dooing this, so I don't expect it to work very well. I'm fairly new to android development but recently I got official maintainer for resurrection remix for the oneplus 6 and 6T.

Here is my current progress, I will make the vendor repository next:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm working on a lineageos 18.1 bringup but this is the first time I'm dooing this, so I don't expect it to work very well. I'm fairly new to android development but recently I got official maintainer for resurrection remix for the oneplus 6 and 6T.

Here is my current progress, I will make the vendor repository next:

great advice you changed my mind and I am running a dual booted oneplus 6t and I won't do stock. But like you said tons of stuff on this gorgeous tablet. especially dex l have never used it that is awesome okay have a great day C-ya.
    You're right about the other features. For office/productivity works this tablet is an excellent choice.

On the other hand, this tablet's performance is very disappointing when it comes to gaming. I'm currently dealing with some touch-related issues when playing games (none of which would be a fatal issue for office/productivity), and comparing to my old tablets, I was expecting much more performance according to its specifications.

I think the tablet was never meant for gaming at all to begin with, however the specifications.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone