Custom roms may now be able to OTA

Search This thread

poit

May 10, 2009
Colorado

shook187

Oct 1, 2010
Haverhill MA
Hmmm. not sure if this is good news or scary. Without really good security on these OTA update servers it seems like a malicious developer could spoof an update and offer anything they wanted masquerading as an update.

Like any OTA, take it at your discretion. I rather just wait for it to get posted on XDA.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda premium

sparko2010

Oct 13, 2010
This isn't new really. I have had ROMs that offered otas on other phones but it is sketchy at best. The news here is that its going to be easier instead of the dev having to create all the code on their own. I think this could cause some problems though. When I flash an update to cm10 I have to flash gapps and then flash on screen buttons. When there is another kernel available I'll be flashing that as well. So unless you can tell it what all to flash automatically afterwards its not for me.

xCovErtWolFx757

Jan 15, 2012
Virginia Beach
This isn't new really. I have had ROMs that offered otas on other phones but it is sketchy at best. The news here is that its going to be easier instead of the dev having to create all the code on their own. I think this could cause some problems though. When I flash an update to cm10 I have to flash gapps and then flash on screen buttons. When there is another kernel available I'll be flashing that as well. So unless you can tell it what all to flash automatically afterwards its not for me.

It's flashes new components there won't be a need to flash gapps and other flashables. And obviously as others have stated, it's not new. You don't need to repeat what others have said. (no offense)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2