• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Custom Software for a smartwatch to measure blood pressure without an smartphone?

Search This thread

John_Doe_

Jul 27, 2021
Hello everyone,

recently it turned out that I have trouble with high blood pressure.
At first I tried to use an ordinary cuff sphygmomanometer.
The readings from it are highly volatile: From around 140 mmHg Dia to 160 mmHg Dia within the span of a few minutes.
At first I thought the sphygmomanometer was broken, so I had it checked against the one from the doctor and it turns out mine is fine.

It seems that in order for me to learn where I stand with my blood pressure, I need to measure it regularly, maybe every 20 to 30 minutes, at best even at nights.
The cuff type sphygmomanometers are way to bulky and loud for that.

So I thought of the Samsung Galaxy Watch 3, which seems to be the only medicine rated smartwatch on the market right now.
But this seems to only work with a modern Samsung smart phone, which I don't have and don't want to buy.
And I'm also not too keen on sharing this kind of data with Samsung (and the rest of the world) and going with all the other market imposed restrictions.

Is there a way to get an device that measures the blood pressure silently every 20 to 30 minutes and once a day (or so) connect it directly to my Fedora-PC to unload the values as a .csv-file?
From there I can write my own analytic-tools in R.
I'm a computer guy, so I can write a script for or flash a new software on it, I just have no clue about smartwatches and the their software.

Thank you in advance :)

kodiak799

Jan 17, 2012
It would be handy if it took several reading throughout the day when it detected you had been sitting down for 15 minutes.

But because of how all you need to sit to get a proper reading, no one has automated tracking. I don't think GW3 allows you to code/script anything advanced when the watch is in dim mode.

Now the new GW4 with WearOS could be interesting, because with WearOS you could POTENTIALLY have the ability to automate a BPM reading with either scripts or Tasker.

If you need frequent monitoring, you're never going to get the needed quality of reading with a passive/automated approach. BPM is a little bit of a novelty on GW3 - useful mainly only for tracking lifestyle changes.

John_Doe_

Jul 27, 2021
Thank you for helping me here :)

as far as I know the measurement gets more inaccurate when you keep moving or shuffling around, but it still works. My idea to deal with that was just averaging stuff out over some time, maybe an hour or even a whole day. But the manual triggering means that you can't measure at night, which is a big part of the purpose for me.

I still want to regularly use a medicine rated cuff sphygmomanometer, so I can deal with a bit of measurement drift/inaccuracy.

I haven't invested in anything yet, for me it also would be fine to use a other model (maybe a fitbit?), if that's more realistic. Maybe I should move this thread to another part of the forum.

So it seems like there is a lot of movement in the wearable market regarding this feature. Maybe it's best I wait for another year or so to see how things have progressed by then.

kodiak799

Jan 17, 2012
It's a great idea to tinker with. But it seems fairly simple, and if averaging produced reliably accurate results, I'm sure Apple/Sammie would have already implemented this.

Also the fact Sammie still hasn't gotten FDA approval for BPM in the US. Not sure how the standards differ by country, but good chance it's doesn't meet the bar as a medical grade device (hence lack of approval in the US).