[CWM] 6.0.3.3 for HP Slate 7

Search This thread

rjwil1086

Jan 12, 2011
Tulsa
Moto Z2 Force
OnePlus 8T
I have successfully built ClockworkMod for our HP Slate 7. I have been successful in backup and restore to and from internal SD and external SD. This is confirmed working on 2800 series and 4600 series tablets.

Prerequisites
You must have root to install this.
- Download ROOT install tool http://www.sjroot.com
- After tablet is rooted, install SuperSU from the market and update the su binary
- Verify root access with Root Checker or equivilent

Updates
-Confirmed working on 2800 series by user Joshua11007! Thanks!
-Confirmed working on 4600 series by goodguy25. Thanks!
-Added download link to stock recovery

Install at your own risk. I or anyone else am not responsible for the damage caused to your tablet or breaking warranty.

Issues
If you go into key test the only way out is to reboot is to hold the power button until tablet resets, but i think this normal.

Install from Windows *** Updated installer
  1. If your tablet isn't rooted, please root it first. You must also have ADB working in Windows. This installer will not work from Linux, but I will provide steps below to flash from linux too.
  2. Download attached zip file and extract on Windows PC.
  3. Follow back-up procedure below if you want to backup your factory recovery first. (This can be skipped but you won't have your factory recovery image anymore if you skip it).
  4. Run the Batch file labeled "Install-CWM.bat"
  5. Done! The script will automatically reboot the tablet into recovery when complete.

Install from Linux
  1. Ensure tablet is rooted
  2. Download attached file and unzip it
  3. Code:
    adb push recovery.img /sdcard/
  4. Code:
    adb shell dd if=/sdcard/recovery.img of=/dev/block/mtd/by-name/recovery
  5. Code:
    adb shell mv /system/recovery-from-boot.p /system/recovery-from-boot.p.old
  6. Done! You have copied the recovery image to the internal SD, copied it to the recovery partition, and moved the factory recovery image so it doesn't over-write CWM the next time you reboot.

Backup Procedure
  1. From your computer with ADB working
  2. Code:
    adb shell dd if=/dev/block/mtd/by-name/recovery of=/sdcard/factory-recovery.img
  3. Code:
    adb pull /sdcard/factory-recovery.img
  4. You have copied the recovery partition to your internal SD and copied it to your computer.

Download Link
CWM 6.0.3.3
http://goo.gl/GDbDyc - Mega (Link Fixed 11/13/2014)

Stock Recovery
http://goo.gl/cGtlt1 - Mega

Last edited:

J001E

Jul 16, 2013
Orocovis, Puerto Rico
Please can you upload a stock recovery backup? Thanks!!

I have successfully built ClockworkMod for our HP Slate 7. I have only tested this on my Slate, which is a 2800. I have been successful in backup and restore to and from internal SD and external SD. I don't have a ROM to test with yet but once I do, I will verify ROM installation works as well.

I hope this goes without saying, but I am the only person that has tested this, so install at your own risk. I or anyone else am not responsible for the damage caused to your tablet or breaking warranty.

Issues
None that I am aware of. Please let me know otherwise.

Install from Windows
  1. If your tablet isn't rooted, please root it first. You must also have ADB working in Windows. This installer will not work from Linux, but I will provide steps below to flash from linux too.
  3. Follow back-up procedure below if you want to backup your factory recovery first. (This can be skipped but you won't have your factory recovery image anymore if you skip it).
  5. Done! The script will automatically reboot the tablet into recovery when complete.

Install from Linux
  3. Code:
  4. Code:
  5. Code:
  6. Done! You have copied the recovery image to the internal SD, copied it to the recovery partition, and moved the factory recovery image so it doesn't over-write CWM the next time you reboot.

Backup Procedure
  2. Code:
  3. Code:
  4. You have copied the recovery partition to your internal SD and copied it to your computer.

Download Link
http://goo.gl/aGjiij - Mega

Please can you upload a stock recovery.img backup? Thanks!! :good:

goodguy25

Jan 10, 2011
Also works across 4600 models. Just don't use key test as you'll trap yourself inside and have to power off manually.

Sent from my HP Slate 7 using Tapatalk

jerbear294

Recognized Contributor
Oct 9, 2013
Google Pixel 4a
Just so you guys know I got a request to port my custom ROM for the Slate 7 Plus to the Slate 7 and worst case scenario I can get a build out Monday.

Sent from my Sero 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: Python.

Python.

Nov 4, 2011
If I were you, I would get the Cwm recovery on to the tablet, then using terminal emulator to backup the stock recovery and install the Cwm one.

Sent from my HP Slate 7 using Tapatalk

Could you clarify that? How would I get CWM recovery on to the tablet? I'm getting the error message when running the Batch file 'Install-CWM.bat'. The cmd console has that message about permission being denied and then it says installation complete and press to reboot. When rebooting, it goes to the stock recovery...

jerbear294

Recognized Contributor
Oct 9, 2013
Google Pixel 4a
Could you clarify that? How would I get CWM recovery on to the tablet? I'm getting the error message when running the Batch file 'Install-CWM.bat'. The cmd console has that message about permission being denied and then it says installation complete and press to reboot. When rebooting, it goes to the stock recovery...

Try taking the CWM .IMG file and flashing it via Flashify.

rjwil1086

Jan 12, 2011
Tulsa
Moto Z2 Force
OnePlus 8T
I looked through my batch script. I think I need to modify it because it's not executing as root. Use the steps I created for Linux except from Windows command prompt. That's all the batch file is doing.

Sent from my LG-E970 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Python.

Nov 4, 2011
Try taking the CWM .IMG file and flashing it via Flashify.

I tried this but when I open Flashify, it says 'You don't have root/superuser access'. But, Root Checker says that I have root and SuperSU is working...

I looked through my batch script. I think I need to modify it because it's not executing as root. Use the steps I created for Linux except from Windows command prompt. That's all the batch file is doing.

Sent from my LG-E970 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

I tried doing that but there's an error on Step 2:

It states that:

Code:
/dev/block/mtd/by-name/recovery: cannot open for write: Permission denied

Last edited:

jerbear294

Recognized Contributor
Oct 9, 2013
Google Pixel 4a
I tried this but when I open Flashify, it says 'You don't have root/superuser access'. But, Root Checker says that I have root and SuperSU is working...

I tried doing that but there's an error on Step 2:

It states that:

Code:
/dev/block/mtd/by-name/recovery: cannot open for write: Permission denied

Strange. Try rerooting, both issues are connected to root. It could be the SU binary as well, does SuperSU want you to update?

Last edited:

jerbear294

Recognized Contributor
Oct 9, 2013
Google Pixel 4a
I'll need a bit more time to make the ROM. Sorry guys, I've been trying to tackle an issue with porting CWM to the Slate 7 Plus. I will definitely have a ROM for you guys by the time Saturday rolls around.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have successfully built ClockworkMod for our HP Slate 7. I have been successful in backup and restore to and from internal SD and external SD. This is confirmed working on 2800 series and 4600 series tablets.

Prerequisites
    You must have root to install this.
    - Download ROOT install tool http://www.sjroot.com
    - After tablet is rooted, install SuperSU from the market and update the su binary
    - Verify root access with Root Checker or equivilent

Updates
    -Confirmed working on 2800 series by user Joshua11007! Thanks!
    -Confirmed working on 4600 series by goodguy25. Thanks!
    -Added download link to stock recovery

Install at your own risk. I or anyone else am not responsible for the damage caused to your tablet or breaking warranty.

Issues
    If you go into key test the only way out is to reboot is to hold the power button until tablet resets, but i think this normal.

Install from Windows *** Updated installer

Install from Linux
    3. Code:
    4. Code:
    5. Code:

Backup Procedure
    2. Code:
    3. Code:

Download Link
    CWM 6.0.3.3
    http://goo.gl/GDbDyc - Mega (Link Fixed 11/13/2014)

Stock Recovery
    http://goo.gl/cGtlt1 - Mega
    For future reference, if the install method in the OP does not work, then try the following:

jerbear294 said:
    Download the CWM recovery image to your Slate 7 nand name it recovery.img
    Then do the following in Terminal Emulator:
    su
    dd if=/path/to/recovery.img of=/dev/mtd/mtd3
    Reboot into recovery and hope for the best.

jerbear294 said:
    By /path/to/recovery.img I meant replace that with the path that you saved the recovery.img to. So by default you would put /sdcard/downloads/recovery.img

All credit goes to jerbear294 who helped me install CWM when the instructions in the OP didn't work.

An alternative to this is here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=50183929. This method, also, transfers the CWM file, renamed recovery.img, to the tablet. Then, it uses the following command to install the modified recovery.img:
    Code:
    dd if=/sdcard/recovery.img of=/dev/block/mtd/by-name/recovery
    That's great news! I'll download it as soon as I can install CWM on my tablet. I've tried following various methods to install CWM but none of them have worked...

Just for future reference, how does your ROM differ from stock? What changes have you made?

Thanks again for porting your ROM!

If you look in the thread I linked I explain everything, but basically it replaces the stock launcher with Apex, removes some Google Play bloatware, and adds the Xposed Framework and a few modules, including GravityBox, which makes Android almost as customizable as CyanogenMod.

I just finished making a ROM for you guys. Feature-wise it is on par with my JB-SlatePlusROM except for the fact that it is not deodexed because I promised you guys a ROM Saturday, and it's Saturday in some places.
    It will be a while before it's available... Mediafire uploading + TeamViewer connecting to my build server = about an hour and a half until uploaded.

EDIT: Next hurdle: CyanogenMod. @rjwil1086 when you send me your birch folder can you also send me your pine folder?