[CWM-APP] full_wipe && easy_upgrade_wipe ZIPs [EXT2,3&4], last updated [2014-06-23]

Search This thread

dr4go

Dec 17, 2010
Vienna
[CWM-APP] full_wipe && easy_upgrade_wipe ZIPs [EXT2,3&4], last updated [2014-06-23]

Hello everybody! :)

I got inspired by mero01, who made similar tools for my previous mobile phone, the HTC Desire HD.

Imho a new version of an Android ROM should NEVER ever do a full wipe. Personally I prefer to wipe on my own AND to _personally_ have the option which file system is going to be used.

That's why I've created my own zip files, which do either a FULL_wipe or an easy_upgrade_wipe.

These zip files could work on multiple phones, but they are only tested and confirmed to be working on the LG Optimus 2x (P990). Just for the sake I've also implemented a check inside of them if that's the phone, which the wipe(s) are performed on.

**** !NONE WILL FORMAT YOUR SDCARD! ****

I DON'T TAKE ANY RESPONSIBILTY FOR DATA LOSS OR ANY DAMAGE CAUSED TO YOUR DEVICES. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!! UNDO IS NOT POSSIBLE!

PREREQUISITES:

* Clockworkmod Recovery (recommended version: v6.0.2.5)

INSTRUCTIONS FOR EVERY FILE:

Code:
1. Download the zip file you want.
2. Place it anywhere in your /sdcard/
3. Reboot into CWM recovery
4. Install zip from sdcard
5. CONFRIM --- CAUTION! THIS IS UNDO-ABLE!!!
6. done :)
7. Don't reboot, flash any rom you want
8. Flash it
9. Reboot and have fun! ;)

FULL_WIPES

This patch comes in two versions (EXT3 and EXT4) and needs to be applied prior to the flash of any ROM. It will WIPE your device and format all partitions either in EXT3 or EXT4.

Wipes performed:
* SYSTEM
* DATA
* CACHE (always EXT3)
* Cleaned temporary SDCARD data ("/sdcard/.data/navigator/Data/Temporary")

EASY_UPGRADE_WIPES

These patches also come in the previous two versions (EXT3 and EXT4) and there is an additonal lite variation, which won't wipe your dalvik cache. Use the easy upgrade wipes if you DON'T want to remove your data (especially useful for ROM upgrades)!

Wipes performed:
* SYSTEM
* CACHE (always EXT3)
* non lite versions: Wipes the dalvik cache on DATA

NO_JOURNAL

This won't do any wipes, but will remove the JOURNAL(S) on your file systems. If it gets applied to EXT3 partitions it clearly results in EXT2 partitions.
You will get the fastest possible EXT* file systems if it is applied to the EXT4 partitions.
It can also be applied on already existing file systems, although I'd suggest to use a clean file system. Make a backup if you still want to perform it, because it can be dangerous!

Wipes performed:
* NONE

CHANGELOG:

Code:
[U]2014-06-23[/U]

- New LITE easy upgrade wipes available, which won't clean your dalvik cache.

[U]2012-12-10[/U]

FULL_WIPES & EASY_UPGRADE_WIPES v0.5 (ICS versions only)
- Fixed system partition wipe.

[U]2012-11-27[/U]

FULL_WIPES & EASY_UPGRADE_WIPES v0.4
- Fixed progress bars.
- Now available in two versions: one for the old (GB), one for the new (ICS) partition layout
- Easy upgrade wipes will now also clean the dalvik cache
- All full and easy wipes re-made from scratch, please use with care and eventually perform a backup before using them.

[U]2011-12-28[/U]

FULL_WIPES & EASY_UPGRADE_WIPES v0.3
- First public release

[U]2012-12-10[/U]

NO_JOURNAL v0.3 (ICS version only)
- Fixed system partition converting.

[U]2012-11-27[/U]

NO_JOURNAL v0.2
- Fixed progress bars

[U]2011-12-28[/U]

NO_JOURNAL v0.1
- First public release

Have fun! :)

Greetings,
dr4go

Attachments

• 0-old_easy_upgrade_wipe_0.4o_ext3.zip
    350.2 KB · Views: 75
  • 0-old_easy_upgrade_wipe_0.4o_ext4.zip
    350.2 KB · Views: 72
  • 0-old_full_wipe_0.4o_ext3.zip
    350.2 KB · Views: 60
  • 0-old_full_wipe_0.4o_ext4.zip
    350.2 KB · Views: 89
  • 0-old_no_journal_0.2o.zip
    160.1 KB · Views: 32
  • 0-new_easy_upgrade_wipe_0.5n_ext3.zip
    350.2 KB · Views: 40
  • 0-new_easy_upgrade_wipe_0.5n_ext4.zip
    350.2 KB · Views: 64
  • 0-new_full_wipe_0.5n_ext3.zip
    350.2 KB · Views: 74
  • 0-new_full_wipe_0.5n_ext4.zip
    350.2 KB · Views: 144
  • 0-new_no_journal_0.3n.zip
    160.1 KB · Views: 36
  • 0-new_easy_upgrade_wipe_lite_0.5n_ext3.zip
    350.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 0-new_easy_upgrade_wipe_lite_0.5n_ext4.zip
    350.2 KB · Views: 23
  • 0-old_easy_upgrade_wipe_lite_0.4o_ext3.zip
    350.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 0-old_easy_upgrade_wipe_lite_0.4o_ext4.zip
    350.2 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

dr4go

Dec 17, 2010
Vienna
Frequently asked questions (FAQ):

What is the difference between the o and n versions?
The o stands for OLD-, whereas n is an abbreviation for NEW-partitioning layout. Unfortunately LG changed the location of the data partition (from mmcblk0p8 to mmcblk0p9).

Last edited:

koboltzz

Dec 26, 2008
By default CWM will only format your partitions in ext3. Now you can choose ext4 which is usefull for ROMs/kernel with ext4 support but do not format the partitions in ext4. Also, you can use ext2 now the easy way.

Last edited:
Reactions: dr4go

dr4go

Dec 17, 2010
Vienna
By default CWM will only format your partitions in ext3. Now you can choose ext4 which is usefull for ROMs/kernel with ext4 support but do not format the partitions in ext4. Also, you can use ext2 now the easy way.

Exactly. :) Thanks for the answer koboltzz.

For the HTC Desire HD there was also an EXT4 version of CWM available, which changed the default algorithms of the "Wipe data/Factory reset" and the "Format" options to EXT4.

But with the latter possibility you loose the ability to format EXT3 partitions. That's also why I always used mero01's zip files to accomplish wipes.
Imho it's the best option, because if you REMOVE the formatting lines from the ROMs you want to flash it's absolutely no problem to also use an EXT3 designed ROM (like Hypnos2X for example) on EXT4 file systems (that's the operating system I'm currently on).

And I tell you also because I dislike the FULL wipes on nearly every ROM available for the LG Optimus 2X. If you have a problem and just want to reinstall the ROM without loosing any data there is no way to do that.
Yes, an easy wipe should always be done by the standard ROM zip itself - of course... but I've always also removed those lines, because that way you also get the freedom of the file system.

It's up to you... ;)

koboltzz

Dec 26, 2008
sadly, I must report, that 0-full_wipe_0.3_ext4.zip is not working as expected.
Using it and after that flashing Fr19 with ext4 Kernel (from modaco) -> no boot at all ->freezing
This will not happen, if you first do a fullwipe by cwm (ext3), then flash Fr19 and after that use the universal converter to ext4 from benee.
But this only changes data and system partition to ext4 by default.

There is definitely something wrong with the script, an other example:
First flashing 0-full_wipe_0.3_ext4.zip
after that Fr19 ROM (up to this point it would have been a bootfreeze, look above)
and after that flashing universal converter to ext4, phone will boot now, but will not be able to install any app 'there is insufficient space' (which is totally not true), most likely because cache partition is fu.cked up by 0-full_wipe_0.3_ext4.zip :p

Time for version 0.4 ;)

Last edited:

owain94

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 21, 2010
The Hague
Unfortunately not yet... But I'll promise you: It's the next on my todo list, because it bugs me too.

hey dr4go got something weird here...

when i flash your ext3 zip everything is fine atleast the mount command say so
but then when i want to convert them to ext2 something really weirds occur the system partition becomes ext2 but the data and cache partition become ext4 according to the mount command :confused: using recovery 5.0.2.7R2

Striatum_bdr

May 29, 2011
Marseille
Here is the convert tool made by Topogigi, and slightly modified by me to include /system conversion.
/cache has not the same parameters it seems.

Last edited:

dr4go

Dec 17, 2010
Vienna
ONly comment I can do is: Nice to see you my friend! How are you?

Everything fine here! :) Nice to see you too. I finally found some free time and also motivation, because of the marvellously working CyanogenMod 10 on our phones. It's unbelievable... I was nearly freaking out when reading the notice. :)

And you? How are you? Hopefully everything is also great on your side?

dr4go

Dec 17, 2010
Vienna
maybe you can do this thing for the new Bootloader.
i try,but stay in Bootloop:(
Maybe you have a good Idea

What exactly did you do? And which ROM did you try to flash afterwards? Imho the zips should be fixed now - I didn't encounter a single problem since using them.

cojo11

Mar 15, 2011
hamburg
i try it with ICS 28E and 28G for my Ghostrider Aroma Rom with new Partition Layout,but when i use ext3 or ext4 i got a Bootloop,i put the stuff in the Updater-Script,all runs with Aroma and lokks fine but when i reboot,i got the Bootloop

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Hello everybody! :)

I got inspired by mero01, who made similar tools for my previous mobile phone, the HTC Desire HD.

Imho a new version of an Android ROM should NEVER ever do a full wipe. Personally I prefer to wipe on my own AND to _personally_ have the option which file system is going to be used.

That's why I've created my own zip files, which do either a FULL_wipe or an easy_upgrade_wipe.

These zip files could work on multiple phones, but they are only tested and confirmed to be working on the LG Optimus 2x (P990). Just for the sake I've also implemented a check inside of them if that's the phone, which the wipe(s) are performed on.

**** !NONE WILL FORMAT YOUR SDCARD! ****

I DON'T TAKE ANY RESPONSIBILTY FOR DATA LOSS OR ANY DAMAGE CAUSED TO YOUR DEVICES. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!! UNDO IS NOT POSSIBLE!

PREREQUISITES:

* Clockworkmod Recovery (recommended version: v6.0.2.5)

INSTRUCTIONS FOR EVERY FILE:

Code:
    1. Download the zip file you want.
    2. Place it anywhere in your /sdcard/
    3. Reboot into CWM recovery
    4. Install zip from sdcard
    5. CONFRIM --- CAUTION! THIS IS UNDO-ABLE!!!
    6. done :)
    7. Don't reboot, flash any rom you want
    8. Flash it
    9. Reboot and have fun! ;)

FULL_WIPES

This patch comes in two versions (EXT3 and EXT4) and needs to be applied prior to the flash of any ROM. It will WIPE your device and format all partitions either in EXT3 or EXT4.

Wipes performed:
    * SYSTEM
    * DATA
    * CACHE (always EXT3)

EASY_UPGRADE_WIPES

These patches also come in the previous two versions (EXT3 and EXT4) and there is an additonal lite variation, which won't wipe your dalvik cache. Use the easy upgrade wipes if you DON'T want to remove your data (especially useful for ROM upgrades)!

Wipes performed:
    * SYSTEM
    * CACHE (always EXT3)
    * non lite versions: Wipes the dalvik cache on DATA

NO_JOURNAL

This won't do any wipes, but will remove the JOURNAL(S) on your file systems. If it gets applied to EXT3 partitions it clearly results in EXT2 partitions.
    You will get the fastest possible EXT* file systems if it is applied to the EXT4 partitions.
    It can also be applied on already existing file systems, although I'd suggest to use a clean file system. Make a backup if you still want to perform it, because it can be dangerous!

Wipes performed:
    * NONE

CHANGELOG:

Code:
    [U]2014-06-23[/U]

- New LITE easy upgrade wipes available, which won't clean your dalvik cache.

[U]2012-12-10[/U]

FULL_WIPES & EASY_UPGRADE_WIPES v0.5 (ICS versions only)
    - Fixed system partition wipe.

[U]2012-11-27[/U]

FULL_WIPES & EASY_UPGRADE_WIPES v0.4
    - Fixed progress bars.
    - Now available in two versions: one for the old (GB), one for the new (ICS) partition layout
    - Easy upgrade wipes will now also clean the dalvik cache
    - All full and easy wipes re-made from scratch, please use with care and eventually perform a backup before using them.

[U]2011-12-28[/U]

FULL_WIPES & EASY_UPGRADE_WIPES v0.3
    - First public release

[U]2012-12-10[/U]

NO_JOURNAL v0.3 (ICS version only)
    - Fixed system partition converting.

[U]2012-11-27[/U]

NO_JOURNAL v0.2
    - Fixed progress bars

[U]2011-12-28[/U]

NO_JOURNAL v0.1
    - First public release

Have fun! :)

Greetings,
    dr4go
    Updated the op - stay tuned for another ROM thread to come. ;)
    Although it's slightly offtopic I'm mentioning it here for those waiting (if any)... originally I wanted to release my ROM before the holiday's, but unfortunately I had not enough time to publish it... the ROM itself is ready - I'm carrying it with me (and also running it right now) the whole time.

I tried to upload it now three times... and three times it has failed to upload.

That's why I've decided to postpone the release about to the 23th-ish of July. And as I've previously stated... don't expect too much, but the ROM itself will come... :)

EDIT: Small update: The ROM is now the second point on my todo list as I still found a problem, which I need to solve first. The second point on the todo list, because I have to update the phone of my girlfriend first. So... probably this weekend / early next week. :)
    First (and second) post(s) updated. ;)

And I'll promise you also to release something bigger next time. Guesses won't be commented. :D
    This thread should be placed on top of this forum
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone