• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[CWM] Bootstrap Recovery

Search This thread

kennethpenn

Retired Forum Mod / Retired Recognized Developer
Nov 29, 2006
Washington, D.C.
briefmobile.com
Last edited:

kennethpenn

Nov 29, 2006
Washington, D.C.
briefmobile.com
I know what ROM's are, never heard anyone say psuedo-ROM.

Sent from my MB855 using XDA App
Psuedo meaning "not really" a ROM. A locked bootloader will prevent true custom ROMs, but P-ROMs will be possible.

P-ROMs are based off of stock files and modifications. They don't replace the kernel or modem.

sub2k1

Oct 15, 2009
Long Island, NY
Yup i installed this and rebooted into recovery mode. It worked just fine for me. What happens if Sprint releases an OTA update? Can i recover root access or downgrade with this? Sounds like I can't because I can't modify the kernel.

Sent from my MB855 using XDA Premium App

Reactions: dragontology

b-reezy

Nov 4, 2010
I can't seem to get mine to reboot into CWM. I run the apk, hit install recovery, says installed sucessfully, hit recovery mode and it reboots back into system.

kennethpenn

Nov 29, 2006
Washington, D.C.
briefmobile.com
I can't seem to get mine to reboot into CWM. I run the apk, hit install recovery, says installed sucessfully, hit recovery mode and it reboots back into system.
Make sure your device is plugged into the wall charger when you do Reboot Recovery. That's the only way it'll work since it's a bootstrap recovery.

mikeyinid

Sep 4, 2010
Boise
Can you explain why this is? I'm a little confused as to what makes a "bootstrap recovery" different from a regularly flashed "recovery.img".

Caveats:
This is not a *real* recovery. The way this recovery works is by hijacking portions of your boot process during system initialization and starting into recovery instead. So, if you hose your system *COMPLETELY* you will need to SBF. Specifically, if your logwrapper, logwrapper.bin, or hijack binary are missing from /system/bin, you will be screwed.

This is from koush himself concerning droid x/2 bootstrap. I would seriously wait til an sbf surfaces before flashing any of these "psuedo-ROMS" or even just deleting any system apk's. Just my opinion.

urcboss07

Aug 4, 2007
Yup i installed this and rebooted into recovery mode. It worked just fine for me. What happens if Sprint releases an OTA update? Can i recover root access or downgrade with this? Sounds like I can't because I can't modify the kernel.

Sent from my MB855 using XDA Premium App

Does the phone need to be rooted first in order to installl this recovery apk?

sub2k1

Oct 15, 2009
Long Island, NY
So what specifically did this do to my phone? What files were modified to allow this to run at bootup? Anybody have any info on this (just in case I want to return my phone to stock.)

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    We've tested and can confirm this bootstrap recovery is working. Thank you to bane449 for testing. The recovery is a straight APK pull from the Droid X2. Worked thanks to the similarities between devices.

Instructions and download:
    http://briefmobile.com/motorola-photon-4g-root-custom-recovery-now-available
    I know what ROM's are, never heard anyone say psuedo-ROM.

Sent from my MB855 using XDA App
    Psuedo meaning "not really" a ROM. A locked bootloader will prevent true custom ROMs, but P-ROMs will be possible.

P-ROMs are based off of stock files and modifications. They don't replace the kernel or modem.
    Can you explain why this is? I'm a little confused as to what makes a "bootstrap recovery" different from a regularly flashed "recovery.img".

Caveats:
    This is not a *real* recovery. The way this recovery works is by hijacking portions of your boot process during system initialization and starting into recovery instead. So, if you hose your system *COMPLETELY* you will need to SBF. Specifically, if your logwrapper, logwrapper.bin, or hijack binary are missing from /system/bin, you will be screwed.

This is from koush himself concerning droid x/2 bootstrap. I would seriously wait til an sbf surfaces before flashing any of these "psuedo-ROMS" or even just deleting any system apk's. Just my opinion.
    Looks successful to me: DroidX2 Recovery GFAN.COM V2.5.1.8

And it booted back into Android properly, even :D